Bond Arms XR9-L Long Slide Bullpup Revealed

Jon Wayne Taylor awarded the Bond Arms Bullpup TTAG’s highest accolade: five stars. “It’s the end result of innovation, improvement and attention to detail,” our resident war hero wrote. “Mouse gun size, compact pistol velocity and handling.” Yes but — a bit too mousy for some. Enter the XR9-L . . .

Bond Arms Bullpup XR9 and XR9-L (courtesy thetruthaboutguns.com)

We can’t review this gun yet; it’s a Bond Arms prototype. But we did shoot the sh*t out of it and it’s just as good as its baby brother — only longer! And that means . . .

Bond Arms Bullpup XR9 next to Bond Arms Bullpup XR9-L (courtesy thetruthaboutguns.com)

A longer sight radius for more accurate shooting over distance. And greater [as yet unmeasured] bullet velocity for more “stopping power.”

Large-handed Texan gets to grips with prototype Bond Arms XR9-L (courtesy thetruthaboutguns.com)

And it felt gooood. The XR9-L boasts that most excellent trigger and better ergos, especially for large-handed Texans (who make the XR9-L look small).

Sight radius Bond Arms Bullpup XR9-L

We’ll give the Bond Arms Bullpup XR9-L a full test as and when. But this is the compact gun Jon wants to carry. What does that tell you?

comments

1. avatar Alex Waits says:

Certainly looks cool, and that’s what matters 87% of the time.

Looking forward to the review.

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Looks are irrelevant if a gun doesn’t function correctly 100% of the time.

I’ll pass and everyone who is thinking about this as a defensive gun should do the same.

1. avatar emfourty gasmask says:

you should probably re-read the article and then try commenting again

2. avatar That One Guy says:

I’m guessing you missed this part of the post?

“One thing the XR9-L didn’t do: stop. We fed the Bond — Gordon Bond — pistol a steady diet of Hornady and IMI JHPs and some loose FMJs. The ass-backwards design performed without any hesitation, deviation and plenty of repetition.”

1. avatar emfourty gasmask says:

““One thing the XR9-L didn’t do: stop.”

Let me help you out here, “The one thing the XR9-L -DID NOT- do: Stop”

“The ass-backwards design performed without any hesitation, deviation and plenty of repetition.””

“The reversed design performed -WITHOUT- any problems, and functioned repeatedly as expected.”

No offense, but you should really work on your reading comprehension. They have explicitly stated that the gun functions perfectly fine.

3. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Not trying to be a dick here but this is a pet peeve of mine. No gun functions correctly 100% of the time. It is not possible. Maybe some guns have mean shots between failure in the thousands but none are 100% reliable, especially under adverse conditions. I have little doubt that to the best of your knowledge your carry guns have never failed.

1. avatar rodentman says:

You needn’t TRY to be a dick.

4. avatar raz-0 says:

Eh, I just want one as a curiosity. Which is why I have been sitting around waiting for the long barreled version to ever show up.

2. avatar little horn says:

at least its less fugly

3. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Damn, I sure hate the fact that I have run out of discretionary funds for quite some time. If If I was flush I’d be calling my LGS, even though I have all of the handguns that I ‘need’ for the moment.

4. avatar former water walker says:

If it’s a thousand bucks I’ll pass…who’s buying the original puppy at near that price?!?

5. avatar Bob H says:

I love the concept of a 4-4.25″ barrel sub compact carry gun. I will seriously be considering this one for my summer carry rotation.

6. avatar No one of consequence says:

Wish they would support the .45 Bobergs.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Wait about 18 months.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

A bullpup compact .45?

I’m interested.

I hereby volunteer to T&E it when it comes…

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Boberg made a long and a short slide version in .45 as well as in 9. Bond Arms started by revamping the 9mm model. After I learned that they bought Boberg I asked them if they were planning on doing anything with the .45 (spare mags, even) and was told, basically, no.

So this is good news for me – thanks JWT!

2. avatar Pete Zaitcev says:

I never heard of a long-slide .45. To the best of my knowledge, there never was XR45-L in their catalog. But I may be ignorant.

7. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Speaking of Bond Ar ms, I’m anxiously awaiting a review of this; https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/2/1/shot-show-2018-bond-arms-44-mag-double-barrel-pistol/

1. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Dang, my 4.25″ in .45acp is bordering on the distinctly unpleasant with 950fps 230gr bullets. It is hard to imagine that this won’t be frighteningly brutal when loaded with full power magnum loads.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Yea, that’s definitely one I’d like to watch someone else shoot before trying it out myself. Might want gloves and a helmet.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Magnaported. Doesn’t feel much worse than the .410 version.

2. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Oops, I didn’t read very well. Count me embarrassed. Since you probably don’t have time for more than one or two shots for a charging bear anyway these seem like they might be good low weight bear defense after all and another thing on my list I can’t get.

3. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

‘…company President Gordon Bond… said that it was unlikely that the .44 Mag. barrels would be sold separately like the other caliber conversions available through the company website. Instead, it will only be available as a complete firearm. This is because the .44’s frame will be fitted with heavier firing pin springs than those found in standard frames to ensure that the second barrel is not ignited by the recoil of the first being fired.’

Doesn’t exactly sound like a pussy cat. If nothing else, I’d expect it to have more recoil than an unported .357 since the .357 doesn’t need the heavier firing pin spring. (Also makes me wonder how drop-safe the Bond derringers are.)

8. avatar guidoc says:

Kinda like holding on to a lit M-80.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

As a dumb-ass kid who stupidly accepted a dare to hang onto a lit blackcat ‘cracker as a kid, I suspect you are right on the pain potential…

9. avatar Dave F says:

No doubt Bond Arms will prefect the XR9-L to the same quality of the BULLPUP 9. Maybe now Mr Bond will expedite the development of the magazine loader he stated a while back was happening. Loader would support both the BULLPUP 9 and the XR9-L and satisfy the customers who have been requesting a magazine loader since the BULLPUP 9 first came out. Since we are on the subject of Bond Arms 9mm pistols I would like to know with the development of the prototype of a suppressor for the BULLPUP 9 will the extended threaded barrel be interchangeable with the existing BULLPUP 9 barrel? Does anyone know? I asked Customer Service and they replied it was a prototype and they did not have much info on it. I suggested they ask the product engineer. My question only involved the part of the barrel that enters the pistol. I have yet to receive a reply. Does anyone have an answer to this question? Again the XR9-L, when perfected, will be on my buy list.Stay safe.Dave

1. avatar Garrett M says:

Dave, it will most certainly have backward capability. We will be sellIng it as a combo with the threaded barrel. It is still in prototype phase but it is not that far out.

1. avatar Dave F says:

I never doubted or mentioned a change to the backward capability all I asked was if the threaded extended barrel was interchangeable with the existing BULLPUP 9 barrel. Have to assume, because no direct yes or no reply given, that as of now since still in prototype phase and will be sold as combo ( suppressor and threaded barrel ) it will be interchangeable. Now could you please address the issue of the magazine loader which many customers in articles I have read want it and the comment that Mr. Bond made that it was in the development stage. When can we expect this loader to be on the market? Believe me it is truly needed. Thank you. Stay safe. Dave

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

If Mr. Martin’s reply didn’t answer your question, then I don’t understand your question.

Why is a magazine loader needed? It seemed pretty simple for the 100 or so that I loaded up.

2. avatar Dave F says:

Maybe some people are just older and weaker then others.Glad to hear you have no problems but others do.Thank you for your concern.Do you understand now? Taking your rational I would wonder why there are magazine loaders for any weapon.Hope now you understand why a magazine loader is truly needed for this weapon,but if you do not I am glad for you that you have no problem with this issue. Stay safe. Dave

3. avatar Garrett M says:

“I never doubted or mentioned a change to the backward capability all I asked was if the threaded extended barrel was interchangeable with the existing BULLPUP 9 barrel. Have to assume, because no direct yes or no reply given, that as of now since still in prototype phase and will be sold as combo ( suppressor and threaded barrel )”

Backward compatible and interchangeable mean the same thing in this circumstance. I did give you a direct yes, that you will be able to use an extended barrel in the Regular Bullpup9. No our customer service people do not know about the suppressor because it is not for sale yet. If you have any technical questions please feel free to email me.

Garrett@bondarms.com

The mag loader will be out in the next 30-60 days along with our extended base plate.

10. avatar Garrett M says:

To All, this is a Boberg XR9-L slide and frame with our internals and coated barrel. I don’t want to have any confusion about the final gun, this is a prototype.

11. avatar Texican says:

The Boberg XR45 handles the 45 Super cartridge just fine according to ballisticsbytheinch.com so a 10mm is possible. Make the frame a little bigger for a double stack mag and you could have a great little carry package of 10+ rounds of 10mm in a gun that is easy to shoot! 2018 = The Year of the 10mm! “TM”

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

The 10mm handles significantly higher pressure than the .45Super. If Bond Arms releases a .45ACP version, and if that version is able to safely and reliably withstand the .45Super, it would still not necessarily handle the 10mm. And it most certainly won’t happen in 2018.

1. avatar Texican says:

A Glock 30 can be easily converted to 10mm. So can a 1911. Why not this pistol?

12. avatar Jim Bullock says:

Well, this is timely fun. I’m in a “Levers and cams, and rams, oh my.” kind of mood – I just spent some time with a company that makes manufacturing machinery.

The operations animation on the Bond Arms site is very informative. I’ll be interested to watch how this develops.

13. avatar DaveR says:

IMO this is a more practical gun than the shorty. It’s still marginally pocket-able (would have been more so if they had left the rail off), has a decent barrel length and can be fired using a conventional two-handed grip w/o fear of getting an explosive manicure.

My XR9-L (the Boberg predecessor) has been 100% reliable and–despite it’s small size–it’s actually very pleasent to shoot

14. avatar sound awake says:

im sorry i cant carry something that ugly on or about my person no matter how innovative or effective it is

this thing makes the smith and wesson omega look like a michelangelo

15. I was hoping they would do this. the other one looks like the holster bit off the front of the gun while it was being drawn. not to mention that now the gun has a longer barrel to get as much velocity it can out of it and still be a nice small gun with a barrel longer than the others in this size class. I may buy one myself.

16. avatar Rimfire says:

Wifey-type likes it, so maybe… she always likes the longer versions, sigh.

17. avatar Pete Zaitcev says:

I understand that 9mm is king, but I want a .45, if I were to have a range toy. Unfortunately, I missed my chance to buy one when I saw it at a gun show. You know how it goes: didn’t have enough money, the required sum was larger than my daily withdrawal limit, and my bank was far away (and actually closed already). Obviously it’s much easier to order one through a dealer and pick it up at the store, so I’m hoping that maybe Mr. Bond will get around to this part of Boberg legacy in due time.