Shot Placement: Fine (Not So) Young Cannibals of the Gun Industry

In the gun industry, we eat our own..

Whether through articles or posts on social media the gun industry has a tendency to readily and joyously eat its own. Toss a proverbial hot topic into the ring and suddenly it’s lions versus Christians with the lone Christian being represented by some poor guy who was “just saying.”

It’s a topic worth addressing even though it will cause more even kvetching and whining in the comment section (commonly-shared saying among writers: never read the comment section). Addressing it is likely to be called “whining”, “playing the victim card”, or – my personal favorite – “virtue signaling.”

There’s also the opposite end of the spectrum. There we have those who loudly proclaim we as an industry are being divided by “divisive” speech. Often this involves the originator of the discussion having asked a question or somehow challenged the status quo. You don’t dare rock the boat, because that makes you “part of the problem.”

These are my two cents, and they’re sentiments I like to believe are shared by most of us here at TTAG. This is also one of the rare instances in which I’m going to be blunt about this problem.

Speak Your Mind

Willingness to speak up should never be discouraged, so long as the speaker isn’t a flaming asshat (yes, I’m looking at you). Voicing different thoughts and opinions is how progress is made; silencing those voices is how we not only remain in place, but are dragged backwards by our opponents. Who is it you think makes the changes in the industry? Those who go with the flow or those who are willing to speak up?

A word of advice. Speaking your mind can be done politely. Resorting to name-calling, insults, and condescension is the quickest way to be cast aside as yet another ranting redneck gun owner or a crude commenter. Be constructive. It’s fun.

How to start a fight on the interweb: say your chosen round is better than others.

2A Rights Take Priority

As an industry we’re faced with significant threats to our Second Amendment rights. For example: bump stocks. A large portion of the industry was and is willing to throw bump stocks under the bus because, hey, it’s a small concession in light of greater issues, right?

Wrong. It doesn’t matter if you think bump stocks are useless toys or if you feel the action can be easily replicated with a rubber band. The anti-gun left has proven — time and again — that if they’re granted so much as an inch, they will take not just a mile but ten. Give them bump stocks, they’ll take semi-autos, exactly as some are trying to do.

Petty squabbles should be set aside for Second Amendment rights. If the anti-gun crowd is threatening those rights in some way, we should be capable of banding together to fight back. But we apparently aren’t. Case in point, bump stocks and…

The Big, Bad NRA

You might not agree with everything the NRA does, but they remain our most powerful voice for Second Amendment rights. I wasn’t pleased with their handling of bump stocks, but I still support them. We need a big, badass dog in the fight and right now that means backing the NRA.

If, one day, another organization manages to garner their level of influence, great. In my mind it’s an easy question: do you like owning guns? Yes? Cool. Support the NRA, then fight for change from within instead of pouting like a recalcitrant toddler from the outside.

Caliber wars, .380 ACP style

Love a Good Debate

I have a confession, something you might already have noticed: I love a good debate. By “good debate” I mean a logical discussion based on facts. I do not mean an argument where we call one another names and slap at one another like sorority girls.

Debate is good for the soul; more importantly, debate is important for progress. Weaver versus isosceles, low versus high bore axis, competition versus self-defense training. Even, God help us, 9mm vs. .45. It’s all fantastic food for thought. Also, you’ll never know what people think if you don’t bring it up. Even better, you might – *gasp* – learn something during the discussion.

Debates are necessary parts of progress. What if John Browning never invented – well, anything? What if Daniel LaFever never designed a striker-fired shotgun? What if Elmer Keith failed to work on magnums? Oh – what if Jeff Cooper never developed the Modern Technique?

Debate is Not Divisive

It’s past time we as an industry stopped clutching at our pearls and admit that debates are not divisive. Divisive behavior is like what Karl Lueger did to Vienna (by the way, Karl, thanks for influencing Hitler, who took division to new heights). Debating whether competition shooting makes one a competent self-defense shooter, not so much.

Debate is, quite literally, talking an issue or issues over in a formal manner. What debate isn’t is an insult-tossing free-for-all. That means bellowing that open carry or using a SERPA will get someone kilt in da streets is not conducive to progress. Just saying.

Don’t be an Asshole

Can you discuss an opposing viewpoint without calling someone names, slapping rude labels on them, or otherwise being a jerk? If the answer is no, get out of here. You aren’t looking for a debate, you just want a fight. Those methods are the way of the angry, reactive anti-gun left and shouldn’t be your way. Shush and let the grown-ups talk.

Cannibalism

Here we come to the crux of the matter. As an industry, we eat our own. Writers who attempt to build themselves up by mocking and tearing down other writers, competitive shooters who degrade and name-call as a matter of reflex, brand founders targeting other brands for imagined or years-old slights; we’re like an industry of junior high schoolers with access to copious amounts of alcohol.

But wait, you say, you don’t work in the industry. You’re a reader; a commenter. Gues what? Without readers clicking on links and buying guns and gear, we wouldn’t exist. The industry would crumble. Don’t believe me? You all should see the fall-out of declining gun sales. It isn’t only the manufacturers who are hurt, it’s the guys heading up R&D and marketing, the ammo companies, the writers.

Also, I know there are plenty of industry guys reading this right now and grimacing.

I have an idea. It’s pretty radical, but it’s worth a shot. Why don’t we have rational, logical discussions? Why not trade ideas back and forth without informing someone they’re part of the problem? There are quite a few people out there willing to talk to me – and to others – privately who will not make public statements for fear of repercussions. We aren’t bullet proof, after all, and we have bills to pay.

In my experience, those who say you are rocking the boat and should sit your ass down are the same people who will toss you head-over-kettle out of that boat without a second thought (whether you sit down or not). The industry needs to grow and expand its base. The industry needs to welcome newcomers. The industry and the NRA need more Adam Krauts. Toeing the party line is not the answer.

Disclaimer: Raging assholes and jerks deserve to be slapped down. Dangerous practices – think VODA – should be spoken out against. Safety, ethics, and protecting our Second Amendment rights should be the priorities. Get those priorities in order. Let your polite conversation freak flag fly. Just keep your muzzle aimed in a safe direction, please.

comments

1. avatar Emfourty Gasmask says:

Sig sucks. CZ is better.

Discuss.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Both have their pros and cons. SIGs are better than Glocks, but CZs are an acquired taste (like Steyrs).

2. avatar Stuart K says:

But but.. I love both!!
      In fact cz and sig are almost all I own. I need to diversify.

3. avatar Other Tom in Oregon says:

Both are good, Glock sucks a big one though.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Glocks are great pistols. They just don’t any panache.

1. avatar cisco kid says:

Any fool knows cocks beat Glocks. Just ask TTAG guys.

Turn’em boys you don’t need to compensate anymore. Just hire armed guards like I do. Trained professionals beat Joe McBlow with a gun any day.

2. avatar CC says:

@ cisco, Trained professionals are nowhere near in 98% of violent crime. And they don’t do better — but worse Bloombergs cops in NYC were among the worst — hitting up to 11 Innocent civilians when they intervene .
          As the BJS data show, police arrive in time less than 2% . This is why, if you are not a prior criminal, a firearm in the home means the household is 30% safer from violent crime than homes with no guns.
          Good news is more and more Americans have guns and more and more know this:

4. avatar Bloving says:

And the Ruger fan sits quietly on the sidelines watching the carnage… confident in his unremarkable but perfectly fine choice.
      🤠

1. avatar Moltar says:

But but Bill Ruger sold us out!!! (I own 3 Rugers. Mini 14 of unknown vintage in a Choate stock, Security 9 that I carry when not at work, and a New Vaquero.)

2. avatar SouthernShooter says:

👍👍
        2 thumbs up!

5. avatar Greg says:

Same guy who ran Kimber into the ground. Now runs Sig, notice all the gimmick guns they make? A lot of Sig parts are now outsourced. Couldn’t pay me to own a new Sig.

1. avatar J says:

I’m not getting rid of my P238 until CZ makes something similarly sized. You hear that CZ?

2. avatar neiowa says:

This would be the same guy that took a with no market value and turned around into on of the most successful and rapidly (profitably) growning in the world? That built new factories in the US to manufacture their arms and ammunition? The turnaround is discussed in article Dec 2017 “American Rifleman”.

Stop smoking that stupid weed.

6. avatar Manse Jolly says:

No EDC below .45!

9MM is too wimpy.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Caliber wars summed up:

“That caliber sucks!”
        “What?”
        “I said your caliber sucks! And I hate you! And I hate the caliber you like!”

The Red vs Blue introduction to the internet is just as relevant now as it was in 2002. Or whenever it was. 20 years ago or so.

1. avatar Dipperdoshit says:

Just so you know. Over the 128 rounds ive shot, i have built a professional extensive experienced research… Oh yeah .25 acp is the best and only caliber i carry with a spare mag mind you. Should cover me out to 600 meters. And i carry an extra mag. Let this be the end all. .25 acp is the best long range, one shot, tactile defense round. P.S. Hillary was framed in that alternate reality.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

😂 “over 128 rounds”… priceless man.

2. avatar Dave in PTC says:

Group hug !!!!!

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Oh, hell no. No singing Kumbaya, either.

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

So what is wrong with Kumbaya? Since I can’t hear it over TTAG they can sing it to themselves as they type all they want!

You make a fine point.

Okay. Kumbaya in other areas where we cannot hear one another.

2. avatar Dave in PTC says:

And hold hands ?!!

2. avatar Michael A. Stilinovich says:

Hi Kat,
        First off this is an idea I fully endorse, not my idea but Marc Rudov’s, change the NRA Name to NFA.
        F for freedom. That way when any gun control advocate wants to say impolite things about the NFA it will rile up any true red, white and blue American. Secondly as Abe, the former Prez. would say, the only way to defeat your enemy is to make him your friend. Seemed to help MLK and Gandhi very well in their political endeavors. And one more thing for now and that is to start background checks for all newly born children and they would be issued a card similar to a driver license and it will be good for all firearm purchases until the day you die unless you commit some type of heinous crime, seems to me that when you have a drivers license the authorities can instantly find out if it is valid with a computer click here in this day and age. I would like to expand more on the universal firearms card more in the future because of the red tape in places like Ca. and even Mn. I am all for having one right now so I may buy a weapon in any GOD darn state I damn well please.
        Thanks for your time Kat,
        Mike S.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Universal gun purchase card from birth. It’s got a nice ring to it. But cards can be lost. Maybe a universal person number in a microchip under the skin. Capable of electronic updates as time goes along. And the chip could be disabled if someone is the victim of a financial crime, or stolen identity?

The chip would be embedded in the head, so that body parts couldn’t be misappropriated by thieves. Without the mark (chip) people could not conduct any financial transaction. And maybe we can finally get rid of coins and currency (the chip could be flexible enough to conduct transactions in any country without worrying about exchange rates).

Almost forgot….the chips could also be used to activate smart guns.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Sounds like Revelation prophecy to me.

3. avatar Scoutino says:

Making your enemy your friend is great. (Good luck with that.)
          But making him dead must also count as a defeat.

2. avatar New Contnental Army says:

If I hear a belt unbuckle I’m outta here.

1. avatar Moltar says:

I hear banjos! Quick run like hell!!!!!

1. avatar Mike Betts says:

Don’t run. Just paddle as fast as you can.

3. avatar Hunter427 says:

Can I play the tambourine please

3. avatar RCC says:

I have a Tanfoglio, CZ clone so would slightly agree.

Commenting from Australia we had a small SSAA before 1996 and I was a member then and still am. But most states including mine did not license rifles so people thought there was no reason to join. There was about 120 small groups mainly for specific interests i.e. African rifles. Politicians could easily ignore us. SSAA has grown (190 000 from 50 000) but still too many people in their small groups who think it can’t happen to me. I don’t agree with everything SSAA does but politicians count numbers so I renew each year.

1. avatar Toni says:

yes another SSAA member here as well and if i had the money i would be joining shooters union and NRA as well. shooters union despite the fact that they are small by comparison are getting their foot in the door and making their voice heard. however the only decent range near me is SSAA so i need to be a member there especially as i have just gotten my handgun license here in the NT. here in australia there is also Firearm Owners United that started in VIC and is growing and making its presence felt.
      i have heard a few people say that the small ORGS like GOA cant get their voice heard. the fact is that it depends on who is at the helm and how determined they are. Gun Control Australia wont even tell people how many members they have and it is suspected that their members are limited to about one hand worth… eg the ones that you hear about time and time again on the media, Alpers et al yet they get heard.

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

+1 for me although I did leave the SSAA for a while in the late 90s to early 00s when the Fudd faction thought they sell-out owners of self-loading rifles in the name of political expediency. That cost SSAA a lot of members for many years.

And there are still a lot of Fudds who think if some group they don’t like is sacrificed they will be left alone. This attitude is common in the NRAA and it’s state based affiliates. The NSW branch have openly stated if the service rifle shooters were sacrificed, they will be left alone. The rantings from the anti-gun groups have clearly fallen on deaf ears in this case. They are strong with the Fudd.

4. avatar Doasisaynotasido says:

Sooooo…

“Can you discuss an opposing viewpoint without calling someone names, slapping rude labels on them, or otherwise being a jerk? If the answer is no, get out of here”

But yet:: “petty, sorority girls, flaming asshats, not gown ups”

Just saying 🙄

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

It was fun. And I did say this was the blunt part. Also, this is not a discussion. This is me going on at a wall of silence. 😉

2. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

That was my take, too, but I came late to the post and wanted to see whether anyone else had already taken that angle before I posted. She seems a bit of an asshat, herself.

5. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

Even, God help us, 9mm vs. .45.

What’s the debate? The answer is .40 S&W!

1. avatar Bloving says:

Freaktraitornazihippiecommunistvegetarianweirdoloser!!!!
      .25 and .32 NAA are the future of defensive loads!!!
      🤠

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Awww, see, Bloving? You fit right in! How cute.

My work here is done.

2. avatar ACP_armed says:

Naw man, the next big caliber is point, POINT! nine millimeter! It is the future, it’s just too big for people to see!

2. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Now you’ve found the way to my heart. My first carry gun was a .40 S&W and it remains special to me. I do love a well made .40.

1. avatar Bortan says:

Sorry folks.
        The best all around, day in and day out cartridge is the .38 special.
        Ain’t nuthin’ it can’t do.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Except be a .45ACP.

2. avatar Gutshot says:

Sigh….When are people going to learn? 10mm. The one to rule them all. What can’t it do?

3. avatar FedUp says:

1. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

Well, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP–we’re talking mere mortal calibers. The 5.7 is in a different league. 🙂

1. avatar neiowa says:

Destroyer of alien threats such as the Goa’uld, the Replicators and the Ori. Load it in our galaxy and it just keeps on shooting across the lightyears.

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

“I thought it was 5.7. Or .22WMR, or something that lets a pistol hold a bazillion rounds…”

The caliber you are looking for is .9m. Even the smallest of guns can hold a bazillion .9m rounds.

6. avatar Rick Bunn says:

Great corrective essay. I have a Glock 34 and a SIG 226. I like the decocking lever on the SIG as well as the sights. Both work well, but if I had to choose I’d keep the SIG.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

I’ve been partial to Glocks for years now. That said, I cannot argue about the sights. I always replace mine.

7. avatar Wrench says:

Gads
    This after memorial day.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

One has nothing to do with the other.

8. avatar Toni says:

personally i am not a fan of guns with a lot of polymer in them. sadly that is how many seem to be going recently. i am not averse to other people liking them and many seem to, however i prefer a gun with a lot of beefy metal in it. 1911, ruger blackhawk and redhawk, S&W revolvers etc etc. for example the ruger MKIII has a grip angle i am not as keen on but i prefer the way the frame is made of metal as opposed to the .22-45 which i like the grip angle but not the polymer frame that the action and barrel are mounted in. as i say each to their own. i have a howa 1500 .223 that shoots well but i am not a fan of the polymer stock and most of the ones that i like to replace it with are out of my price range at the moment (have other things i am wanting to get that will help me in making my own) and then i will make one along the lines of the GRS Bolthorn but with my own twists. might even post pics when i have done it 🙂

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Personally, I am a fan of itty bitty plastic fantastic pistols for carry since they don’t weigh hardly anything and are easy to conceal. But 1911s and revolvers should be all metal (except the grip, and those should be wood or ivory).

9. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Declining sales? Not that I have seen, and I seem to keep finding an excuse to pick up something new, and ammo just seems to disappear from my personal inventory, so I keep having to buy more (ok, so it just keeps getting used up).

Just try to find one of those new Sig P365 pistols in stock, anywhere. That little gun is going to force all the high end makers of micro 9mm pistols to re-engineer a fresh entry, just to keep up.

10. avatar New Continental Army says:

I just came here to watch the flames.

Me too.

Pass the popcorn. 🍿

1. avatar Dave in PTC says:

“I just came here to watch the flames.”

That’s the words arsonists use. And funny as heck family members.

Its all about the fight at a family reunion. A cousin will throw down words from a long forgotten dispute and then step aside and grin and watch the ensuing flames of accusations, anger, screaming self-pity and crying. Yep, good times.

Kat, are you that cousin?

11. avatar Mark N. says:

“Willingness to speak up should never be discouraged, so long as the speaker isn’t a flaming asshat (yes, I’m looking at you).”
    HEY! I resemble that remark!
    ” and slap at one another like sorority girls.”
    I bet I could sell tickets to that!

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

It’s great to feel included, isn’t it?

Kind of difficult to sell tickets when the sorority girls in question are actually middle-aged men with beer bellies.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Depends on your target demographic…

12. avatar pwrserge says:

You don’t win wars by being nice to your enemy. Make no mistake. The antis are our enemy and we are at war.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

I agree…while disagreeing. We can be civil. But we should fight back rather than making repeated concessions to their growing demands.

1. avatar J says:

There is no common ground. We should fight them by being so hostile in the political environment that they are motivated to emigrate. They want LGBT history to be taught in public schools in Illinois? In states we have more influence we should make firearms training mandatory in public schools. Don’t like it? The leftists will have to either homeschool or go to one of their own states.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Oh now that I could and would get behind, J.

Fire with fire is a favorite of mine.

2. avatar Toni says:

sadly i think you are right. those that wish to infringe on others rights have no respect for rights full stop. let them set up their own “gun free” utopias (which BTW to get rid of the guns they would have to build a solid wall around and go door to door almost constantly as well as banning tools that can be used to build even the most rudimentary gun as the criminals will always find a way) and then live with the mess of their own creation. as it is they move out of areas where their policies have destroyed to areas with more liberty and then try to contaminate those areas with their BS.
          so IS there any middle ground especially when there is no actual compromise but simply take, take, take on their part in that they get one “compromise” through and then they are coming back for another bite of the cake?
          personally i dont want to see the US end up like australia and due to the societal problems you have that we dont (at present though they are developing due to massive immigration from the 3rd world) taking away the guns from the law abiding will only make the problems many times worse as already seen in the heavily gun controlled areas of the US. our crime rates have gone way up including murder though the gun deaths have not but have continued the same downward decline that has been happening since 1960 and, that is despite the fact that suicide by gun which pre 96 was almost 70% of our gun deaths and is almost non existent now. this also shows that actual gun crime has also gone up

2. avatar 16V says:

The history of the NRA since 1968 GCA up to (and including) right now, is a litany of Chamberlain-esque surrenders, how is one to reconcile supporting them again?

Are we to befriend our “political arm” simply because they may not cave on some particular issue, or is it just because they have “the numbers”? And, by not encouraging joining orgs that take our rights a bit more seriously , are we not doing them (and more importantly ourselves) a disservice?

1. avatar Toni says:

agree. be a member of the NRA (in my case SSAA which is much the same deal) but support the other groups that are fighting harder as much as possible.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Buy a clue 16V

3. avatar Sam I Am says:

Could you point out something 16V got wrong?

3. avatar pwrserge says:

Civility and an empty sack are worth the sack.

1. avatar 16V says:

One of the fundamental rules of debate is when the opponent fails to have an argument for any point, validity is automatically is granted to the one who made the point.

She knows she’s got no argument, let alone a debatable one. Which begs the question, why put such a patently ludicrous assertion forth? Does she think that we’re the usual bunch of meat puppets that she has historically ‘written’ for? Is she accustomed to sad wankers who let her slide on the facts of history because she’s a woman? Or just don’t know any better?

You’re in the big leagues now Kat. There are Farago’s “best and brightest” and they will brook no incompetence, let alone demonstrating apparent ignorance of what the NRA has “done for us” since selling us out (with vigor!) on GCA. Hell, since NFA.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“You don’t win wars by being nice to your enemy.”

Counterpoint –

“Hold your friends close. Hold your enemies *closer*.”

(Cue the Mario Puzo music.)

Oh, and never piss off a woman who hunts and uses a razor-sharp ceramic knife for cooking. She knows how to use it… 😉

3. avatar Gutshot says:

Yup. The time for polite talk and warm and fuzzy “exchanges of ideas” are long past. We need to cry that ancient battle command of SHIELD WALL!!!!

13. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Somebody uses harsh language on me and I’m going to use harsh language on them. I’ve seen me do it.

You do you.

I cannot, due to the nature of my job. This is the most you’ll hear out of me. That and, as a general rule, I don’t like to drop to their level. 😉

2. avatar strych9 says:

We’ve all seen it! He’ll do it again without a thought! He’s a crazy, remorseless bastard I tell ya!

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

3. avatar No one of consequence says:

In my experience, the best insults are those your opponent doesn’t realize are insults … but your audience does.

14. avatar Nanashi says:

You can’t claim some of the Constitution isn’t absolute without saying none of it is. The Constitution is the powers the governed have given the government. Anything else is forced upon the people with the government’s monopoly on force.

15. avatar strych9 says:

A nice sentiment but it won’t happen. People on the interwebz get ticked and nasty in about three posts flat, if that.

Just look at some of our resident trolls. Make a point is rebuttal and the first thing they resort to is flat out name calling at the top of every reply.

As for people who have beefs with other things like the “company X is dead to me forever” folks, well personally I think that attitude is silly and misguided, but hey, emotions run deep on the 2A and related issues. And… well, some people never matured past 7th grade emotionally or logically and believe some really weird shit like that the company they hate is universally hated and gonna go under when in reality most people have no idea that “the slight” ever even happened.

Due to a general lack of civility, education and, quite frankly intelligence, assholeishness, jerkwad behavior and tomfuckery are staples of the interwebz. They’re not going anywhere. Unfortunately.

Sometimes it ticks me off… but damn is that shit entertaining!

Oh, and anyone who disagrees with me sucks cock by choice!

1. avatar pwrserge says:

I fundamentally despise the concept of civility. If you can’t say what you mean, you can’t mean what you say.

16. avatar Wrench says:

The second protects all of the Consititution.

17. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I will always try to take the high road. Not that I will always succeed but at least try.

Bump stocks? They’re NOT guns. They shouldn’t be regulated through the NFA…if anything it should be dealt with the way lawn darts were.

Trump has failed us in a YUGE way. No hearing protection act and he turned on those of us championing bump stocks, then he turned again, then he turned again – who knows where the hell he stands now.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

I agree with all of it, Ed.

18. avatar Harley says:

Ok Kat. I will speak my mind. I have never have been crude or foul in my post to anyone yet I have had a few posts pulled without explanation on what I have done wrong. So I sit quietly and read instead. Almost since the beginning of TTAG. The subject of different ethnic groups came in on a subject that supports the second Civil Right came up and I threw in my total support for ALL ethnic groups ( I am considered ethnic myself ) and my post was pulled.
    I called out RF on his irrational fear of bikers, politely, stating that the wife and I owned a Harley each and rode together but we’re hardly “bikers” as he seen it. My post was pullled. For what? Trying to point our that not all motorcycle riders are some kind of evil “bikers”?
    How do you get to a thoughtful conversation if your not allowed to converse.

The wife and I go open carry everyday and that seems to be less controversial than support of ethnic groups support for the second Civil Right or those who love to ride motorcycles of any make.

If I have said something wrong or controversial instead of just simply pulling the post, call me out on it. Show me the error of my way so I can work to avoid future problems. Pull it if you must but explain why. Please. I do not or ever have engaged in flaming anyone.

Gun brands. I have a few. I am not a collector but an accumulator. I am not a brand snob, I just know what I like.

4 Mosins. 2 infantry. 1 M44. 1 Chinese type 53.
    1 Henry 22 lever action
    1 Sig Saure rifle 223R 7.62X39
    1 Sagia 7.62X39
    1 AK US made billet receiver 7.62X39 Century Arms.
    1 12 gauge model 500 pump defender Mossberg.
    1 HiPoint 9mm carbine in a factory “tactical”.

1 Kimber 45 stainless II. My everyday carry. Government 5in.
    1 Colt 45 Combat Elite series 80 Mark 4. The very first of the enhanced models. WISH I could find another.
    1 Rock Island 45 M1A
    1 Para 45 14+1 double stack.
    1 Bersa 45
    1 Bersa 9mm
    2 Bersa 380
    1 Tauras 357 snubbie
    1 Smith model 10 4in 38 special +P
    1 Smith 6in 357 mag
    1 Tristar 9mm hammer gun with the rail. The only sand color one I have.

I know I am missing a few but just can’t think of them without opening up my safe. It’s not an easy task as it is not one of those electonic jobbies.

At one time or another I have shot several times many other guns out there both metal and plastic. I don’t have anything against the others but just didn’t want to add them to my collection. It’s just that the ones I do have I liked. I have never sold or traded off any part of my collection to anyone. Once I have it I keep it forever.

I am Texan born and raised. Never lived anywhere else and won’t consider doing so. I love my wife of 41 years married. I love my Dodge diesels, have 3 of them. Love my bikes, currently Harley but have owned all brands. Have owned 4 houses, currently buying number 5 and this one will be my last. I hope.

The wife and I are also ham radio operators of all spectrums. We dabbled with a couple of fishing boats, wasn’t really our cup of tea but had fun anyway. I have a small machine shop in my home shop area. Lathes of both small bench top Hobbie and a 2000 pound 14X40 gun lathe. Welders, presses, drill presses, tools galore. Some very specialized. And more. I am retired from a vocation of 41 years and looking for a easy job to do. Not so easy finding a easy job either. You know like a Walmart door greeter or something. Lol!

Now there is more to me than this. And would share more. As long as this doesn’t get pulled too. Conversations I like. Hate and discontent I dont. And you will not see the latter from me. Ever.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Dodge diesels? I can forgive a lot, but…………. 😉

1. avatar J says:

Hopefully he meant Cummins

1. avatar Harley says:

Yep. In all honesty the Dodge truck itself is crap. But it houses the Cummins engine. Dashes that crumble and bodies that are made from beer can. And UGLY!

I have an 01 2500 4X4. Dana axles reign supreme. Strong frame. Dash and instrument panel falling apart. AC and heat are fine. But when that body came out all I could think of was a warmed over corn binder. Yuck. All Dodge automatics leave a lot to be desired and costs a fortune to make them stand up to me, something I know how to do. 280,000 miles on that engine and no sign of giving up.

An 03 3500 dually 4X4. Ugly on steriods! Dash again and heater door problems. Dodge did fix that issue in 05 finally. But my AC is still ice cold. Stiffer frame and smoother suspension. Still had to address auto trans issue because of tons of power I added to it. Love that common rail! Over 340,000 miles and still runs 12.7 in the quarter. Yanks a 26 ft gooseneck with a 26,000 GCW at better fuel milage than my 99 F350 7.3 did empty. And faster. I did like that F350 better tho as a truck, but it just didnt do the job I expected of it. I have dyno sheets for this truck that is flat impressive.

07 3500 dually 2WD 6spd. 6.7. Clutch issue fixed by getting rid of that dual mass crap. A concept that has plagued all of the big 3. Still ugly but dash issue non exsistant. In fact at 228,000 the interior is a 9 out of 10. That 6.7 is one torque monster. All stock. Fuel milage wont match the 03 because of 1 bigger engine, 2 all that emissions crap. It will do better without it but just never had time to deal with it.

I really wanted to build a Fummims. I would use that 03 to donate the Cummins engine with the 4R100 Ford auto built to stand up to it. I like the ratios in the 4R100 better than the Dodge 48RE. But again TIME and MONEY!

Am I forgiven now?

2. avatar Toni says:

sounds good mate. i have an old 82 MQ Nissan Patrol that i would like to put a cummins in. dont like auto boxes, i like to know i am driving the damn thing 🙂 mine only has a 4 speed box but i would like to put a 5 speed in it along with a bigger motor. not sure how much this rig has actually done but the speedo says 340000 on a little SD33 motor. with good maintenance these have been known to make it to 600000 klms but i can tell you this one was not looked after before i got it a year ago. also want to put portal axles in it as well for more ground clearance

3. avatar Toni says:

would love to put a about a 5 liter cummins in my MQ nissan patrol. the old one from the early 80’s

2. avatar Toni says:

would love your workshop. is how i want to be set up. while harleys are nice i am more a dirt bike girl (grew up on a farm).

1. avatar Harley says:

Had several dirt bikes when I was a LOT younger. I participated in motorcross in my very early teens. As in 12. When motorcross was an outdoor sport. Man that was a LONG time ago! Darn near 50 years ago when I started. I still long for a dirt bike but I know better. Too old, too broken up. My favorite was a Sachs powered Penton 250. Left hand kick start. It knew only two speeds. Idle and wide friggen open!

Machine work I cut my teeth on at a very early age. Mainly if you couldnt find the parts for custom bike engines, you made them. That and shooting went hand in hand. Done both all my life and just cant seem to give it up.

1. avatar Toni says:

Harley i have been looking for an apprenticeship in fitting, turning and machining for well over 20 years. never been given the chance so damn well going to teach myself. get all the old machining text books i can find, a good little lathe and mill, and i have the machineries handbook 30th edition and just start doing it. read up on it a lot as a kid as i also did with blacksmithing which i am also trying to get set back up for at the moment. building a forge and trying to find a decent chunk of steel out here for an anvil. most of the steel places around here only deal in small rounds, box section, plate, pipe or angle. none stoch any heavy solid stock and i would have to get it from victoria (which is big $$$ for shipping)

19. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Kat, an absolutely outstanding article! Though I think many of the commentators missed the point. They began to debate firearms, calibers, etc. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I understood your point to be that we (2nd supporters) ban together. Although, on the subject of firearms and calibers I will make a small contribution. God carries an M-1 Garand rifle and a 1911 .45 ACP. Enough said on that subject. You convinced me to renew my membership in the NRA. I’ll tell you though, it’s going to be tough not to slap down moron; what’s his name? Oh yeah, Shits Co Child.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Yeah you got it in a nutshell. Protect the Second Amendment as one and debate freely amongst ourselves. There are far too many people who think we cannot have both.

1. avatar Michael A. Stilinovich says:

One more thing Kat,
        I posted earlier. Instead of concessions I think we need to expand our rights, for instance legalize fully automatic weapons….take that to the bank you pinko commie…

Mike S.

1. avatar Toni says:

quite agree Michael. i personally would go further than just full auto though and make it all weaponry that is available to the military. yes some of that gear is out of the price range of all but the most wealthy but it certainly puts all power back in the hands of the people where it belongs. freedom is not free

2. avatar Dave in PTC says:

Kat, good article. I understand your intent. The comments I made previously were just for fun. I look forward to read your future submissions.

20. avatar HP says:

I think it’s pretty obvious that 9MM is superior to .45 ACP. I mean, everyone knows it.

1. avatar SouthAl says:

Yeah, but .40 rules them all.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

You are not a serious contender if you don’t carry something in .500 caliber.

1. avatar SouthAl says:

I guess my next potential purchase still won’t get me there. I admittedly have a problem with wanting 2 guns for every caliber I own; when within my means, usually very different guns. Thinking about on of those BFRs in .45-70 (as the counterpart to my 1895CB).

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

Asked a guy at the range what an adequate number of guns would be. He replied, “One more than you need”.

2. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Oh, get out of here with your 9mm love. The .45 ACP is perfect in every way, just as Saint John promises his followers. #butmuhstoppingpower

Okay, seriously. My current EDC is a .45. Full disclosure it’s the first gun chambered in this cartridge I’ve carried. Normally they aren’t .45s. It’s an awesome gun, though.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

You would get along with my wife, I think.

Her go-to range gun, which she refers to as her “sweet little brick,” is an FNX-45. Her favorite gun is a 1911, which happened to be my first .45 until the first time she shot it. (I miss that gun…)

21. avatar Wrench says:

My LORD carries a mighty sword that will make all other weapons obsolete in
    just one spoken word.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Of course you’re correct. As a Christian I ask the Lord to forgive by blasphemy. I was just trying to make point. The 9mm chrunchtinkers were pretty much discretted a decade ago, or longer. I remember being invited to conduct tests with Federal and CCI/Speer, a couple of times. Shooting 10% ordnance gelatin. 9mm aspires to achieve where .45 ACP begins. I’ll carry a 9mm/.38 Spl. with the ammo that is available today. A little more confidence in the middle calibers, but never punched the clock with anything less than a 1911 .45 ACP. And honestly, I do carry the middle calibers today, but I’m not kicking in doors and driving men to the floor at gun point anymore. Believe me, a really big pistol feels good in your hand when you have to do that.

22. avatar Sam I Am says:

Well now, this presents a “sitchiashun”. What to do with someone who didn’t get the clear message the first time?

Is it kinder to tolerate and accommodate, or clear up who is who and what is what, with a bluntness meant to instruct and discipline?

Since few probably see the advantage in a written onslaught against persistent naivete’, or are willing to be a thoughtless and callous boob such as, let me explain how this here works:

This blog is NOT the Harvard debate club. All opinions are not equal, or even deserving respect (except those I agree with). I don’t come here for enlightenment, contemplation or the clash of intellects. I come here mainly for the entertainment, and to see my opinions and prejudices confirmed and published. To rail against all who disagree, and are not rabid absolutists about RTKBA and “Shall Not Be Infringed”. People who get articles published and do not expect (even enjoy) being attacked by the “gun rights” taliban should be cursed to see their children converted to leftists, unto the seventh generation. Now, I may have to clarify some remarks to different posters, but I am never wrong; always “right”. If someone cannot deal with uncompromising principles, fossilized thinking, and Luddite philosophy, well, then, this ain’t the place for you. Write whatever you want, but when you stick your thing out there, don’t whimper about how it got smashed from the get-go. This is a bare knuckles arena. Smash-mouth football proudly played here.

Oh yeah, that little Attila feller? He was a red diaper doper baby, SJW little snowflake.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Well, I didn’t go to an Ivy league school but it was a private University for undergrad, so there’s that.

You’re always right? Oh, honey, no… 😘

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

That’s one.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Meh. I hate party games. Hard pass.

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

That’s two.

Gee, that was a boring post. I almost fell asleep halfway through it.

I can’t imagine why Bearing Arms skinned the Kat.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

I don’t know. I thought it was funny.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Bearing Arms? Uh… yeah, although I write for quite a few print and web pubs I’ve never written for BA.

Nice try, though.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Yes, a large dose of “the League of Nations is the future” in that piece.

24. avatar No one of consequence says:

So what is that round in the 2nd from the left magazine, that look like the back end of a jet engine?

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

RIP? A gimmick round that costs big.

25. avatar Jonathan Speegle says:

Where is Cisco kid? Can’t respond about moral high road and the rampage they were on? Real facts preventing honest discussion? I’m here, and perhaps I can bring a clinical perspective to your troubles Cisco kid. Reveal yourself coward. Use your real name and be free to stand up. Man or woman, you feel you have a voice yet don’t believe the 2nd amendment is what guarantees it.

26. avatar tp11 says:

You are wrong about if you give the left an inch, they’ll take 10. Your thinking will only serve to increase the divide. They’ll take the other 9 only if we let them. Our thinking should be what’s the best solution, fight hard to implement that, and fiercely resist any more inches than that.

1. avatar Harley says:

How about taking back all those inches given instead. Like, as in all of them!

27. avatar samuraichatter says:

“we call one another names and slap at one another like sorority girls.”

I am fairly certain rule #34 applies here and if not then definitely rule #35 🙂

1. avatar 16V says:

Rule #34 is always valid…

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

as well as taking back all of the inches given during the parlor game “hard pass…”

28. avatar CC says:

We can disagree with the bump stock ban and still agree with the NRA strategy. The people stomping and whining about the NRA generally have no idea what is going on. it is quite possible this sample polled within the NRA not only a good deflection, but many NRA members may have been per se opposed to bump stocks. I am not for bump stock bans but this is very different that assessing avoiding getting smashed by a tidal wave. Secondly bump stocks may have been opposed by enough GOP embers of congress to make banning them a forgone conclusion anyway.

The idea that any any every tactic to deflect worse outcomes somehow not ideologically pure should be left for religion. An advocacy group that pulls that makes itself irrelevant.

The handful of hyper critics of the NRA are simply people who won’t pony up money anyway. There options don’t matter to legislators nor to NRA members. They typically are in 65% GOP districts and just hear themselves in an echo chamber or bubble and have no idea as to how laws are made.

If a person is a gun owner and does not belong to the NRA and support them because they think it is too uncompromising or too compromising, I don’t care what your opinion is — no one of any consequence care either. You have made yourself irrelevant.

There are a couple of guys at our range who go off on anti NRA diatribes because they say it is a “sell out.” Lol. I test them. No only do they not know who their member of US Congress is, they don’t know the vote spread or voting trends in their district, they also NEVER know who their state level rep or state legislator senator is. They don’t know any of the bills or their progress in either the statehouse or US congress either. They certainly have never organised a local visit to their legislators, thought about talking points, written the local paper. They just stand around and talk to “EACH OTHER” in a bubble of total irrelevance, and grouse about losing their rights and whine about how $30 or $40 a year is too much dues. Or this or that strategy by the NRA is no different than Bloomberg. These NRA haters are Bloombergs best friends.

29. avatar Cerberus says:

I’m just over here appreciating the irony of Kat criticizing divisiveness 2 weeks after writing an article about high-fence hunting not being “real hunting”.

Not that I’m arguing that high-fence ranches are the same as open country hunts, but criticizing people that hunt differently than you doesn’t seem very inclusive. Seems like more eating our own.

Create divides between 2A supporters, then write an article condemning how we cannibalize the community. Both articles get clicks. It’s almost like…. they were written as clickbait?

30. avatar J_cobbers says:

Just gonna drop that link here for future reference. Logical arguments = +1

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Read the link (thanks for providing).

Logical reasoning is boring. At least the ones I saw were.

2. avatar Cerberus says:

Also read the link – good info, enjoyed it.

I’ll admit up front, I’m not a fan of Kat’s editorial content and so my bias is going to affect the conclusions I draw. But that doesn’t mean I’m wrong either.

It just seems disingenuous to write a divisive article, criticizing the choices other gun owners make, then 2 weeks later write an article lamenting how the 2A community cannibalizes itself.

Perhaps some self-reflection on by the author on her own writing may be in order?

31. avatar Joe R. says:

“Voicing different thoughts and opinions is how progress is made”

Progress?

32. avatar terclinger says:

The light blue handle on that knife is very fey.
    /s

33. avatar Zoe says:

YOU CAN BRING A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CAN’T WATERBOARD IT! or can you?
    Well written Kat.