MAGPUL Hands Out Free PMAGs in Vermont Ahead of Magazine Capacity Limit Law

Last week, the Vermont legislature passed a series of gun control measures, one of which would limit magazine capacity to ten rounds for long guns and 15 rounds for handguns. Vermont’s governor has said he’ll sign the bills into law.

Austin-based MAGPUL, with help from RECOIL Magazine, saw an opportunity to duplicate the success of the “Boulder Airlift” they mounted in Colorado after a similar law was passed there.

The Vermont magazine give-away, dubbed the Green Mountain Airlift, distributed 1200 30-round PMAGs to pro-gun rights protesters yesterday.

Gun rights activists gave out free rifle magazines Saturday in Montpelier as Gov. Phil Scott is poised to sign gun-control proposals into law. …

The action was also a fundraiser with the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs taking donations high on the steps of the Capitol. Down the stairs, Keith Stern was collecting signatures for a run for governor while a few kids frolicked in the sun and collected packets of magazine with their families.

comments

1. avatar Gutshot says:

I do love me some Magpul! Now, if only Colt would hand out free AR’s…..

1. avatar Flinch says:

Fun to see the world through Magpul-colored glasses.

Recoil, however is still on my do not buy list along with Springfield, rra, etc. Ian sure turned the around the editorial content of recoil but trespassing on the 2A dies a hard death.

1. avatar Gutshot says:

Call me ignorant, but I am aware of Springfield’s evil deeds, but not Recoil. What’s their story?

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Their 2nd or 3rd magazine was featuring an MP7 and their editor went “full R-Tard”. Talking about how us peons shouldn’t have access to weapons like the MP7 and full auto should only be for military. I myself haven’t bought a copy since.

2. avatar Tom in PA says:

You might reconsider your relationship with Recoil. I dumped them until they took action and got rid of weak 2A loser boy Jerry Tsai – forcing him to resign in late 2012 (yes, it was that long ago – time flies!). Once they hired Ian, I watched the content to see if there was any change – which there was, significantly. Ian is seriously pro 2A, and having read each issue over the last 3 years, I can attest that he promotes 2A rights and appears to be rather uncompromising. I read his intro (Down Range – Editors Letter) at the beginning of each issue. What he writes, as well as the rest of the articles, take a very different tone than they did under loser boy Jerry – definitely a supportive partner now.

3. avatar Flinch says:

Thanks Tom. Good enough for me. Guess I give recoil another shot now. But hey, I said it was on my do not buy list, not on my do not read at the supermarket while waiting for wife list.

2. avatar Guardiano X says:

Sooo…RECOIL published one bad article, got rid of the offending writer/editor, but we’re STILL going to boycott them for…reasons? I don’t understand this type of cannibalism. RECOIL is probably the best firearms magazine out there right now, and they regularly publish articles fully supporting the 2A.

2. avatar Geoff says:

If it comes down to having to forcibly remove traitors to the Constitution, they just might!
      There is a law against overthrow of the Government , But AFAIK there isn’t one on arresting traitors.
      Including politicians.

2. avatar TheUnspoken says:

Awesome work Magpul and recoil! As for the Despicable Republicrat traitors… Nothing kind to say about them!

I haven’t read the law yet, does it bar possession or just no sales after a certain date for mags? In effect on signature?

Gun banners act like a grandfather clause makes it “not coming for your guns” but i don’t yet possess all the guns I will ever want, nor to leave to my kids and grandkids. Some guns I will want haven’t been made yet. When that man portable laser weapon is finally invented, I will need to be able to buy one, not be stuck with by 100 year old guns. So even an AWB with grandfather clause and panic buy is a huge loss because eventually those weapons will be unserviceable, even if you have “all you need.” Which is the point. Let time confiscate them.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Bans possession unless you had them by the effective date.

The only way someone would know if you had them after the effective date is if you said so or if they traced down the manufacturing lot.

1. avatar bobo says:

That is why your ‘file’ slips while cleaning any ‘plastic’ mags you own on day one—right across that ‘made on date’ stamp!

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Dremeled off and replaced with Molon Labe on every magazine, regardless of date of manufacture. Hell, even I wouldn’t know which I had that were made before or after October 1.

2. avatar Jon in CO says:

3. avatar Anonymous says:

Meh.

Just click “3D print” on your printer. Done deal. That’s what these idiots don’t understand. You can’t stop the signal.

4. avatar John in Ohio says:

“There is nothing I can find anywhere that makes tampering with a “born on date” of a magazine, illegal.”

Yup. 😉

2. avatar Serpent_Vision says:

I expect that NH gun dealers along the western border will see an uptick in business if the governor signs it.

2. avatar Rand says:

They start with a grandfather clause to ease it into you then in a few years they will go full-on Kalifornistan and outlaw your property with no compensation.

1. avatar Mark says:

Um they can’t do that. It has already been halted by the 9th circuit.

1. avatar Ed says:

Hmm, Really? See: Bump Stock, Massachusetts

2. avatar Mark says:

True. And thus no one should comply with this. I fucking despise MA with a passion and that’s why I will never buy a Smith and Wesson product. BTW, is this being challenged in the courts? You know, THEFT and all that?

2. avatar Jeep1967 says:

This is exactly how they have done it in California. They keep making incremental changes to their gun laws, like 10 round mags max, then magazine safeties and they keep adding required features or banned features until there are only a handful of firearms that meet their regulations. Then they will look at that handful and say “ok, what regulation can we make that will effectively ban the rest of these firearms?” They are getting very close to this point with handguns, and they are working diligently towards doing the same thing with long guns. This is why many of us are so opposed to ANY new gun laws.

3. avatar John in Ohio says:

Excellent.

Hopefully, Magpul will produce some magazines very soon with no date code. Even if they don’t have warranties, it will send a message and provide great utility for those stuck behind enemy lines.

4. avatar Shawn says:

Much like in Colorado and Washington it will be unenforceable. Unless the date is stamped there is no way to know if it was pre or post ban. The police have already said they won’t enforce it and private sales again no way to enforce it.

1. avatar Art out West says:

There is no magazine ban in Washington

1. avatar Art out West says:

Yet

1. avatar Rand says:

Soon!

2. avatar strych9 says:

“Unless the date is stamped there is no way to know if it was pre or post ban”

We went through this, in depth, yesterday.

Magpul stamps a date of manufacture on every mag they make. It’s part of their QC system and they’re not going to stop doing it. Just barely touching it with a dremel tool with the right attachment will get rid of the year portion of the date stamp circle and you’ll be fine.

5. avatar Mr Lizard says:

Troll hard my friends

1. avatar California Richard says:

As in “magpul is trolling the state of VT” or “we are being trolled by TTAG and RECOIL on April fools day”?

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

Trust me it happened sadly,I was there,Nobody’s being trolled ,18 to 20 year olds got P Mag magazines before anyone else,as they are prohibited from being full citizens of Vermont until age 21.
        Went to show support for VTFSC,didn’t even bother with the line for P Mags although enough can’t be said of Magpuls gracious gift of magazines to Vermonters. That and Recoil Magazine,organized the event on short notice and managed to beat Mr.governor Benedict Scott to his John Hancock on this Treasonous act.

6. avatar Aaron M. Walker says:

“Free-staters of VT. Purge your government of DemoCommies, and RepubliCONS! Help keep Vermont a “Free-State”!!! P.S. : Same goes for you NH ! Don’t become another Peoples Republic of Massachusetts…

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

@ Aaron M. Walker

It’s already in the works,Mr.governor RINO,aka Benedict Scott is toast as is a majority of the legislature,whether they know it or not.

from vtdigger.com

“John Helfant, a sergeant with the Vermont State Police who attended the rally as a private citizen, said Scott will hurt his re-election bid if he signs the bill into law.
      “I think the governor’s going to sign it and I think it’s going to be real bad for him,” Helfant said. “I don’t think he’s going to win another term. He’s lost his base, his Republican base. I don’t think there was a single person here who’s going to vote for him, and he didn’t win by that much last time.”
      Helfant says the Legislature has created laws that are “unenforceable and will really do nothing for safety for Vermonters.” He says the magazine cap is unconstitutional under Article 16 of the Vermont Constitution, and he believes the universal background check law will not prevent people from selling guns in the privacy of their own homes. The age limit can also be circumvented, he said, because it doesn’t apply to possession.”

7. avatar No one of consequence says:

I’ve been meaning to subscribe to Recoil anyway, as our local grocery store (Smith’s, owned by Kroger) pulled them and moved the remaining three gun mags to the “Playboy” shelf.

Turns out you can subscribe right from your Amazon account … $50 for a year of paper, much less for Kindle (but I don’t like how that platform handles magazines, oh well).

8. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

This from vtguns

There were well over a thousand present. People were given one ticket for one magazine and all 1,200 were given out.
    So, there were well over 1,200. Many people did not want to stand in the lines for receiving a magazine. So, they left
    after the speakers were done without a magazine.

These magazines are the type of “high capacity” banned by S.55. Many thanks to Recoil Magazine and MAGPUL for
    providing the 1,200 PMAGs that were distributed within 24 hours of the Vermont Senate passing S.55.
    Please call Governor Scott at 802-828-3333 and politely say “Veto S.55 and its Mag. Ban”
    Hundreds turn out for gun rights rally

By Anne Galloway
    Apr 1 2018, 8:39 AM 0 Comments

MONTPELIER — Hundreds of gun activists swarmed the Statehouse lawn Saturday afternoon to protest the passage of S.55, legislation that puts sweeping new restrictions on gun use in Vermont. Republican Gov. Phil Scott has promised to sign the bill into law.
    Get all of VTDigger’s political news.
    You’ll never miss a political story with our weekly headlines in your inbox.

RELATED STORIES
    Gun rights group plans magazine handout in protest of law
    In final chapter of gun debate, Senate narrowly passes expansive restrictions
    Lawmakers advance two gun bills with unanimous support
    AG’s office: Magazine limit in gun bill ‘largely unenforceable’
    After second marathon debate, House OKs historic gun restrictions
    During the rally, participants formed two lines on the sidewalk in front of the Statehouse on State Street sidewalk in Montpelier to pick up 30-round gun magazines, provided for free by Magpul, a manufacturer of firearm accessories.
    The event was coordinated by the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, and Rob Curtis, executive editor of RECOIL, a “firearm lifestyle magazine” based in California. Curtis, who lives in Williston, contacted Magpul for the donation of 1,200 magazine rounds. All of the magazines were given away on Saturday.
    Curtis told WCAX that his fear was that lawmakers were passing “kneejerk” legislation “without any depth and it’s not going to make Vermont any safer.”
    One of the new restrictions in the bill passed by both the House and Senate last week is a ban on long gun magazines with more than 10 rounds and pistol magazines with more than 15 rounds. In addition, the legislation requires background checks for private gun purchases, prohibits gun purchases by residents under the age of 21, and bans bump stocks, devices that significantly increase the speed with which semi-automatic weapons fire bullets.
    Scott, who previously opposed changes to Vermont’s gun laws, said in a press conference on Friday that he supported the bill.
    At the rally, gun rights activists took their frustrations out at Scott. A Phil Scott for Governor sign from the 2016 election was Xed out and participants openly talked about how the governor had abandoned his political base.
    “The universal background check doesn’t apply to family members so I can purchase a gun for my 18 year old child and they will never have a background check and they can possess it,” Helfant said.
    Northeast Kingdom lawmakers Sens. John Rodgers and Joe Benning and Rep. Jan Wilhoit, decried S.55 at the rally.
    Chris Bradley, president of the Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, says his group intends to sue the state over the new law.

9. avatar DoomGuy says:

I cannot express how awesome this is.

10. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Now if they will just show up on election day.
    I think Bernie Sanders supports a ban on 30 round magazines. He has been supported by Libertarians Liberals and the Left.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Bernie for President!
      Bolsheviks are Beautiful!

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

However Bernard J. Buttwad,aka the Burnmeister,has not been supported by Constitutional conserevtives !

2. avatar Dave says:

Sanders a libertarian? When exactly?

3. avatar BehindEnemyLines says:

What libertarian supported Bernie? You might find one, but I’ll call their libertarianism into question. The people who support free market capitalism the most aren’t going to vote for a socialist. A lot of libertarians begrudgingly voted for Trump, because the party that bears our name no longer represents us. Even if it did, we wouldn’t want to Ross Perot another Clinton into the Whitehouse by splitting the vote on the right.

There’s no government like no government, but until that becomes a popular idea, I don’t have any problems with pumping the brakes on the road to tyranny.

1. avatar Serpent_Vision says:

Some thought him a better option than Clinton in the primaries, as he is opposed to excessive corporate influence on politics; so long as powerful corporations can pay for government to do their bidding, there’s no incentive to shrink the size of government.

2. avatar Joe R. says:

Burnie Sandturds is an Fing professed communist. So are his supporters. Ban the evil POS (D).

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

This is correct as he,the Burnmeister has stated such,any chance to sell his beloved Communism.

11. avatar Shire-man says:

Should have been dropping ordnance on the capitol building and rounding up out of staters for export.

1. avatar Ed says:

They should have another rally AFTER the governor signs the bill and all stand around selling eachother mags for $1 and DARE anyone to make an arrest…then place anyone who tries to make an arrest under armed citizens arrest for treason on the spot.

2. avatar Dave says:

“Rounding up” a US citizen? For what crime? Or does your idea of the Bill of Rights end at 2?

12. avatar Kyle in Upstate NY says:

How are the 30 round mags banned? The ban is not supposed to apply to bolt-actions right? Well there are bolt-actions that take AR mags and there are bolt-action ARs even. So shouldn’t the standard-capacity AR mags still remain legal then?

1. avatar Moltar says:

Dear Kyle and by extension the rest of Vermont’s gun owners,

No because you all suck and we hate you!

sincerely,
      Vermont Republicans

P.S. Please send us money and vote for us so we can stop the Democrats from passing evil gun control.

2. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

I read parts of VT’s new law the other day…it appears that the magazines for bolt actions have to be “proprietary” mags to that weapon…in my mind that rules out any AR specific magazines of >10 capacity.

1. avatar William says:

I wonder if one converted a bolt action to use AR mags but they needed to have a new latch cut made, if that would satisfy “proprietary”. Standard AR mags wouldn’t work in the bolt gun…. but they’d be backwards compatible.

13. avatar Paul m says:

Damn! I might have to buy an AR-15 just so I can justify buying some of their magazines. (Always keep a Galil ARM, or an H&K 91 close at hand.) However, any company willing to do what Mag Pul did deserves support.

1. avatar Mark says:

It is mandatory to own at least 10 AR15s. Get on it!

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

10 is excessive as a requirement. OK as a goal.

14. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yet another reason I will support Magpul.

15. avatar neiowa says:

Impossible not to love Magpul. Great products and right in the head.

16. avatar David A Bill says:

Magpul is an awesome company. I recently had a great customer service experience with them I’d like to share. While cerakoting a brand new ACSL stock for my AR I made the boneheaded mistake of putting one of the rubber covers for the battery compartments right next to the heating element of my wife’s oven. The cover melted and I couldn’t find a replacement on their website. Without me even asking them to the customer service rep offered to send me a full replacement set which they mailed to me the next day. Completely my mistake and they went out of their way to take care of me. I bought one of their t-shirts the next day because that kind of class act should be rewarded.

17. avatar Mark says:

With statements about rewriting the constitution to punish legal gun owner and the nra, i have to give mag respect for standing up and taking action.together we have to fight for our freedoms.they are brothers

18. avatar anonymous says:

P-MAGA

19. avatar Eirik says:

Would a 30rd PMag just be “rebranded” as a 9rd 458 socom magazine? In magazine capacity restricted states?

1. avatar Dm says:

I like the way you think.

20. avatar Berzrkr50 says:

I really love that Arizona doesn’t play these stupid games. It’s truly a free state!

21. avatar Jiimy says:

God it So sad that these states are pulling this shit, with mags,,, Just hope this never hits Florida,,, I have 20 colt 30 round mags, Mybe its time to buy more

22. avatar frankw says:

Both my wife and I, though handicapped, attended the rally and we estimated the crowd at near 2000. All the 1250 P-Mags were distributed and many, many attendees, including ourselves, didn’t even try to get one. So, our estimate might even be conservative (no pun intended.) As one speaker said, the fight isn’t over, its just begun.

23. avatar Jason says:

Man, what the hell has happened to the state I grew up in 30 years ago? VT was reliably conservative, even if the loons in Burlington loved their socialist hippy mayor.

New England is circling the drain.

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

“I’d like to blame it on the complete influx of commies who have moved there from RI, NY, NJ but who the hell knows.”

You would be Correct,Give That Fellow A Cigar !

24. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

Thank You Magpul and Recoil Magazine !