Remington Announces New Line of 870 DM Magazine-Fed Shotguns

courtesy Kat Ainsworth

[Read TTAG’s review of the Remington 870 DM HERE]

Quick…when you think of a pump shotgun, what’s the first one that comes to mind? It’s probably the venerable Remington 870. And for good reason. There aren’t many more versatile, affordable pump guns sold…perfect for use in roles from home defense to hunting to breaking clays to SHTF scenarios (read our review here). Now Big Green has taken the classic 870 design and given it a capacity upgrade.

Remington 870 DM Magpul

Their new line of magazine-fed 870 DM (detachable magazine, in case you couldn’t decipher that) ships with a single six-round mag giving you seven rounds of quickly re-loadable, heavy hitting firepower — pretty handy to have in a home defense scattergun. And they’re making the DM’s in five different flavors . . .

Remington 870 DM magazine-fed shotgun

• Magpul SGA Stock with Super Cell Recoil Pad
  • Magpul MOE M-LOK Forend
  • 18.5 Inch Rem Choke Barrel with Extended Ported Tactical Choke
  • XS Steel Front Sight, XS Tactical Rail/Ghost Ring Rear Sight
  • MSRP – $799.00

Remington 870 DM Tactical/Predator magazine-fed shotgun

870 DM Tactical / Predator (81354)

• 3 and 6 Round Detachable Magazines
  • Over Molded ShurShot Thumbhole Stock with Super Cell Recoil Pad
  • Tactical “Corn Cob” Fore-end
  • 18.5 Inch Rem Choke Barrel with two Trulock Extended Chokes   (Boar Blaster and Turkey /Predator)
  • XS Steel Front Sight, XS Tactical Rail/Ghost Ring Rear Sight

870 DM Tactical (81360)

• 6 Round Detachable Magazine
  • Pistol Grip Buttstock and Tactical “Corn Cob” Fore-end
  • 18.5 Inch barrel with Extended Ported Tactical Choke
  • XS Steel Front Sight, XS Tactical Rail/Ghost Ring Rear Sight
  • MSRP – $799

But wait…there’s more! Remmy’s also added magazine capacity to their non-NFA Tac-14 non-shotgun shotgun . . .

Remington 870 DM Tac-14 magazine-fed

870 DM Tac-14 (81348)

• 6 Round Detachable Magazine
  • Shockwave Grip and Magpul Fore-end
  • 14 Inch Cylinder Bore barrel
  • Bead Sight
  • MSRP – $559

I shot a prototype version and while it was slightly stiffer to rack than a standard 870, it cycled flawlessly. Look for our review soon.

A magazine for the Remington 870 DM shotgun

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Some of the Russian semi auto shotguns required different mags for different length of shotgun shells.

Does this gun require that?

1. avatar Shotgun Sam says:

Dang that Tac-14 looks boss. Too bad I swore off Big Green when it sold its soul for profit over quality.

Sorry Rem. I refuse to support companies as amoral as you. If you had just owned up the 700 trigger issue in the first place, maybe just maybe I’d consider throwing money at your guns again. But no, you made a real mess of things. I can wait.

1. avatar Ed says:

“Quick…when you think of a pump shotgun, what’s the first one that comes to mind?”

Mossberg 590

I wouldn’t piss on a remington if it was on fire. How “innovative” a mag-fed pump shotgun….almost IDENTICAL to the Adaptive Tactical Venom conversion..except that 3+ year old conversion kit will allow you to use BOTH the box/drum mag AND the stock magazine tube. Another second rate rip off from your friends at Freedom Group.

2. Looks like I gotta book some ‘try before you buy’ time.

3. can’t buy it in n.y.

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

Why not? It’s pump gun, not semi-auto. I’m not aware of anything in the SAFE Act that prohibits it.

1. avatar Elmo Klock says:

The barrel is to short, it has to be 18″ to be legal in NYS,

2. avatar Eddie says:

NY Safe Act restrictions don’t apply to pump, bolt or lever guns. Sorry.

1. mag feed , that the catch in the safe act

3. avatar Mikial says:

Can you buy anything in NY? I used to live upstate, but when I came home from a stint in the military with a shiny Ruger .357 and found out I was breaking the law just by bringing it home with me even though I’d been cleared to work in nuclear submarine reactors, I left and never looked back. To refer to NY by paraphrasing The Joker, “Bob . . . this state needs an enema.”

1. And that is why so many are leaving

4. avatar Larry says:

How is it not NY legal ?

Safe act states ” any pump , lever , or bolt action shotgun can not be an assault rifle .”

5. avatar Tim says:

Hey look, everyone. It’s Remington. And they’re ‘innovating’, or something. Or not.

I’d say, “nice try”, but it’s actually quite a miserable, pathetic, and desperate attempt for relevancy.

6. avatar Big Al says:

Will other Rem 870 barrels interchange???

1. avatar Dan Zimmerman says:

Yes. Any 870 replacement barrel will work in a DM model.

7. avatar ATFAgentBob says:

Ummm Black Aces Tactical has been doing this on Mossberg 500s for years.

1. avatar Tom396 says:

Remington seems to always be right behind Mossberg when it comes to innovation.

8. avatar Hank says:

It’s kinda cool. I would buy a magazine fed 1187/1100, if their quality control has improved from recent history.

9. avatar WI Patriot says:

“Remington Announces New Line of 870 DM Magazine-Fed Shotguns”

Better late than never…

10. avatar ColdNorth says:

Remington recreates the Dominion Arms Grizzly, but this time for sale in the USA. Will they also offer the shorty barrels like up here? The 12.5 inch barrel makes for a good backpacker gun.

1. avatar DrewR says:

Restricted in the US. After an extra $200 and a 6-12 month wait we could totally get a 12.5 inch smooth bore with a stock, with restrictions on what states you can and cannot have it.

1. avatar ColdNorth says:

I’m not going to pretend Canada isn’t the land of idiotic laws, but I hope that you get that US restriction removed as soon as possible.

Of course, your backpacking plans are a lot simpler than ours as you can just pack your handgun.

1. avatar DrewR says:

We’re working on it, but I’m not holding my breath, it’s been that way since the 30s. SBRs and Suppressors, too. I have a little hope that suppressors will be deregulated sometime in the near-ish future, but that’s about it.

2. avatar Red in CO says:

Yeah, it’s pretty ridiculous that we can’t have any rifles or shotguns with barrels under 16” (unless we pay the ATF their blood money and jump through all kinds of stupid hoops), because concealability, and yet handguns are readily available

11. avatar tom coville says:

Who makes the 30 round magazines?

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

How ’bout a “bump” slide?

Huh? Huh? KnowwhatImean? Huh? Huh?

1. avatar tom coville says:

Yes 30 rounds and bump fire!

1. avatar Patrick H says:

That’ll hurt your arm

2. avatar bobdog says:

You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.

2. avatar Snatchums says:

You guys joke but you can’t slamfire an 870 can you?

1. avatar VerendusAudeo says:

I don’t believe you can. I don’t think it’s actually illegal, but I don’t know of any modern shotguns that are slamfire capable. My 1897 can slamfire, but it was also manufactured in 1941.

12. avatar B-Rad says:

So with Remington having issues with the super modern standard 870 quality control, what’s the likelihood of adding a new feeding mechanism, magazine lockup, still cheap, being very reliable? I’d rather buy a Maverick 88.

Remington makes some good defensive ammo, but I don’t buy it, since there are other options, and this entire enterprise should die, just pull the plug already.

13. avatar n64456 says:

That DM Tac-14 has Form 1 written all over it! 🙂

14. avatar Tim says:

Yea! Now I can have 6 rounds in a magazine instead of 7 rounds in the tube…..?……

Box magazines iz bettur…….r’ sumpin’……

1. avatar CHLChris says:

1) A lot easier to reload. 2) Balance of the rounds right in front of grip much better than strung out under barrel. 3) It’s an 870!!!

1. avatar Ed says:

A lot easier to reload (until you run out of $50 mags). Balance of the rounds is obsurd, you’re not shooting bulls @ 100 yards…its a SHOTGUN. And yes, its a remington 870, that means you can buy an inferior product to, say a mossberg, at an inflated price from a corporate conglomorate that RUINED the remington brand, along with many others! Whats not to like???

1. avatar John S. says:

Poor Ed, he’s sad.

15. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Why do firearms manufacturers never offer these innovative designs in 20 gauge?!?!?!?

Pro-tip: 20 gauge slugs are every bit as effective as 12 gauge slugs for stopping human attackers — and without the horrendous recoil and blast!

16. avatar Scotty says:

You only need two rounds anyways, one to fire, and one to fail to feed because Remington can’t make a shotgun anymorw

17. avatar CHLChris says:

I want the Magpul one Right NOW! And the reason is because it is choked. I can’t wait!

18. avatar Chadwick says:

Wow finally a remmy gun I want. Maybe I’ll just wait for iac to copy, make it better, and cheapet. Like the did with the hawk guns.

Let’s see here… support commies or union labor? Yeah that’s about sixes.

1. avatar John R says:

Norinco has made a box mag fed 870 clone for years. Looks more thought out. Too bad we can’t get it in the US.

19. avatar Josh says:

It’s an interesting concept but I’m a bit concerned about the location of the magazine release. I foresee plenty of accidental mag drops when someone leans the shotgun on a hunting blind, a barricade, or bumps up against it while cycling the action.

I guess it’s probably not as big a deal with a shotgun as it would be with a 3-gun rifle or a PRS build, but I’m not 100% sold on the design yet.

20. avatar MojoRonin says:

Hey Mossberg, rip that idea off, for the 930. For the kids.

1. avatar Just Sayin says:

^Yep… For us kids.
      My mom said I could have one.
      She’s in her 80’s and thinks it would be cool.
      Would really tighten up the look of my JM Pro 930 (24″) if they offered a conversion kit.

21. avatar Noishkel says:

Nice. Let me know when they make a drum magazine for one. |3

22. avatar Nikki says:

When will the 870 DM Tac-14 be available for sale?

23. avatar Matt says:

Call me when it is an 1100 semi-auto with a detachable magazine.

That said, I dunno. Are the barrels interchangeable with standard 870 barrels? If so and they make a 20ga version as well I might get one SOME day. I’ve been wanting an 18.5″ 870 with ghost ring sights as an HD shotgun that my wife can use as well as me. I don’t like having guns I can’t use for sporting or hunting purposes, so if I can put on a 26″ ribbed barrel to break clays or to drop some squirrels once or twice a year, good.

I’d need a 2 round magazine for my state for hunting though (max capacity, 3 shells, must be physically blocked). A 2, a 6 and a 10rnd would be nice (and, hey, an 18 or 20 round drum too, why not). With a 20ga, that would also make those magazines about 15% smaller.

1. avatar achmed says:

Yes – an 1100 with box mag would be cool.

24. avatar achmed says:

It’s kinda neat. Rifles are better. Let’s see if they improve their QC before having a love fest with Remington again.

25. avatar L-T says:

I hope there will be some type of conversion kit for current 870s.

26. avatar Drake says:

This might actually get Remington some sales. Sad to say, but they’ve not really put anything out I’d own in a while.

27. avatar Dave says:

Yeah… I’ll wait for the Mossberg version. Also, Saiga box mags or GTFO.

28. avatar Bill says:

Black Aces Tacktical has been doing this for years based on the Mossberg platform. And after what Remington did I’ll never buy from them anyway.

1. avatar Bill says:

please excuse the spelling error.

29. avatar Grumpyoldretiredcop says:

Gee, I wonder if it will work as well as the R-51 when it first came out 😉 ?

30. avatar Didymus says:

I’m waiting for the Mossberg version that will allow for feeding from the magazine and from the tube under the barrel.

31. avatar adverse5 says:

Pass.

32. avatar Mad Anthony Wayne says:

I’m not very impressed. I’ll stick with the “tactical” that has six in the tubular magazine plus one in the chamber. From a standpoint of self defense, particularly inside the home, only the zombie apocalypse would need a reload. If seven rounds of full load #4 buckshot can’t do the job followed by two mags with 16 more rounds in a 1911 .45 ACP (16 more rounds) and another 12 from a .357 magnum (one reload), you’re in extremely deep kimchi fighting off an army, not one to three very determined home invasion thugs.

33. avatar Kenneth G Maiden says:

Now I’ll have to wait for the massive recalls and the commie kalifornia ban’s to raise their heads.