8000 Army 1911’s On Their Way to the Civilian Marksmanship Program!

CMP 1911 pistol (courtesy ammoland.com)

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- The CMP has been authorized to receive 8,000 1911 type pistols from the United States Army.

The 1911s have been received by the CMP. A complete inventory will be conducted over the course of this week. The pistols will then be securely stored until the Army-approved 1911 building and armory infrastructure is completed.

That completion is anticipated to be approximately 60 days from now.

Once the 1911 armory is completed, inspection, grading, repair, and ultimately test firing of the pistols will begin. (Please be aware that the CMP was led to believe that we were ready to move forward, but three weeks ago facility requirements were changed, and we are now fulfilling those requirements.)

The CMP 1911 order packet will be posted 90 days prior to the order acceptance date and opening sales date. No orders will be accepted prior to that date.

Please visit www.thecmp.org, click on the Sales icon then 1911 Information, for the latest. CMP customer service has been inundated with calls and emails concerning the 1911s and no further information is available at this time.

The CMP will keep everyone posted as we move through this process.

About The Civilian Marksmanship Program:Civilian Marksmanship Program

The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearm safety and marksmanship training and to the promotion of marksmanship competition for citizens of the United States.

For more information about the CMP and its programs, log onto their website.

comments

1. avatar Wedge259 says:

And cue the “these were bought with taxpayer money so I should get one for free” comments….

1. avatar BLoving says:

Actually, I’d never considered that angle but since you bring it up…
      Given the age of these pistols I’d say my dad is entitled to a free one from his taxes, not mine.
      🤠

2. avatar jwm says:

There shouldn’t be any surplus military rifles or pistols. Every time a service member seperates from service under honorable conditions they should be able to take their personal weapon home with them.

Makes the citizen militia stronger and forces the .gov to keep buying new weapons for the incoming boots.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

My Dad’s “personal weapon” in the Air Force was a KC-97 Stratotanker. It would have been cool to own but I doubt if he could afford the mainenance.

1. avatar jwm says:

I’ll bet your dad had a sidearm on that tanker.

2. avatar Hank says:

Now that would be awesome. It would probably encourage soldiers to keep up with a high degree of weapons maintenance as well, considering it would become “theirs”.

3. avatar jwtaylor says:

So it is actually possible, in some cases, to get your old sidearm back, assuming it is legal in your state. You’ll need your last hand receipt, as well as the specific armory it went to, and you really need to physically locate it. That means you need to know the armorer.
        Then you have to get the armorer has send it to the manufacturer for maintenance or replacement, who has to have already agreed to replace the firearm one for one on their contract. The manufacturer can then refurbish the gun and sell it to you, through their normal service chain.
        This is all completely legal and within the company’s contract with the service branch, but as you can imagine, not easy. You have to know everyone in that chain of custody, and they all have to be willing to do extra work for you.
        I have my issued Beretta.

1. avatar Red in CO says:

Huh, that’s cool! Does your Beretta still run reasonably well or did you just go through the effort to have a shootable memento of your service?

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

RedinCo
          I had a completely redone by Wilson Combat. It was one of the first 92s WC did under Ernest Langdon.
          It runs spectacularly well and if I was ever to go back into combat, it’s the first pistol I would take.

2. avatar Chris says:

Oh, these rust buckets again. They’ve been sitting in storage for years, I can’t remember the price they’re asking but it’s costing more in tax dollars to keep them than it is to either donate, sell or recycle.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Check your reading comprehension.

The government is DONATING them to the CMP, a 501(c)(3) organization.

1. avatar Chris says:

Check yours first, troll: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

You need to get a life, not once does it say the word “donate” on here or there.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

What part of this don’t you understand?

“The CMP has been authorized to receive 8,000 1911 type pistols from the United States Army.”

The CMP is not the government. The CMP is a separate organization. DOD gives (donates) surplus guns to the CMP. The CMP sells them at a fair price and uses the revenue to support its programs.

2. avatar Ragnarredbeard says:

Its not a “donation”. Its a transfer of assets. CMP has to pay for transport and storage.

2. avatar Hank says:

You need to go smoke a cigarette or something. There’s no rational reason that this issue should enrage you this much… unless you’re a gun grabbing liberal, that is…

3. avatar Jerry Barbour says:

In need of a Sub Compact or Small Compact for carry. Narrowed my list down to two I really like. They are the FNH FNS9c and the HK VP9SK! Would appreciate all the advice I can get to lean me to one over the other! Only been shooting for a short time so I want to learn fast and limit disappointments. Like everyone else so want accuracy and reliability. Thanks.

1. avatar BLoving says:

(wonders why this question was asked on this thread…)
      Well, if you’ve definitely boiled it down to those two you could safely flip a coin and do just fine – I’d lean towards the VP only because it’s a Heckler and Koch and for no other technical reason.
      Just to throw another variable at you to make your decision more complicated (😁), go check out a Ruger SR9c and get back to us.
      🤠

1. avatar Jeff K says:

Really do check out the SR9C, you will probably pick it.

2. avatar Aaron says:

Haven’t shot the VPN but the quality of my HK45CT is flawless. It is an amazing piece of hardware and definitely my favorite.

3. avatar tiger says:

Well of the two, I’ll say the FNS. You might mind holster choices a bit narrow due to the volume of those models. There are other choices in that size. It comes down to price & styling after a point.

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I’m guessing 8,000 pistols won’t last long.

1. avatar Chris says:

If their customers are as illiterate and obnoxious as you, yeah probably not.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Having a rough day, Chris?
        Maybe you could use some ballistic therapy. Shooting is a great stress reliever.
        Maybe check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. http://thecmp.org/
        They provide training and shooting opportunities.

I hope the rest of your day goes better.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Whatever the smirk emoji is, this is where it goes.

2. avatar Hank says:

What in gods name are you so bitter about? That someone wants to buy a gun you don’t like? Doesn’t it seem a little silly to get this worked up about this topic?

5. avatar James Ivy says:

Why did I think there were stipulations on who can buy these? I thought I read it somewhere? Anyway anyone want to buy a kidney in semi pristine condition ; )

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

Just search for Civilian Marksmanship Program 1911. You’ll find all the restrictions. I don’t want some filthy kidney (note: all organs, no matter how pristine, are filthy).

6. avatar mykque says:

Just as interesting to me, CMP also received another 100,000 M-1 Garands this month. 86,000 from The Philippines and another 15,000 from Turkey. That will ease up on pressure on those for a while. To buy a gun from them, you have to be a member of a CMP affiliated club. The full list of requirements is on their website. As far as price, CMP doesn’t really overcharge so they will probably be asking what you would expect to pay for a beat-up, collectable 1911a1

7. avatar cisco kid says:

The Stupidity of the “Unwashed” is infinite. Wave a the religious icon of the Flag under their noses and they either volunteer to get their heads blown off or give you all of their hard earned money for a worn out piece of crap that should have been melted down for scrap iron over half a century ago. The CMP (Criminal Modern Predators) must be banking on the idea that Neanderthal Man is really not extinct (at least not in Hillbilly America).

The real facts are the greed mongers at the CPM eager to rape everyone one of every last penny they can steal from you have just admitted the guns will not go directly to the public because they are in no shape to even work or in some cases be safely fired as they are actually in that bad of shape but they expect us to pay $1,000 and up for this scrap iron.

When you rebuild a collectors item with cheap ass cast iron parts and then add insult to injury and refinish these clunkers and claim they are collectors items just to make a fast sale to people who have more money than brains they deserve to be ripped off because if the CPM does not rob them someone else will.

When you can buy a modern 1911 built with better harder steel and built to much closer tolerances than the soft steel rattle trap workmanship of the original 1911 pistols for often not much more than $350 bucks only a retarded munchkin like Jeff Sessions would consider such a deal gone wrong even before the sale. But when was the average gun owner ever noted for having any grey matter between his ears?

I think if the greed monger charlatan gangster criminals of the CPM end up sitting on their scrap iron long enough you just may see the price drop to somewhat reasonable levels i.e. $200 bucks the average scrapper to $400 for one that looks half decent without being refinished and rebuilt with modern cast iron parts (if there even are such guns still in half decent shape).

Lets face facts the younger generation wants high tech, high capacity plasticky and stamped sheet metal pistols and with pistol prices at rock bottom now on the plasticky imports paying $1,000 dollars for WWII scrap iron will send the younger and smarter generation into fits of hysterical laughter . The 1911 is not even in their vocabulary and the old and dying Grey Beards have already collected their share of “real original” 1911’s decades ago and are not dumb enough to be raped out of at least $1,000 over a rebuilt parts gun. What an obscene joke.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

A few of those “Grey Beards” will buy up all 8000 of these M1911s as well as all 100,000 of those Garands as soon as they come up for sale, and then they’ll either sit on them or put them on gunbroker for twice what they got them for.

2. avatar Hank says:

They let you on the computer again? Someone should tell the orderly your unsupervised online again. And that you haven’t been taking your meds.

3. avatar Wedge259 says:

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Id like to see your sources that say they’ll be putting “cast iron” parts in these. And Moose thats actually probably unlikely to happen with the 1911’s, fortunately. Theyre selling them with a lottery system and you can only buy one per year. I’m sure some will immediately try to flip theirs for twice what they paid for it, but it shouldnt be nearly as bad as the Garand situation since the 1911’s cant be bought In quantity.

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Huh.
      Non-profit org dedicated to firearms education and marksmanship training wants to sell a few guns, donated to them by the government, to generate revenue for its programs.

Price on the 1911s yet to be determined.

And apparently, Crisco boy is not happy about that. Nope, not happy at all!

1. avatar jwm says:

Cisco is bought and paid for like shannon.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Pretty sure “xe’s” the same person.

5. avatar Shallnot BeInfringed says:

“retarded munchkin”. Now that’s priceless!

Crisco Joke should seriously consider changing his moniker to this. It is utterly fitting (not to mention hilarious), especially since he coined the phrase himself!

6. avatar tiger says:

While I agree in the overall view, the messaging is a bit harsh.

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I think I’d like to get one of these.
    It’ll go nicely with my Garand and Carbine.

9. avatar cisco kid says:

I might add that originally the DCM was created to get new or young shooters into the shooting sports by making low cost surplus arms avaible to them. Now fast forward to the newly crated greed monger CMP (Criminal Modern Parasites) that have destroyed the original intent of the program in order to rape everyone of every last penny they can get making an obscene mockery of the intent of the original program but then again how many gun owners know anything about even their own country’s history. Obviously not many as they keep getting robbed by these parasites.

1. avatar Hank says:

You bring up rape a lot. Is there a reason for that, crisco?

1. avatar jwm says:

#HisStoryToo.

10. avatar Hank says:

What’s hilarious is that glock/9mm fanbois are so rabidly insane, that they lose their shit and have an epic liberal meltdown anytime someone they don’t even know, chooses to buy a gun that’s not a glock or a 9mm. It’s like their whole identity goes into crisis mode when someone does something that doesn’t reinforce their choices in life. You know what that’s called? I don’t either. Probably a mental disorder similar to liberalism that’s a combination of Low self esteem, depression, narcissism, and entitlement.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

The crazy is strong on the interwebz today.
      You’d think we were having a full super red moon or something.

11. avatar Jay in Florida says:

It doesn’t matter what they charge how many are available or what condition they are in
    I can’t buy one . There isn’t an affiliated anything CMP related within almost 1000 miles of me. We here in So Florida get screwed!!!!!! Unfair as I want one.

1. avatar Wedge259 says:

There are several organizations you can join no matter where you are that will give you eligibility. Look into the Garand Collectors Association, they’re probably the most popular for people in your situation. Think its $25 to join.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Garand Collectors Association. $25, and in a week or so you get a membership card. Plus their magazine once a quarter is pretty cool if you are interested in Garands.

I’ll be on the list for a 1911, as long as the price doesn’t turn out to be ridiculous.

3. avatar Ragnarredbeard says:

You should be checking the requirements on the CMP website. You don’t have to travel 1000 miles – or even one mile – to be in a CMP affiliated organization.

12. avatar GS650G says:

1911 is a gun I’m not interested in. I’ve never really liked the ones I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot.

1. avatar jwm says:

Agreed. I’ve been around them a lot. Just can’t get excited by them.

If I was to want a 1911 style gun it would be the Browning Hi Power. But my ardor for those has cooled some since my youth.

I like my Mak. A lot. But I’d rather have a revolver.

1. avatar RCC says:

JWM
        I hired a Browning Hi Power at range outside San Diego for old times sake last year. It was the first pistol I fired in the army. Good fun but I prefer my Tanfoglio for every day use.

1. avatar jwm says:

Yep. The CZ75/Tangfolio guns are everything the Hi Power is and more.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I’d like one. They’re iconic. Do I want one enough to buy one? Not so far.

13. avatar Hank Hill says:

Those evil soul killing weapons of war will stain the streets with blood.

1. avatar Hank says:

And semen!

1. avatar Joel IV says:

That escalated quickly.

14. avatar sound awake says:

yay now we can start putting 16.5″ barrels and rifle stocks on them

15. avatar Hannibal says:

My (service grade) Garand is already en route as I type this. I wouldn’t mind another piece of history, if the price is good.

16. avatar ironicatbest says:

I like my 1911 a lot, it’s a much better boat anchor then a Gock, and prerusted to boot, yah can’t beat that

17. avatar tiger says:

$1000 for some Remington Rand of 70 years ago with all it’s flaws? Pass. That US property stamp is not worth that much to me.

18. avatar Alo says:

I’m not bothered by pricing as they haven’t released pricing. I am bothered that I can’t transfer one in on my C&R.

19. avatar Holdfast says:

1. Why does the Army get a vote on how CMP stores the weapons after they’re transferred to CMP?
    2. Is this a case of the Army trying to make sure no one robs CMP of 8,000 pistols? Is this telling us CMP doesn’t have adequate security on their current buildings?

As someone who “owned” multiple arms rooms while in the Army, this just sounds odd to me.