New from Bula Defense: The First Southpaw M14

Bula? Bula? I’ve never heard of Bula Defense of Cleveland, Ohio before today. But today I saw something evil. Something sinister. A left-handed M14 . . .

Bula claims lefties have been waiting for this rifle for forty years. They must be very patient. And old.

Last year, I sold my beloved National Match Springfield M1A. So I’m interested in this ballistic Bubba — I mean Bula –even though I’m correct hand dominant. Depending on which politicians they support.

Bula owns a little corner of the internet. Click here to visit.

comments

1. avatar surlycmd says:

Classic Firearms is selling Bula manufactured, James River Armory built M14 rifles.

2. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

I’d give my right arm for one of those.

1. avatar BLoving says:

Yikes! $2395 MSRP!?
      Lefty or not, too rich for me (and I need my right arm when reloading my revolvers).
      🤠

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

You could probably buy a couple cylinder heads for that kind of coin.

2. avatar CS says:

Standard Righty models are $1500-ish. Left handed is a smaller niche with a smaller user base.

3. avatar Anon in Ct says:

Conflicted – I prefer to shoot left-handed (as does wife), but would want a classic like this to be “correct”.

1. avatar jwm says:

This is not a ‘classic’. It’s a newly made civilian version of a ‘classic’.

Just like an Italian made repro of a 73 Winchester is not a ‘classic’.

1. avatar Anon in Ct says:

Actually James River uses a lot of original M14 parts. Obviously not the receiver, since the M14 is a select-fire gun, so no, not that.

4. avatar Vhyrus says:

Um, it’s left handed so they took the charging handle from the right side, where it’s perfect for off hand manipulation for a lefty, and moved it to the left side where you have you use your firing hand. Is anyone at this company actually left handed?

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Maybe it’s really for righties who are used to using FALs and SCARs.

2. avatar Art out West says:

As a lefty, I like the charging handle on the right side (like my AK,SKS, Marlin60/795).
      Having a gun eject on the left side would be nice, as would a left-handed safety.

I do intend to pick up a left-handed boot action one of these days.

1. avatar Art out West says:

Bolt action – stupid autocorrect

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Left footed boot action.

The problem with boot action rifles is they suck when shooting prone.

2. avatar Art out West says:

I probably could cycle my M44 Mosin with my left boot.

3. avatar knightofbob says:

It’s a front heavy rifle. Unless it’s on a bipod, you’re probably not going to want to drop your support hand to manipulate the bolt or swap the mag. Also, completely different grip to avoid getting your fingers pinched.

As an aside, when not keeping the muzzle on target or down range, I use my left hand to clear the chamber on M14s and derivatives (I’m a righty). Six months of base honor guard over ten years ago, and I don’t even own one, but old habits, etc.

1. avatar Art out West says:

Thank you. I have no experience with M14 pattern rifles (I don’t think shooting Mini14 or M1 carbine count).

Maybe someday.

5. avatar Mister Furious says:

Well, I was stoked until $2495…

6. avatar matt o says:

I’m a lefty. This is a stupid idea. The direction it ejects only matters on a bullpup. Ambi safeties are the only thing that matter.

7. avatar Specialist38 says:

It is possible that I have now seen everything.

8. avatar Cucamonga Jeff says:

I’m a lefty and for the most part left handed guns are stupid. Us left handed people are smart enough to figure out how to use just about any weapon in our own way. We don’t need your right hand world pity.

9. avatar Southern Cross says:

Back in ye goode olde days I knew a number of lefties using M14s and M1As. The controls were never reported to be an issue back then.

10. avatar ken says:

As another lefty, I’ll also say no thanks. The original design is just right for lefties. And for those mentioning it, the mag release and safety is already ambi.

11. avatar adverse5 says:

Carried an M14 for 18 months while with the 503CBT/173rd ABN in Okinawa, jungle warfare training on island and off. (this was back in the dark ages, we moved in the dark without night-vision) I’m left handed, as many were, never had a problem in that respect. It is nice to have a choice. May take me some time to learn to use a left handed version tho.

12. avatar Jeff says:

If it’s a newly-made (since 1986) M14, they can’t sell it.

1. avatar Marshall Helman says:

The M14 has the selector switch to be fully automatic..the M1A is only semiauto,So yes they can sell it.