Get A Grip! Guns for Beginners

Mike Seeklander demonstrates how to build a proper handgun grip (courtesy youtube.com)

I’ve seen a lot of firearms training videos. Wilson Combat’s Going Tactical Episode 03 – Mastering The Two-Handed Grip below is about as good as it gets. Gun guru Mike Seeklander offers simple and effective instruction on the deceptively difficult art of holding a handgun. If you learn nothing else from this . . .

Heed his warning not to “under-grip” your gat. Don’t hold it. Grip it. Grip it good.

comments

1. avatar Clark45 says:

“Grip it. Grip it good.”

Great, now I’ve got a Devo song stuck in my head…

1. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

And that’s a bad thing? Are we not men? Don’t you know it’s a wiggly world you blockhead.

You sound like a Mongoloid.

I’m sorry. It was a Gut Feeling. Or maybe I had an Uncontrollable Urge.

2. avatar SkyMan77 says:

Hey…When a problem comes along you must whip it … I say whip it whip it good…

2. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

I’ve always liked his training materials. Generally practical, not too much tacticool.

Marine combat vet, LEO, federal LEO instructor, competition shooter. I’d call that a pretty well rounded background.

3. avatar SkyMan77 says:

GREAT Video… Mike Seeklander is by far one of the best and a fantastic Teacher!!!

I was just going over this with my Family last weekend… We’ll be watching this together later today…

Carry on TTAG!!!

4. avatar troutbum5 says:

Hope he doesn’t pull the trigger with his thumb behind the slide. That might smart a bit.

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…I did that – once.

*8)

5. avatar Swarf says:

Okay, that was actually quite helpful without being so Gung Ho bark bark that I can’t show it to people new and/or a bit intimidated by firearms and gun culture.

Anyone have links the next two videos he mentions?

6. avatar Mark Horning says:

Interesting…

Never heard of the “counterrotating” grip technique over the push-pull technique. Just grabbed a 1911 out of my safe, it feels… odd.

7. avatar DaveInAK says:

I’ve taken classes from Mike. He is an excellent instructor. Do as he says. It works.

8. avatar NWGlocker says:

Great content from a great instructor/trainer/professional. Notice he doesn’t even sweep the camera

9. avatar Peashooter says:

He lost me at irregardless.

10. avatar TRONE ABEETIN says:

TOO LONG, DIDN’T WATCH. NOW SUCH WORD AS “IRREGARDLESS” OR “ANYWAYS”. BTW YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A PROFESSIONAL TO TRIM THAT VAN DYKE, IT’S LOPSIDED.

11. avatar joetast says:

That was good. However I’ve watched several vids on how to grip your gun and none have ever used the ” cowboy” bullet throw, old western movies show this technique quite often. You grip the gun anyway you can, start with the handgun held parallel to your head and sling the handgun forward while pulling the trigger at the same time, in essence, throwing the bullet at your intended target.

1. avatar ProfessorManque says:

Just another of the 71% of dumb white guys who voted in this Gump making us the laughing stock of the world… most of yall talk like an amalgam of Mike Tyson and Archie Bunker, near-gibberish…