A School Snow Day Proves Lucky for Two Young Mississippi Hunters

“Recent snow and ice in Mississippi have caused headaches for many across the state this week, but for two brothers from Batesville, the icy accumulation turned into pure gold,” clarionledger.com reports. Hang on. Why is it that when I play hooky from work to go hunting I end up with nothing? Not fair!

“We sat there for a couple of hours and the deer came out where I’d seen him Friday,” Christon said. “He was about 250 yards and we got excited.”

Christon said his son M.J. was focused on the buck’s antlers and getting nervous, so he talked with his son to calm him as the deer came closer.

“He was steady coming in,” Christon said. “He got to about 120 yards and presented a shot. M.J. took the shot and the deer ran about 30 yards and fell over.” . . .

M.J. had a beast on the ground, but Tyler wanted to continue hunting . . .

The three got back in their stand and it wasn’t long before the action resumed.

“At about 5 o’clock we had several more deer come out south of us at about 300 yards,” Christon said. “The cold weather kept them moving. We just had a pile of deer coming out.”

Minutes later, a big 10-point came into the field from the same direction as the others they were watching. It made its way closer and Tyler fired. The shot was a miss, but the buck appeared unsure of where the shot came from, ran 60 yards closer and stopped.

“Tyler took another shot and got him,” Christon said. “Everything worked out perfect.”

Teach em’ young. Get them addicted to hunting before they can get addicted to video games. Dress warmly. Stay hydrated. That is all.

1. avatar FedUp says:

But…but…hunting is for OFWGs…(/sarcasm)

Kudos to these two. Those are two nice bucks.

2. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The white Christian republicans who have sex in the missionary position with the lights out are not afraid of this picture.

But the white socialist progressive, the white democrat are very afraid of this picture. The public school system has failed to teach these kids guns are bad.
    I personally know there are many more out there who hunt.

1. avatar Art out West says:

I noticed that these two fine young men have a FATHER.

Father’s make all the difference.

God bless their family.

Also Mississippi is a far better place to grow up than Chicago. 😊

2. avatar Mikey In Ohio says:

Re: Chris T from KY-I’m a Black Liberal Socialist Democrat and I agree with you 100 percent. Self-sufficiency and self defense should be values instilled in ALL Americans, not just those outside the support system of the big cities, and more people need to recognize that. Also, the bacon is better when you hunt the boar yourself!

One of these days I’m gonna get me a blueberry-and-honey stuffed black bear, and have the most glorious burger ever. Found a spot in PA that pays top dollar for responsibly hunted exotic meat!

Re: Art Out West-I’m not gonna preach and I don’t mean to assume, but the Black father is much less of a myth than people think despite the fact that most women take primary custody in co-parenting relationships, and Chicago is a wonderful city with a rich culture that I would gladly lice in if I wasn’t already in love with Northern Ohio! You should visit sometime, people are never as bad as you think(and if they are, well, we’ll be ready!)

3. avatar Bcb says:

Don’t politicize it the other way either guys. Geez.

That is so cool they both got to get nice ones on the same hunt.They are officially hooked I bet.

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

That picture right there should make some liberal heads explode.

Has dad started a gofundme page for his taxidermy bill? ‘Cuz you know both boys are pleading to get those things mounted.

1. avatar BLoving says:

Go with a European style mount. Cheaper, and I’ve always thought it just a bit classier.
      Good for these two boys – I’d love to see the bigot’s emotional meltdowns when they put these pictures on their social media pages.
      Now they just need to bring their little sister along next season.

2. avatar Huntmaster says:

If R. Farago will take up the collection and send the money I’ll kick in a $50.

5. avatar jwm says:

Color me jealous.

I’ve never seen a buck that good here in CA.

6. avatar John in IN says:

Those are some well deserved big grins right there. Well done young men!

7. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Wow, that was fantastic.

I doubt that I will ever see bucks with racks like that, much less shoot one. Hunting in my state pretty much sucks if you want large white-tailed deer with large racks. We have lots of small white-tailed deer though.

1. avatar troutbum5 says:

There was a big 5×5 muley eating what was left of the flowers in my neighbor’s yard one night last week. I stepped out to see what my dog was going bonkers at, and he just looked up at me like I was disturbing him.

8. avatar ATFAgentBob says:

those are some real nice bucks. Maybe I need to start calling in to work more often to go jump in a stand.

9. avatar Excedrine says:

10. avatar When Bullets Collide says:

11. avatar Dog of War says:

Holy crap. I lived in Batesville for about a decade, I can count on one hand the number of times we had snow in that time.

But hey, good on these two kids for bagging those bucks.

12. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Well done. It would be well done if they’d put only one of those two bucks on the ground in one day. To get both of them?

13. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Those smiles tell it all.

14. avatar ironicatbest says:

Them kids had a hell of a good hunt. I’d bet they’re hoping for snow next year.Im happy for them

15. avatar Kountryboy says:

Congratulations! Now that’s a snow day well spent!

16. avatar Removed_californian says:

Interesting photo.

Congratulations to the two hunters. Looks like they did pretty good.

17. avatar Kevin says:

Well done, guys! Awesome bucks!

18. avatar adverse5 says:

When I was a kid in Mississippi, Dad took me deer hunting, I found a spot out of the wind and went to sleep. No way was I going to take a shot at a deer. Quail and dove were my game of choice. The kids look happy, had to be a couple of good shots too.

19. avatar K2 says:

What an awesome memory to have as brothers. Too cool.

20. avatar MLee says:

Both great looking boys with an excellent positive experience. If the chance presents itself to break bad, they will have an example of the good life to draw upon. Do I do this bad thing or do I want to go hunting again?
    Many times, getting along in life is simply saying yes and no at the right times.

21. avatar Walt Longmire says:

22. avatar MisterFurious says:

That’s impressive; I thought Mississippi deer were tiny…

23. avatar ComfortablyNumb says:

Nice work, boys!

24. avatar troutbum5 says:

This is second only to a new picture of my granddaughter as the best thing I’ve seen today. Congratulations, boys. And dad. Well done.

25. avatar Jamie in North Dakota says:

That’s called raising them right. Nice bucks for those two young fellers!

26. avatar mrbadnews says:

That’s a couple of proud young men, right there. I might finish my life with out a hunting story as good as theirs. Just Great!!!

27. avatar Kevin Brittingham says:

Awesome! Great story and experience.