Bodybuilder vs. Potato Gun: JTILTH

In the video below, bodybuilder Houston Jones challenges his friends to shoot his ripped physique with a potato gun. Like the recent fatal “experiment” — wherein an aspiring stunt man challenged his pregnant girlfriend to shoot him with a Desert Eagle — none of the participants here gave much thought to the forces unleashed by a ballistic device. Truth be told . . .

The number one result of a Google search “potato gun kill” unearthed a smithsonian.com article that tells us that “Recent research found that if you take a potato to the head you have way more than a “50% risk of skull fracture.” Even taking a body shot could do some serious damage and has a good chance of killing you.”

Here’s proof: One Killed, Three Injured In Potato Gun Accident. OK, that one exploded. But keep in mind that an acetylene-fueled spud gun is capable of producing a muzzle velocity of over 300 mph (from US Air Force Measures Potato Cannon Muzzle Velocities).

For comparison, the average Major League pitcher throws the ball at just over 90 miles per hour. You wouldn’t want to stand in front of that, would you? Not even with a helmet.

The only reason Mr. Jones didn’t suffer more than a bruised body: the potato gun used by his “friends” didn’t generate sufficient muzzle velocity to damage his internal organs. If he decides to go big or go home, to do this again with a more powerful device, well, we won’t be seeing a lot of new videos on his channel.

Darwin. Guns. Connect the dots.

Jeremy Edit:

Remember the baseball cannon in our Mill Creek Shooting Resort review? Well, this seemed like an appropriate place to share the video footage. You do NOT want to be in front of this bad boy:

comments

1. avatar George Steele says:

Sorry – no other way to say it. This guy is an idiot.

1. avatar MLee says:

I’m not sorry, he’s an idiot. And that potato gun is weak. The one we have would fu– him up.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

That gun shoots baby potatoes.
        I built one with a 3″ bore – it shoots POTATOES!
        If you’re gonna make yourself look like a wuss to those who know what they’re doing, don’t put it on Youtube!

2. avatar Ironhead says:

So a request to all the morons in the video…. please dont breed.

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

idiots have been breeding very rapidly, and are responsible for most population and voter demographics in city and urban areas since the mid 1800s.

aka, the democratic party, the modern travesty of the party founded by Thomas Jefferson

1. avatar Clive says:

There is absolutely nothing “democratic” about the party you have in mind!

You seem to confuse “democratic” and democrat!
        That little “ic” makes all the difference in the world!

The actual correct term for these SOBs, today, is “COMMIECRATS”!

They havent been even “democrats”, since the 1960s, when they hi-jacked, or just plain stole the political platform of the CPUSA! That is when the party name should have been changed to the “Commiecrats”!

(But it pisses them off to be called what they truly are!)
        As they say, “Tough Shjt”!
        COMMIECRATS, all!

1. avatar Big Bill says:

I think the difference you are looking for is “democrat” vs “Democrat.”
          The first believes in democracy, the second believes in big government, and having that government control as many aspects of the “little people” and their lives as they can.

3. avatar Pwrserge says:

Sadly, we as a society have gotten too good at keeping morons alive to reach reproductive age.

1. avatar Pg2 says:

Must’ be the vaccines???

1. avatar Zeke says:

…and airbags, bike helmets, and “safe” playground equipment.

The coddling of the poorly-evolved happens on so many levels.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“…and airbags, bike helmets, and “safe” playground equipment.”

Speaking of playground equipment, this is supposed to a pic of a schoolyard playground in 1912.

Can anyone verify this?:

If it’s authentic, it’s proof of just how pussified we have come…

4. avatar Geoff PR says:

Pfttttpt.

I’d like to see him take a shot to the ‘nads…

1. avatar FedUp says:

Are you willing to go to the trophy shop and pay for his Darwin Award?
      I’m not saying I’m against your idea, him not breeding would probably be a good thing…

1. avatar Big Bill says:

If all I have to pay for is the actual award, sure, I’m your daisy. Awards are cheap.

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Are you willing to go to the trophy shop and pay for his Darwin Award?”

I just wanna laugh my ass off at the look on his face when he experiences that white-hot bolt of pure pain…

5. avatar Otto13 says:

Guy is a tool

6. avatar AFGus says:

That’s a pretty weak Potato gun compared to some I’ve seen. They were using whittled down potatoes too, not full size, unpeeled Potatoes. I want to see him try it with a “real” Potato gun with full sized, unpeeled Idaho spuds. Then we can watch them cart Muscle Head off to the County Coroner’s Office. Cause of Death = Extreme Stupidity!

1. avatar tdiinva says:

When my son was at Minnesota his lab built a potato gun and fired a spud across the Mississippi. I’d like to see him take a shot from that cannon.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yeah. I built one with a 6′ long barrel. Getting potatoes out to 300 yards was routine.
        We shot a sheet of 1/2″ plywood and it punched right through.

7. avatar BlackoutFan says:

No sense, no feeling.

I am dumber now, for watching…

8. avatar Hank says:

Remember the fat carnies that used to get shot in their bellies with a cannon? Good times. They quit doing that around 20 years ago or so.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

“homer simpson, smiling politely.”

2. avatar 80 D says:

“Temba, his arms wide.”

1. avatar scottlac says:

“Shaka, when the walls fell.”

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Says “Toro Toro my taxi, see you tomorrow my son”…

9. avatar Jack Stortion says:

A perfect example of the Dunning–Kruger effect, which while often tragic, is quite entertaining.

10. avatar former water walker says:

Well duh…muscle head indeed. Just saw the news where it was reported a kid got hit on top of his head by a dumbf##k shooting into the air-and he’s in serious condition(Hammond,IN). Mighty LOUD right now?

11. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Jeremy, how far were those b-balls getting?
    That was cool!

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Oh shit…maybe a half mile? At least 700 yards. Not exactly sure but it was pretty GD far haha. They said at full pressure they’ve actually hit on the slope of that hill in the distance.

1. avatar Fin says:

As aids

12. avatar Marco says:

I take issue with the term “ripped”.

Ripped is a technical term for low body fat. While Houston jones is certainly in great shape, he is not “ripped” as in single digit body fat with abs.

Instead, he is jacked- which has to do with size of muscles vs. crazy low body fat.

Bruce lee was ripped (and sliced in some cases).

Arnold was jacked, but never got to the ultra low body fats of today bodybuilders.

Houston certainly isn’t fat, but he isn’t six pack without flexing.

13. avatar troutbum5 says:

Another shot or two of hairspray would have changed that video quite a bit. For the better.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

You can quickly reach the point of too much fuel, not enough air. Stoichiometry.
      A larger fuel/air chamber will require more fuel, and provide more propellant gasses, resulting in more velocity (as long as the plastic holds up).

14. avatar Kaban says:

Were I to make a wager, I’d say the opposite is true – those boys most likely tested and de-tuned potato launcher.

15. avatar Kenneth G Maiden says:

YEP, IDIOT. Look at me, look at me. Darwin at work.

16. avatar Jeffro says:

I’m not saying we kill all the stupid people. I say we just remove ALL warning labels, and let things sort themselves out.

17. avatar Hank says:

I think his “strongest muscle” can be found between his ears.

18. avatar Gunr says:

I’m wondering how much gas escapes around the potato in the bore. If the potato was “sized” through a circular cutter, leaving solid meat all the way around, I would think this would prevent velocity loss?
    This is assuming the potato was oversize to begin with.

19. avatar dph says:

My tater gun would put that dumb ass in the morgue. Shot at a maple tree from 20 feet it removed the bark in a 6 inch circle.

20. avatar Robert says:

I was really hoping to see a shot hit him right in the nose.

21. avatar Larry says:

Agree he is not anywhere near ” ripped”, he would have been called , ” smooth ” back in my gym rat days . Smooth , cut , ripped .

Ya know we complain about ” clips” and such yet use ” ripped” when it’s not even close .

22. avatar AndyT says:

Growing up we had a tennis ball cannon that would put a deflated tennis ball through a sheet of OSB plywood.

Also apparently White Rain hair spray gave us more velocity than straight ether. Ether just didn’t gum up our igniters…