Did Massachusetts FFL The Gun Parlor Help the Mainstream Media Demonize Online Ammo Sales?

According to members of NorthEastShooters.com, Justin Gabriel, owner of The Gun Parlor collaborated with WCVB 5 News in taking out an ammunition mail order competitor.

Apparently, the Massachusetts FFL shut down his store and range to give WCVB 5 News a set and props for their hit piece on online ammunition orders. A member on NES stated:

They allowed themselves to get used to lend legitimacy to an anti gun hit piece- that end of it is mostly guilt by association kind of thing. Even if he never once said this, the optics readout is going to be “look businblah, there’s even a gun dealer that said that people are breaking a law by getting ammo without having to show an LTC”.

The Gun Parlor is a licensed gun and ammunition dealer in Worcester. Ammunition is readily available for purchase by Massachusetts residents if they have a license to carry (LTC) or a firearms identification card (FID), which is required by law for all in state ammunition purchases. But Massachusetts residents can legally buy ammo from out of state vendors.

So the question becomes, did The Gun Parlor purposefully take part to remove a possible business competitor or did they do this in an attempt to educate the news media — and were sandbagged by the press?

Perhaps not irrelevantly, The Gun Parlor was cited in December 13, 2016 for numerous violations of Massachusetts State Laws and entered into an Assurance of Discontinuance with Attorney General Maura Healey.

[An Assurance of Discontinuance is an agreement between the suspect and the State’s Attorney General where any act or practice deemed in violation of law or policy. That the person engaging in said violation that they will not engage in such act or practice again and cooperate with the State’s AG.]

To be fair, based on the television report, that seller did ship ammunition into Massachusetts without obtaining a copy of the buyer’s FID card. A violation of Massachusetts’ ridiculous gun control regime.

In the end though, either The Gun Parlor purposefully took action to remove possible competitors or neglectfully gave ammunition to the gun grabbers. So to speak.

As we’ve seen time and time again (e.g., Firearms Trainer Pat Macnamara going on a Comedy Central anti-gun program and being quoted that he supported Universal Background Checks or the Virginia Citizens Defense League being misquoted by Katie Couric in her anti-gun documentary “Under the Gun”) the news media is ready, willing and able to misquote or mislead members of the Second Amendment Community.

To use their statements as weapons and tool against The People of the Gun and their rights in the culture war waged against us. Anyone who deals with the media should be aware, and wary, of this threat.

comments

1. avatar WI Patriot says:

“5 Investigates: Anyone with a credit card can by ammo online”

IF they can’t tell the difference between “by” and “buy”, then it’s just a fluff piece…MSM doesn’t care whether they have the facts or not, they just make sh!t up as they go along, we’ve seen it time and time again…ignorance runs rampant among the anti’s…

1. avatar Madcapp says:

F/K that Sh/T hole state. Buying ammo is like buying bananas…its nobodys g-d damn business. The USA isn’t England, or some other nanny state. The whole idea that you have to show an ID to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right is ludicrous. Gun ownership isn’t a privilege, its a fundamental and foundational right in this country.

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Actually, Massa-twoshits _is_ a nanny state. And State knows best. Ammo components ate considered ammunition, so you need to show your LTC to buy primers. And many places won’t ship brass ‘cause it’s ammo.

I’m glad that I escaped.

1. avatar Bubba Watson says:

Massah-two-shits is the same state that re-elected Teddy Kennedy to the senate for five more terms after his cowardly murder of Mary Jo Kopechne.

2. avatar Warlocc says:

Actually, for all intents and purposes, Massachusetts residents can’t purchase ammo online.

Because we have to show our cards and have a check run, we can only purchase at FFLs, and every retailer I’ve ever tried to purchase from online flat out refused to ship to FFL’s in MA.

Luckily I have a local guy that gives me fairly good deals, but it’s still nothing like the prices I could get if I could buy online in bulk.

Basically, this entire thing is a joke. I’ve never been able to buy ammo online, and I’ve got a class A license and work in private security with credentials.

1. avatar Matt says:

Incorrect! Massachusetts residents can most definitely buy ammo online. Also, there is no background check required to purchase ammo. Not sure what dealer you’ve been buying from.

1. avatar Warlocc says:

If you know a good online retailer for ammo I can check out, let me know. Every one I’ve tried has refused to ship here. Maybe I just fail at searching.

1. avatar Matt says:

Now that the cat’s out of the bag, Target Sports USA used to be one of the awesome vendors who would sell and ship ammo right to your doorstep. There are still plenty of others, but I don’t think I should list them out in the open. Just do a bit of searching and you will find them!

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Ammo To Go no longer ships to MA.

2. avatar Aaron M. Walker says:

Run a check? You mean when the Wal-Mart employee just looks at a valid license…And then asks you what type ammo…

3. avatar Michael James says:

Forty states in the USA do NOT have an issue with online ammo sales, and I have-yet to hear of any incident where online ammo purchases presented a legitimate “problem” for the general public to be concerned about. Neighboring states like Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut do NOT require a ‘permit’ for cash-n-carry ammo purchases – only MA does. Are you too obtuse to ask yourself ‘why, Maura’? MA’s law makes no sense whatsoever, as it attempts to address a ‘problem’ that doesn’t exist. It is immoral, and a 2A infringement that facilitates in-state ammo price-gouging and interferes with inter-state Commerce.

1. avatar Huntmaster says:

You are wrong. While I cannot comment on neighboring states, Connecticut absolutely requires a permit document or valid hunting license to buy ammo. You can’t even buy an empty magazine without a permit. And Connecticut residents cannot buy in Massachusetts without a permit. At least not at the Wal-Mart where I checked.

1. avatar Grumpkin McSnarky says:

You poor souls. Any word on when New England plans on rejoining the Union?

2. avatar Serpent_Vision says:

Most stores in NH and VT require one to present some form of payment for any ammo that’s purchased.

1. avatar Huntmaster says:

Why are you trying to muddle the discussion?

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I don’t remember being asked for ID in NH.

3. avatar Luke 22 says:

I’m from another one of those NE shithole states, and I haven’t bought a gun, ammo or reloading components from my home state in 20 years…go to ME, NH, VT, VA, WV or PA for the weekend, and give them your business, especially when there is a show in town.
        There is no law against not patronizing local business’…yet. In my state, the State PD’s cruise the LGS’s, checking names and addresses in their firearm and ammo sale books on a regular basis…yeah…thanks…but uh…no thanks.

4. avatar Jim says:

There are at least 3 companies I know of that will sell and ship ammo to your door in MA, but I won’t mention them publicly.

3. avatar Aaron M. Walker says:

Doesn’t surprise me! Massachusetts is a F**King Corrupt “Communist Slave State.” Where the 2nd Amendment is available as a Leftist, Local/State Police Department issued privilege. (You also need it to purchase any firearm. Along with a State issues Pin number.) Depending on where you live. An FID/LTC may, or may not be overly difficult to attain…Usually they get “rubber stamped” for Politicians, MA. Wealthy folks, Police fanboys & Suck @$$ es by the Local PDs for the township cliches. Where as the paperwork is properly expedited for them…Anyway, I noticed a few of the remaining gun stores AREN’T actually bastions of freedom in MA. Some dealers were, and may still demand an FID/LTC for Pepper spray, and Mace. Even though it’s not required. Some are just plain dicks! Where the proprietors of the stores even spew anti-pro2@ BS at their customers! And some of these stores are GOAL.ORG supported. Believe me, if I had the money. I’d move out of Massachusetts immediately to a “Free-state”.

1. avatar We don' need no stinkin' ID cards! says:

I doubt that it was intentional, but it was very (ironically) VERY appropriate, when you typed “cliches” instead of “cliques”. It seems that no matter what state you live in (and I live in the permanent state of confusion, AKA Illinois), most state, county, township, parish, village, hamlet (Why isn’t there an “Egglet”?), or precinct, the governing bodies are almost always cliches. “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help you!” It really should be, “I’m from the government and I’m here to watch you”.

4. avatar Raoul Duke says:

Sounds like a sellout who doesn’t want any competition.

Remember Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms? They wanted a carveout for their stuff in Illinois.

There was even a gun store in Delaware who testified in favor of a universal background check law. He even made it blatantly clear he wanted the extra revenue from mandatory background checks.

Hell I even worked for a FFL who said he didn’t care how many guns were banned. If he could only sell double barrel shotguns he would be okay with it and would make his life easier.

Look at how many outed themselves when it came to bumpfire stocks?

There are scumbags who sell guns who don’t give a crap about the 2nd Amendment. This is another one of those times and it won’t be the last.

5. avatar M1Lou says:

In MA, nothing would surprise me. I ran into a lot of Fudds when I lived there. There are a few gun stores out there that will gladly screw over their competition to get ahead. But, they don’t see that when everyone else is gone, they will be the sole target and nobody will be around anymore to help.

6. avatar Clay-in-UT says:

Sounds like someone was upset you could find a better price for ammo online.

7. avatar BEL says:

Read that agreement with the AG – part of it states they will forward copies of all 4473’s to the AG’s office for a period of 2 years. Wonder if they have disclosed that info to their customers when they sell a gun.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

In California, all guns sales are reported to the Department of Justice, which maintains a database of these “Dealer Record of Sales.” They claim that this is NOT gun registration, even though the DROS contains the name address and ph # of the purchaser, and the manufacturer, model, caliber or gauge of each firearm sold.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

it isn’t registration of guns; that’s covered under different laws for certain guns.
        It IS however a registry of guns. (Almost the same thing, and for all intents and purposes, it acts as a list of registered guns.)

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I missed the 4473 bit. Either way, MA has a firearms registry and has since I first got. Y LTC in 1976. You did the 4473 and a MA form, which was a carbon copy deal. Now it’s online, so guns bought through an FFL are registered. And if you buy privately, the buyer is supposed to enter it in the system. Fun, fun, fun.

1. avatar BEL says:

Not everything that requires a 4473 goes through MIRCS(the MA state BG check/transaction system). I’ll leave it up to you to figure out if that’s important or not.

8. avatar GS650G says:

If you are into guns then Mass is a bad state to live in. Take your skills and earning potential to another state.

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

I agree in principle, but Mass has companies that are always hiring and they pay very, very well.

1. avatar Cam says:

To sell out your rights they better pay very well. I would rather be paid a fair wage and keep my rights!

2. avatar Browning's Ghost says:

Easier said than done. For many of us, myself included, I was born and raised in Mass. My family is here and my business is here. I have lived in other places, but it looks like I’ll be here for the duration. So moving is not an option.
      Also I will point out that if all progun folks move out, the antis will legislate completely un-opposed, and the format will eventually be used as an example for national/federal laws. (i.e. Romneycare/Obamacare).
      We are on the frontline. It’s easy for other states simply sit back and say that sucks for Mass or that sucks for California, but the reality is that if the White House and the Congress flip back to full-libtard, ALL 2A supporters are going to feel the suck.
      You need us to fight and we need your support.
      The Gun Parlor are shills. This should not surprise any one. Gun stores, manufacturer, and the NRA are in this game to make a buck. They really don’t give a damn about your rights and anti-gun controversy is what keeps them in the black. Screw them.

9. avatar Noishkel says:

Never. Talk. To. The. Media.

If this past election cycle told anyone anything is that the MSM will never be honest about guns and gun crime in America. Even the best most honest people at Fox (not that Fox News is great, they’re just not leftist partisans) will only go so far as their editors will let them go so far in supporting this.

10. avatar Huntmaster says:

In the relatively few short years I’ve been involved with firearms, the thing that bothers me the most, is that the biggest flaming assholes I’ve ever met, work in or own gun stores. It’s a shame that some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, are stuck working with them.

11. avatar former water walker says:

Wow how Springfield of them…I don’t bother buying ammo online. So many nasty “no sales to Cook Co.,IL”. Even though it’s legal in my town. I just buy all my ammo in nearby Indiana where I get deals. One wonders if these retarded Massachusetts scum have heard of the internet. Oh and God bless TTAG for fearlessly outing these cretins…

1. avatar Ironhead says:

Gotta move to dupage co. I order ammo online all the time. Also taxes are cheaper.

12. avatar Shire-man says:

I’ve no doubt their intention was to harm competitors. People in MA and CT are a miserable lot who hate themselves, distrust their neighbors and would beat their own grandmothers to death with a stone for $1.

They aren’t human. At least not recognisably so.

1. avatar Huntmaster says:

Even though people are fleeing Connecticut’s taxes and bankrupted economy like a house on fire, there are still over ten million people living in Connecticut and Massachusetts. I assure you, in spite of the communists, socialists, and all their degenerate brethren, there are still a good number of people living there who aren’t miserable, don’t hate themselves, distrust their neighbors (at least not all of them) nor are they inclined to beat their grandmothers with a stone for a dollar. And yes they are human and there are even some patriots among them.

13. avatar racer88 says:

As I watched the news story video, I couldn’t help marveling at what a different world (country) residents of Massachusetts (and similarly oppressive states – NJ, MD, NY, HI, CA) live in. The dramatic and hyperbolic language is actually comical to me, as a citizen who is free to exercise his Rights.

Need permission to buy AMMO?? LOL! A joke, right?

14. avatar joetast says:

I don’t need bullets or a gun, I’ve got 911 on speed dial

1. avatar John Smith says:

Good luck with that when your family is bring attacked and the police are only minutes away if you can get to a phone. It helps having strategically placed guns in your house so something is always nearby if the unthinkable happens. Now, I don’t live in fear, why should I?

2. avatar Big Bill says:

In order for sarcasm to come across well in print, it needs to be really over the top.

15. avatar Mark N. says:

Coming to California in 3…2…1…
    Beginning January 1, ammunition can only be obtained from a “licensed ammunition vendor.” (Anyone with an FFL is automatically a LAV.) Although internet sales are still technically legal, the ammunition must be shipped to a LAV and not directly to the buyer. The LAV can charge a fee for handling the transaction and for any storage charges related to holding it until the buyer shows up. Moreover, the LAV must agree to accept such shipments, and there is no mechanism to force them to do so; the odds that most FFLs will refuse to accept shipments is high since it will necessarily cut into their over the counter sales.
    At the time of sale, the buyer must present valid identification, and must report their address and phone number. I can’t remember if a fingerprint will be required. The LAV then make a computer check to verify that the buyer is not on the California list of prohibited persons (APPS) before completing the sale. Finally, the LAV must report to the CA. DOJ, on at least a weekly basis, all of the foregoing information along with a specification of the amount and caliber/gauge of all ammunition sold.
    Beginning July 1, 2019 (at least theoretically), an ammunition buyer must present a state issued ammunition purchase permit in order to purchase. The permit will cost $50, be good for five years, and will involve a background check. And the LAV will still have to run the purchaser’s name against the prohibited persons index.
    It is of course illegal to cross the border into Oregon, Nevada or Arizona to purchase ammo and bring it into the state in order to avoid the above requirements. It is, at first, only an infraction, but anything they catch you with, which could have cost quite a bit, will be seized.

Justin Gabriel isn’t the first gun store owner to sell us out. He’s just the latest in a long line of finks.

For the record, it is not illegal for a MA resident with an LTC or FID to buy ammo online. Now, go find an out-of-state seller who will ship to MA.

Go ahead. I’ll wait.

1. avatar pg2 says:

Exfuckingactly.

2. avatar pg2 says:

I’ve had a membership at the gun parlor, and if the price gouging range membership fees, price gouging ammo and firearm prices didn’t keep you away, hopefully this will. Never liked the place.

3. avatar Warlocc says:

That’s what I said further up. “You’re incorrect.”, they said. “Just search”, they said. Nobody found one.

4. avatar Ansel Hazen says:

Can’t blame the sellers. Why risk the hassle?

5. avatar Jim says:

I buy ammo online all the time Ralph. It is possible, they usually just ask for a copy of your LTC, you just have to know who will sell to you.

17. I need help to order my ammo from gun parlor fll and also get my license thank you

18. avatar Chris T in KY says:

What does the former governor William Weld have to say about this???? He is a proud libertarian. And will the Libertarian press ask him about it????
    No, they will cover for this libertarian fool.

For those key board commandos, it watched the John Stossle fox business channel libertarian presidential debate. And theres lots of You Tube video of Weld and Gary Johnson making the stupidest of statements.

1. avatar Ansel Hazen says:

Weld is a drunk. He was very convenient to use when pointing out the futility of the 2016 Libertarian ticket.

19. avatar BradP says:

Kinda like that one time that a gun blog let themselves be filmed using a bumpstock and then all the TV channels edited it and showed it with no audio. That was cool.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Gonna need some aloe for that burn.

20. avatar Durask says:

As a resident of MA, it is a vile commie state. Glad I also have property in NH, but leftists are oozing over the border 24/7 so NH is not safe either.

21. avatar Bubba Watson says:

I always pay cash for ammo and buy it at Walmart, Academy, or Cabelas-Bass. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Buying online may be cheaper but leaves a trail. Not that I would do anything bad, I just don’t want the Govt to show up some day to confiscate it all.

The Venezuelan Style USA is coming a lot sooner than you think. Democrats have been bulking up the ignorant peasant freeloader class for the last 50 years to be their goon army of suppression.

22. avatar Francis the talking mule says:

Does MA also have border check points where they check each vehicle for bullets bought out of state?

23. avatar Johnny108 says:

We got it worse in California, but, the drive to Nevada is really quite lovely…..

The rumor that if you show California ID in Nevada, and they will only ship it to an FFL holder in California is false. “I’m not a free clerk for the fucking California Government!” said one gun store owner I talked to.

Have grey hair? They won’t bother to card. Just use your passport, if you are worried- it has your place of birth, but not your place of residence, and it is valid ID.

24. avatar Drew Gmitro says:

I was born and raised in fellow “commy state” New Jersey. After 40 years, I finally moved to a real state, South Dakota. The problem with all these commy states, such as MA, CA, NJ, CT, MD, NY, and a few others, is that their leadership will never be satisfied until they get every other state to look like theirs, in terms of “gun control”. They blame all their gun problems on “adjoining states lackluster gun control laws”. Just open up any NY newspaper. You’ll read all about “the Iron road” that brings guns and ammo up the coast from states such as GA, SC, and FL for example. They want to change all other states to conform with their BS gun control. Now more than ever, we (gun rights) must stand strong. Support all gun rights organizations, whichever you prefer, and if possible, multiple organizations. Even here in SD, we’re feeling the heat from these gun grabbers. Unfortunately, with every new attack on innocent people, the media hypes these losers, giving more of these idiot’s the incentive to go out and “one up” the previous guy. It’s only going to become more common with every new event, meaning these gun grabbers are going to be emboldened to up the ante. Gun control is not the solution, it’s the problem.

1. avatar EzGoingKev says:

All the anti-gun states tout their tough gun laws every chance they can. Funny how it is a total different world when it comes to sentencing and releasing gun criminals.

25. avatar Parnell says:

NJ allows online ammo purchases but the Democrats just introduced a bill to ban it. Same
    s**t, different day.

26. avatar raptor jesus says:

Gotta pick mine up from an FFL for $5+tax.

People’s Republic of New York.

27. avatar AE says:

Of note, Mass, like DC, considered constituent parts of ammo, parts you can make ammo from, centerfire expended brass, primers, expended shotgun shells as ammo and transport laws

But also of note I know for sure you can have ammo shipped to DC, its perfectly legal and few of the large internet sellers will do it. Same with mass.,In both DC and Mass, it is 100% legal for an out of state seller to sell it and ship it to DC or mass

But a lot of people in the business, be they local gun stores, or large online sellers ABET the gun control nuts by spreading more FUD

This is no different that idiot firearms sellers like Palmetto State that will ship a handgun to a Maryland FFL but won’t ship the same one to DC FLL, even though DC uses the exact same list allowed handgun list. They are abetting gun grabbers by refusing to sell.