Double-Action Semi Pistols Have Become The Manual Transmission Of Handguns

The Beretta 92 is probably the most popular double action semi-auto in the world.

Not all that long ago, not knowing how to drive a stick shift was a statistical oddity. Plenty of automatic transmission cars were sold, but just about everyone learned to drive a car with a third pedal. Heck, it was even advantageous to have one; automatic transmissions usually had only three or four gears until the 1990s and a 5-speed manual got you marginally better gas mileage.

Then there’s the sheer fun of manually shifting gears. Nothing better than rowing gears on a back road, even if American carmakers didn’t seem to understand that whole “handling” thing until a few years ago (or that – in the case of Chevrolet – vehicles shouldn’t explode promptly at the 110,000 mile odometer mark).

Today, though, a manual transmission serves as a theft deterrent since almost no one under nobody under 50 knows how to drive them anymore.

Which brings us to the double-action trigger.

Up until the 1980s, there were precious few single-action pistols being made among manufacturers. There were 1911s, Browning Hi Powers, single action revolvers like the Colt SAA and its clones, and that was about it. (There were a few target pistols too.) Aside from that, double-action triggers were more or less the default layout.

Revolvers and semi-autos both had long trigger pulls, though semi-autos usually (except for DAO models) have the hammer cocked by the slide after each shot and therefore go into single-action after the first shot. This was advantageous from the standpoint that it prevented accidental or negligent discharges, which is also beneficial if carrying a pistol in a concealed carry holster.

Even police were well-served with the double-action trigger with fewer unintended discharges. But a long 10- to 13-pound trigger pull tends to result in firing only when it’s intended.

Today, however, the handgun market is dominated by the poly-striker pistol. Though technically not single-action (striker-fired pistols actually partially cock the striker when the slide is actuated, meaning they’re halfway between DA and SA) the plastic fantastics have light, short trigger pulls. Almost anyone can use one with ease.

Granted, a lot of those triggers are also rather “numb.” You just don’t get the feel with a striker-fired trigger you would from a revolver or old Smith & Wesson auto, a CZ 75 or a Beretta 92. It’s not the case (at all) that every DA/SA gun has an amazing trigger and the plastic guns are all bad. Quite the opposite in fact. It’s more that the longer, harder initial pull of a double-action gun requires a person to employ a bit of technique that a striker trigger just doesn’t, or at least doesn’t to the same degree.

Kind of like driving a manual transmission car.

Learning how to balance the clutch and the throttle on an incline is an art…though some people cheat and use the parking brake…as is gaining the sensitivity to know when the you’ve disengaged the clutch and can start accelerating. There’s a feel to it that’s impossible for someone who’s never driven one to appreciate. A manual also adds a certain something to the driving experience that an auto just doesn’t.

Similarly, a double-action pistol is something everyone should try, or better yet own at some point. You appreciate a short, light trigger pull even more and definitely begin to understand the importance of follow-through, something that matters a lot with a DA/SA pistol.

It was how our fathers and grandfathers learned to shoot, and just like the manual shifter, it’s becoming something of a lost art. However, there do appear to be just enough people out there who still prefer the old ways to keep both of them going.

Sam Hoober is a contributing editor at Alien Gear Holsters and Bigfoot Gun Belts. He also contributes regularly to Ammoland, Daily Caller and USA Carry.

comments

1. avatar Jm says:

CZ P09 FTW

1. avatar BLoving says:

Cap and Ball Single Action revolvers FTW.
      Need more shots? Carry two. 🤠

1. avatar formwiz says:

In the old days, they’d carry several cylinders because the open frame made it easy to switch out.

The original clip.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Only for the Remingtons. The Remingtons have a removable cylinder rod that allows removal of the cylinder rather quickly. The Colts not so much–you have to take the barrel off in order to remove the cylinder.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

Yes. And of course Remingtons did not have open frame.

2. avatar Shawn Graber says:

P07 here, I agree with your sentiment.

2. avatar Falcon 12 says:

Striker fired are not just the auto transmission they are the paddle shifters. I’ll always prefer the hammer.

3. avatar rdsii64 says:

I shoot a double/single simply because thats what I know. I carried the M9 during my time in the Marine Corps, and now own a PX4. I saw no reason to fix something that (for me anyway) wasn’t broken.
    All my long guns are AR platform rifles for the same reason.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

4. avatar DrewR says:

Used to have a S&W 5906 which had an excellent DA/SA trigger. Before that I had a Baby Desert Eagle in 9mm that had a decent DA/SA trigger. Don’t have any right now, though, I much prefer 1911s and DA revolvers.

5. avatar kenneth says:

Count me as one of them. I’m a DA trigger/ manual trans man all the way. Except for my soft spot for single action revolvers… and 1911s.

6. avatar =BCE56= says:

To me a DAO seems the best choice for a defensive sidearm.
    Handguns such as the Kahr, or concealed-hammer revolvers like the SW J frames can be brought into action quickly with a minimum of fumbling and little chance of accidental discharge.

7. avatar strych9 says:

I guess that being in my early 30’s and preferring everything the “over 50” crowd is supposed to have some secret squirrel knowledge of makes me a significant statistical anomaly. Same with a bunch of my friends.

I’m also pompous, arrogant and opinionated about it: if you can’t drive a stick you’re a fucking moron and probably about as useful as a shit flavored lollipop.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You’re an anomaly if possess said knowledge and you’re living in the mollycoddled coastal regions of the US.

Here in flyover country, youngsters who can’t drive a manual transmission (and who don’t possess & carry a pocket knife, among other things) are told in no uncertain terms that they’re about as useless as teats on a bull.

1. avatar Snatchums says:

Yes, you’re much more likely to find a person under 40 that can drive a stick here in flyover country. I learned to drive a manual transmission when I was 13, I know how to double clutch a non-synchro transmission, I can heel-toe downshift while braking, I can shift up and down without the clutch, and I learned to shoot with double action recolvers.

2. avatar strych9 says:

Never lived on a Coast and wouldn’t do so if you paid me.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

The Gulf Coast ain’t bad, but boy is it hot in the summer. Then there is Christmas where it is either still hot or literally freezing.

(I can’t subscribe to comments).

3. avatar Shawn Graber says:

Flyover states…that must be what it is. I’m 28 and thinking, “Which of my friends doesn’t know how to drive stick?” My wife knows how; and she’s 25. We live in Iowa, which is the place God made on Day 8.

To give credit to the article’s author, my handgun is a CZ P07. I’m starting to realize I just like more pedals on things.

1. avatar Snatchums says:

Go hop in a car from 1918 and wonder why there are 5 pedals!

4. avatar JeffInCa says:

I live in California. I own 2 Mustang GT’s, and an F250 4×4, and they all have manual transmissions. My girlfriend also owns 2 Mustangs ( A GT and a v6 ) and they’re both sticks as well. She’s never owned an auto car, and we only drive them when we travel and can’t rent a stick. We also prefer 1911’s.

Disclaimer: I owned an auto car once. I had a uppity girlfriend that refused to learn manual. She was crazy, and when she left, I sold the car.

5. avatar AdamTA1 says:

I don’t know if middle of NC counts as mollycoddled coastal regions or not but I’m mid 30s and every friend I can think of plus my wife can drive standard transmission. If my wife can learn anyone can. That lady needs directions to and from a place or she’ll get lost. No chance she can use the “To” directions to get back.

2. avatar 16V says:

“Learning how to balance the clutch and the throttle on an incline is an art…though some people cheat and use the parking brake…”

Ugh. The author apparently knows sweet FA about what he is opining to be lost knowledge. Unless you have a Subaru “hill holder” clutch, (or, what was it DG, Studebaker?) precedent, you use a basic technique known as the “heel and toe” – in which your right heel is on the brake, the ball of the right foot is on the go pedal, and the left foot is operating the clutch. You roll off the brake, while giving it the beans and releasing the clutch.

Slipping the clutch on an incline instead of using (either) brake? Beyond rank amateur. But I bet his mechanic loves him.

1. avatar strych9 says:

You can turn off the hill assist on all Subarus that I know of and older ones don’t even have it. My ’16 WRX has an option in the (sub, sub) menu to turn it off. Finding that and turning it to “off” was one of the first things I did in the dealership parking lot.

1. avatar 16V says:

A coupla Subies have had it since the mid/late-80s (though, like the system around since the 1930s, strictly mechanical). Was a popular feature in the 40s/50s, and as a simple hydraulic device, it was available at your local parts store as an accessory.

The recent-ish (temporary) return of the device as an electronic aid across a dozens or so makes, is/was an interesting development.

2. avatar samuraichatter says:

That seems harder than just learning how to drive stick. It is a change in mind set. Most people when they get behind the wheel of a car think go equals press pedal. When you make that switch that go means let out on the clutch your (at least mine did) starts become smoother with no stalls.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Driving a stick *well* forces your driving skills to improve. Given a choice, I strongly prefer manual.

It is a *delicious* physical sensation to know you are in *total* control of the vehicle, when it is literally an extension of your physical body.

And I got to experience that for the first time in a ’71 240Z with thick anti-sway bars front and rear, Bilstein shocks, and an aluminum flywheel. That aluminum fly demanded your *full* attention when working the trans hard through the gears…

3. avatar ORCON says:

I farted on a bear once and hit a beaver with a banana on the University of Montana campus while high on mushrooms (two separate events). I don’t know how that improves the conversation but I thought I’d share. Oh and I can drive stick.

8. avatar WRH says:

No one hand cranks their cars and women can wear pants in public. Time marches on. But seriously, DA revolvers are sweet.

9. avatar W says:

Total baloney.
    How about the author try some real NRA bullseye with his DA/SA and then with a Glock.
    Afterward, he can tell us which is the easier trigger to master.

1. avatar Ed says:

My Beretta FS96 has a WAY better trigger than my Glock 29….your point sir, is invalid.

1. avatar Ed says:

P.s. so does my FNX. I just carry the beretta more

2. avatar W says:

Thanks for proving my point. The Glock is harder to shoot real bullseye with. Hence mastering it is closer to the manual transmission, not the automatic.

1. avatar Ed says:

How is it that you think the glock with the finger dingle “safety” is closer to a manual transmission when a SA/DA will always either have a decocker or safety…or a como of both and two VASTLY different trigger pulls? Just because the factory trigger is shit and you have to learn that particular glocks crunch grit n jump trigger doesnt make it a more complicated system. Two distinct trigger pulls and a safety/decocker system sound more “manual” to me.

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I’m pretty sure that he’s not talking about bullseye competitions.

Correct. He’s talking about bullshit competitions.

10. avatar RockyMountain9 says:

I would argue that the manual safety falls in the same category. So many people who have only ever shot passive-safety-only striker fires insist that a manual safety will get them killed in a defensive scenario. The irony here is that this insistence and unwillingness to learn a manual safety is actually what would jeopardize them in such a scenario.

1. avatar Hank says:

Right, like throughout the past century of conflict soldiers haven’t been using weapons with typical safeties.

2. avatar kevin says:

I do laugh when my friends hit the mag release on my Springfield XD because they think it is the manual safety. I do like a manual safety though….

11. avatar George Young says:

I learned on a stick and went through a automatic phase, now back to driving a stick. You forgot to mention that you can replace a manual for about 1/4 the $$ of an automatic.
    I own some plastic guns, some come close… like the Walther PPQ M2 .45, but I’ll take my Sigs, HiPowers and 1911’s any day. I guess all you folks that can’t drive a stick can’t use your left thumb to cock a hammer either? Besides, if I ever run out of ammo with one of my heavy metal guns then I can always beat the bad guy to death with it.

12. avatar plasticfantastic says:

Personally, I went striker-fire because I didn’t want a manual safety, and was told that carrying condition 0 DA/SA is a bad idea. Is that not true?

The other alternative, of course, is carrying condition 0 with hammer forward, but then your first (and likely most important) shot is impeded by a terrible trigger pull.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Who gave you that bit of misinformation? Hammer forward is DA, and yes, the trigger is tougher, but it is easy with minimal practice to learn. The DA trigger IS a safety to lessen the risk of an unintentional trigger pull. Hammer back is SA–and you should have a manual safety if you carry that way, or may double damn sure that your holster covers the trigger.

2. avatar joetast says:

A woman I know doesn’t like the d.a pull either, but she likes the gun, she just cocks it single action

1. avatar Biggus Dickus says:

Tell her to practice firing DA a LOT because bad guys don’t always give you that spare second to cock it single action. Even if she never needs to use it at least she’ll have the skill. She can always cock it if she does have the time.

1. avatar Ardent says:

Not that it works well on all designs, or even that its optimal, but many years ago when I packed a Beretta 92FS around for a time I would generally carry safety off and hammer forward in DA mode and habitually thumb cock it on the draw with my strong side thumb. The 92 made this easy with its low slide and for my hand the beaver tail was a perfect rest for the ball of my thumb while cocking on the draw.

These days, with much experience on SA autos, I’d just carry the thing cocked and locked, but back then condition one didn’t feel right, but neither did that 4 mile DA trigger pull. Im not saying its the best way to handle DA autos, but with practice its fast and positive. I wouldn’t necessarily knock someone for doing it if they were good at it, and I doubt it was adding even a 100th of a second to my presentation.

Odd ways of doing things, things we would never attempt to train someone to do, can none the less be acceptable and effective for a given individual or circumstance.

13. avatar fteter says:

I’m a DA/SA guy myself…with a manual safety. It was how I was trained, so that’s how my mental and muscle memories work under stress. I’ve tried a plastic striker pistol. Nothing wrong with the pistol, but it’s just not for me.

14. avatar Matt O says:

I’ve only owned stick cars, and when it comes to driver-vehicle connection nothing beats a motorcycle, but i can’t think of a time a missed shift has ever been a danger to my life. A carried gun is a tool to protect life, and i want to keep it as idiot proof as possible, as i can assure you, I am an idiot. also, i’m under 30.

1. avatar Ed says:

You REALLY want to confuse someone….own a pre 1974 harley davidson and tell someone to take it for a ride….they all shift on the right side! Or, you can own an Indian and throttle and shift on the wrong side….

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

only true of shartsters and the italian harley aermacchis.

1. avatar Snatchums says:

Finally, that’s what the sound of a Harley-Davidson reminds me of! A wet, underwear destroying shart.

15. avatar Tom says:

Training, training, training……end of story

16. avatar Curtis in IL says:

My Toyota pickup has an automatic transmission but the shifter is in the center console where it belongs. That makes it easier to downshift to help slow me down or for extra torque when I need it. Best of both worlds.

1. avatar SouthernPhantom says:

Sounds like you drive the same truck I do. On many mountain roads, I just about drive it like a manual – having the ability to downshift for speed and torque control is massively useful.

17. avatar Av willis says:

A good source of information on getting the hang of double action is Beretta spokesman Ernest Langdon. He has a three part video series on mastering the first shot which is a great primer.

For myself, I’ve never had problems with the m9 I carry for work, and a g model px4 storm compact rides very well for me in the appendix position every day. In addition to the long trigger pull being an excellent safety device, you also have the benefit of having a hammer you can physically cover with your thumb as a way to pick up early something isn’t right.

18. avatar JDH says:

I used to have a Land Rover Discovery with a 5-speed manual. When in SF in some of the steep places like Pacific Heights I’d put it in low range. No problem taking off uphill without rolling back. I could start in 3rd gear.

19. avatar Mark N. says:

The two DA/SA pistols I’ve handled had, to me, very mushy triggers in SA mode that I did not care for. I bought my daughter an FNX .45, and it was just fine in double action–but then my EDC is a Kahr. But my daughter loved it. (Sadly, she was forced to sell that it recently in order to pay the bills.)

20. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

People ought learn all of the trigger systems out there. Specialization is the adaptation of insects, not humans.

FWIW, one of the very first striker-fired pistols out there was the Luger. It had a manual safety (and not an easily administered one, either), and some variants had a grip safety as well. Even then, the striker trigger mechanism left much to be desired in terms of “feel.”

1. avatar jwm says:

Exactly. You should be able to run all the common action types out there. From single action to the latest plastic fantastic. And all the major rifle and shotgun actions. Safe gun handling demands it if for no other reason.

When I use a semi auto pistol I prefer a metal gun with a hammer. But I own a plastic fantastic as well.

But my favorites are revolvers.

2. avatar Ardent says:

By DGs standard I was trained well early; by the time I was in my early teens I was comfortable with operation of all but the most obscure pistol actions and control schemes. I have to agree with DG, over emphasis on ‘muscle memory and such should not lead to avoiding different action types, and a well rounded shooter ought to be able to safely handle, load, unload and shoot all the common action/control types out there well enough to feel confident with whatever is available

21. avatar K says:

I carry a Beretta M9 for the navy and fucking hate the trigger, thumb safety, and just about everything else about the thing. Not a fan of DA/SA at all. Every pistol in my home is a striker (no glocks) and I doubt all ever buy one.

Oh and all 5 of my last cars have manual transmissions.

1. avatar Biggus Dickus says:

navy is a color. You meant Navy.

22. avatar former water walker says:

Yeah I’m in my 60’s and I learned to drive a stick early on. It’s fun until you’re in a traffic jam on the Dan Ryan(but learning to brake leftfooted is vastly superior). I also believe you need versatile skills. I’ve shot revolvers,hammer fired and own a couple plastic fantastic strikerfired handguns. I’m sure not going to diss anyone for their preferences…

1. avatar strych9 says:

If you spend enough time driving manual you forget about it in traffic. Shifting the car just becomes second nature.

I’ve never had an automatic and I suspect I never will.

1. avatar Snatchums says:

If you buy a new car in 10 years you will. Several manufacturers have said that they’re giving up on manual gearboxes altogether, the writing is on the wall, 3-pedal cars are a critically endangered species.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

It depends. After couple of hours of stop-and-crawl bumper to bumper traffic driving your clutch leg will start begging you for an auto transmission.
        And I didn’t even see a car with automatic transmission for my first ten years of driving.

3. avatar tiger says:

You will not have a choice. Very few cars have a Manual anymore, even as a option.

23. avatar Frank in VA says:

I drove manuals most of my life, in both cars and trucks. If I could go back in time and get my 2000 Tacoma SR5 4WD when it was brand new and bring it to 2017, I would drive that over any other truck. 4WD with manual-locking Aisin hubs, a manual 4WD transfer case shifter right next to the manual 5-speed tranny shifter. Same configuration as the ’93 I had before it. I would occasionally get passengers that looked down and saw two shifters, one long and one short, and were baffled by it. One of the most reliable 4WD systems ever made and it never failed to engage, even at 40 below. I would keep the manual front hubs locked for most of the winter in Alaska and just grab that transfer case shifter to jump into 4WD on the fly, up to 60mph at times. There was a technique to make it work smoothly. You had to ease up on the throttle for a split second to take the load off the transfer case, then pull that shifter back to 4WD high and it would pop right in with no complaint. I got to where I could do it fast. Saved my ass on the highway a few times when I hit stretches of black ice. I’ve been driving another vehicle with an automatic for nearly five years now, and I will admit the auto is nice in stop-and-go traffic. But you could drop me in any car with a manual today and I’ll bet I would still be operator as fuck.

1. avatar jwm says:

I have a 20 yo 4runner. Auto. I drive a lot of freeways here in the San Francisco bay area so I prefer the auto. It’s my daily commuter and weekend hunting, fishing, camping, gold panning vehicle.

I can’t say enough good things about its reliability.

2. avatar joetast says:

A farmer I worked for had an old IH grain truck. 4×4 transmission. Two stick shifts, one was high gears one low, total of 8. It was tricky. I was driving grain trucks at 12 years old, double clutching speed shifter I was, or I thot lol. . All of my pistols have hammers and safetys, even the .25

24. avatar Uncle Bobo says:

I am 30. Can drive a stick. And prefer a DA/SA M9 over anything else. Does that make me old?

1. avatar former water walker says:

Nah just competent😆

25. avatar Mad Max says:

I shoot the best with my P290RS’s (I have two) with their DAO triggers (maybe that’s because the P290Rs is my primary carry gun and I have 20,000 rounds through them). My backup is a S&W 649 revolver that I can shoot accurately with my weak hand.

I have a P225 and a P226 and like them but I don’t shoot them as good as the P290s.

I practice with all of them without ever manually cocking the hammer.

I also have a P320 sub-compact and I don’t like it at all. The trigger is so soft I’m afraid to carry a round in the pipe and I don’t shoot it very well (or it’s not very accurate). Also, no restrike.

26. avatar John Wallace says:

The best pistol is the one you are carrying and that you have fired 1000+ times. The worst choice is the pistol you bought and took the range the day you bought it and have never shot it again. Try a striker fired pistol and a DA and carry the one you shoot the best. The more horsepower the better, the more practice the better. I personally prefer DA pistols. Your mileage may vary.

1. avatar Hoyden says:

Lee Trevino’s advice on buying clubs–get the cheapest you can find, then hit 600 balls every day.

27. avatar aa says:

Yup, over 50 and drive a 5 speed manual most of the time. I carry a double action only revolver most of the time. That said I also have a striker fire compact that I carry during warmer weather and a drive 4 WD with an 8 speed automatic, when the weather isn’t so great. Each of these has it’s benefits, detractions and purpose. I suppose the lesson could be to learn to use as many of the available tools as you can. Then choose the tool that both fits your need and your experience. There isn’t anything wrong with a DAO handgun either semi-auto or wheelgun. Like a manual shift transmission they have to be learned and experienced to be appreciated.

28. avatar Hoyden says:

I hated semi autos early on, all the fiddly levers and buttons, and the slide coming at your face and then slamming forward.

Revolvers gave you one or two systems of ignition, both of which worked and worked well.

In 1986 I tried one of the early Glock 17’s. Still had a slab of steel trying to crawl up my hand, but NO FIDDLY levers. A reciprocating revolver with a really big cylinder of ammo. Also a wet bar of soap on a humid day.

Now that I’m almost as old as most dirt around here, I learned to live with (and use) the ricochet slab, and have a tendency towards the fiddly levers (1911, Sig), but appreciate all of the methods of triggering ignition.

However switching between “genres” gets worrisome, levers/no levers, mag release/ cylinder release, DIFFERENT GRIP TO BORE ANGLES (shooting Sig’s high after dancing with a plastic fantastic).

To me, the Glock has many attributes of classic cars; work on it yourself, parts are cheap and few, modify it if you want while allowing for modern attributes (3 safety’s like airbags, goes bang when asked, no need to modify, just change the oil and put in decent gas).

I’ve seen experts take down a 1911 with the mag lip as a grip screwdriver and no other tool, but I’m not so interested in pulling out my timing light, dwell/tach, and finding points and condensers at NAPA to keep my old as dirt classic running.

#curmudgeonButEagerToTryNewThings

29. avatar Specialist38 says:

Learned in a “3 on the tree” Chevy pickup. Pretty much drive anything after that .

Learned to shoot with SA and DA revolvers. Can shoot most anything.

I often carry a poly pistol for thier light weight, not thier triggers.

The only striker pistol with a “crisp” trigger by my estimation is a Ruger SR9.

Glock triggers make the SA on my Beretta 92 seems like a glass rod break.

The D mainspring make the 92s DA pull a little heavier than my LCR.

1. avatar Horacemann says:

Try a PPQ

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

I have . It is light but my SR9s breaks cleaner. They are not as light

30. avatar Horacemann says:

Try a PPQ

31. avatar Warlocc says:

Yeah, and computers are just a phase!

1. avatar Tim says:

Har har… but in this mass produced digital age we see a resurgence of craftsmen and high end hand made goods

1. avatar Snatchums says:

Oh it will be just a phase when an X-9 solar flare destroys every silicon integrated circuit produced since 1970.

32. avatar JoeinCT says:

I am 31 and I drive a stick. I also carry a DA/SA (HK P30SK) or a striker fired M&P 45c with a manual safety on it. I am competent with any style of transmission or fire arm. You just have to practice.

33. avatar rt66paul says:

Only the Sportsters had rt shift, like the European bikes. Even some of the Jap bike had shifter setups that could use either side. Those were easy to get used to, but the suicide shift(with mousetrap foot clutch) was not easy, especially if you couldn’t find neutral when stopped. You couldn’t put down your foot on the left because you need to put the clutch in…..

34. avatar Joe R. says:

FINALLY, a good looking pistol pic for the OP. 😜

What is dat velvet? Dat’s bootifull.

Seriously, is that a nice Brigadere?

DA / SA – IS WHERE IT’S AT.

It’ll save your life if you’re wrong on a quick-draw first shot, because you’ll feel the weight of the action, and you can back off if needed to. You don’t want a hair striker to make the final decision on a shot for you.

35. avatar Adam says:

I really despise when people romanticize manual transmission. Modern technology allows a computer to shift your gears much more efficiently than a human every could. Continuously Variable Transmissions has essentially made regular transmissions, both automatic and manual, obsolete. The only people I find that still complain about CVT are the self-described “driving enthusiasts” aka, those guys on the road that everyone else refers to as “douchebags”.

1. avatar jwm says:

Oh, no, you didn’t.

2. avatar Tim says:

You are completely missing the point. It’s not about absolute speed. Manual transmission requires a greater level of driver involvement and therefore enjoyment under the right conditions… like a back country drive, not a race track. If you’ve never driven manual you won’t ever get it.

My 2015 DSG is undoubtedly faster than my 2008 6 speed manual but they both deliver completely different driving experiences. DSG is an obvious choice for traffic but the manual is more fun on mountain roads.

1. avatar int19h says:

> Manual transmission requires a greater level of driver involvement and therefore enjoyment under the right conditions… like a back country drive, not a race track. If you’ve never driven manual you won’t ever get it.

Have you considered that said involvement does not translate to enjoyment for everyone? Some of us are just not into BDSM.

(And yes, I have driven manual. I had to, to get my driver’s license, in another country.)

3. avatar Publius says:

Found the kid who’s too lazy to do anything himself!

Try learning how to drive a manual and you’ll understand why enthusiasts prefer it.

4. avatar Joe R. says:

“Continuously Variable Transmissions” (CVTs) are CRAP in their current form. Most of the products on the road Nissan being the ~ ‘best’ incarnation in major production and those in products like the JEEP Patriot have crappy cooling systems that plug up with the particulate sludge from the transmission’s components and they ALL eat their own ass.

I drive an automatic, but I can and do appreciate a standard transmission, and NOTHING will likely ever milk what you want out of a powerplant and drive train like you telling a manual transmission exactly what you want it to do. Plus, who doesn’t appreciate the “push-start” option.

5. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Computers can draw pictures, too. But painting still has its place.

Computer controlled transmissions can make the vehicle more efficient. That’s not the point. Manual transmissions allow the driver to decide whether he wants efficiency, torque or responsiveness. The computer may know that you’re on a 20 degree incline but it doesn’t know what’s around the next bend.

36. avatar Bob says:

Manual Transmission is only worthwhile on anything limited to two wheels and an engine between your legs. Cages should stick to being automatic. You aren’t doing anything worth a damn in a car anyways except listening to music.

Miss my Ninja….. want another.

Oh, Beretta is the best DA/SA pistol on the market.

1. avatar jwm says:

Not worth a damn in a car? Saturday night. The back row of the drive in. The back seat.

Need I say more?

2. avatar Tim says:

You sound ridiculous. Obviously bikes are faster but there are many great manual cars

1. avatar Joe R. says:

And you can bring home three bags of groceries.

37. avatar Publius says:

I love hammer fired handguns…but I’d never consider using double action mode in an actual defensive situation. Between the insanely long trigger pull that requires freakishly long fingers to do properly and the sudden massive increase in pressure required right before the gun fires, it’s way too much of a pain in the ass to not be end up jerking it to the side when firing.

38. avatar Mmmtacos says:

I love manual cars and DA/SA guns.

That being said, while I love our 2000 TJ with it’s five speed manual transmission and I love my Beretta 92FS in a different but equal fashion I also love the automatic 2015 F150 we just got and my new M&P9 M2.0.

I know how to use the tech of olde (hell, the F150 is the first automatic vehicle I have owned in 12 years, and I am 32) there’s something to be said of the ease and convenience of modern tech.

39. avatar Joatmon says:

I prefer hammer fired but own a few strikers as well. Competent with both and carry both.
    As for manual transmission, the car I own now is the first auto trans I’ve had in about 15 years. Prefer stick but can drive either.

40. avatar GS650G says:

I like to work my Colt official police DA. It’s pretty accurate in its own right and not bad DA. The secret is in the grip, it fits my hand well.

My Astra A100 is a DaSa automatic and the trigger is pretty sloppy in AS . I do drills where I DA then go S.A. for 3 more rounds. That’s how a draw and fire would go.

41. avatar MilitantCentrist says:

I only tried a Beretta 92 once at the range and that was enough for me. I find the safety+decock standard layout utterly bewildering. Redundant and not in a good way.

Sig got this more-right on their pistols with decocker-only in my opinion. I also like the HK’s that let you choose single action on manual safety OR decocked double action, though I’ve read criticisms of this, too.

42. avatar Adam says:

I love my DA/SA Sig platform and my manual transmission Chevy SS sedan.

(I also love my 1911, revolvers, and striker fired)

43. avatar Sam Wodz says:

I have never actually heard of a double action pistol until reading this article, so I will most definetly have to give it a shot *wink wink*. Although I disagree with your statement on on one under 50 knowing how to drive manual. Most of those car enthusiasts in their late teens and early 20’s lohe driving manual even in the modern day.

44. avatar David says:

First car I ever had was a manual (’87 Dodge RAM D50), and that includes a granny gear 4 speed on ’56 Chevrolet dump truck, at the time my family didn’t own an automatics. The best trigger I’ve ever squeezed was on a CZ P07 Duty, and now I have a mid nineties CZ75 as well as a Smith and Wesson model 19 in the safe. I guess I like doing things the old way sometimes. It seemed simpler.

45. avatar SparkyinWI says:

I would say this is not accurate though: “”This was advantageous from the standpoint that it prevented accidental or negligent discharges, which is also beneficial if carrying a pistol in a concealed carry holster.””

A double action pistol is not a reason for less negligent discharges. And having a striker is not a reason for more. If folks are having negligent discharges with striker pistols it is because of poor training and poor safety habits. Clearly they are for certain violating the rule that tells us to keep our bloody finger off the trigger until we are on a target and have made a conscious decision to shoot that target. The late Pat Rogers talked about this in an article I saw a few years back, the wanting to blame negligent discharges and other things on the equipment and call that equipment not safe. As he said….. no it is the user who has poor training and unsafe habits that is the real cause.

It might well be that some folks were used to riding the trigger on a DA/SA pistol as it was heavier and seemed safe to them. And yes doing that on a striker will likely lead one to a very high chance of a negligent discharge. That is not the striker pistol’s fault and does not make it less safe. That is poor shooter training and worse, poor shooter adherence to the four safety rules. My experience has shown me that folks who constantly violate one of the rules typically also violate one or more of the remaining three rules.

Pat Rogers also said that the only accidental discharge is when there is a true mechanical issue with the firearm. Every other one is a negligent discharge and was preventable as the shooter for sure violated the rule of having their finger on the trigger when it should not have been.

46. avatar mark s says:

In my humble opinion , the old DA/ SA ( P series ) Ruger’s were perfect , rugged , reliable , big , heavy , fairly accurate , adjustable and the triggers were just less than good to good . I am a proud owner of more than one .

47. avatar PeterK says:

Hey whoa. I made it a life goal to learn to drive stick. Only 33 here tyvm.

Although I look around my age group and have to agree that you’re right. :/

48. avatar int19h says:

That’s an asinine comparison. DA/SA guns are not any more difficult to shoot than striker guns – pull the trigger, it goes bang. Yes, it does mean your first shot is going to be significantly less accurate (unless you cock it), but that’s a difference in specs, not in difficulty.

49. avatar Mikial says:

Great article. My wife swears by her Beretta 92 and is damn good with it, and I love my Jericho 941. We both also like our 1911s at the range, but I carry a Glock when I can and a DA only pocket pistol when I have to.

Learn to use them all, and by all means learn to drive a stick. There’s nothing quite like it, especially in off-road or performance vehicles.

50. avatar Charlie says:

I not only drive a stick, I prefer it! I’m not going into all the details, but if you call yourself a man and you drive a vehicle with an auto tranny, then you’re a pussy. Nuff said!

I also strongly prefer a DA/SA semi handgun for much the same reason. It gets the job done with minimal fuss and lack of accuracy.

Charlie

51. avatar TommyJay says:

Never owned an automatic car, and I just bought my first 6 speed model.
    Love my new CZ-75B and Walther P-22.

Though Mr. Hoober should realize that my Springfield XD is a 100% SA striker firearm. I didn’t initially realize that Glocks were different in that regard, even though I had shot one once. It is interesting that Glock felt the need to go for that partial DA trigger action.