Hands on with the Sig Sauer P320 X-Five

At a recent media event hosted by High Speed Gear and SIG SAUER, I had the chance to spend some quality time with the new SIG P320 X-Five SIG’s new five-inch competition gun featuring the improved X-Five trigger. I didn’t have enough time with the pistol do give it a full review so this mini review will have to do until we can get one in our hand for a full going over.

The X5 is the flagship competition-ready version of the Sig P320 and has some features the standard model lacks.

SIG puts the fun back in funnel with their detachable flared magwell.

The hard-to-pronounce lightening cuts lightly lighten the LEGO-like long slide. OK, maybe LEGO-like is a stretch but the modularity of the P320 is a bit like LEGOs for adults. The X-Five’s small parts no doubt hurt when you step on them, just like LEGO.

The P320 X5 is extremely comfortable and easy to shoot accurately. It’s five-inch bull barrel and Dawson Precision fiber optic front and fully-adjustable rear sights set the shooter up for success. The rear sight is mounted on a plate than can be replaced with a micro red dot sight, such as the SIG ROMEO1.

I’m not a fan of micro red dots on pistols, especially one that requires the removal of the rear sight. SIG apparently thought of that as well and includes a back-up rear sight in the SIG ROMEO1.

The competition-ready SIG P320 X-Five has an MSRP of $1005. Stay tuned for our full review in the not-too-distant future.

Specs:

CALIBER                      9mm Luger
ACTION TYPE              Semi-Auto
FRAME SIZE                 Full-Size
FRAME MATERIAL        Polymer
SLIDE FINISH                Nitron
SLIDE MATERIAL          Stainless Steel
BARREL MATERIAL      Carbon Steel
ACCESSORY RAIL        M1913
TRIGGER                       Striker
TRIGGER TYPE             X-Series Straight
BARREL LENGTH          5 in (127 mm)
OVERALL LENGTH        8.5 in (216 mm)
OVERALL WIDTH          1.6 in (41 mm)
HEIGHT                         5.8 in (147 mm)
WEIGHT                        35.6 oz (1 kg)

comments

1. avatar Jack Marren says:

Great review.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Looks like a fun gun for ringing steel.

3. avatar uh-oh says:

Boring, what happened to the sexy sleek sigs?

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Other than the pinched-looking beavertail it’s a lot like the other newer X-series guns that they rolled out a few years ago, only this costs less than half as much and weighs 20% less than those chunks of German steel. The grip texturing looks really nice too, like the E2 grips. If they made a metal grip frame for the P320 would you be happy then?

4. avatar bobinmi says:

who would buy this thing when there is a CZ Sp01 with an MSRP of more than 300 dollars less?

1. avatar egghead says:

Yea or I’ll just stick with my CZ 75B SA which I bought for 550.
      plus it looks better with the wood grips I put on it.

5. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Six pound trigger is heavy unless this is a carry gun, in which case that butts big. Unless big butts are your thing! https://youtu.be/2Jf90OXw39k

1. avatar Bloving says:

“The flat-faced trigger is smooth, breaks cleanly (SIG lists it at 6 lbs.) at 90 degrees. It probably works well at other temperatures, too.”
      **rimshot!!**
      🤠

6. avatar Jason A Somers says:

$1k, 35 ounces, plastic, goes off whenever it wants to? I’ll take a PPQ, M&P, P30, even a few 1911.

7. avatar Rabbi says:

I own a couple of P320s and just switched to the M&P M2.0 after some comparative testing.

I shot the G17, P320, Walther PPQ, Beretta APX, HK VP9 and the M&P M2.0 one right after another in various orders and found the M&P to have the softest, easiest to control recoil. The M&P is now my prime choice.

1. avatar Just Sayin says:

^i agree. Though I really liked the PPQ.
      I chose the M&P Pro 9 w/ an Apex trigger upgrade.
      The first time I shot my standard practice drill with it I knocked 13 seconds off my score!!
      Holy bananas, Marguerite! This one’s a keeper.

8. avatar Dave says:

I really wanted to like SIG and the 320, but I just can’t trust their attitude towards quality control.

“I didn’t have enough time with the pistol do give it a full review so this mini review will have to do until we can get one in our hand for a full going over.”

Will the full going over include a drop test? ‘Cause I’m really looking forward to pics of jwt in full body armor. 🙂

10. avatar Joel Widman says:

The gun is not IDPA legal because of the extended mags and 17 rnd mags won’t fit. Looks like Sig really dropped the ball on this one.

1. avatar bobinmi says:

The mag well is removable which allows for the shorter mags thus making it IDPA legal. I’m pretty sure they thought this one out. Now, the whole idea of dropping a grand on a plastic fantastic is another debate altogether.

1. avatar John in AK says:

“. . . dropped the ball.” “. . . dropping a grand.”
        Jeez! You two are just too funny! Stop it! Just let it drop! Oh, no! It’s contagious!

2. avatar raptor jesus says:

Consider the all-metal X5s were double to triple this price, and it’s a steal.

11. avatar ironicatbest says:

polymer framed guns are over priced

12. avatar 22winmag says:

When you grow up you can get an EAA Witness P Match or P Match Pro for around $300 less and sleep well at night knowing the QC is there.

13. avatar lopaa says:

I liked the PPQ and chose the M&P Pro 9 w/ an Apex trigger upgrade.