NRA Membership Petition to Reform the Board of Directors

Adam Kraut is a candidate for the NRA board of directors.

2018 NRA Board of Directors candidate Adam Kraut is pulling no punches this election season. Adam who ran last year for the board and lost by less than 100 votes is pushing two amendment initiatives that would give a voice back to the NRA membership.

The bylaw changes are the culmination of multiple conversations with other fellow NRA members over the past couple months and were drafted as other worried parties within the Second Amendment community saw a need to hold the board more accountable to the membership.

Adam has done his homework. He requested and received the roll call from the last eight meetings (excluding the most recent one). From those minutes he created a spreadsheet tracking the current directors’ attendance. Interestingly enough, there are some individuals who are consistently absent or have missed a large number of meetings.

Former NRA President and current NRA Lobbyist for Florida, Marion Hammer, has attended exactly zero meetings for which Kraut was able to get records. Yet she’s been nominated by the committee for reelection to her board seat once again.

For those who don’t know that’s the same Marion Hammer who said last month . . .

The “bump-stock” device, used by the killer in the Las Vegas shooting, converts a semi-auto rifle to a full-auto rifle.

And…

…there are “Trojan horse members” who are deliberately misinterpreting what the NRA has said. Just like having an (R) after your name doesn’t make you a conservative Republican, having an NRA membership card doesn’t make you an honest member.

Be very careful of anti-NRA people claiming to have many supporters who are merely standing in a hall of mirrors and seeing their own reflections. Don’t be fooled.

This fight is not about the personal financial interests of NRA Board members. This fight should not be used by any individual Board member to attack NRA as a means elevate their own popularity with dissidents and “Trojan horse members.”

Hammer’s attendance records were duplicated by Ted Nugent and Tom Selleck.

Adam Kraut is fighting the good fight and working to give a voice to NRA members that were silenced this past election with the bylaw changes pushed by the board’s old guard. Kraut’s work has demonstrated that the NRA Board has lost touch with the general membership and and the swamp needs draining, to coin a phrase.

Here is the attendance data for the Directors whose term expires in 2018.

As Kraut describes his efforts:

First Petition

The first petition imposes “term limits” on Directors, as well as an attendance policy. The term limits come in the form of rendering a director ineligible to run for a third or more consecutive term without running by petition of the members. This is to curtail a director being renominated by the Nominating Committee simply because they are a Director. It will also require that they go back to the members for support to continue the organization. Based on the number of Directors who attempted/succeeded this go round, I expect this may shake things up.

The proposed change would also create an attendance policy for the board. Board members would be required to attend 2 of the 3 regular meetings held each year. Failure to do so would render the Director ineligible to be nominated by the Committee. In essence, if someone were nominated by the Committee or ran by petition and was elected for their first term, failure to attend would not allow the Committee to nominate them for a second term. Lastly, the amendment does provide for an excused absence in limited circumstances (emergency/medical treatment, death, natural disaster, and transportation cancellation by the carrier), because things do happen in life and to not recognize such would be foolish. However, if there are three or more successive medical excuses or two or more successive excuses for the other reasons listed, a director would again become ineligible for nomination by the Committee.

In order to bring this to the members, we’ll need about 6,500 signatures of voting members, which is no small task. And that number could go up depending upon how many ballots are cast in this election cycle. The good news, that according to the bylaws, we are no limited in the time to do so, unlike a recall petition. So we could begin collecting signatures now and keep going for a year or more if needed.

Second Petition

The second petition would create an Honorary Board. The purpose of Honorary Boards are to place individuals who possess certain traits on a board where they can be a part of the organization, offer advice and be involved, but not have the same privileges and duties as the governing board. In this instance, the Honorary Board would be entitled to attend regular and special meetings. They would have the same rights and privileges as the Board of Directors except that they SHALL NOT be entitled to vote, be reimbursed for travel expenses, sponsor bylaw amendments, introduce or second motions, or sit in executive sessions of the Board or Committees. I’ve also included a provision that they may be hired by the NRA to perform services, but the Secretary shall be required to compile a quarterly report outlining the amounts paid and description of the services which would be available to the members.

The language that is in bold italics can only be changed by the members if passed. This is particularly important in relation to the first petition, assuming we are successful in getting it on the ballot and passed.

Instructions

It is imperative that the instructions be followed on these petitions. There is a sheet at the beginning of the packet explaining what the person completing and/or circulating the petition must do.

Petitions

Time and care was taken to confirm with the NRA’s secretary of the NRA that the petitions would meet all the requirements of the bylaws. It is okay to fill in all of the fields on the computer, other than the signature and date. The signature and date must he handwritten in blue or black ink.

The petitions can be downloaded at the following link: DOWNLOAD THE PETITIONS.

If you opt to share this information outside of this forum, please use the following link: SHARE ME.

In the end, it appears that the NRA’s membership now has a fighting chance at regaining a voice in how their organization is run.

comments

1. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I must admit I’ve been a functionally absent member of the NRA (and the 2nd Amendment Foundation).

Judging by the lack of comments, so far, I’m not alone.

I am heartened by the activism of Mr. Kraut. I’ll sign the petition.

2. avatar MamaLiberty says:

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

The more people involved in “administration,” and the more convoluted the rules they labor under.. the more the horse will resemble a camel…

Too little, and much too late for me.

3. avatar BLoving says:

“Hammer’s attendance records were duplicated by Ted Nugent and Tom Selleck.”
    To be fair, Ted was never a serious (ie: decision making) member to begin with – he was just a popular face to show how cool the NRA is, but hes too busy hunting to attend meetings.
    No idea what Ol’Tom has been up to… laying on a beach somewhere I guess…

1. avatar Jeremy B. says:

It would seem that the Honorary board would be the perfect place for Ted and Tom.

1. avatar FedUp says:

You beat me to it. So I guess I just have to say…

2. avatar Bob says:

Ted and Tom take votes and seats away from people that want to actually do something. They need to go.

4. avatar Jim Bullock says:

Those petitions are enough to motivate me to join.

In a bureaucracy, decisions get made by the people who show up. You maintain control by controlling who gets to show up, more than what’s covered in the meeting. I’m not invited, I don’t pay: I’m not very interested in funding someone else’s cabal.

In theory, this extends all the way up to national politics. If only there was an example or two…

1. avatar FedUp says:

I think you have to be an annual member for five years or a life member for five minutes to vote and sign petitions.

Does buying a five year membership make you a voting member immediately, or at the end of the five years?

1. avatar Luis Valdes says:

To be a voting member you must have five years of unbroken membership or be a paid off life member.

I’ve been a member since 1994 and have done it in the five year plans.

The NRA needs reform, as long as Trojan Horse members are kept out. That’s no easy feat.

An “Honorary Board” is a useless as teats on a bull.

1. avatar PistoleroJesse says:

except for the virtue signaling… of both the NRA and the board member. So that’s what it does, but you are correct about its functional worth…

2. avatar Roymond says:

Nah, an “Honorary Board” is like gold plating on the bull’s horns: shiny, gets attention, makes no difference in function.

6. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Term limits are a really good idea and terminating the folks who can’t be bothered to show up for at least three out of four meetings is even better! Adam will have my vote!

7. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I applaud this move. I’ll print, sign and Mail off my petition.

8. avatar Nanashi says:

The real question is how they get rid of Cox and LaPierre, who have proven they don’t suppport the second amendment.

1. avatar Al says:

Second this. LaPierre and Cox need to be replaced.

9. avatar FortWorthColtGuy says:

I have already cast my vote by not renewing my membership to the NRA, being an outspoken critic of LaPierre and Cox, not funding the bloated, nepotistic, inept and corrupt board and throwing every advertisement I get from them away.

I am no longer going to be a member of a group that compromises and never advances the ball down the field. All of the legislative victories of the NRA have been to stop legislation, never to get anything passed. I do not think that the head of the NRA should be unelected, unaccountable, and paid millions of dollars to accomplish absolutely nothing. I look at this like any business would. Regardless of the circumstances that may or may not be out of the control of the CEO, you still hold the CEO accountable for the failures of the organization. The NRA cannot get the hearing protection act, the share Act, or anything else passed. It is time for us to go to another organization who will fight those fights.

1. avatar neiowa says:

If you already “voted with your feet” your opinions of the NRA have as much relevance as those of Bloomberg, Obumer, and Soros

1. avatar FortWorthColtGuy says:

I’m sorry that you don’t care about the Second Amendment as much as I do. It is something that I am very passionate about and refuse to compromise on. I respect your opinion and belief in the NRA, but I do not share your thoughts on the matter. I am actually willing to fight and work towards passing pro gun legislation instead of working with the enemies of the Second Amendment like the NRA does.

10. avatar neiowa says:

The 2 proposals are not a bad ideam BUT I smell a self-serving lawyer at work. Sounds like Kraut wants to throw out a bunch of directors so he can get himself elected and that’s BS. The world does NOT need more shysters running ANYTHING. Much of the point of “Drain the Swamp” is getting rid of the damn lawyers.

He needs to withdraw his candidacy (conflict of interest) then perhaps.

1. avatar Luis Valdes says:

The Board of Directors passed bylaw changes last year that strip the voice of the base membership. Furthermore, being on the board does not make you money. You DON’T GET PAID for being on the BoD of the NRA.

2. avatar None says:

Do you know anything about the guy? I’d look him up under the legal brief, on the gun collective youtube cgannel. This guy does a ton to help people out dealing with the absurdity of our laws. This is the kind of guy the board SHOULD have.

1. avatar Ragnar says:

TGC’s The LEGAL BRIEF is a great asset to all pro-2A people. Adam Kraut had my vote last year and will have it again this year. He talks the talk and walks the walk. As far as lawyers go; he is one of the good guys.

11. avatar =BCE56= says:

Gun grabbers hate and fear the NRA. With that in mind I think the NRA should go on the offensive rather than cravenly attempting to appease them.
    “Reasonable” gun control, my ass.

12. avatar No Money for NRA says:

The NRA sold us out after Vegas. They are not getting my money. The 2nd Amendment Foundation is a much better place to send it. I have to wonder if the NRA will sell us out again after Texas today. Stay tuned!

1. avatar Ing says:

The SAF supported the egregious Manchin-Toomey universal background check bill after Sandy Hook. There’s no perfect 2A organization. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

2. avatar Roymond says:

The NRA sold us out the moment they let a PR firm take over and turn the executive VP into a sock puppet. LaPierre doesn’t speak for gun rights, he speaks for the flow of money.

13. avatar tiger says:

Sore loser & more sore commenters. Thankfully wiser heads were elected. Attendance could be better, but these folks do have jobs & lives outside the Board. I would worry more about your local school board than, Ms. Hammer.

1. avatar Roymond says:

Fallacy alert!

It’s quite possible to worry about my local school board AND Marion Hammer.
      Who has been corrupt for quite some time. If these measures will get her either paying attention or out, they’re worth the effort.

14. avatar Aaron M. Walker says:

Yeah, Something needs to be solidified real soon after another recent mass shooting spree in Texas! The Civilian Disarmament machine is driving forward with full force. As I post this, there are now constant news blerbs from the Left-wing about ” ban this, restrict this, make it more difficult to purchase this, prohibit that, repeal the 2nd amendment, and the list goes on and on…It tires me personally…Pro2@ heavy-hitters need to step up their A-game to stop this mad onslaught of political attacks against OUR Constitutional-Bill of Rights! I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but I find these mass shooting sprees way to “strategic in planning”. Like there receiving assistance from one of our shadowy government intelligence agencies…Like these incidents were designed to have “cause and effect”. Creating political agenda and turmoil within our country…Sorry, but after Vegas Im having a hard time with these random shooting incidents…