JWT’s “Last Rifle” Update: The Ruger No. 1 Is Almost Home

Custom Ruger No 1 Rifle

My dream rifle, the “Last Rifle I’ll Ever Need” is almost complete. I just got these photos of the Ruger No. 1 and it looks amazing.

Custom Ruger No. 1 Rifle

Ruger No1 JWT’s Last Rifle riser (image courtesy kiotecorp.com)

Owen Armstrong of Rifles Refined did an amazing job on the custom stock set.  The hand carved black walnut stocks feature hand cut stippling and decorative lines, as well as a hidden riser so that I can go between iron sights and glass and still keep a good cheek-stock weld.

Much of the wait time on this rifle was unanticipated. No one expected our benevolent overlords (in their infinite wisdom) to take months to approve two pieces of wood crossing the border from Canada to the US. Of course, once carved, they became gun parts, and thus treated exactly as would parts for a full auto Bulgarian AK-47.

Custom Ruger No. 1 Rifle

Ruger No1 JWT’s Last Rifle forestock (image courtesy kiotecorp.com)

The custom 26-inch medium contour Pac Nor barrel has been completely re-blued and refinished by Midwest Gun Works.

John Stewart of Kiote Rifles was in charge of the project, put it all together and replaced the trigger with a 1.5lb pull form JARD.

There have been a bunch of little details Stewart got just right, like the sights, and he’s got a few more details to finish out before the first firing. Then it’s headed to Texas and my eager arms.

Then it will travel with me to Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, Argentina, Africa, and the world.

Custom Ruger No 1 Rifle

Ruger No1 JWT’s Last Rifle receiver (image courtesy kiotecorp.com)

As promised, I’ll keep TTAG up to date on performance and the finished product.

Any suggestions on a world class leather maker for a sling (a real sling, not carrying strap) and scabbard?

comments

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Nice gun. Can’t wait to read range report(s).

2. avatar Gapharmd says:

Not a 6.5 creedmoor

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

He’ll have to get it rebarreled.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Hey, Gov –

In honor and recognition of the image you use with your nic, I just saw this pic –

Almost looks like he’s had some experience doing that, doen’t it?

*snicker* 😉

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Love the absolutely disgusted look on the wookie’s face!

2. avatar Bloving says:

(3.147 to the face)
      Sorry. Couldn’t find a “pie” emoticon or a “pi” symbol.
      🤠

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

I thought it was 3.14159…

3. avatar Sich says:

At the Very Least it looks Interesting! But I don’t know? There’s really not a whole lot of Information in the article about it…

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

4. avatar Bloving says:

Pie to the face of the first guy who says it should be 6.5 Creedmore.

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

Not me.

This time…

2. avatar Illinois_Minion says:

Looks like a 375 Creedmore

Creedmore makes it better.

5. avatar pieslapper says:

How can it be the last one if it’s not Creedmoor? That’s the be all, end all of the calibers, the one to rule them all, the caliber all others must bow before. All hail Creedmoor! And hallowed be its name.

1. avatar Sich says:

I suspect they said the same thing about the .45-70, until the .30-06 came alone…

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

Sure, but the only way the 6.5 Creedmoor could be improved is if it gave you BJs in the deer blind.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

The only way to improve on the Creed is to make a double barrel Creed…

2. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

Usually you have to pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

The .45-70 may be older than my grandfather (he was born in 1897), but I still want one. If the Democrats can have rainbows and unicorns, I can have a rifle that shoots a bullet in a rainbow arc that lands like a ton of bricks.

1. avatar El Duderino says:

It’s remarkable how so many 19th century cartridges just won’t go away. .45/70 is just so versatile (I own one).

Virtually all shotgun chamberings are 19th century. .22LR. 7mm Mauser can hold its own ballistically with chamberings that came out yesterday. .45 Colt and .38 S&W Special, while in their modern forms are a bit hot for 19th century iron, are still useful and immensely popular.

I bought two guns this week, a .22LR and a .38 Special.

I still don’t own a 21st century cartridge gun, though I’m sure I’ll be on the 6.5 Grendel train before the year is out. While I own a .450 Bushmaster, from what I understand it’s basically a “rebranding” of the .45 Professional from the 1980s/1990s timeframe.

Bravo on the OP for going with a classic, old-school chambering!

2. avatar CarlosT says:

Thy kingdom come…

3. avatar Lucas D. says:

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOUR HUBRIS HAS WROUGHT?! DO YOU SEE NOW THE RECKONING, JEREMY S.!? LOOK UPON IT, AND DESPAAAAAAAAIR!!

…Also, I like the .308; it’s a fine cartridge once you get to know it.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

I think this whole creedmoor nonsense can be summed up with, “beware what you wish for.”

6. avatar johnny go lightly says:

9.3x62mm ?

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Love that caliber, but no, .375H&H Magnum

7. avatar darkstar says:

That is an absolutely beautiful rifle, really dig the walnut. I would call BS on the “last rifle I’ll ever need”, but you didn’t say the last rifle I’ll ever WANT so……

Seriously, a stunning firearm.

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

That is stunning! Gorgeous.
    I use Ted Blocker in Tigard, OR for my leather needs. Good folks and very high quality.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Thank you sir. Your opinion carries a lot of weight.

9. avatar Boley Oh says:

He made the stock out of a shoe stretcher?

10. avatar rt66paul says:

You are all so fickle, we all know .9MM rules

11. avatar Rocketscientist says:

throwing money at the screen but nothing happening. Love that falling block stuff for reasons I can’t explain. Like loading a 105.

12. avatar Akprototype says:

For the sling and/or scabbard , I’d suggest Dimond D Custom Leather in Wasilla , Alaska. I’ve had a few of their products over the years and all have been outstanding.

13. avatar ironicatbest says:

That rifle is beautiful. Me jealous.

14. avatar Anonymous says:

Not a big enough magazine.

Takes too long to reload.

1. avatar Nigel the Expat says:

Pfft. You don’t have magazines for Ruger #1. You carry extra rifles!

Well, the caddy/Sherpa does. It would be vulgar to carry them yourself.

15. avatar neiowa says:

Black walnut is native to the US why wait for Cunukian wood? Purty wood but the No 1 really needs the Mannlicher forarm.

You putting some real irons on it (peep) or sticking with the 5 cent things Ruger loves?

And YES 6.5 Creedmore would be a GREAT choice.

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

The problem with the No.1 is you really need two. One RSI and one with the Alexander Henry forearm.

And perhaps if you were named after the Duke you probably need a third custom No. 1.

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

All three in Creedmoor, of cour se.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

I actually do have 2. The other is in .30-06.

1. avatar Former .308 Shooter says:

I’ve got a No.1A in .303 Brit which I thought was appropriate since that was probably the most common caliber in the original Farquharson rif les. I’d like to add an RSI and a tropical in at least .375H&H.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

It’s not Canadian wood, but a man in Canada carved it. Then it became an imported gun part when he shipped it back.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

That is so effed up. Like it has anything to do with sending a bullet.

3. avatar Nigel the Expat says:

“No one expected our benevolent overlords (in their infinite wisdom) to take months to approve two pieces of wood crossing the border from Canada to the US. ”

The inspection is critical. It might have been carrying ferrets, fruit, or non-922R parts. All of which are a scourge to the freedom and liberty of US citizens. Good job, border inspector people. Another tough case closed. (And the 2 ISIS terrorists packaged with the wood were given tourist VISAs)

/sarc

16. avatar ComfortablyNumb says:

Why did you go with the adjustable comb instead of a custom fit single piece stock?
    Definitely not knocking it or second guessing you…that stick is sexy.
    Edit: just read the part about the guy in Canada carving it. That probably made it tough to go for a custom fitting.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

“…as well as a hidden riser so that I can go between iron sights and glass and still keep a good cheek-stock weld.”

1. avatar ComfortablyNumb says:

I don’t read good.

17. avatar Slab Rankle says:

I guess I’ll be the Negative Nelly here.

The wood to metal fit where the buttstock joins the receiver is bad, and that recoil pad has all the charm and beauty of a gumboot.

Also, that hideous “high hat” safety that is the curse of all #1s should have been binned first thing.

Finally, although looks are subjective, I have to say that the baroque lines of the buttstock are not at all to my liking. Totally overdone.

I regret selling my #1B in .300 Weatherby Magnum. It was a bruiser but what a classic. Beautiful factory wood. Classic lines. Horrible “high hat” safety that would have long since been replaced.

Oh well. I guess I can always buy another one.

18. avatar Gun Owning American says:

The real question is, does it take ar mags?

1. avatar Nigel the Expat says:

Magazines? How vulgar. Your Sherpa carries extra rifles. Magazines are so déclassé.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Thank god, someone gets it.

19. avatar Lon Loren says:

Beautiful piece of work .Enjoy the rifle. It’s a beauty.

20. avatar Moltar says:

Wait they are building guns in calibers other than creedmooar!?!? The church of Creedmore, latter day 6.5mm Shall not abide this heresy!!! All glory and power to the Creedmoor Yea he who reacheth out farther than the lesser Tomahawk Cruise missile, he who anointeth our enemies with foot poundage exceeding a 200 megaton thermo nuclear bomb, he who possesses a kill radius larger than the largest mortars, Hallowed be thy name Creedmor the exalted one hath risen!!!

21. avatar Echo5Bravo says:

JWT. Try Tucker gun leather in Texas. His work is outstanding and of very high quality.

22. avatar Freeheel says:

I have a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. A match made in heaven. Standard stock, iron sights and a sling. No Creedmore can come close. Even with Creedmore magic points.

23. avatar Peter says:

This is a work of art that would look great hanging in my living room. Also, I’m not sure that I’d want a bang switch with only 1.5 lbs of pull unless I was target shooting in the Olympics.

24. avatar Peter says:

As for getting the perfect sling for this rifle, you could start your search here: