New From Remington: 870 Tac-14 DM

The NFA skirting Tac-14 is a hit! So much so that Remington’s having another go. The newest member of the F-off ATF club: the Tac-14 DM, as in detachable magazine.

With a six round magazine, a Raptor pistol grip and Magpul fore-end the Remington Tac-14 DM is well equipped right out of the box. The 14″ barrel has a fixed choke, topped with a fix bead sight. (A rail for mounting a red dot would have been a welcome feature, aiming a shotgun is a lot harder without a stock.)

Why buy a Tac-14 DM or Mossberg’s inevitable competitor? Because you can. And because they’re cool.

In a real world home defense situation I’d want a stock on a shotgun. I can see the Tac-14 DM being a fun range toy. Yes but — at an MSRP of $559 it’s an expensive range toy.

The Remington booth at SHOT Show was massive. They had a really cool timed simulator to let visitors test how fast they can change a magazine and unload a fresh one at a target. I unfortunately did not have enough time to give it a try. I guess I will have to get a TAC-14 DM and try with live ammo. Stay tuned.

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

So, 3 weeks after you buy your new, craptastic, Remington the company goes tits up and you’re left twisting in the breeze for service issues.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

‘…and you’re left twisting in the breeze for service issues.’

In other words, same as always for Rem ington. When they recalled the trigger for my 700VTR it took 8 weeks just to send me the damn box to send it back. Which I never used because the day after I filled out the form for the recall I figured screw it and bought a Tim ney online. 2 days later it arrived and an hour or so later it was installed. God knows how long it would have taken to get the rifle back. But if anybody wants a Reming ton Xmark pro trigger on the cheap I’ve got one.

1. avatar jwm says:

My son had a problem with his Savage 110. 2 weeks from the time he contacted Savage til he had the rifle back and fixed.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

I had a similar experience with S,R&Co.

2. avatar neiowa says:

AND Ruger included an free extra mag for the 10/22

2. avatar Astigmatism says:

Where I work the TAC 14’s are not selling as well as the Mossberg.

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Because Remington’s QC rep for new guns is becoming well known.

2. avatar BLAMMO says:

I’ve always liked the 870 over the 500/590. The action feels more solid on the Remingtons. Mossbergs feel loose and rickety. Not a problem, just an aesthetic thing.

But I like my Shockwave over the TAC-14. First of all, mag capacity is one more round. Secondly, these things belong in a scabbard and the Shockwave slips in and out easier. The guards on the TAC’s Magpul fore end look like they might snag. I like the strap and the corn cob grip on the Shockwave. More old school. More badass. Just seems like it belongs on a Depression-era shotty. And the strap is a bit safer, if nothing else.

And because it belongs in a scabbard, I would never load it up with a bunch of stuff that sticks out in all directions – side saddle, rails, lights, removable mag, etc. Maybe just a compact laser and that’s it.

3. avatar Em says:

If this had a more traditional pistol grip and a pistol brace, would it still be kosher with the atf?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

With a 14 inch barrel?

I doubt it would be legal, but IANAL.

I sure don’t feel like being a test case…

2. avatar Lawbob says:

The point of the raptor grip is to get it to 26” over all length. A pistol grip might work with a 16” barrel.

1. avatar Em says:

Yes, keeping the shorter barrel. A brace would count towards the overall length, right?

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Yes and SB Tactical is making braces for both the Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Tac-14

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

A sling, a laser on that puppy and Brenneke slugs in the mag, and I am good to go for home defense…

5. avatar Mr Lizard says:

I bet this might be fun as a semi-auto

6. avatar BobS says:

Why describe it as “NFA skirting”?

It’s not skirting or evading or sidestepping, it’s not a workaround, and it’s not exploiting a loophole.
    It is very precisely in compliance with the letter of the law.
    There is nothing more legally remarkable about this product, than about any other firearm on the market.

When you invent a “we got away with something!” angle just for titillation, you provide aid and comfort to those enemies who wish to enforce non-existent laws against law-abiding citizens.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Yeah, but it’s hard to provide a stronger and most deserved FU, to such people, short of killing them.

2. avatar BLAMMO says:

You mean like bump fire stocks (which were previously unregulated by the ATF)? Let’s see what happens when somebody shoots up a casino with a Shockwave.

3. avatar J.T. says:

These actually exist solely at the whim of the ATF. All they would have to do is declare that they have no sporting purpose and they would become destructive devices, like they did with the Armsel Striker/Cobray Street Sweeper.

7. avatar ironicatbest says:

I think a shotgun with a stock is better

8. avatar James69 says:

bleh, I’ll keep my Shockwave!

9. avatar Bigus Dickus says:

Anything Remington is a no-go.

10. avatar rudukai13 says:

What’s that you say? Remington is filing for bankruptcy? Why, with quality firearms such as this, I simply can’t believe it!

Alternatively for those who suffer from a difficulty understanding sarcasm;

If you had to distill all the reasons Remington is about to go belly-up into one massively pointless turd sandwich, it would look a lot like a PGO box-fed pump-action shotgun…

11. avatar David says:

These are cute guns and all but why add the Chance for another Fail point by Creating, adding, or converting to a Box Magazine feed.

I own a VEPR 12 with a Box and Tube Feed Remington. If I run out of Spare Boxes I have to reload.
    If I ever get in a position that I need to Reload all my Boxes I would rather just keep feeding the Tube.

Don’t get me wrong I love my VEPR but having to Carry the Extra Boxes is not really more convenient at all.

BUT Yeah I guess if I am IN that Major Fight I want a Quick Release and Slam gun.
    BUT once I run out of Boxes I Will switch to my Tube Pump and just reload as I go.

Just Saying.

12. avatar raptor jesus says:

pretty much unshootable without a laser.

Source: have shot one (with the internal mag tube), needed laser.

13. avatar Robert says:

New from Remington? What, are they having a fire sale? This isn’t really the time to promote new products, just before they padlock the doors.

14. avatar little horn says:

what a turd.

15. avatar Gunr says:

Does it have any tapped holes in the top of the receiver?

16. avatar Walter Thompson says:

I’m always impressed with the innovation that the guys at Shockwave Technologies have. That Raptor Grip of theirs is simply amazing. And figuring out that NFA “loophole”=sheer genius.