Personal Defense Tip: Avoid Hatchet-Wielding Home Invaders…Home Carry

Homeowner hit with hatchet while his gun is in his car.

courtesy news9.com

You come home at the end of a long day’s work, only to be surprised by a burglar who’s rummaging through your things. If ever you needed your personal defense firearms, that’s the time. The home invader comes at you, but there’s a problem — you left your EDC gun in your car. Oh, and the burglar is armed.

As Oklahoma City Police officer Isaac Goodman tells it,

The suspect at some point retrieved a hatchet from his waistband and struck the homeowner over the head. The homeowner retreated to the garage where he had his concealed carry weapon in his vehicle. He retrieved the weapon.

By the time the un-named homeowner had gotten his gat, the bad guy had high-tailed out into the evening. Likely bleeding from the head, the now-armed defender wisely dialed 911 rather than taking off after him. A decision Officer Goodman praised.

He held back and called us which is exactly what we want to do. A gun’s for your protection until you can get us there.

True enough. But it’s only really effective if you have it with you. Fortunately, the homeowner’s head injury wasn’t severe. This could have turned out much, much worse. The moral of this cautionary Sooner State story…home carry.

comments

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Yup, I just installed a motion detecting video doorbell that covers the only street level access to my home for this very reason. Combine that with the fact that I am never more than 5′ from a loaded firearm, and you have a very good home security setup.

2. avatar BLoving says:

The moral of the story is home carry, work carry, public restroom carry, walking in the woods carry, wearing your jammies and heading to bed carry…
    If your gun is neither attached to you or in your hand, you are unarmed- it’s that simple. 🤠

1. avatar Travis says:

I’m super thankful to have an understanding wife, because that is exactly what I do. You just don’t know when you might find yourself in need of a gun.

3. avatar ironicatbest says:

Leaving your gun in your vehicle is ignorant.

4. avatar James Allen Wyatt, Jr., Son of The Gunsmith and Builder of WYATT-POWER CUSTOM SPORTING RIFLES - Kosciusko, MS H.S.Class of 1956, Mississippi State University Class of 1961 says:

A SIDEARM HAS BEEN EITHER WORN CONCEALED OR CARRIED IN A BOOKSACHEL OR BRIEFCASE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL AND THROUGH COLLEGE AND TO THIS VERY DAY AND THIS “HABIT” WILL CONTINUE. PERIOD.

1. avatar ORCON says:

Holy shit, bro.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

Nice. But what was your mother’s profession and where and when did you attend kindergarten?

5. avatar James Allen Wyatt, Jr., Son of The Gunsmith and Builder of WYATT-POWER CUSTOM SPORTING RIFLES - Kosciusko, MS H.S.Class of 1956, Mississippi State University Class of 1961 says:

FOR ONE TO GO UNARMED AT ANY TIME CONSTITUTES ‘ASSUMING THE RISK’ AND THEREBY “STRONGLY INVITING THE ALMOST CERTAIN POTENTIAL OF INVITING INJURY, DISABILITY OR DEATH’ AND THUS IS SIMPLY INSANITY!!!

1. avatar jwm says:

JoeR. is going to be pissed at you. He has exclusive rights to the CAP LOCK here at ttag.

1. avatar ironicatbest says:

JoeR Caps Lock Parking Only

1. avatar MLee says:

OH DEAR!!

6. avatar TXGunGal says:

That is why snub nose handguns were invented.
    I pocket carry Ruger LCR 22lr 8 rounds. Why a 22lr?
    Because I don’t want to damage my hearing or my dogs hearing.
    And most thugs are not looking at size of handgun, they just see GUN!
    My husband keeps a knife under his pillow😳 I could tell him “don’t take a knife to a gun fight” but he is an Oklahoma redneck, and first born. You can’t tell them anything.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

TXGunGal,

Have you ever fired that LCR without hearing protection? I have a sneaking hunch that it is plenty loud to damage your hearing. I hope that I am wrong.

I do have a question: how easy/hard is the trigger on that thing? I have heard that the triggers on all .22 LR revolvers are extremely hard.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Not all, uncommon. The NAA’s trigger is fine, but it’s single-action only. Your thumb does the hard work involved when cocking it. A .22 revolver in double-action only, like most snubbies are when hammerless, is a ghastly trigger pull.

And GunGal, I agree with him on the volume of .22lr revolvers.

Those suckers are *loud*. .38 Special would be quieter than .357 mag, and the bigger muzzle hole than the 22 may inspire a bit more ‘Jesus’ in thug, perhaps reducing the need to pull that trigger in the first place.

Just my .02 and worth about two cents less than that…

7. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Entering your home unarmed is risky unless you check the entire outside of your home (for broken windows/doors) before entering.

For me it is easier to be armed while entering my home than to check the entire outside of my home every time I have been away. Plus, being armed when I enter my home means that I was armed when I was away from home which provides additional advantages.

8. avatar former water walker says:

Yup I always have a gun within reach. My wife of nearly 30years thinks mebbe I’m paronoid. But violent crime is increasing in my neighborhood. Oh and I’m getting OLD😖

9. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Yep. Good idea to avoid naked guys with pitchforks too.

10. avatar Jay in Florida says:

This is why I carry 20/24/7. My house guns always within reach. Since Im single no need to keep things locked away.

11. avatar James69 says:

Speaking about .22 I wonder what those CCI Copper-22’s(poly-copper dust) would do to a bad guy?? I think they leave the barrel at like 1,800 fps?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

The wounds by rounds like that tend to be of the ‘icepick’ variety, imagine what an icepick stab wound would do.

Any addition damage is a bonus, and cannot be relied upon…

2. avatar BigDaveinVT says:

I have heard that .22lr can produce 18 inches of penetration in ballistic jell. here’s a few web pages on the subject:

Full disclosure; none of the links above support 18 inches; most shots achieve around 14 in.

Another key factor is practice. A new shooter is less likely to practice with a self defense pistol if they are not comfortable shooting it (recoil, noise, etc.). After seeing her flinch every time she fired her 9mm, I bought my wife a Walther 22lr for self defense. Now I can at least get her to go to the range occasionally (I just need to convince her to carry it).

3. avatar Jay in Florida says:

I have them but haven’t had a chance to try them in my Berreta21a yet. Im wondering too. I keep it in the couch cushion loaded with CCI segmented Hi velocity.

4. avatar Jay in Florida says:

I have them but haven’t had a chance to try them in my Berreta21A yet. Im wondering too. I keep it in the couch cushion loaded with CCI segmented Hi velocity. Need a lot of fps in a really short 22 barrel.

12. avatar The Rookie says:

Man, I bet that guy had a splitting headache after the perp mauled him. I hope he saw enough that the responding officer could write it on his log.

Personally, I would have shot the perp right in the adze, no questions axed.

(I’m in for a beating for this, aren’t I?)

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

You are likely to be barked at, yes, but some of us are rooting for you.

2. avatar Robby says:

Now that’s a sharp set of paronomasia, but I’m afraid they will fly over most homeowners head’s.

1. avatar Rick Hess says:

Well played, and thanks for the new word for my vocabulary.

13. avatar Ugly95 says:

It was day 40+ and counting yet still no permit to possess. After she gets her permit to possess she would need to go through the same process to purchase a pistol. Then she would not be able to carry or have in her car. Out of 9 million people there are less than 2000 carry permits in New Jersey.

1. avatar Garrison Hall says:

New Jersey’s gun laws serve a greater good and it’s unfair to criticize them by bringing up isolated examples like this. //sarc//

14. avatar Blkojo says:

Re: the .22 LCR. Out of a handgun I would load 40 grain solids. Out of a 10/22 rifle or similar I would load Stingers.