A Right Delayed is a Right Denied, Even in the Gunshine State: Quote of the Day

Adam Putnam, FL AG SEC and candidate for governor (courtesy tampabaytimes.com)

“According to [Agriculture Commissioner Adam] Putnam’s website, the agency issued or renewed 442,000 licenses in the fiscal year that ended June 30. The average wait time for a new license is 50 to 55 days, according to the website.” Incomplete background check? Soon that might not block a concealed weapons permit.[via miamiherald.com]A

comments

1. avatar tfunk says:

What’s a right you have to get a license for?

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

A leftist’s version of a “right.”

2. avatar Binder says:

Last time I checked you need a permit for assembly in any good sized city or town.

2. avatar Ollie says:

Fuhrer’s Privilege ???

3. avatar Bigred2989 says:

Working in a FL gun store that does licensing, the biggest factor in a delay isn’t because another state is slow to send background info on an applicant, it’s the clerks in the police station doing the fingerprinting or the ones in Tallahassee screwing up. We’ve seen everything from the wrong race on the fingerprint card to having a money order cashed and an applicant denied because they were told they didn’t send money.

1. avatar MamaLiberty says:

Wrong “race?” Never heard of anyone not of the HUMAN race who wanted to carry a gun anyway.

1. avatar Casey says:

It is critically important that the government know what color your skin is, so that they can make sure everyone is treated appropriately equally.

1. avatar neiowa says:

However such descriptive info will not be disclosed when asking the public for assistance in locating a suspect.

2. avatar a random Zenobian says:

Most of us want to, too! Fortunately New Mexico has favorable gun laws. (And the dry air is good for our chitin.)

1. avatar Bruce says:

Not much reciprocity with NM. At one point, my CO permit didn’t work there, which was one reason I got one for AZ. Still don’t have reciprocity with MT.

4. avatar skoon says:

Took me almost 3 months to get my permit. Otoh my dad got his non resident ltc back in less than 3 weeks

5. avatar Jared says:

Adam Putnam leaves a lot to desired. Florida carry has had NUMEROUS problems with nonsense from the department of agriculture. For one thing, they deny people for old arrests that aren’t even disqualifiers, even if they were convicted.

One case was with an old guy with an arrest for some nonsense 50 years ago. The old courthouse in Georgia burnt down so no disposition is obtainable, so Adam and company denied him a CWFL.

Florida = most overrated “gun” state.

1. avatar Jay in still fast enough for me Florida says:

It might be to you. But its a hell of a lot better then most states. Took all of 10 minutes to renew my late less then 6 months out of date CWP. I forgot to tell the Agriculture Dept I moved and so I never got my renewal letter.

1. avatar Jared says:

No smartass, I have LEOSA, i’d wipe my ass with a FL CWFL.

I was speaking of Florida Carry, a group that actually lifts a finger in Florida to so something… unlike apathetic gun owners like yourself who think “everything’s fine!!!”

1. avatar Just Sayin says:

Gee, Jared, lighten up.
          Zero to Richard Cranium in nothing flat !!
          Take a moment to edit your original post then.
          Jay’s understanding of your post was correct for the construct you used.
          When you’re done wiping your ass with the only thing we nonLEO citizens have, you might wanna look in the mirror.
          You need to wipe off the smug privelage that’s running outa your pie hole.

2. avatar Jared says:

Gee Just sayin, why don’t you wipe your pie-hole?

I can’t bring up Florida’s problems without being accused of having a problem obtaining a FL CWFL?

Since he made it personal, I responded that I don’t need a FL license due to LEOSA.

Don’t worry though, everything in FL is fine… if you say anything about what’s going on, you must have a disqualifying criminal conviction, right?

3. avatar Aaron says:

Jesus, Jared. You shouldn’t be trusted with a badge with those anger issues.

4. avatar Jared says:

Aaron, with reading comprehension problems and lack of critical thinking skills, you shouldn’t be carrying a firearm yet here we are.

6. avatar former water walker says:

Illinois is damn slow too…

7. avatar JD says:

I flat out refuse to ask permission and pay a tax for my rights. I’ve carried for going on 35 years without doing so and will continue to do so. I don’t see the need to contract with the state for something I have the absolute right to do. Poll taxes are unconstitutional.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“I flat out refuse to ask permission and pay a tax for my rights”

Oh, so you drive without a state-issued driver’s license, then?

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Operating a motor vehicle on the public roadways is not mentioned as a right in our Constitution.

Analogy fail.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Good, *you* can walk to wherever you desire to go.

The vast majority prefer driving…

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

Yes it is. Right there in the 9A.

8. avatar Southern Cross says:

My license will expire in October. I should receive the paperwork 6-8 weeks before the expiry. The registry is trying to streamline processes and you supposedly can continue to use your expired license until the new one is approved (or denied). But myself and many others do not take the risk of a wannabe warrior cop and suspend shooting activities until the license is sorted out.

Bureaucrats can be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. I know someone who had to wait 7 months for his reapplication to be processed. His application was at the bottom of the pile and newer applications kept getting added to the top. The bureaucrat didn’t think to put the old applications on the top of the pile, but bureaucrats don’t get paid to think.

9. avatar Aaron M. Walker says: