Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day: My Favorite So Far!

Ray's everydaycarry.com pocket dump)

I’m an OWG (I keto’ed the fat bit). As someone born a month before [now-anti-gun rights] Hawaii entered the union, I love seeing pocket dumps where armed Americans rock it old school. Ray’s everydaycarry.com pocket dump certainly qualifies . . .

Not only does he carry a venerable, powerful, inherently desirable Smith & Wesson 629, the New Mexican machinist carries a hatchet! And a cigar named Warpig. And a Zippo. And a Zebra 41312 G-301 Stainless Steel Retractable Gel Pen.

OK the last bit’s a bit modern, but c’mon. As Bob Dylan sang, you may call me Ray, but no matter what you say, you gotta serve somebody! Which has nothing to do with anything but Mr. Zimmerman’s Christian period fully deserves your attention.

As would Ray’s 629, should you try and pose an imminent, credible threat of grievous bodily harm or death. Whew! Make the link. Speaking of links, here’s one I prepared earlier . . .

edc everyday carry concealed carry

comments

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

It’s sad to see the Hillary Hole on such a great revolver.

1. avatar S.Crock says:

The vile thought of a Hillary Hole made me queasy.

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

I toted an N Frame Model 28 when i was a younger. In a shoulder holster. The original Jackass Rig.

The only way i could belt carry was a Roy Baker Pancake. Others just bonked into too much stuff.

I tend to favor J and K frames now for general carry. The Ns are more like backup artillery for me now.

Kudos for humping that big sumbitch around all day.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Love a revolver.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Long time?

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

It was my first.

2. avatar Swarf says:

So no, not a long time.

3. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

But I improved. More accurate. Better control.

2. avatar troutbum5 says:

Swarm, you win the Internet today. Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

That’s what broke some of the greats up. Abbot and Costello. Martin and Lewis.

The straight man never gets any credit.

3. avatar strych9 says:

Normally I’m not a big fan of revolvers but for Northern NM, where you can find big cats wandering into downtown (even in Santa Fe where they break into jewelry stores), I’d say this is actually a good choice depending on which caliber he picked.

The hatchet… I dunno about that. Trolling maybe?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“The hatchet… I dunno about that. Trolling maybe?”

Maybe he has some nasty fingernails to keep clean…

*snicker*

2. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

You get peoples attention when you pull a hatchet. A hatchet makes a statement. Gives off a viking vibe.

And nobody wants to fuck with a viking.

On the other hand he may encounter a lot of ‘Gun Free Zones’ in his day to day routine. A hatchet is better than harsh language.

1. avatar strych9 says:

I’m not really scared of Vikings. Grendel pretty well single handedly proved that most of them are next to useless.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

Grendel did it with two hands. Til a viking ripped one arm off. Then he died.

A viking ripped the arm off a hell spawned beast. Props to the vikings.

3. avatar Swarf says:

We all probably know about NYC’s insane laws about “gravity knives”, which is any knife a cop can manage to open one-handed. No matter the effort or idiocy it takes to do it, boom, you’re a felon. And they strive to get that felony enhancement. Because they are evil. But I digress.

This is a particular issue for stagehands, who need a knife to do their work, and no matter how much they tried to contort themselves to comply with the law, there where still perfectly innocent folks being hassled.

So knives are out, but some wag said “ok, fine,you’re dumb law that you abuse calls out knives, but you know what’s not called out? Hatchets.”

So, apparently, the blade of choice at Local 1 is a small hatchet like the one above.

Prohibition doesn’t work.

1. avatar Swarf says:

*were
        *your

And whatever else. Got distracted during the edit countdown.

4. avatar S.Crock says:

Does anyone take these seriously? Who carries a revolver and a hatchet with no apparent holster or sheath for them? No wallet or cell phone but a cigar and a hatchet… That sure seems practical.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Has it occurred to you that perhaps they consider the holster and whatnot to be superfluous in terms of and EDC photograph?

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Since “carry” is part of “EDC,” no. I’d say the way one carries items to be rather imperative to the point of the exercise, actually.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Depends on how you look at the point of the post. Personally I assume he has holsters for those items but I could be wrong.

I also assume most people carry their knives with pocket clips by using the clips but I know some people don’t.

2. avatar Marc T says:

I Mexican carry my 4″ K frame sometimes.

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

Obviously, he works in the woods.

The hatchet is for blazing a trail.

The cigar is to keep away mosquitoes.

The 44 is for bear that want to take the cigar.

No need for a wallet or phone in the woods.

Makes perfect sense to me.

3. avatar DrewN says:

Some of us still don’t carry cell phones on a daily basis. Mine stays on my nightstand unless I’m going out of town.

4. avatar billy-bob says:

And does a lot of walking… no keys.

5. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Looks like a winner to me. He doesn’t need a reason for the hatchet.

1. avatar Joel says:

I’m a carpenter by trade and my hammer of choice is a 14oz drywall hammer with a smooth face and a hatchet instead of a claw. I use that hatchet all the time. It doesn’t hang on my belt all day long, but I keep a hammer loop on my belt always and it is often on my person.

A lot of times I’ll put my gun in the truck if I’m working outside and have that hammer on my belt. It’s a way more effective defense tool at close range than a 90 grain hollowpoint.

6. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Nice hand cannon!

7. avatar Larry says:

Some consider wallets, keys and phone to be already understood, and tend to,focus more on gear then normal stuff .

8. avatar ironicatbest says:

I carried a hatchet when I ran tramlines,and a SA .22 made by Saur&son. A beautiful revolver, rosewood grips, brass trigger guard and back strap. Ha. , I ran out of gas years ago, broke, traded it to a gas station service attendant, for a tank of gas he went in, boss took it out back, gas was .25 cents a gallon, car held 22gallons. The moral of the story… Trading guns for gas, then and now.

9. avatar James69 says:

Hatchet in one hand, revolver in the other! No speed loader, must be an 88 magnum!

10. avatar Michael in AK says:

A club, when empty and a hatchet, a man could do worse….

11. avatar pieslapper says:

How are the ham sammidges without bread?

12. avatar Stan says:

The zebra 701 is better, works for me

13. Everyone I know loves the semi auto hand guns…I myself always love revolvers better..they don’t jam, ready to shoot without bullet in chamber and easier to clean. Give me a revolver anyday..oh yeah and a super bright flashlight led,and a knife. Plus my pitbull mix…I’m good to go.

14. avatar Dale Gribble says:

Gun and a backup weapon.

15. avatar zebra dun says:

Back in the faint mist of time I carried a 1911A1 Mexican style IWB, Zippo lighter and a Buck sodbuster as my EDC.
    I could have had a hatchet!

16. avatar Gunr says:

Where’s the spare ammo. I don’t see any speed loaders?