New from Mossberg: Double Stack Magazine Fed 590 Pump Shotgun

Earlier today we talked about Mossberg’s copy of the Ruger Precision Rifle. Now, let’s talk about their copy of Remington’s magazine fed 870 DM.

As announced in the press release (below) the shotgun is exactly what you would expect. They took their existing 590 pump action shotgun and slapped a magazine on the bottom.  What makes this one different and interesting is that they went the extra mile to engineer a double stack magazine for their shotgun, meaning they can cram more rounds into the magazine without it looking like a ridiculous monstrosity. Available in 5, 10, and 20 round capacity, the shotguns come either as a “normal” shotgun or with a factory mounted Picatinny rail on three sides for added tacticool-ness.

PRESSER TIME!

Introducing the Mossberg 590M™ Mag-Fed 12-gauge shotgun, built on Mossberg’s legendary pump-action, tactical platform combined with the world’s first double-stack, 10-round shotgun magazine; with optional 5, 10, 15 and 20-round capacity magazines sold as accessories. The 590M is initially available in two 10-round configurations; ideal for home security, tactical and competitive applications.

Based upon Mossberg’s proven pump-action platform, standard features of the 590M include non-binding twin action bars; positive steel-to-steel lock-up; anti-jam elevator; dual extractors; anodized aluminum receiver drilled and tapped for convenience of adding optics; heavy-walled barrel; convenient cleanout magazine tube; and universally-recognized, ambidextrous top-mounted safety. With the included 10-round magazine, these 12-gauge 2.75-inch pump-actions have a total round capacity of 10+1.

Innovation is at the core of the 590M with the detachable magazine’s uniquely-designed, integral stabilizing ribs which engage the magazine directly to notches engineered into the receiver, ensuring a positive lock-up. The all-steel, heated-treated magazine release button and housing are optimally-positioned in front of the trigger guard for quick, ambidextrous access for unloading and reloading the 590M. The location of the mag release does not interfere with cycling of the action. The well-executed design allows for proper balance, better swing and controlled-manipulation with a full-magazine located at the center of gravity point.

The patented double-stack magazine is constructed with hardened-steel feed lips, over-molded steel shell ramps and an anti-cant, rounded follower to ensure reliable feeding. Other design features include an easy-grip, molded external shell; proprietary self-lubricating polymer magazine body; heavy-duty ASTM-A-228 music-wire magazine spring for prolonged service life; removable floor plate for ease of cleaning; and durable black oxide finish on the steel components. The proprietary double-stack magazine provides greater capacity in less magazine length versus competitor’s single stack magazine. For greater shooting flexibility, 590M magazines are available in 5, 10, 15 and 20-round capacities and are designed for use with 2.75-inch shells only. Transition quickly from a target load, to buckshot, to slugs, to less lethal with the convenience of designated magazines.

590M Mag Fed 10-Round (50205) – This base model includes all of the field-proven features of Mossberg’s pump-action platform with an 18.5-inch, heavy-walled cylinder bore barrel; bead sight; black synthetic stock and forend; matte blue metal finishes; and 10-round, double-stack magazine. MSRP: $721

590M Mag Fed Tri-Rail 10-Round (50206) – For greater versatility, this version features a Tactical Tri-Rail forend with full-length bottom rail and dual side rails for easy attachment of lights and accessories; 18.5-inch heavy-walled barrel with interchangeable ACCU-CHOKE™ choke tube system (cylinder bore tube included); protective heat shield; Ghost-Ring sight; black synthetic stock and forend; matte blue metal finishes; and 10-round, double-stack magazine. MSRP: $801

comments

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Cool.
    At lest the Mossbergs mag well doesn’t look like it was bolted on like Remingtons. The only complaint I have is you can’t load 3″ shells. But then I don’t shoot 3″ shells, but the option would be nice.

1. avatar Sian says:

3″ shells are good for waterfowl but 2.75″ in my opinion is plenty for any social application.

1. avatar Chuck says:

I normally don’t read this stuff as most of you are just obnoxious,sarcastic,opinionated without a clue. I want to appreciate those of you that comment intelligently,don’t insult my intelligence,are actually knowledgeable or took the time to read,to learn before you open your mouth.
        A persons choice is “personal” I prefer at least one semi-automatic for my own reasons and I also have a side by side many no longer purchase preferring over under but for me,the side by side is my choice for some chores. I really like the idea of a mag fed 12 gauge which eliminates the awkward and slow feed by hand.
        Mossberg obviously is not a custom made,top of the line product but it works real well in my experience and is more than enough for whatever purpose.I have owned this brand several times in my life and “never” had a problem. I prefer a semi so,I wish they offered that as well as a pump.
        Cheers”

2. avatar PK says:

Mossberg didn’t really do the work behind that magazine design, that would be Mike Davidson’s (of MD Arms) brain child. I’m glad it’s finally on the market.

1. avatar The Whiff says:

…or the logo on the bottom of the mag could be a clue.

1. avatar MD Arms says:

That is Adaptive Tactical. They were instrumental in this entire platform. They designed the 590M and pushed it to Mossberg. After Mossberg signed on to the idea they refined the shotgun together. While the double stack is our brainchild as PK points out Adaptive came up with their own design for the double stack mags these use with very little help from us. After we had a licensing agreement in place we did provide our files and offered some verbal suggestions but Adaptive basically made their own design of it.

Adaptive Tactical deserves a lot of credit for getting the 590M to market!

3. avatar 33Charlemagne says:

Bad idea for Mossberg just as it is for Remington!

1. avatar How_Terrible says:

Why is it a bad idea?

1. avatar MD Arms says:

It’s not a bad idea. This should have been the standard decades ago at the same time rifles and pistols made the switch to magazines and for the same exact reasons…

4. avatar Andrew Lias says:

Glad to see Mossberg slapped a hunk of rail on the forearm in a location to nicely slice your hand.

1. avatar strych9 says:

It’s probably plastic just like the M590A1. Just mounts a flashlight in a way that it won’t get knocked loose.

Not much chance of cutting you. My wife’s been shooting her 590A1 for years, no gloves, and never had such a problem.

1. avatar MD Arms says:

Need to come up with a way to install a flashlight/laser combo in place of the barrel nut inside the now empty tube and ditch the rails on the handguards all together…

5. avatar BLoving says:

So what’s next from Mossberg? A 464 lever action in our choice of .357, .44, or .45LC? Varying barrel lengths too?
    Anyone from Mossberg listening?
    🤠

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“So what’s next from Mossberg?”

A 20-round mag-fed ‘Shockwave’.

Call it “The new Street-Sweeper”… 🙂

6. avatar J says:

At least they realize mag capacity is one of the reasons to do this. I didn’t get Remington’s lower capacity design.

7. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

If they c an make a double stack box ma gazine for a pu mp 12ga, why can’t anybody make one for a bolt action rif le in maybe .308Win?

1. avatar Johnny B says:

Didn’t Mossberg already do that several years ago with the MVP line? I seem to remember the .223 variant taking AR mags.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Could be. I also noticed that the SR&Co pre cision ri fle c an be had in .308 with a double stack, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Scout. Something that weighs less than 10lbs. I have a Rem. 700 VTR (.308) that I put a Legacy Sports box m ag kit in and it does have a slightly staggered column, but it still sticks out a lot for 10 ro unds. I used to have a Lee-Enfield – they figured out how to do it 120 years ago with a rimmed cartridge no less. The 10rd mags don’t even stick out past the tri gger guard.

2. avatar Komrad says:

Mossberg MVP Patrol .308 is what you’re looking for.

8. avatar MrVigs says:

No pistol grip?

1. avatar Binder says:

Pistol grips on Mossberg shotguns are not the best idea in the world (unless you have long thumbs).

9. avatar jwm says:

I don’t see the need for it.

10. avatar david says:

Why does this thing still have a magazine tube?

1. avatar Binder says:

Because it is a lot cheaper to do it that way then to develop and entirely new slide system. Think of all the new parts. And somehow I don’t think that magazine fed pump guns are really that popular. I do think they should have put in a shorter one, but I don’t know the whole situation with the barrels.

11. avatar Pablo says:

How about we make it semi auto, slap that box mag on, and cut it down to shockwave size?

1. avatar Casey says:

I didn’t realize how much I wanted this until just now.

2. avatar That One Guy says:

Mostly because the dual-handed operation of a pump action is one of the things that keeps the shockwave (and company) from getting into pistol/rifle/shotgun/destructive device/AOW territory.

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Being a pump action is not what is keeping the Shockwave out of trouble.

Standard Manufacturing, the place that makes the DP-12, has a 12 gauge shooting semiauto firearm.

12. avatar Rimfire says:

I’d still take a 7 or 8 shot tube instead, easy to top off on the fly with a side saddle or speed feed type stock. No appendage hanging off the bottom making handling smooth and easy. Can carry at the balance point one handed while opening doors or climbing. I think that this is just a fad and will pass just like the zombie paint jobs did…..hopefully.

And TTAG please no more site redirects, you are as bad as Field and Stream etc.

1. avatar MD Arms says:

This isn’t going anywhere and will in fact take over and absolutely dominate the tactical/defensive shotgun market. I’m also betting that those 7 to 8 in the tube out to the end of the barrel is in no way as balanced as even the 20rd mag back by your one hand opening the door… Unless you meant you use your pumping hand to hold the gun to get the door knob but surely not…

13. If you’re stuck in a situation where six rounds of 12-gauge aren’t enough, then you should have thought twice before visiting Jurassic Park!

1. avatar jwm says:

I don’t care what hollywood says. Sabot slugs from a 12 bore will get you thru jurassic world just fine.

2. avatar adverse5 says:

Or not made that wrong turn.

1. avatar Psychlone Ranger says:

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

14. avatar ironicatbest says:

These appear to be for defensive use. When seconds count, I wouldn’t want that box catching on something. Fast reloading imo is the only benifit

1. avatar adverse5 says:

A very important benefit at that.

2. avatar Big Bill says:

“Fast reloading imo is the only benifit[sic]”

I dunno.
      With a 20 round mag, especially for home defense, fast reloading goes to a whole ‘nother level.
      But having those 20 rounds on tap without reloading is a definite benefit. Another 20 with just one quick reload is certainly a whole ‘nother benefit.

15. avatar adverse5 says:

It will be banned.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

Yup,,,And then “They” can take it without compensation.

16. avatar tfunk says:

Can I get the non-railed version with the ghost ring sights, please?

1. avatar Big Bill says:

Personal opinion…
      I would put a red dot reflex sight on it, if I were to want something other than a bead. Something like:

17. avatar Red in CO says:

*Whistles* So you’re paying another $300 for mag fed capability. Or, for the same price, you could just get a KSG. Smaller, more streamlined (no magazine to catch on things in a defensive situation), can top off the tube more easily than you can a magazine, and you get 14 rounds.

1. avatar Ben says:

I really wanted a KSG, until i shot a friends. And it jammed. And it took 15 minutes, 3 people, and tools to clear. Nope. I’m good on the KSG.

2. avatar MD Arms says:

No way you can more easily top off 14 rounds in multiple tubes. Not even if you could grab and hold those 14 loose rounds in one hand… In the time you can grab a hand full of rounds and get a few loaded you can grab a 20rd mag and have it loaded and probably mostly fired too.

18. avatar Joseph says:

Like a remake of an old Hollywood B movie.

19. avatar Ams says:

Mossberg, now do a 930 for 3 gun please.

20. avatar Nelson says:

but… but… but… ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS MSRP for ONE friggin mag!!??

uh, no.

21. avatar Libertarian says:

Old MD Arms was first

but would i realy want to see on the market is an modern bullpup semi shotgun white fit in 18/26 as this white an longer mag for 30 round

22. avatar Libertarian says: