Check Out the Energy Transfer in This Quartz Shotgun Shell

Who’s ready to watch the craziest energy transfer in a shotgun shell? Time for another experimental ammo mind blow, courtesy of Wide Open Spaces video contributor Taofledermaus.

This time he’s concocted some slugs made with quartz, and show us what happens when you shoot them at a few different targets. Hard to believe a slug with one quarter the weight of a typical one carried that much heft downrange.

comments

1. avatar little horn says:

ads ads and more ads

2. avatar Swarf says:

Fuck your autoplay bullshit.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Maybe it’s your computer settings. Doesn’t happen to me.

3. avatar Jawjuh says:

A. Ads pay for this site.
    B. You need a different browser and plug-ins. Mozilla’s Firefox: no autoplay, no problem.
    C. 🙂

1. avatar Swarf says:

I have all of those things on laptops, but this is my phone, and Mozilla doesn’t support add-ons for iOS,

It being my phone makes the autoplay even more obnoxious.

So, thanks, but get bent.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

This. iOS is awesome, but there’s some things that need fixing.

4. avatar CGinTX says:

Just wanted to say I really dig the autoplay – it’s neat to see the videos and such a relief you’ve found a way to make them play with the audio off, which avoids the hassle of autoplay for me. The sputtering outrage and red-faced bloviation of the offended is just a bonus, but it’s always something predictable to look forward to.

5. avatar HatesAutoplay says:

Fun fact if you block “content.jwplatform.com/players/” the video dies…………. forever. Less fun fact, not easy to do on a mobile device where bandwidth costs $$$$$.

6. avatar MyName says:

Hey guys, look at this! I made a shotgun slug with substantially less energy the one I could have bought, cheap, at my local mega-mart. Cool, right!?

7. avatar Sam I Am says:

I thought STB demonstrated decisively that “energy transfer” for a bullet is a non-factor in analyzing the effectiveness of any self-defense round.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

Maybe I’m having a brain fart here, but…
      I know several things STB could stand for (Surface Transportation Board, Set Top Box, etc.), but I can’t think of one for this particular reference.
      Could you help me out, please?
      Thanks.

And could TTAG help me with my “Notify me of follow-up comments by email” failure?

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“I know several things STB could stand for…”

My fault. STB seems to be a familiar reference to “Shooting The Bull”, a guy who did pretty definitive ammo testing for .380 and 9mm pocket pistols. He also did some testing on large caliber ammunition. You can find his testing in three places:
        this blog has detailed data about .380 testing, and blog discussions about certain myths of self-defense ammunition

these are not being updated as the fellow behind STB moved to….

this location is awkward in that the videos cannot be sorted by title or date. STB moved most of his previous testing to full30, and a couple of new ones. He has been quiet (doing his real job) for some time. STBs tests usually appear here as a new posting. STB is friends with the TTAG folks.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

Thanks.

2. avatar Roymond says:

That energy transfer is important can be demonstrated by reducing it to zero: no energy transfer, no damage;no damage, no stopping the threat.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

The energy of something with the cross section of a bullet is not “stopping power”. The mythical “energy dump” does nothing to stop the threat. Energy translates to penetration. Energy zero will equal penetration zero. There is a point where energy can be a stopping power. A heavily swung baseball bat will transfer energy in a much larger cross section than a bullet. You will likely see an attacker stopped immediately (though likely temporarily) when receiving the full force of a “home run” hit from a bat. But attackers can still reach you, regardless of the energy, if the bullet does not penetrate properly, destroy a vital organ, or produce an instant disconnect between the brain and the rest of the body. Evidence of the myth of energy as “stopping power” of a bullet can be seen at the link below. Consider, muzzle energy of a .45 bullet is ~500ft/lb.

8. avatar Mark N. says:

I wonder what this would look like with an epoxy binder.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

I’m inclined to think it will want to stay together and behave as a low-density projectile. I’ve wondered (but have had *zero* interest in experiencing) what the impact of a common wine cork from a 12 ga. scatter-gun would be like.

If I lived where I was concerned with over-penetration, I’d consider something like this for home defense.

That slug would make a *nasty*, dirty wound for surgeons to have deal with…

1. avatar Roymond says:

Exactly right, Geoff; making the round solid with an epoxy would just give you a low-density projectile — and wine corks make a great thought-illustration of what that means.

9. avatar Arc says:

First ads and autoplay, now clickbait.

10. avatar ozzallos says:

I expect a higher quality blog if I’m being forced to put up with this level of eyeball spam. Sorry, TTAG. You’re not that good. Back in the NoScript bin for you.