TTAG Daily Digest: America’s Toughest Gun Law, A Note of Defiance and Georgia’s Armed Teachers

courtesy huffingtonpost.com

This Is The Toughest Gun Law In America

Putting up roadblocks in Massachusetts . . .

A thirtysomething man sought to buy a rifle here last September, and if he had been living in almost any other part of the country, he could have done so easily.

His record was free of arrests, involuntary psychiatric commitments or anything else that might automatically disqualify him from owning firearms under federal law. He could have walked into a gun store, filled out a form and walked out with a weapon in less than an hour.

But he couldn’t do that in Massachusetts because the state requires would-be buyers to get a permit first. That means going through a much longer process and undergoing a lot more scrutiny.

Each applicant must complete a four-hour gun safety course, get character references from two people, and show up at the local police department for fingerprinting and a one-on-one interview with a specially designated officer. Police must also do some work on their own, searching department records for information that wouldn’t show up on the official background check.

WATCH: NRA Member Harassed By Security At Anti-Gun Rally After Asking Alyssa Milano Why Her Bodyguards Are Armed

A member of the National Rifle Association visited Alyssa Milano’s anti-gun rally being held just outside the NRA’s national convention in Texas, and ended up in a bizarre confrontation.

After jokingly asking her bodyguards whether they were armed — it turns out, ironically, that they were — suddenly one bodyguard turned angry and forced the man back to the sidewalk, even though the man was on public property and was not there to counter-protest.

courtesy theguardian.com

Inside the NRA convention: amid the guns and gear, a note of defiance

Well, yeah . . .

The couple admitted that the AR-15’s status as an object loathed by so-called “gun-grabbers” contributed to their desire to own it. Purchasing one was an expression of their rights.

“After Parkland,” McCandless said, “we went out and got a second one, just to be safe.” McIlroy said she wanted “whatever I have to get now to ensure I can protect my family later”.

The couple are raising a six-year-old and an 18-month-old. “Keeping children safe is a huge priority,” McCandless said. “The only thing you can do is be prepared. There are bad people in the world and you’re never going to take every gun away. As far as Parkland goes, it’s terrible and something needs to be done, but I don’t think it needs to infringe on our second amendment rights.”

courtesy teepublic.com

Anti-gun group wants Florida assault weapons ban on 2020 ballot

Of course they do . . .

Frustrated by the Legislature’s refusal to pass a ban on assault weapons, a group of gun control advocates is working to put the issue before voters in 2020.

Ban Assault Weapons Now consists of relatives of victims of the mass shootings at Pulse nightclub and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as well as current and former elected officials. A ballot measure is necessary because the Legislature won’t act, group leaders said.

“We didn’t think it was going to happen through the Legislature, [and it] didn’t last year at the height of the emotion surrounding the issue,” said Paula Dockery, a committee member of BAWN and a former Republican state senator from Lakeland. “Just giving the voters of Florida the opportunity to vote on it would be a victory.”

courtesy ajc.com

Armed teachers become a reality in Georgia

And their students will be safer for it . . .

As students across metro Atlanta and the country head to school each day, the adults in their lives grapple with how to keep kids safe. More police? More guns? Fewer guns? More locks? More cameras? More technology?

Laurens County’s school board approved arming teachers last month. The Florida shooting seemed to set the dominoes falling. Georgia made it legal for school systems to arm teachers in 2012, but this month the Fannin County Board of Education will consider a similar decision, and there are discussions in others, such as Floyd and Bleckley counties. Most metro Atlanta school system leaders have so far declined to consider it, though Clayton County Superintendent Morcease Beasley said after Florida that the issue was “more complicated than a simple yes or no (for or against); it will require a multifaceted response from more than a single entity making a decision.”

Yeah, I’d still want home defense firearms, thank you very much.

comments

1. avatar former water walker says:

Gee Massachusetts really sucks. I thought Illinois sucked(it does) but I can buy all kinds of goodies(for now!) with a FOID. Ten bucks every 10 years. Shall issue CC. Still get an AR. No mag limits where I live. But Indiana beckons…the property taxes are insane.

1. avatar J says:

Yes, Illinois does suck. Property taxes on a $275,000 where I live in Illinois range around $7,000 a year. Just wait till the fall election if the Chicago Democrats take over the governors office. All of the bills they are pushing through will be a reality. The disturbing this is they are going after parts for builds now. A lot of other Democratic control states are doing the same thing. They even have similar language in their bills about banning parts for builds.

Here is a list of Bills still in play in Illinois on gun control. It really is not over till the governor votes all of these, but Chicago Democrats will just resubmit these and others.

Senate Bill 1657 and House Bill 1273, Dead for now.

House Bill 1465, would deny law-abiding young adults under the age of 21 their Second Amendment rights by prohibiting them from possessing or purchasing commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms, standard capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and .50 BMG caliber rifles. The bill would require adults under the age of 21 to dispose of such firearms within 90 days and to dispose of standard capacity magazines over ten rounds in capacity immediately. In addition, language in the bill would prohibit out-of-state visitors from being present in Illinois for no longer than 24 hours with such firearms or standard capacity magazines.

House Bill 1467, It would ban bump stocks and trigger cranks. It would require owners of bump stocks and trigger cranks to dispose of them within 90 days.

House Bill 1468, would require a 72 hour waiting period for certain commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms and .50 BMG caliber rifles. Current Illinois law requires a 72 hour waiting period for handguns and a 24 hour waiting period for long guns. House bill 1468 to impose a 72-hour waiting period on modern semi-automatic firearms is currently sitting on Gov. Rauner’s desk. Hopefully, the governor will veto this.

House Bill 1469, would ban standard capacity ammunition magazines over 10 rounds in capacity. This bill has no grandfather clause allowing owners of these magazines to keep them, and would instead require that they be disposed of within 90 days.

House Amendment 1 to House Bill 1470, would arbitrarily limit law-abiding citizens to one handgun purchase a month.

House Bill 1664, sponsored by Representative Deb Conroy (D-46), would direct the state police to create a Dangerous Persons Hotline to allow anyone to report individuals who they think present a clear and present danger to themselves or others and who own a firearm without any evidence required.

Senate Bill 2314, would repeal the firearm preemption law that has been in place since 2013. Preemption law helped pave the way for Illinois to have concealed carry. But, Chicago Democrats gave cities 10 days to put in bans for certain magazines and firearms before the deadline to be exempt during the 10 day window.

Senate Amendment 1 to Senate Bill 2340 will impose broad and vague requirements that far exceed federal law on firearm components. It would prohibit the possession of raw, unfinished receivers, firing pins, and barrels or build components by individuals who are non-FOID card holders.

Senate Amendment 1 to Senate Bill 2343, and Senate Bill 2247, would make it a non-probational Class 2 felony with a minimum sentence of three years imprisonment to merely sell, manufacture, purchase, possess, or carry certain firearm accessories. If these accessories are attached to a loaded firearm, it would be a Class X felony punishable by 6-30 years imprisonment.

Source: NRA ILA

2. avatar Ed says:

You even have to go through all this garbage for a BB gun in Ma. I couldn’t believe it!

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Dan, I was just about to send the HurlPo piece to you! That was the freakin’ worst.

I know that it’s a progressive rag, but like a horrible accident, I couldn’t stop reading it. Totally in the tank for the Knowledge, Wisdom, and Power of the State. Cohn seems to believe that the police are prescient and just know who’s going to misuse a gun.

I’m [almost] surprised that they included something from Jim Wallace from G.O.A.L.. Most of the, um, “facts” were from anti-rights people like the BPD Commissioner Evans, David Hemenway, John Rosenthal, and a lawyer from the Giffords Center.

I first got my LTC in 1976 and the law then was clear: permits may be issued to suitable people. That was not added in 1998. The Class A / High capacity / Class B and “discretion” (aka “may issue” for FID cards) was in the 1998 act.

Gee, up here in the Free State of NH, where you can own tactical nukes without a permit, there must be blood in the streets compared to the utopia of the People’s Republic. Or not.

1. avatar AdamTA1 says:

I was amazed they had an opposing viewpoint in the article even if it was only a sentence. The comments however gave me a huge headache.

3. avatar Paul Mcmichael says:

Arming teachers? Yeah, maybe. Like one of mine, Mr. Ford. Korea vet. Support troop in communications. When they tried to issue him an M-1 carbine he refused. Insisted on an M-1 rifle. My sister who teaches? Not so much. Why not put L.E.O.s in the schools, in addition to S.R.O.s, that look like janitors, substitute teachers, lunchroom workers, etc. I’ve worked a couple of schools. These people come and go and are invisible to the kids. Doesn’t have to be one there every day. Just as long as any potential shooter knows there might be.

1. avatar TexTed says:

“Arming teachers” is a terrible idea, and a terrible marketing strategy. It makes the pearl-clutchers think you’re going to force a gun in their hands. And if they’re pearl-clutchers, I don’t think any of us want a gun in their hands!

Allowing armed individuals to carry on school property? That’s an entirely different approach, and it’s actually what we’re talking about here. That will work. That’s what Trump’s advocated.

This whole thing about “arming teachers” is bad language that is unnecessarily terrifying people; I hope we can quit using this term and instead go with something more descriptive, like — I don’t know, like “enabling school employees to defend their students” or something.

1. avatar That One Guy says:

As the husband of an elementary school teacher, that’s my go to language when the conversation arises.

I’m not interested in “arming teachers”, I’m interested in allowing teachers to arm themselves at work just like they arm themselves when they are not at work.

I want my wife to be able to defend herself with the most effective tool devised at any moment or location she finds it necessary to do so. If a side effect of her being able to defend herself is the ability to defend her students, or the general deterrent of needing to defend anyone in the first place, all the better.

2. avatar Chris Mallory says:

Most cops don’t have the skills or a high enough IQ to work as janitors or lunchladies.

4. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Sweet Wagoneer!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

…and it would be impossible for them to sell that same vehicle today, thanks to ‘regulations’.

You could actually just pop the hood and work on stuff you could actually see in front of you, but, Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

*mutter*…

1. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

I’ve had 3 Cherokees with the 4.0 liter straight 6 engine. One of them went from me to my daughter to one of her friends and is still going with over 300,000 miles on it.

I wish I had kept 1 of them.

5. avatar Jason A Somers says:

I completely agree with arming teachers. My wife is a teacher and our son is in the same building with our daughter formally attending school there. She does not want to carry a weapon, which I can agree with also. I think it should be allowed on a case by case basis, if the teacher holds a CCP, the decision is theirs.

1. avatar TexTed says:

EXACTLY.

When these teachers hear “arming teachers”, they seem to think that we’re going to force a gun in their hands. Of course they rebel at the thought. But that’s not the issue, and by using the wrong wording we’re fighting a battle that isn’t even relevant.

You know how we could probably circumvent all this and get the program implemented right away (at least in many districts)? Team up with the damn police, and have them issue some bogus half-ass “school officer” badge to licensed carriers who work at schools. Give ’em some 4-hour training, and let ’em have a stupid badge. It’s meaningless (to us) but it would probably put all the pearl-clutchers at peace.

Far from an ideal solution, but something that might actually work.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Given the socialist insurgents masquerading as “teachers” these days, I think a CCW permit is a good litmus test. Don’t want to carry a gun? Feel free to get out. It does not take a rocket scientist to teach k-12 subjects, especially when your instruction is backed up by appropriate discipline.

6. avatar GS650G says:

I’ll never understand just what Mass politicians are thinking. Do they really think all the people in Mass are loons or something?

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Not loons, subjects.

2. avatar DaveL says:

Gun control is not, and has never been, about what a few depraved and deviant people might do with guns. It’s about what great masses of honest people might do with guns.

7. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Cool safe house.
    I’d still want claymores, squeegees, mops and some empty body bags.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“I’d still want claymores, squeegees, mops and some empty body bags.”

In a Sci-Fi book I read years back, the underground safe house had an emergency exit tunnel that had a number of 6-foot deep pits dug into the side of the passage with a stack of 50-pound bags of quick lime next to each…

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Don’t tease me bro.
        Now I want to know the name of that book!

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

“Friday” by Robert Heinlein.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Mr. Montana got it.

‘Friday’ (1982) by Heinlein.

Every few years, I re-read it…

3. avatar Geoff PR says:

The only problem with body bags, Tom, is that the body inside them starts to swell.

And keeps swelling, and swelling, and swelling until…

*Pop*.

The ‘pit and lime’ method is just a whole lot more sanitary way of ‘disposal’…

2. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

Don’t forget the bleach. Lots of bleach.

3. avatar Big Bill says:

All you really need is a “dinner reservation.” And some gold coins.

8. avatar Gralnok says:

Well, I wouldn’t call Sandra Bullock “America’s Sweetheart” but she’s definitely on that bus. 😉

9. avatar Chip in Florida says:

“..“We didn’t think it was going to happen through the Legislature, [and it] didn’t last year at the height of the emotion surrounding the issue,”

The Feels! They weren’t enough!

“…said Paula Dockery, a committee member of BAWN and a former Republican state senator from Lakeland.”

A politician that is FOR gun-control? Could that be part of the reason she is now a *Former* State Senator?

“…Just giving the voters of Florida the opportunity to vote on it would be a victory.”

Why do I get the feeling that you, very much like Hillary Clinton, will spend several years after you lose complaining about the loss instead of accepting the defeat as proof your gun-controlling ideas are not as popular as you think?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Dockery is from my town, and I am ashemed to say I voted for her, several times.

She *was* solid on gun rights.

Reading that made me sick and angry…

10. avatar ironicatbest says:

By all means arm the teachers, it distracts the children when you write, ” Hello my name is Miss Stubs” on the chalkboard with your mouth

11. avatar Kroglikepie says:

Good lord, go read those comments at that Huffle Puff article. If communist scum like that ever get a scrap of power there *will* be a civil war. That or a genocide.

The article itself was… well, what passes for journalism these days is pathetic enough as it is, and it lowered the bar.

1. avatar Ing says:

Hey now, don’t go maligning Hufflepuff’s good name. They’re the least nosy and authoritarian of all the Hogwarts houses, and they stepped up bigtime in the Battle of Hogwarts. It’s a great place for people like you and me who are willing to live and let live (as long as it’s reciprocal) and mostly just want to be left alone.

The Puffington Host is a whole different thing. A ball of rancid malice cloaked in a benevolent disguise, the propaganda arm of an ideology dedicated to erasing an entire group of people from society.

1. avatar Kroglikepie says:

I always kinda felt Ravenclaw was the house of DGAF myself, with Hufflepuff being the groupies for the obnoxiously pretentious aholes at Griffondor.

“Armed teachers become a reality in Georgia”

I’m not opposed to any group keeping and bearing arms, but if I was, the group that I would not want armed would be school teachers.

There are a lot of good ones, to be sure, but too many are hideous human beings.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

I had some of those bad teachers.
      Most wore penguin suits.
      “I am appointed by God to teach you heathens!” An actual quote.
      Fortunately, such teachers are the first to say allowing teachers to carry is just wrong. All they really need is a ruler. Or the flat of their hand.

13. avatar Macofjack says:

I feel sorry for the people that live in the anti-2nd states! Illinois was my home of record while in the military, but when I retired I moved out as fast as I could.