Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day: Carry Only What You Need

J.S. Leonard's pocket dump

“We’ve all done it god knows I have,” J.S. Leonard writes at everydaycarry.com, “stuffed our pockets full of items that we somehow convince ourselves we’re going to use or need throughout our daily comings and goings. But in reality . . .

we never use those items and they only become bulk and deadweight in our pockets.

As it being a new year I’ve decided to go back to that basic principle Carry Only What You Need.

I think this way within the EDC community if people carry only what they need they will select quality items and not only that but useful items cause that’s the point of EDC, carrying things that make our lives more easy or comfortable. Not lugging around a lot of items that we’re never going to use.

Agreed?

edc everyday carry concealed carry

comments

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Well, if you’re not going to lug around what you don’t need, why are lugging around the non-inconsequential dead weight of 18-karat gold in that “Vintage 18Kt Gold & Stainless Omega Seamaster Diver Professional” that cost over 10 grand?

A titanium-cased watch makes far more sense…

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

a tourbillion to go with the tourniquet.

2. avatar KTR says:

Is that a tourniquet in your pocket or are you glad to see me?

1. avatar -Peter says:

That tourniquet is unnecessary. If you feel that you may find yourself in a scenario calling for a tourniquet, you had probably just go ahead and haul the rest of the trauma FAK with it.

Oh, and bring a bigger gun.

3. avatar Big Al says:

At least one spare (full) magazine is advisable. I carry 2 extra.

4. avatar strych9 says:

What’s in the little metal “pico pull” bottle?

5. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

at first i thought ogreatanotherpileojunk but then i noticed that pistol.
    that is a very nice pistol.

1. avatar BLoving says:

Is there someone named Ogre at another pile?
      🤠

1. avatar -Peter says:

Comment of the day.

6. avatar little horn says:

NO , NOOOO. Haven’t you guys learned from the other posts on this?? you have to carry 4 guns, of each different calibers and capacity and color and brand, 5 different knives ( one for 5 sizes of animal), a hatchet, a tire tool and a cable tester.

a good soldier is always prepared!

LOL

1. avatar zebra dun says:

Don’t forget a Pommel! Can’t do without at least one Pommel.

7. avatar ironicatbest says:

A gun, a knife, a watch, a rope thing, flashlight, a one hitter, and a weed stash bottle. Skip five keep two

1. avatar strych9 says:

Keep the watch and the knife then.

Also, that’s a pen not a one hitter.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

Well it could be. My watch is stuck on 4.20/sarc

1. avatar strych9 says:

I do want to know what’s in the pill bottle though. It’s so small that it basically holds something on the order of three 200mg Ibuprofen.

I guess he might take one 500mg Metformin with each meal. It would probably hold those.

8. avatar Larry says:

Omega watch, $300 knife, $100 pen, decent light, not really seeing anotherpileofjunk.

9. avatar TwoJohnsonsAreBetterThanOne says:

No rum flask?

10. avatar billy-bob says:

Dat beez SMOOV.

11. avatar Larry says:

Pill thing could hold his nitro with ease .

1. avatar zebra dun says:

Or Levothyroxine!

12. avatar KML says:

Is that a p238 or a p938? Either way, 7 in the mag and 1 in the pipe. I would like to see another mag.

13. avatar Rick B says:

Keep the Sig P X38 with great PD ammo loaded with one in the chamber, condition one, and at least one extra magazine.

Your cell phone doubles as a watch. Put a hard protective case on your phone and use its corner as a striking weapon.

Flashlight is useful, but not that necessary for my lifestyle. Knife takes lots of practice to draw and use if it isn’t a switchblade, so just carry a smaller but sturdy knife if your state outlaws switchblades or fast deployment blades.

That’s how I roll without suspenders.

🙂

1. avatar zebra dun says:

That’s good ideas, a cell phone can be used as a flashlight, mine has a flashlight stting where the camera flash becomes a small light.

2. avatar zebra dun says:

That’s good ideas, a cell phone can be used as a flashlight, mine has a flashlight setting where the camera flash becomes a small light.

3. avatar JS says:

Always wear a watch. They are a phenomenal tool for more than keeping time. Cell phones die, fail, are lost and get stolen easily. There are times when cells aren’t allowed in certain areas and especially meetings or conferences. So now you are without a watch, flashlight and anything thing else tied to a single device. No Man should ever be without a good watch.

14. avatar zebra dun says:

Hmmm, sitting at my home computer desk at 12:07 PM I pulled out what’s in my pocket.
    One Ruger LCP II, One Gerber Multi-tool 600, one Bic lighter, two wrapped peppermint candies (for Horse treats later) a semi used bandanna, I have an old Marine issue khaki web belt and buckle which I was trained can be used as a battlefield tourniquet.
    I am wearing woodland BDU’s, low moccasin’s. A Sweat shirt, a hoodie and a T-shirt, socks and underwear and a wool Newsboy flat cap. I used to carry a comb but old age has rendered a comb as moot!

Seriously, EDC changes according to where you are, what you are doing and why you have what you have on you.
    What I carry around the house is not what I carry while afield rural, urban or woodland.
    I’d say minimum, a source of fire starter, a knife/multi-tool, a CCW and a small flashlight are adequate.

15. avatar JS says:

They Omega is $2700 not $10k. Pico pull holds BP meds and IBU. As for the tourniquet? I carry one everyday whether teaching or just out and about. If I or someone else is injured ie..at the range, auto accident or god forbid a shooting, seconds count. You don’t need the IFAK over the tourniquet. The tourniquet goes on first and then you can get to the IFAK, without the tourniquet the IFAK is a bandaid kit. They were an essential part of our kit overseas, and I will always carry one as should everyone. I love how all the “Experts”post on TTAG but never pony up their carry all while attempting to tear down another who actually did or has. I’ve worked hard for what I have and earned it all through blood sweat and tears.