Everyday Pocket Dump of the Day: Don’t Get Cross? [MUSIC]

Mark Bless's everydaycarry.com pocket dump

I understand why Mark Bless included a cross in his everydaycarry.com pocket dump. The crucifix affirms his faith in Jesus Christ, both to himself and onlookers. What I don’t get is .40 caliber. But just as there’s no need to replay the debate at The Council of Nicaea, there’s no need to rehash the fact that .40 is too snappy a round for most shooters. So, to quote Iris Dement . . .

comments

1. avatar OmnivorousBeorn says:

The real question is if RF picks EDCs more because they have a piece of gear he finds interesting, or more because they remind him of a 20-30 year old song.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

The answer is yes.

1. avatar OmnivorousBeorn says:

I respect that. Spices things up.

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

I like Iris. She did a duet with John Prine some time back.

Easy to listen to.

2. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

During the great ammo drought .40 was the only pistol ammo that was fairly easy to find.

I don’t care for or against the .40. I’ve shot them in a Glock and an H&K. I think if I was to go above 9 I would just go to .45acp.

1. avatar OmnivorousBeorn says:

Same. I’m not anti-40, I’m just pro-9mm. I don’t have very much experience with .40, but honestly I don’t get the hate.

The only reason I go above 9mm is for either the 1911’s trigger/controls or practice handling some recoil.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

It’s all subjective to the individual. But for me when you go above 9 the easiest of these larger caliber handguns to shoot is the .45acp. That and the .44 special in a duty size revolver.

The 1911 is not my preferred handgun. But it has some strong points going for it.

1. avatar OmnivorousBeorn says:

Agreed. 1911s are excellent range guns, but I would never carry one as a “duty gun” and carrying one IWB is a challenge.

3. avatar john yarnal says:

I like my .40 sw, but then my fun handguns shoot 45-70, 358 win, 284 win and 22-250.

4. avatar strych9 says:

.40 too snappy for some… but maybe not this guy. Personally I’ve never had a problem with .40 and I’m not a huge person. It depends on the gun and the shooter.

If .40 is too snappy for you buy a gripper and work it until you can do a couple hundred grips on each hand without stop in sets of 3. Still too snappy? Get the next gripper in the series, rinse and repeat until .40 isn’t too snappy.

1. avatar OmnivorousBeorn says:

When my sister was 12 she went to a shooting school with an M&P40. She beat another .40 shooter (65-year old) to win the man-on-man competition in a class of 35-40 people. Did I mention that she was a newbie and hadn’t shot the gun before the class?

Grip strength is good, but fundamentals/listening to and applying instruction might be the issue.

1. avatar joel says:

Wise words. People place way to much emphasis on equipment these days.

Besides, A hit with a .40 is better than a miss with a .22! 😎

1. avatar TexTed says:

A hit with a .40 is also better than a hit with a .22. Or a 9mm.

2. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Yep. In boot camp our best shooter was a guy from NYC that had never touched a gun before. A lot of us country boys had been shooting since we were little. He out scored all of us.

I asked him what his secret was. He said,’ I listened to the instructor.’

We ‘experienced’ shooters thought we knew it all. What we failed to take into account was we had all picked up bad habits.

3. avatar strych9 says:

I think a lot of it is where you start and what preconceived notions you have.

If you hand someone a .40 as their first “non-22” pistol, without telling them much about how “snappy” it is I think most people will shoot it just fine. 99% of the problems they have at that point they would have with basically any caliber handgun that has notable recoil. That’s my experience from having done exactly that with dozens of people.

However, some people are recoil sensitive in a variety of ways. Some of them just don’t like it. OK, that’s personal preference. Some people need some instruction, I think this is most people, but some people need some grip strength training not just for the grip strength but for the confidence it gives them.

You might be surprised how you can just up someone’s confidence, hence making the rest of your instruction vastly more effective, with what is basically a useless exercise and see their shooting improve by leaps and bounds very rapidly. I gave a guy the lightest gripper GripMaster makes, told him to do three sets of 50 a day for a few days and it would help him. “Magically” it did because be believed that it would. Of course I’ve also seen this NOT work at all.

Again, it’s an individual thing.

5. avatar Specialist38 says:

I guess Mark isnt most people.

If the 40 is too snappy for the masses, I’m guessing my 357 LCR with Critical Defense is right out.

Live like you wanna live……while you can.

6. avatar DrewR says:

I never found the 40 overly snappy, though I’ve only shot it in a full size Glock and a compact Beretta PX4. My problem with 40 has always been that the slight increase in performance doesn’t justify the increase in price per round. Quality hits are far more important than the power of the round, and you can generally practice 50% more for the same price with the 9mm versus the 40.

7. avatar ironicatbest says:

. Well well lord ah my gawd what do we got here…. The old cross weapon, check out that garrote called a string, can you imagine sharp edges flying rapidly in a circle, spin, spin, your hands are wrapped. OWWWW my eyes , my eyes. Ninja priest mothu fuckah

8. avatar Rusty Chains says:

I’ve carried a model 27 Glock like that and .40 will get the job done, but 9mm is much cheaper and you really should practice with what you carry. If I have to carry something other than my 9, I will go to an old 1911 lightweight .45 and it will get the job done as well. It just takes an extra 12 ounces or so to make it happen.

Snappy was an old Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Spl when I had it loaded up with hot self defense ammo, I discovered a 25 ounce gun like that will bite the hand that feeds it. That puppy bit me enough times that I was happy to sell it to a buddy who wanted a trail gun for hiking where black bears could be a problem.

9. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Anybody have any data on how many DGU first shots hit the target? I sure wish we had better DGU data.

10. avatar FreakinPeanuts says:

I have always liked .40 quite a bit. My Walther PPS is in .40 s&w. It does a great job. It is accurate and I have no doubt it will be sufficient if i ever have to use it. I also reload .40s&w. its pretty versatile. I can load 155gr bullets to shoot similar to a 9mm or 200gr and make it more like a .45 acp.