Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Chicago-Bound Bus Passenger Shoots Himself in the Junk

An unidentified Chicago man, riding a Megabus in Madison, Wisconsin, shot himself in the junk early Wednesday morning. The 21-year-old passenger had a loaded pistola stuffed in the waistband of his pants. While adjusting it, the gun fired he pressed the trigger, perforating his penis and one of his testicles.

His fellow passengers became understandably alarmed by the sound of the early morning gunshot inside the bus. Meanwhile, our marksman hastily retreated to the bus’s bathroom, no doubt in great pain. Minutes later, he emerged and fled the bus despite the driver pleading with him to stay for medical treatment.

Madison police and paramedics arrived and stopped the fleeing bleeder. The po-po also found his pistol in the toilet of the bus.

The Madison State-Journal has the story:

A 21-year-old Chicago man shot himself in the groin early Wednesday morning, while on a commuter bus stopping on the UW-Madison campus en route from Minneapolis to Chicago.

The bizarre shooting incident happened at about 5 a.m. on a Megabus that stopped at its normal bus stop on Langdon Street at Lake Street, Madison police said.

The unidentified victim apparently had a loaded handgun in the waistband of his pants, and the gun fired, sending a bullet through his penis and one testicle, said police spokesman Howard Payne.

Police didn’t say if the bullet was recovered.
Mr. Chicago should have learned the four rules of gun safety (and bought a good holster) before stuffing that gun in his pants. For his careless and imprudent act, we bestow on him the irresponsible gun owner of the day award.

comments

1. avatar Hannibal says:

And apparently no one in the press asked if he was a valid carry license holder.

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

I suppose the “dumped the pistol in the toilet” part kind of fills in that blank.

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

That’s an element of the story, not unlike the race of criminal offenders, which you know by its absence.

3. avatar Madcapp says:

How much you wanna bet this he was carrying striker fired?

1. avatar Hank says:

Another victim of Glock groin.

1. avatar Ll says:

Glock c@ck?

2. avatar GS650G says:

Ballistic vasectomy for sure.

1. avatar JasonM says:

He should get half a Darwin award for his effort.

1. avatar rt66paul says:

He did -1 testicle means 1/2 Darwin award. Of course the torn up junk might keep him from reproducing on it’s own.

2. avatar Tim says:

Budget sex-change. Free the trannies!

3. avatar AubreyB says:

I have also had my gun go off while adjusting it in my waistband………messy business

1. avatar BLoving says:

Ventilated a$$cheek?

2. avatar superslomo says:

Hey Aubrey! You left out, “by pulling the trigger.” Fixed it for ya’.

3. avatar Joe says:

You get the other half of this bozo’s Darwin award. What is with you idiots. So this is an argument for not everyone having a gun. A few more of these idiots walking around and we can kiss our guns good-bye. What is it they say – you can’t fix stupid.

4. avatar Andrew in Ohio says:

I think you all missed the joke. “Gun” not “firearm”.

4. avatar Alexander says:

He will now have to learn to play soprano flute, unless he wants to go all the way (he’s already halfway there) and become a spokeswoman for her brotherhood.

5. avatar Joe R. says:

If someone has to get shot (in the junk), why does it have to be one of ours?

1. avatar Ollie says:

Obama “Son”, felon, outstanding extradition warrant in Minnesota.
      Definitely NOT one of “ours”.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

whew

6. avatar Serpent_Vision says:

One testicle short of a Darwin award….

1. avatar FedUp says:

Plaxico Award?
      Lee Paige Award?

2. avatar Tim says:

One-pac Shakur.

1. avatar 80 D says:

Winner

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

six pack fer sure.

7. avatar Slab Rankle says:

My sources tell me the man’s name is Lee Paige.

8. avatar Snake says:

Poetic justice.
    Has no one ever heard of trigger safeties?
    Maybe it was a Glock, and he pulled extra hard.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

All you need to prevent this sort of thing is a holster that fits the gun.

This ain’t rocket science. But of course, this particular Chicagoan was never a candidate for such a profession.

9. avatar The Rookie says:

Yeooowch!!!

10. avatar Geoff PR says:

Having once been kicked in the nads as a kid, I can’t even begin to imagine his agony on that one.

On the bright side, HeyJackass! http://heyjackass.com/ has a new entry for their Shot-in-the-Junk-O-Meter:

11. avatar former water walker says:

Ouch…homie don’t play dat. Tardectomy?!?Darwin award nominee😜? No junk won’t make you popular with the ho’s.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Tardectomy … that there is funny!

1. avatar Hoyden says:

Dindu nuffin. He had plans for that junk.

12. avatar Cjstl says:

Is he really a fit for irresponsible gun owner of the day if it clearly wasn’t a legal gun?

1. avatar scottlac says:

Define “legal gun”. It is “possession” of said gun that is legal or illegal by jurisdiction. The gun is neutral (or in this case neutering) in the matter.

He was a gun owner (legal ownership or not) and he was irresponsible with it. He qualifies.

1. avatar Cjstl says:

If someone dumps his gun in the toilet on a bus, I don’t consider him to be a legal gun owner. Maybe “gun carrier” is more appropriate…

1. avatar scottlac says:

In your consideration there is something you are failing to consider. I took great pains to explain the distinction but I don’t think you got it.

The “gun” itself is not illegal. The gun is just an inanimate thing. It is the “possession” by the irresponsible toilet dumper that is legal or illegal, responsible or irresponsible. The gun had no say in the matter.

2. avatar Cjstl says:

No, I got it. That’s why I said “gun carrier” was more appropriate. You either own a gun or you possess it. I believe our partially castrated friend on the bus did the latter.

3. avatar scottlac says:

When it comes to ownership, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

13. avatar Ovidio says:

At least he will not reproduce.

1. avatar Hood Rat Express says:

Age 21? Probably has 8 kids by 7 different baby-mommas already.

14. avatar jwm says:

So much for stopping power. Shot in the junk and still moving around.

I’m glad I’m too fat for appendix carry.

15. avatar Peter says:

Unidentified? Let me picture him for you, if Obama had a son, he would look just like him. 🙂

16. avatar Darkman says:

Definitely a Stella award winner.

17. avatar TrappedInCommiefornia says:

“The unidentified idiot apparently had a loaded handgun in the waistband of his pants…”

FIFY

18. avatar Mas Cool Arrow says:

The moral of the story is “don’t get on the bus half cocked”

1. avatar Velvet Elvis Gun Guy (formerly Timmy!) says:

He was fully cocked when he got on… he was half-cocked when he got off the bus!

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

I think it unlikely he is ever gonna “get off” again!

1. avatar jwm says:

It’ll look like a busted sprinkler if he does.

2. avatar superslomo says:

Cool name, Mas Cool Arrow. Or Culero. Just sayin’.

19. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Im glad I carry a hammer fired gun. They take more force to fire.

20. avatar Aaron says:

He was actually responsible; he knew he was too stupid to have children…

21. avatar 2Asux says:

Ode to Joy. A whacking great bang, and we have another “good guy with a gun (exercising his natural, human, civil and constitutionally protected right to arms). A bugger who puts an entire busload at risk, just because he can. Fortunately, this one was a nitwit, and removed his hope of again being considered a man.

And still you lot insist the general public must accept the risk that some dolt with a pistol might shoot you dead in public, with a mere “Oops, my bad.”

1. avatar Cjstl says:

It’s called freedom. Not restricting my rights based on fear of what someone else might do. Ultimately, I can only be responsible for myself and those under my care, which is something you statists will never understand. I can attempt to guide others towards making the right decisions, but I cannot control them. You’d be a lot happier if you would just realize that and stop trying to cram your beliefs down everyone’s throat. I give the same advice to the religious conservatives, but they never listen. I’m sure you won’t either.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

‘It’s called freedom.’

Robbing me of my freedom of passage? Forcing me to be wary that you or someone else will “bust a cap” while adjusting your pants? Forcing me to avoid the mall because someone like you will have an “accident” and injure me? Forcing me to restrict my freedom of movement because you want your deadly toy, regardless of the potential threat you pose innocent bystanders. Robbing my of my freedom for peace of mind that I need to fear “good guys” fiddling with their guns and “accidentally” shooting me?

You, and yours, cannot deny that if there is no gun present, there will not, cannot, be a negligent discharge. What threat of serious or deadly injury do I pose you while walking about unarmed? I’ve heard from you blokes there are two types of gun owners: those who have had a negligent discharge, and those who will. A bloody bomb waiting to go off. The public is not the threat; gun owners are the threat.

Next time you learn one of your neighbors plans to attend the cinema with their children, tell them you also will be attending while carrying your gun on your person. And that you plan to sit right behind them. Their reaction will tell you that you are in the dangerous minority.

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Hi, Sam. Mixing up nicknames again?

2. avatar Sam I Am says:

Nope. This is like the third time I have seen names “captured”. Tried it on a different blog, and it is just so easy to takeover someone’s handle. Thought you had to be registered under a single name, but the comments pages apparently do not have a validation capability.

3. avatar Cjstl says:

Show me the statistics that ND’s are actually dangerous to anyone other than the person carrying the gun and I might give your rant a second read. I have friends carrying around me and in my house all the time. I don’t give it a second thought. I’m certainly not living my life in fear of being shot accidentally by someone at the mall or movie theater.

And you completely missed my original point, which was some jackass carrying a gun illegally, who has not taken proper precautions, is not a fair example of why millions of law abiding citizens should be stripped of our rights.

4. avatar Sam I Am says:

Not my screed. Third time takeover. Went to another blog, using a one-time email address. I was able to submit a comment using someone else’s online identity. “Handles” apparently are not protected. My comment on that site indicated the comment was likely a takeover of another name.

5. avatar Cjstl says:

I figured it wasn’t you. Had the tone of one of the paid trolls. Not Cisco Kid though, since his grammar, spelling, and organization of his thoughts are all so atrocious. The hijacker is someone who can actually write.

22. avatar Libertarian says:

It s an “no gun zone” in there no carry anywhere ccw law that sayed all *ggg*

23. avatar Joe says:

Darwin award winner. No mention of the presence of an “appendix carry” holster. Could that be the culprit?

24. avatar LHTwist says:

I’m glad no one else was injured but this is sooooo funny!

25. avatar Herpderp says:

Must not have been a .45 acp or he would have died instantly! (Yep I went there)

26. avatar Troy Ison says:

Only one nut? Must have been a 9mm.