FN Announces New SCAR-SC Sub-Compact Carbine

SCAR-SC Sub-Compact Carbine

Over the last couple of years FN has been pushing their line of AR-15 rifles hard, but the firearm they’re best known for is their SCAR line of rifles. Intended as a replacement front-line battle rifle for the military, the SCAR has seen some success with special forces groups, but less widespread adoption by the general gun-buying public. Word comes today that FN is releasing a new, more compact version of their SCAR rifle, possibly in an attempt to lean into that special forces niche.

I know what you’re thinking: doesn’t FN already have a SCAR PDW? That’s technically correct. I’ve even fired one (and reviewed it), but it never went into full scale production. There apparently wasn’t enough of a market, and it was too costly to produce to have sit on the shelves.

The new SCAR-SC seems to fill that same niche and use some of the same engineering we saw in the PDW design. For example, the B&T style buttstock with the paddle release on the bottom and the non-reciprocating charging handle. The bad news: FN has no plans to import the SCAR-SC into the US, so you won’t be seeing one any time soon.

Here’s the FN Herstal press release:

New FN SCAR-SC Subcompact Carbine

At Milipol Paris 2017 FN Herstal, the world’s leading designer and manufacturer of small arms, will unveil an innovative addition to its renowned FN SCAR® family: The FN SCAR®-SC subcompact carbine.

FN SCAR rifles have a proud tradition of usage by US Special Forces. The 5.56x45mm (.223) caliber FN SCAR-SC builds on this heritage with an extremely compact design that’s ideal for homeland security operations.

Specifically adapted for mobility and flexibility, the FN SCAR-SC has semi-auto only or selective fire capabilities, non-reciprocating charging handle and a wide range of add-ons.

This includes a red dot sight, tactical light, a variety of foregrips and a sound suppressor. All of these add-ons have been tested and certified by FN Herstal as providing reliable, durable performance in even the toughest circumstances.

The FN SCAR®-SC comes with a telescopic buttstock as standard. Optional buttstocks include fixed, foldable, adjustable (length and height) with either concave or convex butt plate and a foldable offset buttstock for aiming and shooting with anti-riot or bulletproof helmet visor. Existing users of FN SCAR® will already be familiar with how to operate this rifle, minimizing training time.

Technical data (with telescopic buttstock):

● Length: 536mm (21.10”) when fully retracted / 653mm (25.71”) when fully extended

● Weight: approx. 3.150 kg (approx. 6.94 lb)

● Barrel length: 190.5mm (7.5”)

● Magazine capacity: 30 rounds

● Cyclic rate of fire: 550-650 rounds per minute

Other rifles in the FN SCAR® family include the FN SCAR®-L (5.56x45mm/.223) and FN SCAR®-H (7.62x51m/.308) rifles, featuring interchangeable barrels, the underbarrel or standalone FN40GL® grenade launcher and the FN SCAR®-H PR precision rifle.

The flexible and mobile FN SCAR®-SC and the entire FN SCAR® range can be viewed at FN Herstal booth no. L110 at MILIPOL Paris 2017, November 21-24.

No word on pricing or availability yet.

comments

1. avatar Hank says:

Price: $ 9,000.00.

1. avatar DDay says:

Nah, it won’t be $9k. If it were an HK, it’d be $9k

2. avatar Billy says:

Did FN change their slogan to “Because you suck, and we hate you”?

2. avatar Omer says:

I thought carbine was a 16” rifle. And this is a really expensive NFA toy. Seems to me they should have made it a pistol so the public could brace it at their discretion.

3. avatar Shire-man says:

So what does this mean for the abundance of “5.56 + 7.5 inch barrel = pointless range toy” opinions out there?
    Is FN marketing a pricey rang toy to SOF?

4. avatar ColdNorth says:

Apart from being really, really LOUD, I struggle to think of the advantages that this offers over a comparable PCC. Have they considered offering it in 300BLK?

Otherwise I can see this being the terror of restricted gun ranges up here in Canada. Hopefully the user keeps it a few lanes away from other shooters, and everyone remembers to double-plug.

1. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Certainly a 7.5″ barrel is one of the places where .300BLK makes a lot more sense than 5.56×45. “Why even offer it in anything other than .300BLK?” would be my question. Well, actually I know the answer to that – because people will buy the 5.56×45.

5. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I personally don’t foresee success, with this line. Also, their timing is probably not the best.

I love my FN products but their customer service seems a bit lackluster, to me.

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Honestly, I remember a lovely conversation about three years ago with FN and telling them they need to release the PDW with an SB Tactical brace.

I get the feeling that train has left the station at this point.

6. avatar Specialist38 says:

Modernized version of the MP5K.

If there was no NFA, I would buy one because……well…..because.

7. avatar BLoving says:

Alright.
    At least a few of you are thinking it. I’ll go ahead and say it:
    “SQUEEEE!!! Awww! Look at the widdle SCAR!!! Must have cute gun for my kid!!!”
    🤠

8. avatar AZgunner says:

Man I can’t wait to spend like $4k on a proprietary design that squeezes pistol terminal ballistics out of a rifle round.

9. avatar WI Patriot says:

Along the same lines, I’ll stick with the FN P90, lighter, more potent caliber, higher rate of fire, and the list continues…and to top it off, for a sidearm, I’ll take the FN Five-seveN, same caliber, same advantages…

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Plus, if it’s good enough to take down the Goa’uld menace, it’s good enough for you.

1. avatar WI Patriot says:

???

1. avatar 'Old Man' says:

Stargate SG-1. They used the P90 almost exclusively against the alien badguys.

10. avatar dwb says:

“less widespread adoption by the general gun-buying public”->At $2,700 + I cannot possibly imagine why that might be. It’s not like there are guns out there 1/2 the price and just as accurate.

11. avatar GoD says:

So this does exactly what more than a AR-15 Pistol for 489.00?

Even adding a folder or getting the AR without the buffer tube to make it just as short only adds a few bucks compared to this overpriced SCAR!!

Yeah the Scars suck ass too!

Another gun trying to fill a need that does not exist!