Estonian Dog Shoots Russian Hunter, Motives Unclear

Dogs are man’s best friend. Except when they’re not. As shocking as it may seem, it’s not that uncommon for a dog to shoot its owner. Why do they do it? Who knows what evil lies in the heart of our canine companions? Maybe it’s payback, pure and simple. sun.co,uk:

Sergey Terekhov, 53, had let his two dogs out of his Lada car to run before a hunting expedition in Russia’s Saratov region . . .

One of the friendly animals suddenly bounded up to him. But while doing so the canine clawed the trigger of his loaded TOZ-34 hunting rifle. The bullet hit Terekhov in the abdomen and the man collapsed on the frozen ground. An ambulance was called immediately but he died on the way to hospital.

Not so friendly now, eh Mr. Terekhov?

The dog – not named – was an Estonian Hound. The breed is known for a balanced, calm and active temperament – and high intelligence. It loves loves human attention and gets upset if left alone.

Read between the lines people. An unnamed dog craving human attention left alone for hours maybe days at a time. Weeks? Lots of time. Time to think . . .

It was originally bred in Soviet times when the Communist authorities in Moscow ordered that every republic in the USSR must have its own breed.

The plot thickens! Was the dog really a Communist mole in disguise?

Dog owners — hunters with dogs especially — think twice about how you react to a mess on the carpet or a four-legged friend pining for attention.

That is all. I’m not even going to tell you Jon Wayne Taylor’s theory . . .

comments

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Perhaps it wanted better snacks?

1. avatar Rattlerjake says:

Yep, and that’s what happens when you teach your dog to shoot!

2. avatar The Rookie says:

The dog would later go missing, after reportedly seeking to collect payment from a shadowy figure known only as “Mr. Fluffy.”

It’s always better with no witnesses….

3. avatar Alex Waits says:

The dog was KGB, innocently executing his mission.. nothing to see here.. move along..

4. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Estonian Hound or Capitalist Dog?

5. avatar jwm says:

I’d be pissed if someone hauled me around in a Lada.

1. avatar MyName says:

My first thought: Who takes a Lada hunting?

1. avatar Rattlerjake says:

Maybe there was a “Lada” room for the dogs.

6. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Best I can tell, the TOZ-34 is an O/U shotgun, not a rifle. Apparently Russia’s “journalists” are just as good as their American counterparts.

In what inconceivable and insanely stupid way could you possibly be carrying an O/U shotgun (or a rifle for that matter), such that it shoots you in the gut when your dog hits the trigger?

1. avatar Felix says:

I imagine that if a dog’s “clawing” can pull the trigger, it can also reposition the gun itself. Still should not have been loaded.

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Per the NYTimes article (Thanks, BobS), “The gun was on his knee, butt down, with the barrel pointed at his stomach,” one investigator, Aleksandr Galanin, told a local news outlet, citing a relative who described the events…”

So what we have here is actually a Darwin award nomination. It has nothing to do with dogs, guns or Russia. It has everything to do with stupid.

3. avatar Defens says:

I suppose that all guns should now be tested for “dog safe” as well as drop safe. Paging Honor Guard to the white courtesy telephone.

4. avatar Bree says:

From my understanding of Cyrillic and Russia, rifle essentially the same as our longarm.

7. avatar pieslapper says:

Estonians hate Russians?

1. avatar JasonM says:

As do Finns, Latvians, Lithuanians, Poles, Ukrainians, Cossacks, Georgians (both the American and Asian varieties), Armenians, Azerbaijanis, … Really, I think it’d just be easier to list the people who like Russians: the Clintons.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Clintons don’t like Russia, at least not as of 2015-2016. I’m not sure about Armenians hating Russians. I thought the Russians helped them against the Azerbaijanis and the Turks.

2. avatar anonymoose says:

They certainly do. They tried to get rid of a Soviet WWII memorial and there was an uproar in both countries.

It seems that dogs and snowflakes are both easily triggered.

9. avatar Imayeti says:

The dog is a CIA mole.

10. avatar BobS says:

The TOZ-34 is a double-barrel shotgun http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/production/detail.php?ID=71
    That Brit news outlet is the only one that called it a rifle, while including several photos of shotguns. It also cited his age differently than all the others.

Another Brit news outlet got the firearm type right.

The NYTimes reliably inserts their gun control editorial content, though with an amusing ironic twist at the end.

TIME was rather brief.

The guy violated Rule #2 “Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy” and, alas, suffered the consequences.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

“[Discussion of Russian gun laws and gun control debate]. … General Zolotov did not mention the dangers of hunting dogs.”

11. avatar Mack Bolan says:

How exactly does the guy have to be holding that shotty to take a hit to the abdomen with a dog pulling the trigger?

It seems almost impossible, unless vodka were involved…and even then.

1. avatar MyName says:

My guess? Butt of the shotgun resting on or near the toe of his boot, muzzle at about belt height leaning against him while he reaches for some other piece of gear from the car. Complete speculation on my part, of course, but that would put the trigger in ‘dog pawing at the legs’ range and the muzzle at ‘shot in the abdomen’ position.

Edit: I see that strych9 has a similar theory, immediately below.

12. avatar strych9 says:

It almost sounds as though he had the rifle standing with the stock on the ground when this happened. Other than that I can’t think of how he got shot in the abdomen.

Plotts, of which I have a few, are similar in their behavior. I’m always careful with long guns around them because those dogs have some darn large, well knuckled and dexterous toes that can easily get inside a trigger guard. My dogs don’t jump on me or other people but I’m always on guard for the possibility that they forget their training since they’re a someone excitable breed.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

None of my business, but what do you use your Plott hounds for? We had a couple years ago for coon hunting. They were good dogs

1. avatar strych9 says:

I don’t hunt them. They’re basically security. They’re territorial but smart enough to ignore when my neighbors walk out to their car or something.

Last time a few miscreants were in my driveway (looking at breaking into my wife’s truck) I checked the security cameras when the dogs went apeshit. Then I just opened a window and yelled “You can’t outrun these dogs and I’m opening the door in five seconds!”

Plotts, as I’m sure you well know, are LOUD (Our GSD is pretty quiet, just waits to be let loose). Those kids probably thought I was about to release a dozen wolves or something. They skedaddled and our neighborhood hasn’t seen the likes of them since.

Other than that, they’re just pets for the most part. They do a great job of security at campsites too though! Their methods are odd but it gets the job done.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

Most people don’t think of hunting dogs ass guard dogs. I had a Walker that was a real terror, lol a friend and I were hunting, heard him treeing, ” well ole Sam’s got one treed, probably in that old barn” , we ran there and it was my friends dad in a pickup checking on us, the dog wouldn’t let him out of the truck. Chin says,” I’d shoot that damned dog” . My how times have changed, everybody knew everybody locally, knew their dogs, horses, and cattle

2. avatar strych9 says:

No, most people don’t think of them that way which has it’s pros and it’s cons.

The plus side for Plotts is that there are no breed restrictions on them because no one knows what they are. They can however be downright vicious, especially in a group. Add in a few GSD’s or Pinschers or whatnot and you’ve got a little four-legged army.

OTOH, due to the oddball way Plotts have been bread over the years there’s some pretty significant variation to the ears (and other parts of the dog like the tail). I have one that has much shorter ears that usual (non-standard according to the AKC, think un-altered, still floppy Pinscher ears) and which is a full caramel colored brindle. He’s been mistaken for a Pit mix and for a Rott mix by dumbass cops in places that have breed restrictions and I’ve been hassled over it considerably in the past. Another dog has a black saddle and standard, long floppy Plott ears (but a non-standard tail according to the AKC) so he doesn’t get that problem.

Yeah, times have changed but the fear a group of angry dogs instills in would-be thieves hasn’t!

3. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

You know that breed restrictions are illegal in Texas by state statute?

I’ve had several “dog” cases. Haven’t lost one yet. Always been the owner’s attorney.

13. avatar Fit2BTyed says:

The hunter had bacon in his pocket, so he must have been a closet capitalist.

14. avatar ATFAgentBob says:

Hmm so that’s where my dog ran off to after muttering something about killing a commie for mommy.

15. avatar ironicatbest says:

…I’m not concerned about my dogs shooting me, but this cat I’ve got, hmmmm , It was pawing at my bedside pistol just last evening. Evil little bastard

16. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

Ban the assault dogs! These weapons of the Cold War have no business on our hunting leases.

17. avatar Yacov Shmirnov says:

In Soviet Russia; hunting dog hunts hunter

1. avatar rob says:

Yacov wins the internet today.

2. avatar greymas says:

How was this not the first comment? Young audience I guess

18. avatar JW says:

This is why you need to instruct puppies in the four rules!

or, y’know, learn them yourself 🙂

19. avatar adverse5 says:

Man is supposed to be smarter than the dog. In some cases, not.

20. avatar ProfTomBot says: