New from Cimmaron Firearms: New Revolvers, Pocket .380ACP

Texas-based Cimarron Firearms has released some beautiful new pistols for 2018.

Cimmaron Wild Bill Conversion (photo courtesy of JWT for

The Wild Bill 1851 Conversion above comes in .38 Special, while the Buffalo Bill Conversion is chambered in the traditional .44-40.  Both revolvers evoke Fats Domino’s My Blue Heaven, bedecked in a surfeit of machined engraving.

Cimmaron Buffalo Bill Conversion (photo courtesy of JWT for

In the neat but why column: Cimarron’s Pocket Navy Conversion Revolver in .380ACP. Answering my own question, if you’re going to convert the legendary wheelgun from percussion to center fire, why not just go ahead and use a round you can actually find? Not a bad idea after all.

1. avatar jwm says:

I’ve always liked the look of the open topped colts. I put these in the category of cool range toys.

Now watch someone put wanker rails on them.

1. avatar BLoving says:

Hand one to Industrial Lighting and Magic and tell them to turn it into a Star Wars prop blaster… that should offend/delight a few people.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

It’ll be used by Django Fett in Episode 9.

1. avatar James69 says:

Epic Win!

2. avatar DaveP says:

The low-end ones (and the Remington clones) are so inexpensive people have been pulling all kinds of funky mods on them. I love the Remington bellyguns (cut down to a 3″ barrel, butt rounded to a birdshead configuration, conversion cylinder for .45 Long cowboy loads if you’ve got a steel frame) and the best thing is you can do all the work yourself, no professional gunsmith time needed.

2. avatar strych9 says:

I like the engraving.

1. avatar Just Sayin says:

Like the engraving, love the case hardened look.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

I bought their recently introduced engraved 1851 Navy with checkered grips for myself for Christmas. There is no color case hardening on the frame due to the engraving, but it is lavishly engraved on the frame, barrel, and the underside of the trigger guard.

This is one of the best fitted Pietta out of the box that I have purchased. The smoothing and polishing on internals was minimal, and the cam and the locks are sized correctly. I have had several where the cam did not quite fit into the locks and had to be corrected, and the cam dwell was too long, leaving that tell-tale streak on the cylinder. No such issue with this one.

3. avatar Smith Wesson says:

I like the .380 acp

4. avatar Mark N. says:

The original 1849 pocket pistol was in .32 cal. It was essentially a belly gun with a very limited effective range. The 1862 Pocket Navy, which is built on the 1849 frame with the same type of modification as between the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army, was substantially better, a full .36 cal, but only five shots and a lower powder capacity than the 1861 Navy. The 1861 (and 1851 for that matter) Navy conversions were the first Colt .38 cal revolvers. Therefore it is entirely appropriate that the smaller 1862 Pocket pistol (for which no conversion cylinder was ever made) be chambered in a lesser capacity cartridge such as the .380.

5. avatar Ogre says:

With regard to the Cimarron’s Pocket Navy Conversion Revolver in .380ACP, I’ve been waiting for years for a replica manufacturer to come out with a small conversion pocket gun. They certainly had them in the Old West. For this one, I wish the manufacturer had manufactured them in the original .38 S&W caliber, and that they had put a shell ejector rod on the barrel. Without that, shooters are going to have to disassemble the pistol to knock out the fired cartridge cases. I may still have a gunsmith make me a custom 1862 conversion, although at my age that is not high on my bucket list.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

As the arti le suggests, finding .380 is a lot easier than finding .38 S&W.

6. avatar Southerner says:

380 ACP SAAMI pressure spec: 21,500 psi. That must be the highest pressure cartridge adapted to an open-top revolver yet!

The lack of a loading gate may cause problems unforseen in original cartidge conversions. Most original gateless conversions were chambered for cartridges that used externally lubed bullets. These usually prevented a cartridge from backing out and jamming the revolver during cylinder advance.

1. avatar Pete says:

I hope the design of the insert behind the cylinder takes care of these issues.

7. avatar Joe says:

I too have been waiting for a colt pocket cartridge gun. But 380 ? The only logical cal. is 38 LC . It is the same as the original 38 rimfire. and many shooters already load it. I may buy one and ream the chambers or build my own.