“Goodies Not Guns” Encourages Kids Not to Wear Violent and Bloody Halloween Costumes

Goodies not guns (courtesy facebook.com)

“We live in the South where hunting and fishing is more prevalent,” Amanda Hanig tells kticradion.com. “It’s our [Second] Amendment right to bear arms and to have a weapon. I don’t think anyone is arguing that . . . but if you’re going as a soldier as a 7-year-old, you don’t necessarily need to have an AK47 strapped to your back.” And so the couple wants parents to ban their kids from wearing “violent and bloody” costumes on Halloween.

“We’re not trying to tell people not to own guns,” Hanig said. “We’re just trying to say consider not sending your kids out with violence. I realize that it’s all in fun, but if we teach kids that guns are fun, what are we teaching them?”

We’re teaching them…that guns are fun? Which, let’s face it folks, they are, when used safely and responsibly.

As of this writing, one person is interested in Goodies Not Guns Facebook invite with zero going. This despite the inevitable media coverage, complete with support from the usual suspects (who are kicking themselves that their high-priced PR consultants didn’t come up with the idea first) . . .

Goodies Not Guns has already received support from Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, a school district in North Carolina with 12,000 students.

Approved costumes posted on Goodies Not Guns Facebook page (courtesy facebook.com)

“Thank you to the parents in our community who created @goodiesnotguns to promote safe costumes without weapons,” the district tweeted Thursday . . .

The Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence, a national non-profit organization that advocates gun control, also tweeted its support. “Shout out to local gun violence prevention advocates for working to promote safety in their communities,” they wrote Friday.

Gun violence prevention advocates or politically correct killjoys fighting another losing battle in the culture war against guns? We report, you deride.

comments

“if we teach kids that guns are fun, what are we teaching them?””

The truth, for a change.

1. avatar daraholsters says:

I agree… this article is about a group of people about 20 miles away from me. All of the surrounding towns are kind of embarrassed. I understand wanting your kids under a certain age to not be something gross or scary, but what if they wanted to be a Police Officer or Army dude… where is the line drawn?

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

At guns, apparently. It’s obviously not violence. They have a picture of the Hulk. He just goes around destroying things on a scale that almost certainly kills people. (Innocent people definitely died in the Avengers movies).

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Yes, I wanted to point out the same thing. As long as the violence is commited without guns, it’s perfectly acceptable. Even uncontrolled anger raging monster like Hulk. But god forbid to admit to kids that guns are cool and fun. Slowly brain wash next generation into thinking that guns are something to be shunned. Hence the ‘gun violence’ focus of gun grabber groups and media. Almost as if they had an agenda to push or something.

2. avatar clst1 says:

When I was 7 I learned that “Guns are fun”, and now 70 years later, guns are still fun.

3. avatar dwb says:

Halloween without blood and gore is not Halloween. smh

1. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Somebody better tell Hollyweird 😀

4. avatar EJQ says:

And I was planning to have some fake raw meat for the Zombies. Guess that’s fine…oh, wait, that’s bloody.

5. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Killjoys.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Wouldn’t work – they use guns all the time. Especially D’av and Dutch.

1. avatar Stereodude says:

*rimshot* 😀

6. avatar No one of consequence says:

And the Incredible Hulk is an exemplar of non-bloody non-violence. Right.

7. avatar The Punisher says:

Wait, wait. Is that a little Hulk I see?

What does Hulk do? SMASH.

Violent.

1. avatar Falcon 12 says:

Also, he’s only the hulk when he’s pissed off.

8. avatar Roymond says:

Reminds me of a kid at the door last Halloween who was in a perfectly fitted little three-piece suit, who claimed to be the scariest costume in his bunch.

I had to ask, and he told me, “I’m a bank lobbyist”.

1. avatar dwb says:

yeah, ok, that is indeed pretty scary.

1. avatar Ogre says:

Almost as scary as if the little kid had said “I’m a lawyer.”

1. avatar TrappedInCommiefornia says:

Or the most terrifying of all “We’re from the government and we’re here to help.”

2. avatar Yellow Devil says:

When I was a teenager, a friend and I went around one Halloween dressed up in black suits with white shirts and ties. When people asked what we were supposed to be, we said “IRS auditors”.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“When people asked what we were supposed to be, we said “IRS auditors”.”

Damn, you’re lucky you didn’t get shot!

Look, I’m all for non-violent Halloween costumes for the females.

Just make it as slutty as possible and you’ll be *fine*… 😉

9. avatar MamaLiberty says:

The best costume I ever saw on a “trick or treat” kid was a full blown cowboy outfit, complete with two six shooters and double holsters. They were obviously cap guns (this was long ago), and I seem to remember a bunch of the other children with various forms of fake swords, spears, bows/arrows and long guns. Nobody was traumatized and nobody got hurt.

But Halloween is no longer as much fun either, and I’m not sure it is safe any longer – even if they go out with armed adults. A lot of places now forbid children to go door to door, offering school and community parties instead. And when those are held at a school, you can bet your boots that no fake “weapons” will be tolerated. Hmmm, I wonder if “cat woman” will have to surrender her fake claws at the door…

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

MamaLiberty,

I am dressing up as an Old West sheriff for this Halloween! My ensemble includes a large white cowboy hat, red bandana, gray shirt, sheriff badge, jeans, boots, spurs, and of course 1860s replica single-action revolvers (in .22 LR) in holsters for my left and right side on a gun belt.

I am still hoping to find a string tie at the last minute!

I imagine it will actually look really nice!

1. avatar johnny108 says:

Use black 550 cord, or black leather shoelace for the string.
        Painted bottle cap for the slider. Hot glue gun, and a small paperclip to hold the string, and be adjustable.

2. avatar JasonM says:

If that was Fayetteville, NC in the early ’80s, that might have been me.
      My costumes as a kid included cowboys (with twin cap guns), CHP officers–CHiPs was a cool show to a seven year old (complete with a plastic revolver), soldiers (with a plastic M-16 that made sparks and rattle noises when I pulled the trigger), and a pirate (with a plastic flintlock and cutlass). The only costume I can remember that didn’t have a gun was Batman.

10. avatar Jim says:

All kids should dress as Satan.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Aw come on. If they all dress like her, they’ll be subjected to far too many Bill jokes.

1. avatar ORCON says:

A-hyuck. 😀

11. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

Just the latest offensive volley in the Left’s assault on everyone else’s rights, freedoms, and fun.

I’ll call them a stick in the mud, to be nice, but we all know where their stick is really stuck.

12. avatar Hank says:

Coolest Halloween costume I ever saw: young man, must have been in his late teens. Had a FULL on set of Roman armor and uniform. Shield, sword, helmet, sandals, torso armor, all of it. Real metal, wood, and leather. Sword was real with a bone handle and looked functional. Looked like he just walked out of the legion.

1. avatar Roymond says:

A guy knew my first year in college wore the same one year. On impulse, I whipped up a monk’s costume from the third century and we went together — he pretended to be persecuting me.

13. avatar Parnell says:

I remember one Halloween in my upper-middle class, mostly white suburb. Every boy in the Halloween parade was dressed as GI Joe and had a toy M16. They were very respectful of NJ gun laws. No one had a mag of over 15 rounds,
    none had a flash hider and no one had a “shoulder thing that goes up”.

14. avatar MiketheHopsFarmer says:

The original Yahoo article still hasn’t been corrected. Second to last paragraph lists them as “Guns not Goodies”! I like it better that way. https://www.yahoo.com/gma/parents-create-goodies-not-guns-discourage-violent-halloween-212405740–abc-news-Halloween.html

15. avatar Brandan says:

One year when I was around 10 (if memory serves) my brother and I went as IRA terrorists, complete with plastic assault rifles, ski masks, OD fatigues and thick Irish accents. I shudder to think what would happen to two hellions who did that today.

Don’t worry, I’m about 15% Irish Catholic…so it’s not cultural appropriation.

16. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

“…sending your kids out with violence. ”

Oh, ffs. Toy guns aren’t violence.

17. avatar Roymond says:

I wonder what they’d make of the batch of middle school kids here (when I was in high school) who decked themselves out as French Revolutionaries, a peasant, and a nobleman and went around the neighborhood dragging a nicely faked guillotine with them and staging ‘executions’.

18. avatar DrewR55 says:

“Don’t dress in a costume associated with another ethnic group because that’s cultural appropriation.”

“Don’t dress like a super hero because that just reinforces the masculine patriarchal hegemony and white supremacy.”

“Don’t dress in a costume associate with a violent character.”

“Here’s a nice kitty cat costume, everyone should dress like kitty cats.”

“Better yet, don’t celebrate Halloween at all because it is insensitive to other cultures. Celebrate a Fall Festival.”

1. avatar Brandan says:

Celebrating fall festivals in October is biased against the transplanted and oppressed peoples of the southern hemisphere! Seasons are a social construction!

Its best not to celebrate anything, ever.

2. avatar Rusty Chains says:

How about we call it Samhain. Lots of us are Irish or at least we call ourselves Irish for St. Patrick’s Day that way it isn’t cultural appropriation!

3. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

If I was in college these days, and I got one of those “don’t dress offensive” letters, I would dress in 20s Vaudeville black face with a watermelon because I can’t think of anything more offensive on the racist/cultural appropriation spectrum.

19. avatar Killjoy says:

My 9 year old is going as a waste lander. Complete with working gas mask and his toy glocks. Let someone tell my kid or me we are wrong.

20. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Every year I strap on my boots, hat, and pair of Ruger six shooters on my cartridge belt, and sit out in the drive where my daughter and I give out candy. Nothing healthy, the all sugar and chocolate kind. Last year we lost count at about a hundred and twenty kids, and that was on a school night! At least around here, Halloween is alive and well!

1. avatar Roymond says:

I gave out 89 pieces of candy last year — and we try to pretend we’re not home!

The most we ever had on a Halloween was well over two hundred. That was the year my little brother dressed up as a headless soldier in my great-grandad’s WWI uniform and my older brother attached super-bass speakers to the underside of the porch to make it rumble. Despite the fact that he scared gobs of little kids out of their wits, word got around and a lot of kids came just to get scared.

What today’s anti-gunners wouldn’t be able to grasp is that he had a real WWI infantry rifle as part of the costume, but not a single person was scared by/of the gun. The scare came when he stood up and picked up the jack-o-lantern from the porch rail and aimed it at whoever he was talking to as the porch rumbled — until he moved, most people thought he was a decoration.

21. avatar ORCON says:

*WEEEWWOOOO WEEEEWWOOOO WEEEWWOOOO*

We are the No-fun Police and we demand you cease and desist all fun activities this very instant!

22. avatar zombietimeshare says:

“promote safe costumes without weapons”

So dressing up as Harvey Weinstein will be okay? The costume can be a bathrobe and bottle of massage oil—for additional effect wear a shower cap. Nothing dangerous or threatening about that.

23. avatar MiniMe says:

Libtard hypocrites continue to push for the pussification of America.
    Now there’s a surprise, not.

24. avatar Noishkel says:

Never mind that childhood obesity is at record levels… gotta virtua signal!

25. avatar joetast says:

Howloween used to be my favorite. Did anyone notice, ” Dress like a soldier with an AK47 strapped across their back” ,. ,,,. What army is that kid in? Oh bahaha, two years ago I dressed up like a zombie ( I got one eye and all scarred up from a car wreck, so I’m pretty scary looking without the makeup), I wait for the Kidd’s and jump from behind s bush with a sword, lol one little girl got so scared she peed her pants, what a hoot, the mom didn’t think to much about it, but the dad got a laugh.

26. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

Yeah… This makes a lot of sense. Instead of being a cowboy with a gun, maybe they could just dress little Johnny up as a car or a truck.

After all, it’s not like anybody would use a car or a truck to do anything viol… … oh, never mind!

🙄

27. avatar former water walker says:

When I was a lad some 50 to 60 years ago we’d go out in costume unescorted on dark streets for many hours. Fill up a pillowcase and not be assaulted or fed razorblades. And we had really cool toy guns. Reality SUCKS…😫

28. avatar Stereodude says:

I think it was the last time I went trick-or-treating probably around ’92 or ’93 my friend and I went out as PLO terrorists. We had cardboard tube bazooka’s and had fun shooting bottle rockets at groups of other kids from them. Especially the ones who thought we were the ninja turtles. 😀

And, no one got offended when we told them we were PLO terrorists either.

29. avatar Johnny108 says:

Wanna know the most disturbing thing I saw during the Presidential election?
    (No, not my browser history!)
    It was when Hillary lost; not the videos of supporters crying (“eye candy”), but the pictures of little kids crying.
    Some were having full on panic attacks.
    Why?
    Because mommy and daddy had programmed them that the “4th Reich” would arise if Trump won. They would
    be put into camps with tattooed numbers on their arms, because they had “2 mommies” or “2 daddies”, etc.
    Holy Fuck!!
    They’re kids, people!! Let them be kids!! I didn’t pay attention to elections until I was 16 or so!
    The kid is trying to choose a costume that is “cool” for their age/peer group! They are not in training for some
    violent outburst!!
    Stop putting your preconceived notions, agendas, and bigotry into your kids head, and let them be a kid!!