2018 New Products From Dan Wesson

Dan Wesson 50th

That’s 2018 the year, to be clear, not that Dan Wesson‘s releasing 2,018 new products. We’ve already covered CZ-USA’s new stuff, so now it’s DW’s turn.

The DW 50th Anniversary Limited Edition “is an all-stainless gun finished in a high polish nitride to resemble a high quality blue.” But it should be significantly more durable. Cool. It’s also engraved on the frame and slide and sports a set of ivory-look G10 grips with DW logo medallions. The grip safety has an gold inlaid “DW” and the recoil spring plug a “50th.” A brass bead front sight rounds it out. MSRP is $2,999.

Dan Wesson’s Vigil series lowers the cost of entry into the DW line without sacrificing quality. For instance, there are still zero MIM parts here. Four variants — CCO, Commander, Government, and Government Suppressor-Ready — all have aluminum frames and stainless slides with DW’s Black Duty finish. All have a tritium front sight, serrated rear, and cocobolo grips and are available in 9mm or .45 ACP. Cost is $1,298 for all but the Suppressor-Ready, which is $1,397.

Okay, the Wraith gets two photos because I think it looks badass. Suppressor-Ready, government-size, and all stainless with a Distressed Duty finish. It’s available in 9mm, .45 ACP, and 10mm Auto. The two boring calibers are $2,077, and the 10mm will run you $2,375 because they know it’s the one everyone really wants anyway.

I reviewed the full-size Discretion. I loved the Discretion. Now Dan Wesson is making a Commander-sized flavor, which is a nice idea for a suppressor host since the can adds plenty of length of its own. Available in 9mm or .45 for $2,142. (which is good, because $2,147 would seem a bit random and definitely too much)

The DW ECO will be available with an OD Green frame and black grips in 9mm or .45 ACP. MSRP is $1,662.

Dan Wesson’s A2 was a big hit last year with its blued finish. It’s DW’s vision of what a third generation M1911 would have been. For 2018, they’re offering it old school Parkerized in both government and commander sizes. MSRP is $1,363.

In the past, DW’s Pointman has been a limited-production offering. For 2018, it still is so if you want one you better get on it, because they rarely make enough. MSRP is $1,597.

Featuring our serrated rib on top of the forged slide, it has an adjustable target sight in the rear and fiber optic sight in the front, and front and rear cocking serrations. The frame is forged stainless with an undercut triggerguard and 25-LPI frontstrap checkering. The flats are polished to a soft brushed finish, and the rounds are sandblasted for a nice contrast. Double diamond cocobolo grips finish it off.

DW’s CCO-sized Pointman Carry will be available this year in 9mm as before, but .45 ACP and .38 Super are now being added to the mix. MSRP is also $1,597.

Finally, the Specialist is an accessory-railed, more Operator-y version of the Valor. And, now, DW is making a Distressed version so it looks like it may have actually done some operational Operating. In fact, it’s a hand-weathered version of their Duty finish. It’ll be available in full-size and commander for $2,012.

comments

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

That 50th edition sure is a pretty pistol, if it had some gold on the engraving it would be beautiful. My thots anyway

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Good call on the gold inlay. Against that dep blue, it would really pop.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

Eh, not a fan of gold inlay. I really like this one exactly the way it is. And I’ll be sure to buy one when I win the Lotto.

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

DW is a puzzlement to me. Like with Browning shotguns, why should I be paying premium for and American name on a foreign-built product? I don’t buy Bell and Howell lanterns and flashlights, either.

Are DW firearms really worth the coin?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Where are they built?

And by that I mean, where do you think they’re built? They’re owned by CZ-USA, but are they not still built in Norwich, NY?

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Browning in Belgium (unless fabricated elsewhere and finished in Belgium). DW in Checko-soviet (allegedly an ally of the West). From what I have seen, the Bell and Howell lanterns/flashlights are Chinese origin.

2. avatar sean says:

One, the guns are made in Norwich, New York. The parent company is CZ USA. Which is owned by CZ.
      And the guns are worth every penny. Every bit as good as Wilson, Les Baer. For much less money.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

I should have looked-up the production location. It seems we have a foreign-owned/controlled company manufacturing in the U.S. Not sure using a U.S. legacy brand name actually makes Dan Wesson firearms American products. But maybe.

Guess I am the worst person to have an opinion about country of origin because I could never justify paying $1000+ for a self-defense tool that is not more reliable for the purpose than others available at much less cost.

1. avatar VerendusAudeo says:

Fun fact: Toyota uses more US sourced parts than Ford does on some models.

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

CZ-USA own DW and does DW’s marketing and distribution but nothing else AFAIK. Dan Wesson in NY has its own production, engineering, design, customer service + warranty, custom shop, etc etc.

3. avatar Sam I Am says:

Then DW is a foreign-owned product, produced in the US. Like iPhones are foreign-made products for an American company.

But I reckon all this is a bit ironic in that I bought a Beretta Neos !

Proud to be consistently inconsistent.
          (But that means I am consistent. Rats.)

3. avatar Dave says:

DWs are built in Norwich, NY. They seem to be pretty separate from the rest of CZ-USA, with separate customer service and their own manufacturing. IMO, their quality is outstanding, especially for the price.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Guess I need to move beyond .22 plinkers to understand why it is good to have a thousand dollar handgun.

3. avatar Hank says:

Looks very Patton-esque. Those are ivory handles. Only a pimp in a new orleans whore house have pearl grips on his revolver.

4. avatar Jason says:

Beautiful guns. I like the Wraith one. I like how these pistols are $4k and up. Still a pretty penny, but very justifiable in my eyes. I wouldn’t mind paying $2k for some of their pretty guns.

5. avatar Jay in Florida says:

I for one have never cared where a gun is made. I look for quality and value in my 1911s. Its a tool after all. Not an art work to be looked at. Not in my case anyway.
    DW other then being a marquee name brand. I just don’t get their pricing. Ive shot $2000 and $500 1911s. Most somewhere in between.
    They all make the same 45 acp sized hole. And can easily have a great trigger pull. Which I value over everything else in a 1911.
    I don’t get/see the value in these guns.

1. avatar Bob G says:

You need to lay your hands on one. I also felt the same way. Why should a gun like this cost so much more? I own a specialist now. The quality just eeks out of it. It is as accurate as can be , and it fits superbly all around.

2. avatar MS says:

I agree with Bob G. I have owned Springfields, many Kimbers (many earlier 70’s style), several old and newer Colts. When I bought my first Dan Wesson in 2014, a Valor VBob, and I shot it, it was like 1911 Nirvanna! I got it new on gunbroker for $1350. It shot incredible, and it felt better in my hands than any other 1911 I had shot previously. I let the local range master have a go with it, and he was equally impressed.

I just bought a like-new bronze 10mm Bruin for $1400. The fit and finish on this gun is amazing, none of the other brands I mention come close. If I wanted a hunting handgun, this is certainly a top choice. I really like it much better than the 5″ guns. I’ve taken it out once, and I’m not sure it shoots as well as my VBob, but the recoil is handled very nice with this gun.

6. avatar Mark N. says:

One of thee days, I want an A2 style 1911. The arched mainspring housing has always filled my palm well. This is a very nice looking version I would be happy to own, and is probably more reliable and more accurate than any of the originals that cost just as much..

7. avatar Specialist38 says:

Nice looking Roscoes…but Holy Crap!

Those Liberty Mk IXs are looking good to me and me budget.

8. avatar Mark H says:

And once again, DW puts an ugly stainless barrel bushing on a black duty-coat gun. Why do they keep doing that? Ugh.

However I really like that Vigil CCO. Wonder how much it would cost to have a barrel bushing melonited.

1. avatar AndrewinVA says:

Robar has a $20 minimum charge for their black oxide finish to small parts. Unless you’re in with a local smith, I suspect that most finishes would have similar minimum charges.

2. avatar MS says:

They changed this on the Wraith which has a black hood.

9. avatar Jeffro says:

I just got the A2 Commander. Worth. Every. Penny. Will be getting the PM-C in .45ACP. I am not articulate enough to use all the superlatives that a Dan Wesson deserves. I will be selling the majority of my 1911″s now. I’m ruined for anything less than the quality and accuracy I experienced from the A2.

1. avatar MS says:

I felt the same way when I bought my Dan Wesson VBob in 45 ACP – why do I need any other 1911 in 45 ACP?

I recently picked up a Dan Wesson 6.3″ Bruin in 10mm that has incredible fit, finish and feel. Very soon, I am going to be in the process of scaling down my collection of 1911s, but the Dan Wessons will be keepers.

10. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

Funny that NY STATE is gun friendly for manufacturers…NY CITY…not so much for legal gun owners…

11. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

So it is not like Springfield (Croatia) Armory?
    This is still a legit USA company? All parts made and assembled here?
    Or are the parts made abroad and just assembled here in NY….
    Anyone with the company that can fill us in?

12. avatar raptor jesus says:

Good guns at a sane price for what you get.

13. avatar Al Booth says:

I just don’t get these pre-worn finishes. Reminds me of new jeans with holes already in them. Want that worn finish ? Take a class/actually practice with your gun. In other words, earn it.

14. avatar Paul J says:

I bought the 9mm Discretion commander. It is a thing of beauty. The fit is perfect and so is the finish. I am waiting to get my supressor, but hope to try this soon.
    The gun shoots great with a variety of loads. No regrets