Shot Placement: Come at Me, Bro

The picture that sparked insults and threats from both sides of the fence. From my NRA hat to the AR I used on this hog I apparently offended quite a few people.

“I hope your dogs eat your face.”

“You deserve to be raped. I want to be the one to do it.”

“I’m going to hunt your family like you hunted that deer.”

These and other gems have become nauseatingly familiar to me. Apparently some people hunt and shoot without ever being on the receiving end of threats, but I am not among them. For years I’ve had the unwanted pleasure of watching human decency dive gleefully into its current downward spiral.

Men and women alike issue threats and seem more comfortable running their mouths when the recipient is a woman. Perhaps they believe that I, as a woman, am defenseless and would be easy pickings should they ever actually find me (guess again). Maybe I look like an easy target with my blonde – and blue – hair, blue eyes, boobs, and perpetual smirk. Whatever it is, they have no problem filling my email inbox, social media messaging, and comment sections with hate.

This week’s column is for you, antis.

Why yes, gator meat is fantastic!

To the Anti Whom it May Concern:

First, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read my work. Writers are, after all, wholly dependent upon the interest of readers to survive. If it’s a photograph to which you took snowflake-like offense, well, thank you for finding it compelling enough to evaluate for potentially upsetting nuances. Without you my numbers wouldn’t be increasing at such a fantastic rate; for this, I thank you.

Something you should know regarding your apparently sincere wish for my rape, maiming, and/or murder (it’s so creative when you mix and match): sending that message was illegal.

I know, way to bring the party down. One of the laws you’re breaking while spewing vile hatred is 18 U.S.C. § 875, statute (c): “Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.”

Under the aforementioned statute your email/direct message/comment is legally a threat if any reasonable person would take your statement of desire to inflict bodily harm seriously and/or perceive said statement as being made with the hope to effect some sort of change or to intimidate. I could throw around related legal terms like mens rea and actus reus but I don’t want to inadvertently send you running for a dictionary. The recipient – that’d be me – doesn’t have to think you’re really outside the window with a gun – y’all antis do so love to threaten us with guns – for it to be a threat. We need only believe the threat was made with real intent. It’s all about intent.

That means you, local person who threatened me last week on social media, broke the law (and then some). And yes, I’m quite confident you’re reading this. Am I wrong?

Yes, I’m a writer, meaning I’m out there for the world to see. I did not, however, choose to become a writer because I wanted to rub my hunts or love of firearms in your face. I write because I love the written word and want to share my passions with like-minded people.

When I began writing as a child I did not do so in the hopes I could someday piss off angry basement-dwellers. I did so because, dammit, I love to write. Crazy, in this day and age of people who can neither spell nor form a complete sentence, but it is what it is.

Here’s something you don’t understand and will undoubtedly refuse to consider: hunting rocks and shooting is awesome. Combining the two in the woods and fields makes me a happy Kat. I enjoy honing the skills necessary for precise shot placement and revel in the fantastic taste of game meat.

By the way, I have and do hunt to feed my family. I even enjoy the hours spent processing my organic meat and building, repairing, and cleaning my guns. Guess what? I’m good at it. All you seem to be good at is behaving like a toddler on crack on the internet.

Yes, my daughter hunts and shoots. She’s good at it, too.

Sure it’s purple, but it’s also chambered in .45 ACP and impressively accurate.

Oh, and in answer to your question: I sleep at night just fine, with a selection of long guns in a SnapSafe Under-Bed Safe XXL beneath me and handguns in a KeyPad Vault beside me. Yes, there are other guns but I can’t give away all my secrets in an open letter to a bunch of unstable half-whits, now can I?

A word of advice. Give serious consideration to not threatening legally armed Americans. Because we are law-abiding, we will pursue threats in court – remember those five years and fines? – but we are also trained and prepared to defend our lives.

Just some homegrown food for thought, but maybe you should stick to threatening someone more on your level. Someone like that baby in the park who gave you the side-eye yesterday when you made a grab for its binky or maybe the squirrel who chattered at you when didn’t share your nuts.

All right, I got a bit carried away there at the end. I apologize (see how easy it is?).

You seem stressed. Maybe you need more protein in your diet. Did you know protein contains amino acids that help your body produce serotonin, which in turn produces feelings of well-being? Just something to consider. I’d offer some of mine but it’s all from hunts and I don’t want to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Have a nice day trolling the internet for imagined slights against your perception of reality.

Sincerely,

Me

P.S. You really should have that twitch examined by a doctor…

comments

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…nicely worded.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Thanks, dlj. It was fun to write but difficult to keep the snark to a minimum.

2. avatar Mr Lizard says:

If you’re sherif is supportive then file a police report. Then they can pursue the IDs and addresses of these digital ninjas. Then just issue subpoenas to said individuals for a statement, and make the subpoenas public. Let the rest of us bring the outrage machine. I have no problem politely knocking on someone’s door (local to me) and demanding why they are making threats

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Word.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“Word”

Seeing this more on blogs. What does it mean?

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

It means “I agree with you so hard I don’t even have to elaborate”. Seriously.

2. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Word, Eric.

3. avatar Sam I Am says:

“Word, Eric.”

Guess that explains it all.

4. avatar Craig in IA says:

“Word” = The Gospel.

5. avatar little bird with the big worm says:

the bird is the Word

2. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

You were doing really well, and then

“I have no problem politely knocking on someone’s door … and demanding why they are making threats”

A white knight appeared. 🙁

Seriously, I think this is the flip side of the same impulse that makes guys attack women online. Nobody cares how you feel about it bro, and you’re not getting closer to having relations by signalling your undying protection.

1. avatar Mr Lizard says:

I’m a little too old to be chasing tail on the internet. But being a grouchy old man I would enjoy providing some (legal) in-person feedback to the progressive trolls.

But then I also enjoy yelling at kids to get off my lawn

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

I, too, am a fan of telling kids to get off my lawn.

Seriously. They keep cutting across my property and it pisses me off. But I digress.

I didn’t get the impression Mr. Lizard was riding to my rescue, guys. Not at all. And, hell, I’m also a bit old now to be considered a piece of tail. Just saying.

Unfortunately, if I pursued every threat it would become a job in itself. Most are not worth it. Some have been and it definitely seems to depend on where the threats originate and what LEO I’m dealing with when it comes to the results. As a general rule I ignore them. I am of the opinion there need to be better internet laws in place about threats.

2. avatar Gunrm says:

Kat:
          Bear traps work nicely at keeping kids off your lawn.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Sometimes it’s quite a shock to digital threaten-ers to realize that there are real, actual people who will let them know that they are real people. Who are able to determine who they are, and where they live. And that their threats may have real consequences for them. By real people…

1. avatar Scoutino says:

We should get Jake and Silent Bob on it.

3. avatar jwtaylor says:

Someone that is willing to help someone else that has been threatened with rape and violence is good. Someone not willing to help is a worthless piece of shit. It’s really that simple.

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Good example of my point, which is that comments like these are only tough guy internet virtue signalling.

2. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

JWTayor, amen.

3. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Eric in Oregon,

The phrase “virtue signaling” needs to be struck from the English language. People speaking their minds, speaking up in support of one another, and standing up for what is right are not “virtue signaling” they’re doing – yes – the *right* thing. Typically they truly are doing what is right and guess what, people with strong morals and solid ethics are becoming a rarity. That in itself is a pity so I tend to appreciate it when they show themselves.

4. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

“Virtue signalling” is actually a pretty useful term. A person who posts stuff like “I would fight anybody who insulted X” is virtue signalling.

Compare to “slacktivism” where you post vigorously on a position but do nothing else. Real life action is the part that’s hard for internet folks to actually accomplish.

4. avatar New Continental Army says:

Not really, Eric. At least here in the Deep South. Threatening cowards, like the one above, are easily persuaded to stop, in person, even using kind words. Having someone confront them in real life, even in a kind manner, ussually corrects their deviant behavior. Once they lose their power of anonymity and privacy, they submit like wee dogs. I personally would tell Ms Ainsworth to just file a report now, and make an example of him. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean your words don’t have consequences.

3. avatar Hannibal says:

Local police are wholly unequipped to deal with these threats, both in terms of time and often jurisdiction.

Technically the FBI would be the appropriate agency to conduct an investigation of a federal crime. That said, they will not be doing so unless it’s very credible because, uh, it’s the internet. “Threats” are like dust mites here.

Hannibal,

That has been my experience for years now. Normally I’m against expanding government but I do think we need stronger laws about internet threats.

3. avatar Larry Macneal says:

What’s the make on the 45? It looks like a nice pistol.

1. avatar DrewR55 says:

Kimber sapphire… probably Pro II

1. avatar Larry Macneal says:

Thanks. Not a big fan of the Kimbers. There always seems to be an abundance in the used section.

1. avatar David Keith says:

Hahaha! Used section is where they belong. Jam like a Saturday night special.

2. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Larry,

Yes, it is a Kimber Ultra Carry II Amethyst. It’s not a personal gun it’s one I reviewed for Guns and Ammo Handguns magazine when it was new. Actually it did well, cycled reliably with a broad range of ammo and was precise. It fit my hand well but the grip safety pinched my hand which I did not like. I’ve reviewed quite a few Kimbers and my favorite, the one I do recommend, is the Pro Carry II Two-Tone in .45 ACP. That one I like quite a bit.

1. avatar jaemes says:

Pro Carry II Two-Tone in .45 ACP, that will look good on you!

4. avatar Chris Morton says:

“You deserve to be raped. I want to be the one to do it.”

Never going to happen, she’s not a three year old boy…

5. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

And I bet if you outed the rape threateners they’re all some limp wristed soy boy from a university where they support womens rights, publicly. Out them for the barbarians they really are. Violence against women is real. So are hate crimes.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

No doubt. That does seem to be reality, doesn’t it?

6. avatar jwtaylor says:

Where did these threats occur, TTAG? If so, we are having a serious problem with the system.

1. avatar Bloving says:

That was my first thought!
      Anything other than lavish praise for Kat’s articles had better be couched in the most respectful tones from our readers… even when she’s flat-out, pants-on-head crazy and wrong.
      🤠

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Jon, I’ll guess Twitter.

For some reason, that seems to be popular for that kind of crap…

3. avatar New Continental Army says:

I thought it was social media. Although much hate is spewed here, it’s mainly between caliber fanboys. I rarely if ever see the kind of threats like she described. If there is so, yes we need to midigate this. However, caliber wars are getting quite ugly and I could see rape threats on the horizon with that… “How dare you still carry a .45!!! Ima rape you bro!!!”

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

To be totally fair, anyone who says 9mm is just as powerful as a 45acp, well they’re kind of “just asking for it.”

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

I like the .38. Nobody likes me.

2. avatar Bloving says:

My EDC is a .357 stuffed with .38+p’s… so I guess I’ll be your friend.
          🤠

3. avatar New Continental Army says:

😂

4. avatar Gutshot says:

Holy sheep shit. I agree with jw. I didn’t see that coming!

5. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

Wherever I show up with one of my 38 Supers I wind up being seated with Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton.

7. avatar former water walker says:

Making public threats cannot be tolerated. We need to WRECK their life…

8. avatar Pliablemoose says:

The trolls must think meat grows on plastic trays in the back of the grocery store.

1. avatar Grace12 says:

It doesn’t?

9. avatar When Bullets Collide says:

Quit broadcasting your victim hood. TTAG isn’t the place for it. Well, except for the middle aged WhiteKnighters like Taylor. Anything posted on the Internet draws vile comments from people who disagree. It’s part of the job. Put on your big girl pants and stop whining about it.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Shining a light on the vile behavior of antis is now broadcasting victimhood (which is one word btw)?

No, this is calling out people who deserve to be called out. Broadcasting victimhood would be writing a “poor me” piece. This article doesn’t qualify.

1. avatar Grace12 says:

Precisely. My interpretation of her article was Kat putting people on notice and making a probably unsuccessful attempt to educate the morons.

2. avatar RidgeRunner says:

Didn’t sound like victimhood to me. At all. More like the opposite.

3. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

It got you to comment.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

He tends to do that anytime his masculinity is threatened. Which is apparently quite often.

Wait — he has masculinity?

4. avatar New Continental Army says:

This wasn’t whining, this was a declaration that she wouldn’t be a victim.

1. avatar When Bullets Collide says:

Why don’t you post some screen shots of these “threats” Ms. Ainsworth?

When bullets collide,

Do you also require screenshots of the literally dozens of dick pics I’ve received over the years? (And continue to receive.)

2. avatar John in AK says:

Now, don’t offer him/it things like that. He/it would probably enjoy them.

3. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Looks like we found one of her ‘fans’ here. You the hunt her family or rape her guy, bullets?

10. avatar Sam I Am says:

@Kat

Nice putdown. Maybe too nice. It would really be elegant to couple the putdown by filing (as someone already suggested) with a formal compliant of making a threat, maybe even terroristic threat.

Bullies only fear people who can and will fight back. Unfortunately, turning the other cheek only empowers bullies.

If you need to setup a fund me page to pursue the bullies, THAT is something I would contribute to.

1. avatar Huntmaster says:

If you have one, turning the other cheek can set em up for a good hook.

11. avatar Shire-man says:

Feeding them only makes them stronger. Just ignore them until they anhero Rodger style. Then laugh.

12. avatar strych9 says:

I always find it amusing when antis threaten violence.

We’ve got the guns, son. We’re also generally the type that know how to use them. We’re also generally the type that know how to use other implements. We’re also generally the type that actually study martial arts. We’re also generally the type that might actually be a veteran of a branch of the armed services.

In short, we’re everything you’re not and we’re much better prepared for violence than you are. Unlike you, we don’t relish the idea of visiting violence on others but, again unlike you, we’re usually much better prepared to actually do so should the need arise.

So, to those that run their mouth (fingers?) on the interwebz: Forcibly raping an armed woman who knows how to use that gat and also probably knows how to skin you alive with a small knife? Good fuckin’ luck…

1. avatar EWTHeckman says:

In addition, such threats actually prove the need for the 2nd Amendment.

The irony of that simple fact is intense.

2. avatar Bloving says:

“In short, we’re everything you’re not and we’re much better prepared for violence than you are.”
      In other words, our WOMEN are more manly than you.

3. avatar New Continental Army says:

“I’m everything you wanna be!” Pretty much sums it up.

4. avatar Toni says:

lol love it though failing the small knife she could probably do a good enough job with a spoon if she had to 🙂 i know as a last resort i could and in that sort of situation i would prefer it was a rusty one that had been exposed to shit for a while

13. avatar EWTHeckman says:

A woman? (Blond to boot!) Hunting? With an A-Frikin’-R?!? Let the screaming and running in circles commence!

Isn’t that kinda like hunting over bait? As long as you succeed at eradicating the destructive pests, I’m all for it.

EWTHeckman,

You may have a point there. Is troll hunting over bait legal? We should check regs.

1. avatar Drake_Burrwood says:

Why.. Hunt trolls?
        They will find One soon enough.

You “dance” with a Troll long enough, you will unknot their tail.

You ask, Why would One wish to take knots out of a Troll’s tail? Tradition has it the Troll King, is the one that has the most knots in their tail.
        +++X;B=3~<

1. avatar Drake_Burrwood says:

Wait a second.. I already did a comment like this earlier.
          Oops.

14. avatar pg2 says:

Yep. Normal in a world turned upside down where abnormal is normal and normal is abnormal. Animal life more sacred than human life, belief in government over belief in God, sexual dysfunction preference over reproductive sexual relationships….the list is endless. Welcome to the NWO.

1. avatar Cecil says:

Government IS their God. Notice how they worship and feed it?

1. avatar Pg2 says:

Most people here do too, when it comes it to other things aside from the 2A.

15. avatar Enrico Longobardi says:

It is sad that you have to deal with morons like that. They are all the same. All talk no action. I’m tired of the anti gun idiots who have no idea what they are talking about. What we need to do is put retired police officers and Vets in the schools and we will be fine. This is a way to protect our schools. Putting the people who know how to handle the situations in the schools. There was so many mistakes made prior to and during the Florida school shooting it is scary. First, the FBI dropped the ball by not following up on the flagged information they had on the kid. His mom didn’t say anything before she died. His family and friends didn’t say anything after she died and he lived with them and had to burry the guns in the backyard because they didn’t want them in the house. The school as he was expelled for having bullets on him. His friends and fellow students at the school who never said anything about the threats he made and the police who stood outside while shots were still being fired. As a retired police officer, it is embarrassing and a disgrace the way they acted, but it’s the guns fault. Now they want to take guns away. One big problem with that. The bad guys will still have guns and a much easier time with crime.

16. avatar Huntmaster says:

It takes a really special kind of stupid to send nasty emails to a woman who posts pictures of herself posing over a dead boar and ten foot alligators with the AR-15 she used to kill them in her hands. Obama, Hillary, Bernie… Voter?

1. avatar Gutshot says:

I believe she killed the gators with a set of nail clippers. Kind of a badass chick. (erm, woman, sorry)

17. avatar Parnell says:

“I’m going to hunt your family like you hunted that deer.” This moron can’t tell a hog from a deer and he’s going to hunt her family? Something tells me this Keyboard Commando lives in a anti-gun, Democrat-run city somewhere.

1. avatar Ed Rogers says:

That particular comment needs to be investigated and prosecuted.

I may just have to check out Ms. Ainsworth’s work. She writes eloquently.

18. avatar Docduracoat says:

That was a very well written article!
    Telling them that they are issuing threats, and informing them that you are armed and will defend yourself is exactly the right response

19. avatar PapaCommunism says:

Good luck getting a federal indictment under that statute.

You’re better off going with state laws.

But either way, if these were sent via an anonymous post or user on something like reddit or TTAG, you aren’t going to be able to convince many in LE or prosecutor’s office to file a search warrant, or even if they did one that would go anywhere.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

TTAG is based in Texas. Texas LE would act on threats, especially ones with an originating IP addy…

1. avatar PapaCommunism says:

Texas LE cannot enforce federal law.

If they want to pursue charges under an applicable stage statue that’s fine. My point is that she threw out a federal code section without fully understanding its application, use, supporting case law, etc. I hate when people do that.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Texas LE has a Rolodex with Federal Agency numbers in it.

Texas picks up the phone. Shit begins to flow downhill…

2. avatar PapaCommunism says:

Tellin you bruv its not that easy, feds don’t waste their time policing online forums

20. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Obviously madam, you don’t know your place. As a white woman you’re SUPPOSED to be an abortion loving, Hillary voting feminist who spends most of her time wringing her hands in guilt over her ‘white privilege’. The left doesn’t take kindly when one of their fold wander off the reservation. Look what they’re doing to Kanye for suggesting it’s OK for black people to think for themselves. This is why you must be put in your place. Silenced and placed on display for others to learn what will happen to them if they step off the reservation. It’s not such a big deal when an inbred redneck like Ted Nugent takes his hu nting public. He’s an evil old white guy. He was born on the other side. You, being a woman, should know to fall in line.

I’ve gotten a few threats in my time. In person, not on the Internet. I laughed. The fools didn’t know that I was — and am — heavily armed.

The limp-wristed fools who threaten you, Kat, are not so stupid as to do so in person. But they are major league cowards. And they are equally laugh-worthy.

Enjoy the threats. In the words of an old song that I just wrote, “You’re nobody ’til somebody hates you.”

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

For the most part I have to agree. Most of the guys emboldened by the interweb are largely flaccid in reality. There are always those surprises, though.

I’ve been threatened in person as well. It isn’t something I enjoy. Despite my, uh, sass… I’m not someone who enjoys confrontation. I’d rather be left alone.

You can’t publish on a blog under your own name and be left alone. Which is why I use a nom de plume when I write online articles.

When I wrote in print, I used my name. There were rarely any hassles. Say what you will about “dead tree,” but the Internet is a sewer.

Ralph,

Yeah the internet is definitely a sewer. That said, the majority of my work is actually in print, so my real name has been out there for years on every platform. It’s just one of those things and typically isn’t more than a momentary annoyance.

I was more thinking we could make this a copy-and-paste open letter for general use against idiots. 😉

22. avatar Gary says:

I wish the first amendment protected the rest of the amendments as intended by the founders. In social studies it was taught that way in my middle school. I was taught that people are different, and different in their local cultures and home environments. It was said with pride. It was what made America great; we came from all over the world. Now they still come from all over the world, no one wants to leave. Lots come illegally & get socialist benefits for doing so. But only a “mob” mentality is taught. Things have gotten stupid beyond belief on the TV. We Americans have lost a lot of things without even the simplest acknowledgement. The old just shake our heads and mind our own affairs. Which is becoming harder and harder to do.. Soon “they” will come for me. “They” will be surprised as they endeavor to do so.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

I firmly believe the First protects the Second and vice versa. They work in tandem quite well.

23. avatar Pg2 says:

The commie troll pserge has stopped just short of direct threats for my vaccine posts, what’s the difference?

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Why do you bring vaccines into literally every single thread? Why is everything about you all the sudden?

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

all of those hogs and deer made him think of herd immunity.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Um..maybe he was thinking about vaccine guns like they use on cattle sometimes?

I know, I’m reaching.

2. avatar Pg2 says:

Sorry if the truth bombs Are a problem for the small brains CA.

It seems that you must have taken a lot of vaccines.

2. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Dude. Did you just accuse me of being a Commiefornian?

3. avatar Pg2 says:

Lol, no Kat, not you. This forum is littered with establishment trolls who on the surface make somewhat pro 2A and constitutional posts, but at the same time push for bigger government control in many other circumstances and vehemently defend official narratives whenever they have to.

4. avatar PapaCommunism says:

soooo you like vaccines or nah?

5. avatar Pg2 says:

@papa, don’t care about vaccines themselves, it’s the push from the private industry using the government as a hammer to remove people’s rights to accept or refuse these products.

3. avatar John in AK says:

You see, vaccines are a tool of the New World Order to bring the alien lizard people from the Hollow Earth to power over men via the Rosicrucians and the Illuminati and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

“Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children’s ice cream!…You know when fluoridation began?…1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It’s incredibly obvious, isn’t it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That’s the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love… Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I — I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake…but I do deny them my essence.”

Fact!

1. avatar Pg2 says:

Nice movie quote bro, you ever post anything other than entertaining fiction?

4. avatar Pg2 says:

Is that the sound of cubicle mate defending his coworker? How cute.

1. avatar John in AK says:

I know it’s already been asked, but by chance did you get a lot of vaccines when you were young?

2. avatar EWTHeckman says:

Well, ain’t you the cutest little thang. So cuddly—like a porcupine.

God bless your little heart.

24. avatar Owen says:

AR-10?

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Yeah the rifle in the cover photo is a Remington R25 GII in .308 Win. A favorite of mine.

1. avatar Toni says:

it looks a nice rifle. just wish i could get over there even for a visit so i can get to use some of these rifles even just at a range let alone going hunting with any of you guys. i had a gevarm E1 before the NFA here in australia. that was a really nice .22 and have used a few other semi autos prior to that but little johnny brown jackboot killed all that despite the largest protest marches we have ever seen in this country. would have loved a Franchi SPAS12 and the new one that is a cross between the AR and the AK. both have good and bad features and the ARAK tries to take the best of both.

25. avatar Rusty Chains says:

The problem is that threats can be real, and with written communication you don’t have the nonverbal indicators to tell whether they are serious. The one advantage is that the communication is usually easy for the cops to track if they should escalate to the point of requiring you to apply ballistic intervention. Needless to say, pay attention while you are out and about and carry, always, especially if you are receiving threats on a regular basis. As a side note, carry insurance is a really good idea, though the NRA product appears to me to be sub standard.

Rusty Chains,

Why do I hear unearthly rattling when I type your screenname?

You’re correct. Judging intent and likelihood of escalation can be difficult. Law enforcement typically takes a wait-and-see approach, in my experience. Just one of many reasons to carry everywhere you go. In my case I’m sadly easy to locate despite early attempts to keep my home hidden.

Oh, you’re going to make me do it. Now I have to say what carry insurance I have. Okay, here goes.

I have USCCA, which is very good coverage. But…I am also a long time proponent and member of ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network). Those two are the best, in my opinion, which I’ve arrived at after a ridiculous amount of research. No, I do not benefit in any way whatsoever from liking them and telling others I like them.

26. avatar Garrison Hall says:

Kat, it has been my experience that people—both men and women– who are very good at doing things and who enjoy writing and talking about their interests and abilities inevitably attract the attention of people who don’t measure up and just flat can’t stand the fact that they don’t. Most of these people, largely but not always male, suffer from low self images and the kinds of modest social skills that make them feel perpetually left out–something else they are pissed about. Successful, resourceful woman often come in for sexist double whammy, however. From men it comes as galling resentment in the form of “Here’s a WOMAN who’s good at stuff I can’t come close to doing”! From women, however, it can be even worse because, while they’re boiling with jealously at your skill and empowerment, they seek revenge by accusing you of violating girl-code by being “unfeminine”. Keep shootin’, darlin’. Guns up. And woe betide the fool who tries to harm you or your ken.

Garrison,

I appreciate your kind words and confidence in my abilities. Very kind of you.

Unfortunately I have to agree that women tend to be the worst. I’ve been informed I’m not part of the “sisterhood” so many times I’ve lost count.

Thanks again. 😊

1. avatar Toni says:

“sisterhood” oh you mean that backbiting group that stab each other in the back every chance they get 🙂 i get it though because i am much bigger than most girls 6′ they dont tend to have a go at me much. i am tall but slim. my (also female) partner is 6’1″ and bigger built than a good many men, used to play basketball and got the nicname D-Mack at age 15. she gets her build and height from her father who is 6’4″ and would take 6XL shirts even if he was not overweight. her sister is 6’3″ but not quite as heavily built. most of our friends tend to be males as we hate the bitchy backstabbing that many women seem to engage in. we do love it when we find DTE women though 🙂

27. avatar Mister Fleas says:

Perhaps you if discovered their identities you could sue them, yes? It might by worth your while just to make money from them.

Your “readers” need to have their identities revealed in any case. Their employers and future/current love interests need to know the psychos they are employing or associating with are dangerous. Consider it your civic duty.

Mister fleas,

There are times like these I wish my internet skills were a bit more advanced. I typically know nothing about them beyond their screen name and, occasionally, what state they’re in thanks to their IP address. But I also usually just roll my eyes and move on. The more serious threats I save in case issues arise down the road. But yeah I really wish I was more of a whiz with technology.

28. avatar uncommon_sense says:

What is the saying? “If you are receiving flak, you must be on target.”

Uncommon-sense,

I certainly hope so. I’d much rather be furthering gun and hunting rights than sitting on the sidelines twiddling my thumbs.

29. avatar Drake_Burrwood says:

Nice.. remove a few knots from a Trolls tail then they can’t run for Troll King.

Keep up the good work.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Thank you, Drake. Sometimes it’s entertaining to throw something like this out there.

30. avatar Ed Schrade says:

That was a nice hog you got in the photo. Those things really cause lots of damage and can be turned into great barbeque. These idiots that harass people like yourself and others, threaten them with all sorts of evil are the compassionate ones that want to do away with evil firearms. They are such kind people. Imagine what a utopia it would be with these kind people actually running things. Keep up the hunting and writing, God bless.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Hog meat is a favorite of mine. Having some for dinner, in fact! I’ll definitely keep at it, thanks!

31. avatar Hannibal says:

Ignore it and move on with your life

The very best advice you will receive on this topic unless you have reason to believe someone is taking it to “real life” in which case they probably wouldn’t bother with toothless internet threats

Hannibal,

That’s my usual practice. But it was still fun writing this. 😉

Awesome internet handle, by the way.

32. avatar DD says:

Good job kiddo.

Thank you, DD.

33. avatar Southern Cross says:

Check out this page on flickr which I found the other night.

Spanish Women hunters.

34. avatar rocketscientist says:

Twitter is one of those things that quite frankly brings out the worst in the human race. Similar to grocery store check out lines, black friday, and the DMV. Nothing else so pervasive combines such large quantities of anonymity and narcissism. When being a Kardashian is more economically and socially rewarding than being board certified in cardiothoracic surgery, the point of no return is already in the rear-view mirror. Genie is out of the bottle now. The downward spiral begins.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Twitter can absolutely be a problem. I actually got rid of my account and just started a new one a few days ago. Hopefully I won’t regret it.

And now, to shamelessly pimp my new Twitter: @KatAinsworth2A 😊

35. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I want to go gator hunting with you Kat!
    Seriously!

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

It’s a lot of fun as long as you go somewhere where it’s a real hunt. Gator meat really is good, too. At least I enjoy it!

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I’ve had gator before, and you’re right. It’s quite good.
        I was looking forward to crock tenderloin on my last trip to Mozambique. But after finding out it was a man eater, I lost my appetite.

36. avatar ironicatbest says:

My girlfeind would have replied. ” My dog doesn’t eat my face, but it does lick my “beeeeep”. ” Oh silly you, Me and my strap on would like to rape you too” I have already hunted my family, they taste like chicken.”

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

did you misspell girlfiend?

1. avatar Gutshot says:

I know, it was kind of ironic, at best.

1. avatar John in AK says:

That reminds me of the classic old song, “I want a ghoul, just like the ghoul, that murdered dear old dad!”

2. avatar Drake_Burrwood says:

I had always heard cannibals claimed “long pig” tasted like pork.. hence the name.

37. avatar EGB says:

Kat – hate you’ve encountered such drivel in your writing career. The stories remind me of Kurt Schilling’s electronic troll outing – http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ex-boston-pitcher-schilling-plays-hard-ball-trolls-article-1.2134914

If memory serves – you had haters during the TFB days. Glad we’re finally able to read longer e-prose on TTAG. Good luck.

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Oh man, you remember my TFB days. Who’d have thought I would find my way here as hunting editor years after leaving TFB? The industry really is small. You’re right, there were some issues from readers there. Damned women and their highfalutin’ ideas of votin’ and shootin’ like menfolk… 😂

38. avatar Monkey Grip says:

Interesting, well written article. I always admire someone who can orchestrate their thoughts into a well done narrative. I’m more of an FY (FU?) kind of person because I grow tired of writing and talking much more quickly than the average internet wanderer.

Enjoy your life on your terms. Diversity today is, in reality, forced conformity.

39. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

“…hunting rocks and shooting…”
    i recommend sandstone. ricochets are where pew comes from.
    (you said boobs).

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Dang you’re right. I should have said “bewbs”.

40. Sad to say I’m not surprised at the mail you get. That was good writing, it was a nice break from studying my college work.

I’ve always written under my real name, whether in the magazines or online. I always figured if someone is dumb enough to find me out in the country, they should be ready for what follows. I mean, seriously: do these people not realize what we do for a living?

41. avatar Jim Bullock says:

Sigh.

If pro-gun folks were half as crazy violent as the anti’s say, they’d be in real trouble. If we were as crazy, or violent as the anti’s actually are, well, they’d all be dead, wouldn’t they?

42. avatar Wm. O'Hara says:

Sweet; very nicely put madam.

43. avatar Accur81 says:

In California, such threats are 422 PC. I’ve charged it on more than a few times as a pro gun / pro Constitution cop in the LA area. When I get threatened, I ask for specifics. After all, why do something halfway?

Glad you are here on TTAG, and I enjoyed your article.

44. avatar Joleolsen says:

What is this “hunting rocks” thing? Do you actually have to shoot the rocks? I have found that usually I can walk right up to them and they don’t even try to get away. Some of them make good pets, or so I have been told. I prefer dogs myself.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

The problem with hunting rocks is you gotta gut and skin them afterwards. It’s hell on knives.

45. avatar Coffee Addict says:

friend of mine is a Marine, no longer active. spent time in Iraq doing things, now he’s a bit famous for doing things while running his business, doing things that piss off the left, the ATF and a city or two. writing about the things he’s done, posting thought provoking ideas that challenge your assumptions, he gets a lot of the same threats against him and his family.

I love his low key response and I can totally see him smiling when he says it :

“You’re welcome to try.”

46. avatar MIO says:

Stay strong and teach the children the right way. Things will change back the other way. I wouldn’t worry too much about the TTAG trolls either because you know who you are and what is right.

47. avatar Wally1 says:

Really, a couple of hunting photographs touch off some crazy animal rights moron to make threats. This young lady needs to have police pursue this matter.
    I only share my trophy shots with friends or family. I hunt a lot, last year I took 23 animals total (yes, most of them coyotes and other pests) but I imagine the leftist crazies would have a stroke to see those photo’s.

48. avatar Hooda Thunkett says:

Fun read; thanks.

49. avatar Alan says:

Re the criticism of the hunter, another keyboard warrior heard from. Unworthy of the electricity expended in sending a reply. By the way, hunting and golf are a couple of activities that never much interested me.

50. avatar SparkyInWI says:

Good article, well written. The anti-hunters probably think their food whatever it be is magically made at the super market. And they are so stupid (dislike using that word but in this case….) they would rather see a deer for example starve slowly and die that way than to have a hunter who will appreciate it harvest the deer for food as God meant things to be. Oh well, stay safe Ms. Ainsworth and watch your 6.

51. avatar David Forler says:

bottom line, the snowflake calls a pig a deer…enough said… We need to be pissed at the socialist Teachers that have re educated our kids to be snowflakes,pussie, bitches,dykes and homos. In the 70’s USA was like the 4th smartest country in the world…Now we are 4th from the bottom…but kids know about islam, know to hate the constitution, free speech..They Have been OBAMAIZED..To hate people BECAUSE of the color of their skin…The teacher Unions, and majority of teachers need to be disbanded and fired. Our Kids need to be home schooled for the next two decades until we can VET all Communist, Marxist, fascist, socialist teachers our of American Schools. Once we teach the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Ten Commandments, to respect all..Teach work ethics, values, morals and the love of GOD and COUNTRY..What has happen to two threee generations of current kids is they have been RE EDUCATED, BRAINED WASHED just like the people of South Vietnam, after they lost the war… They either were re educated to communism or killed, prison..

You my dear are a great American, and these snowflake, antifa are going to cry like the bitches they are once they confront us, enter our homes…. they have no idea of the pain the will be brought upon their worthless, oxygen stealing losers