Question of the Day: How Cynical Are You?

I’m the son of a Holocaust victim. I was raised in the full knowledge that there are evil people in this world. I grew up in Rhode Island. I was fully aware that there are evil people (e.g. murderous mafiosi) in my world. I never once thought they could legislated or policed out of existence. I eventually came to realize that I was responsible for protecting myself and my loved ones from people who would intimidate, injure and/or destroy us. With a smile on their face and a song in their heart . . .

Does that make me cynical? Oh yeah, I’m cynical. In fact, I believe you can’t always tell who’s good and who’s evil, and good people can become evil. So I assume that everyone is a potential enemy.

Gun control advocates consider [armed] people holding this view paranoid. They pity — and let’s face it — fear us. (Note: gun control advocates don’t “do” irony.)

Me? I couldn’t give a flying f. I’m Texas friendly and happy as Larry with my mindset. A mindset that almost requires carrying a firearm for self-defense.

How about you? How cynical are you? How does armed self-defense play into your view of other people?

comments

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“How cynical are you?”
    – Completely; in all respects

“How does armed self-defense play into your view of other people?”
    – ‘Be polite to everyone, and have a plan to kill them.’
    – – couldn’t help it; open door

1. avatar Darkstar says:

Pretty much sums up my view.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Ditto on Sam I Am.

Older I get, the more cynical I get.

But there are *brief* flashes of sunlight, however. Check this out, from the New York Times a few min. ago:

“The Terrifying Power of Internet Censors”

PwrSerge was right, Google, F-Book, YouTube, et all, *must* be treated like utilities and regulated as such…

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

“… Google, F-Book, YouTube, et all, *must* be treated like utilities and regulated as such…”

Well, Google, FaceBook, YouTube, Apple, etc. all love extremely invasive/intrusive Big Government micromanaging our lives — turnabout would be fair play.

Saying it another way, those Technology companies are demanding Big Government and they should get it shoved down their throats just like the rest of us.

1. avatar Robert says:

Amen.

2. avatar Swilson says:

Cynical, no. Realistic, yes.

3. avatar JDC says:

I do not believe that thinking people are evil is cynical. It is a fact.

1. I agree. You eventually learn what you can expect from certain people and I’m happily surprised when something good happens.

2. avatar Nigel the expat says:

Prepare for the worst.

Hope for the best.

win-win

4. avatar Mike Oregon says:

I basically go through life with a expectation of betrayal in all things.
    I don’t know if that makes me cynical, but all surprises are happy ones.
    So maybe I’m a dyslexic optimist.

5. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I just recently removed myself from a popular forum. They have a cancerous racist patronage I can’t tolerate.

That said, I hate everyone equally.

1. avatar Jomo says:

Here, here, oh fellow misanthrope! I approach life as if people suck. If I meet someone who doesn’t, I’m pleasantly surprised!

2. avatar Joe R. says:

Welcome.

6. avatar Mr.Savage says:

get to use a Jeff Dunham line! I’d kill you for a Klondike bar! But really, when it comes to my wife and kids, it doesn’t matter who you are, put them in danger and with every ounce of my being I am determined to destroy someone’s world, to me, no one else matters at all.

1. avatar David Walters says:

Exactly.

Oh, to the OP…your family is spawned from a holocaust survivor? So?

I’ve been married five times. That’s five holocausts.

Gotcha.

7. avatar Joe R. says:

The problem is a broke (D)1<k one. Nobody else is complaining [about ‘guns’ (and/or conservative ideas/ideals)] with as great a fervor, and the rest would STFU, if the evil (D) did.
    It's not cynicism, it's realism. Like the saying, "it's not paranoia if they really are all out to get you", the evil (D) is begging for a reckoning while demanding you hand over your means to reckon. I've posted many times that they are satan's minions, and I wasn't kidding, every now and then they actually come out and claim it themselves. They are F satan's blue house of (D) of every stripe. F em all.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Planned Parenthood teaming up with Satanists? Crazy, hex-wielding Queen of New York?

Do you think fluoride is poisoning people’s water supply, vaccines are giving kids autism and Hillary Clinton ran a child slavery sex ring below a pizza parlor, too? Get fucking medicated, Joe.

And that’s all from Breibart. The Preident’s trusted adviser and close confidant, folks. You voted for someone who believes this hogwash.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

“And that’s all from Breibart. The Preident’s trusted adviser and close confidant, folks.”

Brietbart’s dead. Your claiming the president is communing with the dead. (I get you meant Steve Bannon, who is no longer in the administration, but that isn’t what you said).

1. avatar Swarf says:

Spoken like a true lawyer.

Of course I meant Bannon. The only people who can speak with the dead are Manhattan society mavens… apparently.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I just thought it was funny that you were talking about crazy conspiracy theories and the president being advised by a dead man (instead of the guy who isn’t advising the president and used to work for the dead guy).

3. avatar Joe R. says:

. . . Ya, according to her. https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Magic-Spiritual-Sally-Quinn/dp/0062315501/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504802678&sr=1-1&keywords=finding+magic

There’s TRUTH, and What’s RIGHT, and What’s JUST. And you shun the rest at lance-point, and no closer. If something’s out there that professes to want to end all of those things, and mankind, and to eternally enslave them, you stay away from it, and you advise others to do so as well. And you WHOLLY REJECT the FING idiots that profess to be on the other side, and the other FING idiots that say it’s stupid to worry about it.

4. avatar Swarf says:

No worries, TX_.

Remember when Nancy Reagan was basically running the Oval Office with an astrologer after the assassination attempt on Ronnie?

Was she in league with Satan (or whatever you think), or is that something only people with a D after their name are capable of, Joe?

5. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I remember the claim being made that she ran the White House, but don’t remember any evidence.

6. avatar Joe R. says:

Ya, Nancy Reagan went off the reservation on that one and it now was then, I would have said so, as I and all Consevatives did then.

What your talking about, though, is a vast attempt by the evil POS liberal satan’s blue house of (D) to out F’d-up nearly every other F’d-up-ness in human history.
          You’re all an fing scourge.

2. avatar Joe R. says:

Swarf, you don’t have to like Breitbart, or believe them, but you also don’t get to be a lib dismissing them out of hand. AND THEY BEAT ALL OTHER NEWS OUTLETS OUT THERE.

Take freekdom douche Sally Quinn’s news from The Washington Post?: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/sally-quinns-hexes-marital-ultimatums-and-visceral-love-of-her-son/2017/09/08/94694dfe-882b-11e7-961d-2f373b3977ee_story.html?utm_term=.224f39b36f38

Or her own memoir?: https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Magic-Spiritual-Sally-Quinn/dp/0062315501/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504802678&sr=1-1&keywords=finding+magic

Take the satanists at their word for it (and FU for having me give it venue anywhere [especially here] eat-sh_t_&-live): https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/about-us

Try the Washington Times: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/13/satanists-and-planned-parenthood-match-made-hell/

1. avatar Swarf says:

Listen. Get this. I’m not a liberal (in the sense that you probably mean given that you are a consumer of Breitbart), nor am I a Democrat any more and haven’t been for years.

Just because I don’t treat politics like a team sport and call out so-called conservatives on their hypocrisy and lies doesn’t mean I’m a Democrat. I despise the Democrats’ myopic policies on guns, and I’m pretty vocal about my issues with them, but unlike many, that doesn’t mean I see the world as black and white and subsequently rah rah for the Republicans. They’re trash too.

People around here may think otherwise, but that’s only because this place defaults so far to the right that any one posting anything outside of that frame looks like a fucking hippie.

2. avatar Joe R. says:

I use Breitbart (and all news outlets) like a news ticker / crawl, taking nothing at face value. CNN used to run one but the are so imbued with bs as to be not able to rise to the level of worthless.

Partial Conservatism, isn’t conservatism, and you don’t profess to be even a partial conservative.

Does it make a difference. Ya. YUUUGE.

It won’t matter to you until it does.

It matters to me, since years ago.

8. avatar michael says:

Count me as cynical and suspicious….

9. It’s hard to be no cynical when you have a corporation owned racist website that continues to promote debunked industry-funded states that more guns make us safe when it’s been proven many times it does not.

The only “tyrants” here are the ones demanding everyone be allowed own flame throwers, machine guns, surface to air missiles and ordinance that can turn a small town into a parking lot. Must americans refuse to own firearms as they do not equal safety and stats prove it.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“It’s hard to be no cynical…”

TRANSLATION- “Whaaaaaa! Whaaaaaa! I didn’t get my way!!!”

Suck on it, sport. The next 7 years will *fly* right on by… 🙂

1. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

Good to see you back around. I was starting to think you were up to your neck in snakes and firewood down there.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Nah. No biggie, this time. Just two days with no juice. It wasn’t as bad this time around as 2004, that was August, and it was *HOT* then.

It was only cool enough to sleep between 3am-7am back then…

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

Take your meds, shreek.

BTW, everyone already is allowed to own flame throwers. You can buy one at your local hardware store for 20 bucks. Now go shit your pants some more and find a couch to faint on.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Cue the metal anthem. . . .

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

20 bucks? For a can of WD-40 and a Bic lighter? That seems like gouging.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

They are Made In America.

That warms the heart.

3. avatar Huntmaster says:

Not just a troll. A really illiterate one.

4. avatar GaPharmD. says:

So much for that educated left argument!

Wrong on every level.

1. avatar Rincoln says:

They’re not actually “educated.” They just reassigned the meaning of the word.

5. avatar Not guilt free says:

And….. you win the idiot prize for wearing blinders.

6. avatar Roman of Texas says:

Geez, you couldn’t pick a dumber name? If you were a real patriot, you’d understand that without guns, this great evil in your eyes, this country might very well not exist, or not in the freedom loving fashion that it is believed to be by other parts of the world. Please, next time you come at anyone, even a liberal, at least pretend to understand the history of not only this nation, but any nation that has taken this freedom away. Some patriot you are. You ever serve? You ever risk anything for this nation?

7. avatar Libertarian Zealot says:

Wow. You really don’t know much do you? Stop listening to your ideological echo chamber of choice. Try facts! The majority of Americans support the Second Amendment & understand it makes all others possible. The majority of Americans don’t want more gun laws. The majority of Americans understand intimate objects don’t do anything by themselves. The majority of Americans understand bad people do bad things, with all manner of tools. The majority of Americans don’t agree with your misguided paranoia of intimate objects. You should be more aware of people and worry less about THINGS.

1. avatar Rincoln says:

“inanimate” – as in not self-moving.

I shutter to think what you do with your guns, if they truly are “intimate” objects…

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

vag carry?

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

“Shutter”? As in your mind is now closed? (you asked for it!)

8. avatar ACP_arms says:

Click’s link in username… goes to Yaa Hoooooo(.com)!… Ant that the truth (rolls eyes).

9. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

Well over 300 million firearms (probabaly more like 500 million) in private ownership within the USA bud….let that sink into your noggin’….that’s what winning looks like. If you want to know what losing looks like it is desperate crackpot spam posts on a pro gun web site.

10. avatar Swarf says:

Lie down, buddy. You’ve had enough to drink today.

11. avatar Eli2016 says:

You’re not as good as Billy “the Frisco Kid”. You’re small potatoes in a country of Obama wannabes. The Muslims would be more welcoming for your supremacist rhetoric. You need to smell the roses up Michelle Obama’s giant size ass. The “Gorillas in the Mist” first family is gone. You got 8 years of free people. Get used to it slave. Bwahahaha!!!!

1. avatar TStew says:

Giant sized ass made me chuckle, then I read “Gorillas In The Mist”. Dafuq?

1. avatar Swarf says:

He’s a racist piece of shit. What’s hard to understand?

12. avatar TStew says:

I can almost see the spittle flying from your frothing mouth as you scream that at us…

13. avatar Garrison Hall says:

” . . .demanding everyone be allowed own flame throwers, machine guns, surface to air missiles and ordinance that can turn a small town into a parking lot . . .”

Ummm . . . I presume you’re speaking metaphorically here. That said—and not that it will make much difference in how you see things—this kind of argument has become so prosaic that I doubt it resonates with even the most ardent gun-controllers. Surely you don’t think this would influence us?

1. avatar Joe R. says:

I know. . . pffffffttt ! Parking lot. Clear the land maybe. . .

Even if we thru in the asphalt and the curbing for free, he’d still have to pull the permits, and pay somebody to come out and due the parking lines per code.

14. avatar sound awake says:

hes just mad because today he told his wife that guns make him scared and she replied that they should both see other men

15. avatar LarryinTX says:

Yo, nutcake! An “ordinance” is a law or regulation, so for instance a small town ordering “no driving here” may well cause it to turn into a parking lot! That’s what you’re talking about, right? This site normally discusses the truth about *ordnance*. Check in again when you’re in the 10th grade.

10. avatar matt says:

I live in california. Hell yes I’m cynical.

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…roger that!

And counting the days when California sees my tail lights.

1. avatar Bob in Calif says:

best thing coming out of California…I-80 East.

11. avatar ORCON says:

I can’t decide what I hate more, everyone or everything.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Other people ruin everything.

12. avatar Vhyrus says:

Not to derail this post but they apparently started debates on the SHARE act.

If this doesn’t pass I am not voting to re elect anyone currently in office.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

No comments yet on that rolling stoned article? Odd.

Did your family’s keys property survive?

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

No idea yet. The house was on Cudjoe Key itself. No one is being allowed down that far. The vehicles we took to sarasota made it though.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“The house was on Cudjoe Key itself.”

Ouch.

I noticed you said that it “…*was* on Cudjoe Key itself.”

You just may be right on that one…

2. avatar Joe R. says:

Whoa, sorry V.

Prayin’ for all of ya.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

This article has either been plagiarized or the author plagiarized some of it.

I have read a very similar paragraph to the one that states “legislation that would have allowed gun owners to transport assault weapons through states where they are banned, eliminate the ATF’s ability to classify certain bullets as “armor piercing,” make it easier to import assault rifles from foreign countries and – potentially most controversial – make it easier for gun owners to acquire silencers” before. What made me notice is that both articles use the term “assault weapons” when discussing interstate travel and then misuse the term “assault rifles” when discussing foreign commerce.

1. avatar JSF001 says:

That Is an extremely common thing for internet news articles. One website will write something then a ton of other websites will basically just copy original article, maybe slightly rearranging the order of the paragraphs. Hell on TTAG they have linked to at least 3 articles now on the growing number of female Hunters in Japan, each one practically identical, only differing in which site is linked. The funniest example I can remember was 10 years ago or so back when Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were still battling it out, And I came across 3-4 articles about how OLED’s can offer a crisper picture. Those 3-4 articles mentioned in them something like “while Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are battling for dominance there replacements may already be on the way in the form OLED’s”. Seeing that once was hilarious enough. Seeing multiple times I couldn’t help but LOL, not only just plagiarizing someone, but plagiarizing something so obviously wrong, is a special kind of stupid.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I just wish they weren’t plagiarizing and telling the truth. I’d love it if we could import assault rifles.

3. avatar Burley says:

I never vote to re-elect unless their time in office was actually used to shrink government and increase personal liberty.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Like, never in history, anywhere?

13. avatar Omer says:

For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 2 Timothy 3:2-5

14. avatar Joe R. says:

Cynicism ? IMHO, there’s only one way to look at life. Surround yourselves with people who are upholding Societal Agreement, or assume your daily struggle might include as many fights to the death as can be contained in each 24 hour period.

Look at September 11, 2001. It was a bright sunny day, all the way up until the point that it wasn’t. However, it could have happened on any previous day (so we shouldn’t have been that shocked, right? [F the TSA for the false sense of security pat downs]).

NEITHER Human Nature, NOR Physics have changed throughout Human History, and they are not likely to in the next few thousand Millennia. And the proper stance and footing has already been codified (some like Sun Tzu) I love Clausewitz, who wrote:

“If when Political objects are unimportant, motives weak, the excitement of forces small, a
    cautious commander tries in all kinds of ways, without great crises and bloody solutions, to
    twist himself skillfully into peace through the characteristic weakness of his enemy in the
    field and in the cabinet, we have no right to find fault with him, if the premise on which he
    acts are well founded and justified by success; still we must require him to remember that
    he only travels on forbidden tracks, where the God of War may surprise him; that he ought
    always to keep his eye on the enemy, in order that he may not have to defend himself with
    a dress rapier if the enemy takes u p a sharp sword”. (Clausewitz, “On War” pg. 137)

Loosely paraphrased, it reads more plainly, thus:

“peaceable resolution to conflict is only effective, and should only be sought and relied upon, when it is certain that the other party will never resort to arms, with the implication that that is never” [J.M. Thomas, R., TERMS, 2012 Pg. 20]

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

And

”Bis interimitur qui suis armis perit” – Publilius Syrus.from his “Sententiae” (http://en.m.
      wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius syrus) “He is doubly destroyed who perishes by his own arms.” So surrender them never (MOLON LABE), and give no quarter to those who demand them.

15. avatar Gman says:

Yes. I agree with everything Robert said and also agree with Mad Dog Mattis – ‘Be polite to everyone, and have a plan to kill them.’ But I don’t see that as a bad thing; it’s just plain old practical.

And my view of other people, the ones I encounter throughout my day, is that they are all morons. Clueless zombies; Meshuggeneh

16. avatar former water walker says:

Cynical? “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked”. Men(and women)are depraved. It’s why you can’t legislate morality-or non-violence. Why we have guns(and laws and cops and the military) and constantly survey those who try to do us harm. I believe man can be redeemed but that sure doesn’t mean I’m trusting in “good intensions”…

17. avatar Phil LA says:

I’m an active optimist. Life is too short to spend it focused on negativity. That being said, I put on my seatbelt and have life insurance, hoping to never need either. Kind of like my EDC.

18. avatar IdahoBoy says:

My wife is also the child of a Holocaust Survivor. It certainly has an effect on my outlook as well.

That said, I’m not cynical. I’m realistic. I treat everyone as if they are potentially a friend until proven otherwise. Sometimes it doesn’t take very long for people to prove otherwise.

I live by three rules: think for yourself, question authority, and don’t get on the boxcar.

1. avatar Gman says:

Red pill or blue pill?

1. avatar IdahoBoy says:

Purple. I don’t think all people are inherently evil, but I’m prepared to defend myself against the ones that are.

2. avatar Joe R. says:

If you watch the movie “The Pianist”, and compare it to today, you see that (American and European) Jews are flooding to the station, and are working counter to all who would protect them.

Poland is claiming a right to demand war reparations from Germany. It might start the next World War, but I say GOOD, I’m tired of the blind-led-blind claiming they can’t see a reason.

Now, what do we do here? Do we bother protecting American (and their European counterpart) Jews, when they can’t seem to help themselves (while Jewish Hollywood and media are busy kicking the rest of us in the nuts)?

1. avatar Joe R. says:

It might sound cold, but “all gave some, some gave all” MOST gave more than the Jewish people in defense of the Jews during WWII, and that’s no sh_t, AND THEY DID IT WITHOUT WHINING.

Polish Catholics and Christians were decimated in protecting themselves/their families/their life and property from the DISPLACING Germans, and many gave up their whole existence in an attempt to protect their Polish Jew neighbors.

IF YOU’RE GOING TO SAY “NEVER AGAIN”, THEN DON’T HAMSTRING YOUR ONLY CHANCE AT PREVENTING AN “AGAIN” cause some of that shite is imbred in people, they are imbued with evil, and evil ain’t going anywhere until JESUS comes back.

REMEMBER BYTOM ! ! !

1. avatar IdahoBoy says:

Now now, there’s no need to worry about us. We’ll be just fine. My only point is that if you’re going to be prepared for the worst, there’s no reason why you can’t be nice about it.

2. avatar Joe R. says:

There you go. Perfect indication in your response. Yes, you’re all worried about yourselves, you just (somehow) don’t seem to give a flying F what you’re doing to the rest of us that might support you.

If you ain’t got us, you ain’t got sh_t, nor a flying Fing chance in hell. Tell that to your Chuck Schumer and your Jewish run media and movie pukes.

19. avatar Ogre says:

I don’t know if it makes me a cynic or just a pessimist, but I go through life expecting the worst, and if anything better happens, it’s icing.

I’m not cynical at all. I’m very trusting. In fact, my trust in Smith & Wesson knows no bounds.

21. avatar Marach says:

Pragmatic. Law enforcement response time to home is greater that 25 minutes. Animal control’s response to reports of coyotes is “shoot it yourself”. Big cats they take a dim view of shooting unless there is a threat to live or livestock. The simple truth is that you and you alone a responsible for your safety. Law enforcement has no duty or obligation to protect you. You are your own first responder.

1. avatar rt66paul says:

According to the Moms of Glendora blog, pets are getting eaten every night by coyotes. If we use a bb gun or a slingshot to chase them away, we would get arrested. Shoot ’em – Oh hell no! I would be in jail for months.

That is Ca for you

1. avatar Joe R. says:

and Venezuela.

22. avatar Noishkel says:

Oh I’m about as cynically as you can get. So much so that meme is an almost direct translation of how I survived my criminally abusive childhood and family.

In those years I learned one thing: and that blind trust is a liability. Be it trusting child protective services to save you from abuse, the police to keep you safe from criminals, IT conglomerates to manage your data, or the state to keep you safe from itself.

23. avatar meadowsr says:

Does living by the motto “trust, but verify” make one cynical? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. avatar IdahoBoy says:

That’s actually a Russian saying. I use it as justification for Googling my daughter’s boyfriends.

24. avatar Andrew Lias says:

I’m married. nuff said.

25. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

Cynic
    (n.) “A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic’s eyes to improve his vision.”
    a. bierce

i turn a jaded eye to all but puppies. even kittens are not trustworthy.
    if my cynicism originates from politics, media and women, then i have only become aware.

follow the money = it always comes down to greed.

1. avatar If cats could talk, they'd lie to you says:

“even kittens are not trustworthy”

Hey now! Let’s just tap the brakes on… well, ok. Yeah, I guess you might have a point.

2. avatar IdahoBoy says:

I love cats. But it’s important to realize that they don’t have owners. They have staff.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

a dog’s spit may reduce your staph.
        but cats have toxoplasmosis.

26. avatar koko says:

Well, I guess someone really cynical would remind himself that talk is always cheap, and especially so among self professed cynics.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“Well, I guess someone really cynical would remind himself that talk is always cheap, and especially so among self professed cynic.”

Oh, yeah?

Take this….I thought I wrong, once. But I was mistaken.

I don’t even trust me !

Clearly cynical.

27. avatar jwm says:

Remember the Riddle of Steel.

28. avatar Darkman says:

Never before in the history of mankind has the gene pool needed a barrel of chlorine more. Cynical not really. Just observant of the fact that the human species is the only species on the planet that is destroying it’s own genetic line purposefully. Allowing bad genes to be pasted on to the next generation. In the wild sub standard life forms either die or are killed by their own kind. Animals instinctively know to let the weak and infirm die to protect the overall good of the species. We can learn much from the animal world.

29. avatar Survivordude1090 says:

How cynical am I?
    First off, I’m a white, 26 (27 in Oct.) straight, conservative male.

The country is an economic cluster f@#$. More politicians want me to be miserable and are doing everything in their power to make it that way. Many groups of people want me dead for simply existing. Probably going to enter either a Civil War or World War III. More people are willing to stab you in the back than ever. There are so few women out there I’d be willing to raise kids with, let alone marry because they’re likely to take my kids and screw me over financially.

How am I doing so far?

Only silver lining: I recently got a well paying job I’m going to use to pay off my debt, buy some land in the middle of nowhere, build an off the grid homestead, and finally get as far away from it all as possible.

1. avatar Raoul Duke says:

You speak my language.

30. avatar Gordon in MO says:

I learned early in life to not trust “people”. I don’t like “people”.
    I do like some individuals that I get to know but as a group, no.
    As a consequence I guess I am cynical based on hard experience.

31. avatar sound awake says:

andrew breitbart loretta fuddy and antonin scalia were all whacked

as in killed on purpose with malice aforethought

not crazy whacked like michael moore

im saying they all died as a result of a hit being put on them

THAT cynical

32. avatar Joseph Quixote says:

Cynical, yes I can be at times. That being said I try (and often fail) to treat others as I wish to be treated. Which is in my thoughts, despite the fallen state of humanity to treat others with a witness of the golden rule. That being said most of the posts above me point to a post-Christian society. You may judge me and other Christians as being weaklings, dupes, and fools, but remember armed Christians gave you the society you live in. So, good luck with a post Christian west. If you want to see what I think your version of cynical looks like I suggest you read Machiavelli’s “The Prince” and drink deeply. Might makes right and the teaching that the ends justify the means, kind of what Farago’s (and many others families) experienced from 1935-1945. Pretty sad that humanity seems to have to relearn the moral law every 100 years or so.

33. avatar Gordy says:

No matter how cynical I get, it’s never enough to keep up.

A cynic know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

I gotta start charging for this plagiarized stuff.

34. avatar rammsteinrules says:

Trust no one….sage words…..also was in a security briefing one time, guy said pretty much the same thing…..trust his neighbor to look after his wife and family if SHTF? NFW. Be vigilant

35. avatar Churros13 says:

Lol this is the lamest post I’ve ever read. First of all, fried bread exists soo why are you cynical? Fried bread exists for a reason, and that reason is to destroy evil thoughts from corrupting your life. What would life be like without evil villains and fried bread?? Also, there will be another Hitler and he/she will have access to nuclear weapons and instead of targeting Jews will target ofwg’s and your little stash of guns will do nothing to protect you and your hats. So just be happy!

36. avatar Peter says:

Robert, You are Hungarian and cynicism is your cultural heritage. Hungarians are known world-wide for their cynicism and it’s probably the result of natural selection. Located in Central Europe, Hungary has been tromped over by this invading horde and that invading horde for centuries. The ones who survived long enough to procreate were the ones cynical enough to see things for what they were. Embrace your heritage. It will keep you alive and well.

One of my favorite quotes is from Lily Tomlin: “No matter how cynical I get, I just can’t keep up.”

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

Don’t pester Robert. Attila The Hun was a Magyar, the ancient people of what is now Hungary.

Just saying.

1. avatar Peter says:

“Just saying”… what exactly? I don’t see your point. I’m not pestering Robert, I’m encouraging him. And yes, Attila the Hun was a Magyar. So what? That’s undisputed history. Grass is also green. And you’re wrong that the Magyars are the ancient people of what is now Hungary — the Magyars were and ARE now the Hungarians who are in Hungary. I’m Hungarian and speak “Magyarul”. Although we hold no contempt for those who use the word “Hungarian”, it’s foreign to us and somewhat sour to the ear. Do a little research — it will prevent you from saying silly things.

Csak mondom…

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“and speak “Magyarul”. ”

Always wondered about the name of the language (though didn’t do any research). The “point” of my comment was to introduce the term “Magyar” to people who may not be familiar with the history. Thinking most people here do not know anything about Maygor and Hunor. History seems a bit clouded as to how Hunor became honored with the term “Hungary”, rather than the natural term “Magyarország”, or simply, Magyaror, or another derivative of Magyor. Guess it comes down to the writing of history by whomever was the world power at the time the naming convention was applied.

As to pestering, it was merely a clumsy segue.

No need to get any feathers up.

37. avatar johnny108 says:

“Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.”

“The reward for tolerance is often betrayal”

Me? Cynical? Nah…..