Concealed Carrier Shot By His Own Dog While ‘Horsing Around’

courtesy messengernews.net

“My dog shot me.” That’s what Richard Remme of Ft. Dodge, Iowa told police when they arrived at his home yesterday. No, he didn’t leave a firearm lying around. Actually, he was carrying concealed at the time. So what happened?

“I carry. It’s a Ruger 9 mm, and it’s got a safety on it,” Remme said. “I was lying on the couch, and we were horsing around, me and the dog. And I was tossing him off my lap, and he was jumping back on my lap.

Where does Remme carry his gun when he’s packing?

“And I carry in a belly band, under my bib overalls. And apparently he bumped the safety one time, and when he bounded back over one of his toes went right down into the trigger guard.

“It has a trigger safety as well as a thumb safety, and he managed to hit both of them, and it discharged and went into my leg, did no major damage to anything.”

One in a million shot, Doc. One in a million. The pup, named Balew, immediately felt remorse for what he’d done.

“The dog’s a big wuss,” (Remme) said. “The poor dog laid down beside me and cried, because he thought he was in trouble for doing something wrong. He’s a pit lab mix. He’s afraid of the dark, he’s afraid of water.”

His injury was checked out and Remme was released. But he’s apparently carrying around a souvenir now.

“They want me to follow-up later with a surgeon, to see if later we need to possibly look at removing the bullet.”

comments

1. avatar little horn says:

One in a million shot, Doc. One in a million.
    cork screw statue. ouch.

1. avatar sega says:

Sounds like this dope failed on the CC issue and dog choice.

Doctor recommends he hangs up his gun and buy a real dog.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

Most dog breeds, especially mixed, are solid animals. Less medical issues, better training issues, and better temperaments overall. Pits are amazing animals, and labs are as well. Doesn’t seem like he got a raw deal, but it does seem if his story is completely true, that his dog was abused, and is a rescue.

I will talk smack about his bib overalls though.

1. avatar Huntmaster says:

No, mixed dogs don’t have fewer health issues. Responsible breeders screen for health issues and breed from healthy stock with champion titles. You ever push a shopping cart with a bad wheel? Well that is just one of the things a dog show judge is looking for when the handler wheels the dog around the ring. They also check for things like bad or missing teeth, good muscle tone and skeletal structure. Then there is veterinary screening. In some cases the screenings can cost a thousand dollars or more before the dogs are even bred. Hips, elbows, are x-rayed and checked not by one, but by a panel of canine orthopedists. Eyes screened by a board certified canine opthamologist. The hearts are screened by a board certified canine cardiologist. Hearing is screened and certified by a board certified hearing specialist. Then there are screenings for thyroid, degenerative myelopathy, and other hereditary diseases depending on the breed. Then the dogs are given physicals and screened for a couple of infectious diseases before breeding. I am a big fan of adopting but the whole idea that mixed breed dogs are healthier as a group is simply absurd.

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Most of the mixes have less problems than the pure breds. Dog breeders next to my daughter sell dogs they know have lines with genetic problems.
          I would put the health of my mutts against any of their line bred dogs.
          Best dogs are Lab Plot Hounds.

3. avatar Huntmaster says:

Like I said in my post, RESPONSIBLE breeders. Thank you Indiana Tom for making my point. People who line breed dogs with known genetic issues are only breeding more issues. The very idea that randomly bred mixed breed dogs are somehow healthier than purebred dogs from responsible breeders purposely breeding for health, conformation and performance is absurd.

2. avatar paul says:

This is the dumbest story ever! This is not a 1 in a million shot at all; more like a 1 in billion shot or more. Very simply this guy is lying and lying very badly.

2. avatar Don from CT says:

Of course if he had been carrying it in a proper holster, this wouldn’t have happened.

Don

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

My thought as well ,the dogs toe wouldn’t have interred the trigger guard to discharge said firearm.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I agree with Don and Green Mtn. Boy: carry in a hard holster if you are going to horse around.

1. avatar paul says:

You guys are kidding right? There is no way this guy is telling the truth and THATS the truth!

3. avatar BehindEnemyLines says:

I’m glad he and his dog are okay. This is one of those exceedingly rare unintended discharges that didn’t involve breaking the four rules of gun safety. It does however highlight the importance of a sturdy holster that covers the trigger guard.

1. avatar Paul Mcmichael says:

BehindEnenemyLines, you said a mouthful there. Next to the weapon itself, method of carry is the most important thing. Don’t skimp on leather!

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

Well I got two dozers clearing game habitat No place for turkey nest or deer around here. And I’m still waiting on that ” knock on my door” from the Fish n Game you threatened me with. Im doing what I said I’d do, still waiting on your threats to appear

1. avatar Gralnok says:

I’m not sure I even want to know what you’re talking about.

4. avatar gordon baglaj says:

Poor thing, He’ll (the dog) have to live with this the rest of his life.

5. avatar Bitter says:

Good habbits and a good solid holster are better than any “safety”. Maybe a good reason to carry a revolver?

6. avatar Secundius says:

He’s going to have a Hard Time living that one down, not mention be Snickered At by his own family…

7. avatar Jeremy in AL says:

“possibly look at removing the bullet.”

Bet he wished he was carrying lead free ammo…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Bet he wished he was carrying lead free ammo…”

Most likely, not.

Elemental (metallic, not compound) lead is for all practical purposes not considered toxic when left in a human body as a ‘lump’…

1. avatar Red in CO says:

Indeed, and in the vast majority of cases where there is a gunshot entry wound but not exit wound, medical personnel will simply leave the bullet inside. Unless its placement is interfering with something like a joint, it does little to no harm to leave it inside the body, and then you don’t run the risks of surgery

8. avatar Secundius says:

I word How Hard the Ambulance Crew were Laughing at the time, not to mention the Police Officer writing out the report…

9. avatar DrewR55 says:

Well, I hope the owner remembers that his dog knows how to use a firearm the next time he is looking at the cheap Ol’ Roy dry dog food instead of something fresh.

10. avatar RevolverBoomboom says:

“I told you I don’t want to play and you can get your own damn slippers from now on too.”

11. avatar former water walker says:

He lost me at bib overalls and a belly band…YE HAH!😄

1. avatar Secundius says:

I suspect that “Belly Band” is something similar to a Tactical Cummerbund. As I recall, Mr. Greenjeans from Captain Kangaroo fame wore Bib Overalls…

2. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Yeah that had me scratching my head, who wears those things? Last guy I saw wearing those looked to be north of 60 and that was at least 20 years ago.

1. avatar Steve says:

Carhartt bibs are actually pretty common on construction sites. Plumbers typically wear black ones, and electricians typically wear brown ones. I happen to have a pair myself, but I only wear them when it’s really cold outside, cause they’re too much of a PITA unless you need the extra warmth.

12. avatar Jon in CO says:

Feel bad for the dog. Ripping a round through the house probably hurt it’s ears pretty badly. Sounds like a rescue dog, assuming dudes story is 100% fact. However, from what is in the article, seems a little fishy.

1. avatar Secundius says:

according to the “Independent” (UK based), Dog (Lab-Pitbull mix) was sitting on owners lap. Then owner shooed-off the dog, and then dog jumped back onto the owners lap. Jarring the Safety Toggle and the Gun discharged in the process…

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

I was referring to the “afraid of water” and “afraid of the dark”. Sounded like a rescue dog to me.

1. avatar Secundius says:

OK!/? If the Dog was a “Traumatized Rescue Dog”, I would suspect that being Shooed-Off the owners lap. The dog would Sulk-Off and Cower somewhere, not Turn Around and Jump Back onto the owners lap…

13. avatar How_Terrible says:

I live in the area this happened in, and have seen a photo of the guy. He is just shy of 60, and redneck as hell. He just looks like the sort of person that wears bib overals.

14. avatar Tommy says:

I think this idiot shot himself and made that dog story up.

1. avatar CZJay says:

Sounds like it.

Even if the dog actually made the gun go off, he should know better than to be playing around while he is carrying in that manner. Imagine what could have happened if he was wrestling around with kids.

2. avatar Craig in IA says:

I agree with the self-inflicted theory. Reholstering- pretty common. Damn embarassing to have to admit and the poor mutt can’t defend him/herself…

If events are true, it’ll likely end up with a lawsuit against Ruger. I tangle with my GSP all the time and have a Glock 43 in a Galco belly band IWB. No saftey there to “trip” and no way the dogs claws can get into the trigger guard while holstered.

““My dog shot me.” That’s what Richard Remme of Ft. Dodge, Iowa told police”

Hey, Remme, was that before or after the dog ate your homework?

16. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

These sort of things tend to happen in Ft. Dodge.

The moral of the story is if you’re going to play with dogs don’t carry in a belly band.

17. avatar Ing says:

If dogs can shoot people, this changes everything. Maybe now we know why the police tend to shoot dogs first and ask questions later.

18. avatar Hannibal says:

The dog managed to manipulate a mechanical safety to the off position (not usually that easy) through clothing and a belly band, then somehow reach into the trigger guard and pull the trigger, again, through multiple layers of material?

Yeah, and when I was 10 my dog ate my homework.

Our friend shot himself doing something stupid and blamed it on the dog (is there anything you can’t blame on them?).

19. avatar Gralnok says:

Well, I guess you can obey all the safety rules and still have a bad day. This is why I take my gun out when I get home. I always have it near me, but not necessarily on me. Also, my little terrier mix is a bit easier to shoo away. Still, that’s also why I’m very cautious where I put my fingers when I handle my gun. I’ve had times when I take it out, and the safety had somehow been disengaged. Slightly alarming, but nothing more, since I keep my fingers away from the trigger.

20. avatar Matt says:

To summarize, the guy shot himself and blamed it on his dog

1. avatar GunGal says:

Yip, shot himself and blamed on the dog. 🙄

There’s just too much about this story that does make sense for a dog to accidentally shoot someone.

1. avatar GunGal says:

Correction: Doesn’t make sense
        Man up Mr., your dog did not shoot you 🤔

21. avatar Anonymous says:

Yeah I would get that removed – ASAP.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Meh, lots of people go through life with bullets and no elevated lead in their blood. It’s not in a form that is conducive to leeching like if you eat it as a powder (which is why you wash your hands after the range).

The whole “gave him a case of lead poisoning” thing is pretty much a myth. A lot of times it’s better not to remove a bullet unless it’s causing a problem.

1. avatar Gralnok says:

Beep beep beep!
        “Sir, please remove all metal objects before stepping through the detector.”
        “Oh that? That’s just an old injury.”
        “Oh? Are you a veteran? A retired officer?”
        “Nope, my dog shot me a while ago.”
        “Your dog shot you?”
        “Yup!”
        “… Riiight.”
        “What?”
        “Nothing. Step over this way, if you please.”

22. avatar Big Bill says:

If the belly band was inside the overalls, no way.
    And just because some of you are far too sophisticated to be seen anywhere a pair of overalls doesn’t mean they aren’t very comfortable, and good workwear for many jobs. It may mean you’re just too full of yourselves.
    I play that game with my current pound puppy; he jumps on my lap, I push him off (he really bounds off), then turns around and jumps right back up. Repeat for ten minutes, and he’s ready to settle down for a nap. Convenient, that.
    I don’t carry in the house, so no fear of this happening.
    But some of you need to get over yourselves, re: overalls.

1. avatar Levi says:

Bib Overalls are badass, y’all don’t know what you’re missing! Ditto on using holsters that cover the trigger guard with hard material.

23. avatar DrDKW says:

Someone I know put an unplanned 9mm Glock bullet through the dash-light switch on his SUV.
    Good news was after installing the new switch, there was absolutely no visible damage to the dash-panel.
    Not so good was the $300 it cost him, for me to repair wiring-harnesses, the signal-flasher assembly, and other related parts inside the dash-panel.
    Never found the bullet!

DrDKW

24. avatar Mikial says:

Belly Bands are nothing but elastic cloth and are too soft and flexible to provide adequate trigger protection. Always carry in a solid holster.

25. avatar Gun Owning American says:

And now cops will sight this story when they shoot people’s dogs.

26. avatar Alan C. Martin says:

Nice

27. avatar duroSIG556R says:

I call bullshit on his story.

1. avatar Secundius says:

I don’t. Back in the ’70’s there was a Donut Shop and a Police Officer. The Police Officer had just sat down to enjoy him Morning Ritual, when of some unknown reason he decided to shift his position on the Counters Swivel Chair. In doing so, his Service Revolver discharged. The Bullet hit the Decorative Curved Metal Base of his Swivel Chair, ricocheting the bullet back up to his Back Pocket of His Pants where his Butane Lighter was kept. Bullet upon hitting the Lighter detonated the Butane propelled him over the Counter into the Kitchen. In telling his demise to the two Ambulance Responders, they were Laughing so hard that they dropped the Gerney into the Thorned Holly Bushes that surrounded the Donut Shop. Stupid things happen all the time, many aren’t recorded because there’s nobody else there to see it happen and record the event…

28. avatar Drake_Burrwood says:

What does this get the concealed carrier..

BRAGGING RIGHTS.
    “Yup.. let me tell you about the time my Own Dog shot Me.. with my concealed carry weapon. While it was Concealed.”

+++X;B=3~<

29. avatar Mike Betts says:

On the supposition that this incident did, in fact, occur as the man described it, the error in the carry of his firearm is obvious. A holster which allows ANY manipulation of a manual safety, grip safety, or trigger safety is inadequate and therefore unsafe.