New for 2018: Les Baer Premier II 5″ in 10mm

Showing us all a little 10mm love, Les Baer has released their Premier II 5″ in the almost magnum automatic.

Les Baer 10mm feed ramp (photo courtesy of JWT for

The 10mm Premier II features a fully supported chamber at the back of the the 5″ stainless steel barrel and a green fiber optic front sight.

Les Baer 10mm front sight (photo courtesy of JWT for

Les Baer is guaranteeing 3″ accuracy at 50 yards.  I’m looking forward to the review on this one.

MSRP at $2,940

1. avatar Madcapp says:

2. avatar Michael says:

Wow a 10mm 1911, who would have thought?

3. avatar Texican says:

It’s the year of the 10mm! Need more pistols and PCCS chambered in it!

4. avatar Setarip says:

For $3k the finish looks rather bland. The blue looks cheap, and there is not any feature that stands out above a standard 1911. In fact, the more I look at it, the more that bluing just looks bad.

1. avatar Wade says:

I`ll have to agree. Paying 3 grand for a pistol that looks so second hand….not going to happen. I`m a huge 10mm fan,but paying that much to look so cheap…

5. avatar Conservatarian says:

I like the 10mm Ruger SR1911 better, and its price too.

6. avatar little horn says:

must be hard being in the firearms business these days. constantly trying to come up with something that will create a hype and yet they are mostly flops. mostly.

7. avatar The Rookie says:

I’d like to see a 10MM version of the Beretta PX4. It would be interesting to see how well the rotating barrel design tames the recoil of the 10.

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Would the Grand Power P40 in 10mm do it for you? It has a rotating barrel.

I’ve only heard of them, never shot one so I don’t know what it’s like to shoot.

8. avatar BlazinTheAmazin says:

I’m not even claiming I can shoot this good, but for 3 grand I would expect a lil better than 6 MOA… maybe JWT can tell me why that is unreasonable.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

Not until I actually review it.

1. avatar BlazinTheAmazin says:

Definitely looking forward to that as always, your gun reviews are some of the best on the site. How big are your groups with your most accurate 1911 on a good day?

1. avatar Jwtaylor says:

My high bar is the Bill’s Custom Automatics 1911 that shot 3/4″ 5 round groups at 25 yards off a bag with inexpensive ammo.
          That pistol is $6k. Worth every penny.
          Next to that is my Wilson Combat Tactical LE shooting 1″ at 25 yards. 3k
          My stock Colt series 70 shoots 3″ groups at 25 and my stock Colt Combat Elite shoots 2 1/2. Those are both under 1k.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

When S&W worked with the AMU to create the Model 52 semi-auto pistol for AMU’s pistol team, the standard of performance for the pistol & ammo was to hold a 2″ group or less at 50 yards.

This took hand-tuning of the pistols on the part of S&W. Any S&W Model 52 that didn’t meet this spec was returned to the ‘smiths in the final part of the line for debugging and correction.

Generally, getting a semi-auto pistol to hold a group of 2″ or less from a rest is a fair accomplishment. Consider this: The NRA slow-fire bullseye pistol target for 50 yards has a X-ring diameter of 1.695 inches, and a 10-ring diameter of 3.36 inches.

So take this for what you will: a semi-auto pistol that can throw down a group of 2″ to 2.5″ at 50 yards is pretty darn precise; enough so that if you can do your part, you’re going to win bullseye matches. Guaranteeing 3″ at 50 yards? That’s within the bounds of my BS detector for a 10mm pistol, which isn’t a round used in the competitive shooting world enough to have pet loads developed for group size.

9. avatar IAmNotTheHulk says:

I can do that with my Gen1 Colt DE in its stock form…

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

That would be far from the norm with that pistol.

10. avatar Alan Esworthy says:

Show me one without a comma in the price, please.

11. avatar James says:

3″ accuracy at 50 yards? Doesn’t pretty much any gun these days ant any price point do that?

1. avatar Setarip says:

Pretty much. I’m looking at the HK VP9 and I have seen lots of reviews demonstrating exceptional accuracy with that pistol. One guy even claims to have achieved sub 2” 50 yards groups.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

No. Absolutely not. Not of the guns I review, and I review a lot of guns.

3. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Ah, no.

12. avatar ZachN says:

OR you could buy 3 Rock Island Ultra FS HC 10mm, spare mags, and plenty of ammo.

But you know. You can pay for the name if you like.

1. avatar jim says:

how loose is the fit on that rock island with that high powered ammo

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

I have now shot quite a few RIA guns. I really like some of them, but they do not come close to the precision promised by this gun.