Buy Yourself the Father’s Day Present You Wanted But Didn’t Get

Father's Day Dad
  1. Another Father’s Day. What was it this year, a pair of socks? A set of socket wrenches? Maybe a(nother) ‘World’s Greatest Dad‘ coffee mug? Gee, thanks guys!

Now that you’ve eaten your special breakfast with the kiddies and said all the obligatory thank-you’s, it’s time for a real Father’s Day present. Which means (if you’re lucky) you can use that gift card they gave you or you’re just going to have to treat yourself. And why not…you deserve it!

Cabela’s is open today or, if you’ll be parked in front of the tube watching the US Open, you can shop on line at Brownells or Sportsman’s Guide. Either way, here are a few ideas for gear you know you need to satisfy the gun guy in you.

Father's Day Ammunition .223 Remington Ammo V-Shok Nosler

Ammunition – Q: How much ammo do you need? A: More. Enough said.

UpLuLa Magazine Loader

Ammo Loader – Sore thumbs at the range? Spending more time stuffing rounds in your mags than you are shooting? Pick up a good loader and keep those magazines topped off the easy way. An UpLULA is worth its weight in gold!

Rem Oil Gun Cleaning Supplies

Cleaning supplies – Action cleaner, CLP, Hoppe’s or Rem Oil? That’s the kind of cleaning gear every gun owner needs more of. Maybe some Swab-Its Bore Tips or a Bore Snake in that caliber you’re missing. Even if it’s just some lint-free patches, make sure your cleaning kit is fully stocked.

Electronic Hearing Protection

Ears – Sure, those foam plugs are good enough to get by so the range officer doesn’t hassle you, but you know you’ve always wanted a good set of electronic muffs. They’ll actually protect your hearing and let you carry on a conversation while muffling the concussions from guy next to you on the line who’s shooting that AR-10 with the muzzle brake. Peltor’s Tactical 500s have Bluetooth, dynamic suppression, and voice tracking. Whether listening to a podcast while mowing the lawn or taking calls on the range, these things are awesome.

Eyes – A good pair of eye pro is a must. If you’ve been making do with a pair of Home Depot specials, it’s time to upgrade. Get yourself a shooting-specific pair that lets you swap out different color lenses for changing light conditions and targets. It will make a huge difference in your comfort and your shooting.

Handgun Magazines

Magazines – It’s pretty much the same story as with ammunition. You simply never have enough. Make sure you have at least four for every semi-auto pistol you own, then build from there.

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

Sights – How about a new set of offset iron sights or a red dot for your AR? Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot is a great performer that won’t break the bank.

Streamlight TLR-1 HL Weapon Light Home Defense

Weapon Light – Whether it’s for your bump-in-the-night pistol or your hog-hunting rifle, a good flashlight like the Streamlight TLR-1 HL is a must.

Boker Kwaiken Gengleman's Knife EDC Blade

Pocket Knife – Man does not live by ballistics alone. You need a good EDC blade, too. At least one. Any why not make it something stylish and sleek like the Boker Kwaiken gentleman’s flipper?

Abrams Tank 120mm Shell Cashing Cigar Ash Tray

Ash Tray – You don’t want be seen flicking your stogie ashes into just any old tin can or dirty glass. Why not get yourself a purpose-built ash tray fashioned from an Abrams tank’s 120mm shell casing? You’re sure to be the only guy on the block with one.

Father’s Day is your day. Be sure to let the rugrats see you drinking from that #1 Dad mug, but don’t let the day pass without getting yourself something you really want, too. And have a good one.

comments

1. avatar Kevin says:

I like the ashtray but steep price, I guess I will have to make due with my dragster piston.

1. avatar Christopher Erickson says:

I have a Chevy L88 piston with cracked skirts I use as an ashtray. The king of muscle car engines as far as I am concerned. Bought an original set for a project back in the early 90s and 6 had cracks, so went with a set of skinny ring Vinolia pistons instead, and kept the one piston as an ashtray. A buddy has a piston from a Corsair radial engine.

2. avatar former water walker says:

I got WELL WISHES…😄

3. avatar Cruzo1981 says:

Thanks Brownells for the G19X! 😁😁😁😁😁

4. avatar Lucky dad says:

Thanks gunbroker for the lightly used Ruger Security 9 for $235 out the door.

5. avatar Bloving says:

I got doughnuts and coffee (oh HELL yeah!)
    I’ll be heading to the shop in a few hours to sell father’s day gifts to other dad’s with more money than me… but at least I got to play with your new toy before you did!
    🤠

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I woke up to fresh apple fritter doughnuts and coffee… I’d tongue kiss a flu-ridden Hillary for fresh apple fritter doughnuts.

1. avatar TrappedInCommiefornia says:

And my appetite is gone, thanks dude.

2. avatar pieslapper says:

Aaargh! Mind bleach! Mind bleach!

6. avatar No one of consequence says:

Really splurged – LaRue Tactical ultimate upper build kit in 6.5 Grendel. 🙂

1. avatar Nigel the Expat says:

Nice! Now that is treating yourself for father’s day.

I was out ringing in Father’s day at a bit after 5AM by ringing steel with my own 6.5 Grendel on the 1K yard range.

7. avatar MrBob says:

Love my Uplula loader. Saves my thumbs during a long day at the range.

1. avatar Ed Schrade says:

I got one for my XD and when it came in I thought, look at this plastic piece of crap. I tried it out and I really do like it. It’s easy and no blood loss on thumbs.

8. avatar ironicatbest says:

Your births and success with life have given me the greatest “present” I could ever recieve, I need no more. Pity the materialistic.

9. avatar RA-15 says:

Happy father’s day to you all.

A whole bucket of Creedmoors. Yippee!

1. avatar Dave in PTC says:

How many Creedmoors fit into a bucket? A 1 gallon bucket? A 5 gallon bucket? Is there such a thing as a bushel of Creedmoors? A wagonfull? How many Creedmoors fit into a sock drawer? If you lined up Creedmoors end on end how many would it take to circle the earth?

Here we go, running headlong into the second week celebrating Creedmoor. Yippee!!!!

11. avatar Travis says:

All I got was a damned text message.

(ingrate son with a bad attitude. He’s 33. Has a son too.)

1. avatar Mark N. says:

I haven’t gotten that much–thankfully. I’ve got the kids trained to understand that I do not celebrate Hallmark Holidays of Crass Commercial consumerism. (But the may defy that anyway with a phone call.)

1. avatar Travis says:

I don’t give a damn about consumerism either – rather work in my garden or clean some guns. He could at least bring my two year old grandson that I have seen three times in his life to visit. He only lives 30 minutes from me.

I’d cook them a steak.

(I’ll stop whining, just a little bit upset about it after all I went through raising the boy, he was born when I had just turned 19 and had jack shit to do it with, his mother ran off….gave him a stable home, put him through college, gave him a good truck, bought his first gun, gave him 25K to put down on a house….just seems like a shit deal. I’ll get over it.)

12. avatar uncommon_sense says:

How about a DPMS AR-15 for $400 after rebate (including sales tax)!

13. avatar neiowa says:

Well don’t buy it from a left wing website such as Amzaon

14. avatar anonymoose says:

I got my grandpa a baseball cap. I was going to take my dad fishing, but now he doesn’t want to leave the house because it’s too hot out.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

I too had fishing trip planned with son and daughter in law, to hot, decided night fishing but the daughter in law is afraid of mountain lions . LOL

15. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

happy father’s day, all you mutha’s. all non emergent work cancelled due to 95 in the shade. i’m outy like chuck goudie at 14:00 with a ice chest full of genny cream ales, one quart red stripe (not canadian anymore), a jug of mississippi mud and a corked bottle of rodenbach (sour). the van ac crapped so dangle the little piggies in the lake and get ticketed by the bike cops. haven’t paid any freedom tax yet this year.

1. avatar Just Sayin says:

👍👍
      Love me some Mud.
      And the Sour is mighty tasty also.

I hope some great BBQ falls outa the sky for ya…

16. avatar Mark N. says:

You buying? I have a LONNNNNG list!

17. avatar Just Sayin says:

Cz Orange Tactical Sport in Creedmore

And extra mags…

18. avatar Carter Touma says:

“Streetlight TLR-1.”

19. avatar Jason(Possessor of 2.5 TTAG points) says:

Bought a Remington R1 1911 Enhanced with threaded barrel. Brought it home and put it on the kitchen table. Literally took 2 days for anyone to notice the big green box with a giant R on it. Wife asked if “we” bought a new gun. Nope. You did. Thanks for the Father’s day gift.

20. avatar Gun Owning American says:

No Creedmoor?

21. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Smoked meat, fresh baked goods, and Shiner… I need nothing else.

22. avatar TrappedInCommiefornia says:

I’ve been wanting to take my oldest fishing (she’s 7) so after church we went to sportsmans warehouse and bought everything we need (I hope) to get started. I haven’t been freshwater fishing since I was a kid, so should be an educational experience for both of us. Don’t know when we’ll go, but hopefully it’s soon.

23. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Here’s some suggestions for Father’s Day presents for a dad who shoots:

1. One-piece cleaning rods. Dewey or similar one-piece rods are very good, and help preserve the accuracy of a rifle.

2. Better shooting glasses with higher impact protection. Most civilian shooters are not aware of the difference between mil-spec shooting glasses (which are typically ANSI Z87.1 rated safety glasses for UV and impact protection) and mil-spec “authorized protective eyewear.” I usually laugh at “mil spec” stuff, but not in this case.

Here’s some info:

3. Small tools that are useful in reloading, shooting, etc. If your dad reloads and is still using a mechanical scale, think about an upgrade to an electronic/digital scale, for example.

If one learns something about the shooting hobby, it is possible to get Dad far, far better gifts at a reasonable price that “aren’t an actual gun” that will make Dad very happy.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

“… one-piece rods are very good, and help preserve the accuracy of a rifle.”

Do tell.

My cleaning rods are brass or aluminum which is definitely softer than steel — and I figure would not mar, nick, or deform any aspect of the barrel. How would a one piece cleaning rod preserve the accuracy of my rifle better than my segmented brass cleaning rod???

24. avatar RidgeRunner says:

I got a pair of socks and a piece of ass and both of ’em were too big for me.

25. avatar The Rookie says:

I didn’t get anything, because I’m not a father.

I’m not a mother, either, though on occasion I have been called one…

26. avatar waxfence says:

@Travis. Dude, your post makes me sad. Hang in there buddy. You and I are in this together. You gave the GREATEST gift. The gift of life. No matter what, you have paid it forward. God bless you this Sunday. Vincent (waxfence) will have you on his mind. I will lift you up in prayer and I hope this day opens your mind to what a truly great man you are. You and I Sir, are brothers in arms. God bless you!

27. avatar Chris T from KY says:

I got what I wanted.
    A visit from my daughter who flew in from Maryland, so we could go shooting with my AR15 and so she could cook for her dad!!!

28. avatar Guardiano says:

I bought myself a Chiappa Rhino 60DS in .357 as a combination Father’s Day gift/O-4 with 11 years in Annual Training check splurge.

And I spent a whole lot of quality time with my 2.5 year old daughter and my siblings and parents

29. avatar Ansel Hazen says:

9mm conversion kit for my Dillon 550c arrived Friday.

30. avatar Wood says:

I asked my 6.5 year old daughter if I could have a day with no whining. She smiled sweetly and shook her head no…. to be fair she was the least whiny, the 3 year olds have that locked up. Didn’t get to shoot guns or bows, but had fun in the pool with the kids, made popcorn, and watched Star Wars. The first one. As in episode 4.

31. avatar Apollo Creed-More says:

Went out and bought a new 12ga shotgun

32. avatar jwtaylor says:

Got a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy in .44, black powder. Because I needed yet another (4? 5? now?) black powder .44 Colts.
    I don’t have a problem I can quite any time I want.

33. avatar TripC says:

Picked up a B&T KH9 for $1,500…Had 60 rounds but looked like it had never been fired. It was a great Father’s Day.

34. avatar Lew says:

My sweet wife got me a a Sturdy Safe!!!!….Kinda…it delivered three days prior to Father’s Day.. technically it does not count but I guess it’ll have to do….

35. avatar DesertDave says:

Got myself a case of IMI 55 gr 5.56 and another Spyderco knife OD to go with my green pants. Can’t wait to get to the range to try out that ammo!

36. avatar zebra dun says:

The current daughter in law is being a huge PITA rude and vulgar I called her on it due to not being earned so this Fathers Day unlike others I did not even get a text message from the ungratful turd.
    So I went out and bought myself a father’s day gift 100 rds ammo which I gleefully shot up with my grandson’s.