See-Through Suppressor at 110,000 Frames Per Second

TTAG’s Science Desk has turned us onto two videos from YouTube channel Smarter Every Day. In them, Destin films the flame and gas propagation within the baffles of Soteria Suppressors‘ rifle cans thanks to see-through acrylic tubes and some very high-speed video. It’s pretty sweet.

comments

1. avatar Ing says:

Haven’t seen the second one yet (have to wait till after work), but the first one was awesome.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

I can imagine the suppressor companies would be interested in doing that as a prototyping tool when developing – optimizing a design, especially when combined with ultra high-speed video.

Call it “gas flow modeling with eyeballs”…

3. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Is there a CliffsNotes version? Or is it actually worth 32 minutes of my life?

1. avatar Joel says:

Second video is compressed version of first best I can tell. I skipped around till I found what I wanted to see. 🙂

Gun mufflers are cool.

2. avatar PeterK says:

I skipped around in second video only. Worth that much. Very very interesting stuff.

3. avatar AdamTA1 says:

Watch the second one. It’s definitely worth the time.

4. avatar Boba Fett says:

That is insanely cool.

5. avatar Shawn Graber says:

I watched both videos earlier this week; thought about passing them on to TTAG but wasn’t sure how to go about it. Glad to see TTAG found these videos without assistance. 🙂 The shorter of the two videos is a concise summary; Destin goes more in-depth with the footage and the science in the longer video.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

E-mail to thetruthaboutguns [ at) gmail will work if you want to pass along tips to us! 2A news, product news, fun stuff like this, etc etc is always appreciated 🙂

6. avatar The Punisher says:

Who knows where suppressor technology would be nowadays had inane government regulation not retarded it for all these years…

7. avatar joetast says:

I’m just not that much into ” gun mufflers”, to really reap the benefits you have to go subsonic, take for instance a .223 , now you’ve got a heavy bullet .22 LR, and a .223 ‘s claim to fame is its speed,,, Kinda like a detuned 426 hemi cuda with Silenciio Hush Puppy exhaust