Forget the Spare Magazine, Give Me a ‘New York Reload’

The line has been drilled into everyone who carries a firearm and otherwise prepares for violence coming from the Earth’s dominant apex predator species: “Two is one and one is none.”

When people invoke this axiom in the firearms world, they’re most often talking about the number of magazines that a member of the armed citizenry takes with them when venturing out beyond the wire.

Magazines are, after all, the Achilles’ heel of the modern semiautomatic pistol. Despite the lack of hard numbers on this, it seems reasonable to say that magazines are more likely to be shoved blindly into overstuffed drawers, ejected with a full complement of cartridges onto the dirt at the range, and generally subjected to abuse as if they were head bolts on a 1981 Oldsmobile diesel engine.

They’re also the parts with the thinnest metal or plastic, most likely to be damaged than a part on the firearm itself. This author had such an issue with one of the magazines that shipped with his freshly-made GLOCK 43 in 2015. Heck, Larry Vickers still thinks that most new 1911 magazines should be ditched unless they come from a source with decades of proven reliability.

Still, even if no mechanical issues occur after the balloon goes up, having extra rounds on standby is a good idea, no matter how you look at it. John Boch and RF, among countless others, have hammered home both of these points repeatedly.

This author learned his lawyerin’ from Fightin’ Illini who knew how to dissect an argument, and this one seems solid. Magazines are the weakest link in the semi-automatic chain. And since you can’t have too much ammunition, throw an extra mag or two in your pocket before venturing out. Logical.

But there’s a premise buried in there that doesn’t hold water for the average civilian who carries a firearm for self-defense purposes. That is:

During a surprise violent criminal/terrorist attack, where the combatant must fight immediately or suffer either death or grievous bodily injury, when the gun suffers a malfunction, she will be able to identify and cure the problem with a fast clearance drill, reload, and resume fighting in time to ensure a successful outcome.

Be honest: is that really going to happen?

The late firearms trainer/philosopher Louis Awerbuck sure didn’t think so. In his 1999 book, Tactical Reality (at 151-52), he says:

Practice to perfection reloads and malfunction drills, but don’t delude yourself that it can be accomplished for real without distance, cover, or concealment as an ally. At contact distances it cannot be done. Period. This is tantamount to attempting a 200-yard rifle shot at a springbok running at full tilt (and bounding six feet into the air) while he’s at full bore). The word lunacy comes to mind.

At the same time, each fight is unique. Circumstances may permit a tactical withdrawal to cover and enough time to do a reload. Albeit rare, it has happened, even to non-military, non-LEO types. If one wants to cover the risk, then it makes a lot more sense to carry the backup magazine pre-loaded in a back-up gun.

For those already on board with the idea of carrying one or two extra mags, the idea shouldn’t seem that radical. People carrying a concealed firearm for personal self-defense have already found space for a blaster on one hip. Concealing a gun of equal size on the opposite hip doesn’t require that much more effort.

And if one wanted to go for a .380 — say an LCP or one of those “I can’t believe it’s not a Colt Mustang” clones that everyone makes nowadays — well, those things fit in an average man’s pants pocket almost as easily as a double stack magazine.

Which is better when seconds count? Seventeen rounds that go downrange after the gunfighter successfully performs a double-feed clearance drill first while under fire, or six rounds that are ready to fly as soon as leather (or pocket) is cleared?

[The author’s Kahr P380 is compared next to a 17-round GLOCK double-stack magazine above. When fully-loaded, the Kahr has 6+1 rounds ready to go with a trigger pull, and is both lighter and narrower than the GLOCK magazine.]

This isn’t to denounce the idea of carrying an extra magazine. Context is king. Certainly, those in the military or civilian law enforcement might want to carry some extra mags in addition to a backup gun, given their higher likelihood to engage in a prolonged fight, and limited ability to choose the time and place of those fights. Plus, as Mr. Awerbuck says, the wise gunhandler will train for a variety of situations and keep such tactical tools handy in their mental toolbox. (And train. Train to pull a backup pistol–and shoot–with your weak hand as much as you can.)

It’s just that time, money, and belt space are limited and must be prioritized. You can’t carry everything. Every piece of EDC gear must be carefully scrutinized, periodically reconsidered, and dispassionately left at home if something else can do the job better.

If a reload or malfunction clearance is needed in the middle of a fight, it’s needed now. Not in two minutes, not in five seconds, not after the old magazine is ripped out of the well, now. For those who wish to carry insurance against that eventuality, finding a little extra space for a second gun is ultimately more efficient than carrying a spare double-stack magazine that, in all likelihood, will be no more effective in the moment of decision than a talisman.

comments

1. avatar Timao Theos says:

I agree, in the summer i carry two LCP’s and the winter i carry two firearms that fire .45auto.

My biggest beef is i dont like to be unbalanced when i walk.

My back thanks me.

2. avatar No one of consequence says:

You make a good point.

I, however, will be happy simply getting to a point where carrying at work isn’t a federal felony. Then we can work on the state I live in not allowing the carry of more than one gun if one is concealed.

3. avatar Chris T in KY says:

I met a gun store owner who told me he had five guns on him at the same time all concealed. I could not tell by looking at him. How much extra weight are you going to carry around?
    Five 1911s?????? or maybe 10 North American Arms revolvers???
    Just asking.

1. avatar Hank says:

Might as well carry 6 at that point and do the “Black Beard reload”

2. avatar Rokurota says:

Have to respond with this:

1. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Thanks for the reminder. I have always loved that scene!!!

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Oh, those aquarium platform shoes… 😉

4. avatar JDC says:

I tend to agree with this. I carry a Kahr CW380 in my pocket almost always. When I go to school in Denver, I also carry an FNS .40 Longslide in my messenger bag. In addition, I have occasionally carried another CW380, in another pocket. If you use Recluse Holsters, they fit well in a lot of pockets, including jacket pockets. I have also carried a Kahr CT9 in a jacket pocket. I am going to have a “Maximum Carry” Day one day, and see how many firearms I can reasonably carry at one time. Summer, I could probably carry 4 CW380’s without too much hassle. Unfortunately I only have two. WInter, I could carry a lot more

5. avatar James says:

The chance of an average person needing a reload or second gun is so small I think It’s silly to spend any effort preparing for it. If you worry about chances that small there are a lot of other things in life you should probably be worrying about first.

1. avatar JDC says:

No preparation here. I already have the stuff. All I have to do is plug it in. And if all I am carrying a second or third pistol is silly, I am fine with that.

2. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

How much effort and time does it take to throw a .38 snubby, or whatever, in your pocket before you walk at the house…?

Not much. Hey, I’m going to bring other gun with me. *puts another gun w/pocket holster in right front pocket*

It’s that easy.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Man, I don’t understand all you guys who “just throw” a pistol in your pocket.

I’ve tried it with my LCP and LCR, and I felt like I had a serious case of Quato thigh, and forget being able to draw quickly even with a Sticky.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I don’t understand why people think putting objects in your butt feels good – it doesn’t.

But, to each his own.

^ see what I did there

3. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

You’re probably more likely to need quick access to a ri fle than to need more than 5 or 6 roun ds. Which is why I’m seriously considering a truck ri fle.

4. avatar Richard Steven Hack says:

Let me fix that for you…

The chance of an average person needing a gun for self-defense is so small I think It’s silly to spend any effort preparing for it. If you worry about chances that small there are a lot of other things in life you should probably be worrying about first.

If you’re carrying a gun at all (unless you’re a cop or soldier or security guard) you’re already planning for an event which is likely to occur to less than 1,1000 of one percent of the population (or some equally imprecise probability.)

You don’t plan that way when survival is at stake. You plan for the outliers as far as practical constraints allow. Everyone would like to carry miniguns on their shoulders like War Machine in the Iron Man movies. Short of that, carry an extra magazine or an extra gun – especially if you only have a lousy five-shot revolver.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

As low as they are, the odds of needing a g-un, any gu-n, are exponentially higher than needing a g-un AND a reload. Preparing for something that is rare but catastrophic is one thing, but preparing for something that is astronomically unlikely it another. YMMV.

6. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I’m a fan of the NY reload.

I’ve been known to throw another pistol in my pocket, instead of a spare mag, from time to time.

7. avatar Vhyrus says:

For one, it is explicitly illegal to carry more than one concealed firearm at a time in some states, even if you have a ccw. New Mexico springs to mind. Secondly, you are adding a significant amount of weight and bulk to your EDC by doing this. A second gun simply does not carry as easily as a spare mag, unless it’s something like a NAA 22 which isn’t worth a squirt of piss in most cases. Thirdly, a second gun can still malfunction, particularly if it is some cheap mouse gun which is most likely what would be carried as a backup.

1. avatar JDC says:

1. Can’t argue with legality
      2. Who cares? An extra CW380 in a Recluse with extra mag is probably a pound and a 1/4. That would add 0.5% to my body weight.
      3. So carry three.

2. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

True enough. Also, the comparison picture shown above (micro-Kahr the same size as a GLOCK mag), is pretty misleading.

For one, it’s a 17 rounder. I think most people don’t carry a full size pistol. For two, it may be as long as the Kahr, but it’s not as tall, and it’s less gun-shaped. A magazine shaped pocket bulge is almost completely innocuous.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Most people might not carry a full-size G17, but a lot of people do carry full-size backup mags for their G19 or 26, M&P Compact, P229, 92FS Compact, etc.

3. avatar strych9 says:

I don’t think there is a rule in NM about carrying multiple pistols concealed.

New Mexico carry permits restrict you to the caliber you pass the shooting proficiency test with. If you want to carry a different caliber you need to pass with that caliber as well.

So far as I know there is nothing that says you can’t carry two (or more) 9mm pistols concealed so long as you have the 9mm qual passed. You just can’t carry a 9 and then a .38 as a BUG unless you get another permit for .38 as well.

Susana Martinez has mutliple permits and, when acting as a prosecutor, was known to conceal multiple handguns in multiple calibers (hence the multiple permits) when cartels and gangs were making threats on her life.

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

I’ll have to take a picture but it explicitly states on the NM ccw you can only carry 1 gun concealed.

1. avatar strych9 says:

I don’t trust legallyarmed. I’ve found their website to be woefully out of date in some cases. Ditto handgunlaw.us, the NRA etc.

I don’t live in NM any more so I don’t pay that close of attention to this but the relevant [published] regulation is 10.8.2.16 NMAC – N, 11-26-03; A, 11-30-05; A, 5-14-10

It states (per the NM Department of Public Safety and the New Mexico Codes and Statutes website): “No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that
          person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one (1) concealed handgun at any given time.

Elsewhere in the text of the Concealed Handgun Statute it carves out LEO’s and prosecutors which is how Martinez avoided any problems when she was a prosecutor. So, for your average citizen you’re completely correct about the law as currently posted.

I would point something else out here though. The legislature amended the NMSA in the 2016 legislative session, specifically in context of directing new regs for 10.8.2.16 NMAC. That amendment is supposed to be reflected in the regs laid out in the NMAC, but if you look at the dates they haven’t updated the publication since 2010. NMDPS is supposed to update the NMAC to compliance with the rules set forth in the NMSA but if they have they haven’t yet posted the changes made last year which means that who-bloody-well-knows exactly how the whole thing would be enforced.

4. avatar Gunr says:

Don’t knock the little NAA 22! I carry an NAA 22 magnum in my pocket (holstered) 24/7. At close range a hollow point bullet can be devastating, especially if it is put in the perps heart, or brain. Agreed that this is not the weapon of choice for ranges more than a few feet. It is strictly a back up gun. If the bullet doesn’t put you down, the flash will burn all the hair off your head, and scare you to death.
      Remember, Any gun is better than no gun at all. And oh yes, I carry a much more potent caliber along with my little pocket buddy.

8. avatar MarineGunfightingRules says:

“1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring their friends who have guns. “

9. avatar Eddie in Naw Kerlina says:

Can’t believe no one has brought up the possibility of encountering an anti- 2A prosecutor.

“He was OBVIOUSLY looking to kill someone. He was carrying TWO GUNS!!!”

*jury gasps*

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Just having the gun is enough for an anti gun prosecutor… During the Zimmerman trial, the Pro acted like a 7-round Kel-tec was a sub machine gun…

I use a shotgun for HD, instead of an AR, in part due to most muggles not being as scare of them. But, I’ll carry two guns, all day, and not think twice about the muggles.

It’s all individual risk preference.

2. avatar Timao Theos says:

Well, if you can show me a case where a justified shooting was ruled unjustified just because someone was legally carrying a BUG, cite it, otherwise…well, i;ll just end my post with otherwise.

10. avatar MarineGunfightingRules says:

“14. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work”

11. avatar JDC says:

I am really thinking about this whole “Maximum Carry” thing. I can also carry open. I could keep the FN in the messenger bag, add the SU-16B and Sub 2000 to that, pack the 629 over my back pocket, sling the bag over top of that. Then add all the concealed stuff in. I might be able to get up to 10.

1. avatar Gunr says:

Don’t forget the ankle holster.

12. avatar MarineGunfightingRules says:

” 21. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get. “

13. avatar G says:

I cant argue with the logic, but lugging around 1 handgun all day is work enough for me.

14. avatar Scrote McGee says:

Take it easy, Rambo.

15. avatar ThomasR says:

Back in the day, The Rabbi would post here now and then, and he was known for carrying 3 pistols. Which he got an incredible amount of adhominem attacks for. I figure each person carries what they found is reasonable for their particular circumstances.

I carried three pistols and an underfolder AK-47 in a back pack when I was going to testify against a local gangbanger when I stopped him from trying to kidnap and kill his girl friend. The police didn’t call me to testify and the gang didn’t try to retaliate.

Now I carry a full sized pistol with two mags and a pocket .380 with an extra mag. I figure that is reasonable for my circumstances.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I know an older gentleman who did some shady things in his youth. He is now retired and does firearms training on the weekends at his private range.

Good guy; I did some training with him, my wife did her first pistol class with him. Anyways, he packs a G19, .357 snubby, and something else he won’t tell me about, everyday. He also has a few bullet hole scars.

Funny how personal experiences can change perspective

16. avatar Conservatarian says:

I tend to keep things cost/time effective with the 90% solutions. Those that want to go further, have at it. its your decision, do what you want. I like putting lots of “90%” layers stacked together, giving a high probability of success with preventing bad things.

I carry 1 highly scrutinized and tested “pistol-ammo-magazine” combo at a time for personal defense. Its convenient, and therefore I’ll always have it with me, and it will almost certainly function reliably as it should. If I use a different mag, make a different ammo choice, etc. I now have an untested system, and its now a range toy. You get the idea…

Considering my circumstances and figuring all the layers in my personal defense strategy, I find it extremely unlikely I will ever even find myself in a situation where I will need more than what I have. Of the minute chance that I will need it, It is going to go BANG at least once since a round is already in battery without chance of a mag problem, and of the chance that is left that I need more than one BANG, it will be highly likely it will go BANG again for each successive attempt at the trigger. If I need more rounds than I have in the mag. They got me, and Its my fault for what would likely have been caused by multiple failures in the more outer layers of my defense strategy.

Could I have done more? Sure. Absolutely. I could take it all the way to the extreme by spending every waking moment, and every penny I have dedicated to the mission. I will likely then safely arrive at death having not spent any time to live while I was alive.

Please do not misunderstand, this is hyperbole for illustration. Each person has to make a choice of what is acceptable risk, and how to live with it. Clearly there is no “right” answer that fits for everyone.

TTAG does a great job stirring conversation on these subjects.

1. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

Cost can definitely be a factor, and it has to be considered. Absolutely right. Insurance is all about weighing the costs of risk vs. price.

17. avatar Kendahl says:

Carrying on your body is a PITA. The bigger and heavier the gun, the worse it is. If that weren’t true, there would be no market for the likes of NAA .22s and Keltec’s P-3AT and P-32. Yes, there are combinations of guns, magazines and ammunition that are unreliable. If you have the misfortune to own such, find a different combination that is reliable. But, it’s an exaggeration to say that you need two (or more) of everything because a combination with proven reliability still shouldn’t be trusted. The price of a backup gun is better spent on more ammunition so that you can learn to make better use of the reliable gun you already own.

1. avatar Richard Steven Hack says:

The “reliable gun” you have can still break. And certainly it can malfunction. Not every piece of ammunition is one hundred percent identical to the last one you fired.

That’s what the second mag or second gun is for: the outlier situation. When your survival is at stake, you plan for the outlier situation as far as is practical, subject to the obvious constraint that you’re not wearing an Iron Man suit.

18. avatar strych9 says:

I’m not sure about this suggestion. I’ll have to think about it. Nothing wrong with a BUG but I don’t generally consider it simply extra ammo.

The first thing that springs to my mind is “They call him Tutex, he tote two Tecs/and when he starts to bust he likes to ask ‘Who’s next?'”.

19. avatar JDC says:

In reality there is no really good argument for carrying less guns or ammo, except legality, and maybe cost.
    All the other reasons can be boiled down into this:
    “My ***** hurts.”
    Chief Petty Officer, USN (Retired)

1. avatar strych9 says:

Stop sitting on your gun then. LOL.

Nah, I agree, human laziness is a major problem. However, so is money. I don’t want to think about how many iterations I went through to find a carry set up that really works for me packing a full sized pistol.

1. avatar JDC says:

Don’t think that I have not fallen into this category, also. But when you think about it, that is true. Now there are possible exceptions (physically challenged), but really if you have the legality and cost settled, you can carry more. I literally don’t even consciously realize I have my CW380 on me any more. Even when I have carried two. If you don’t like the .380, Kahr, Ruger and others make really small 9’s and .40’s.

20. avatar None says:

My plan for if I have a malfunction at contact distance is to use my newly created S&W brand brass knuckles to muzzle fuck the hell out of the assailants face.

1. avatar Richard Steven Hack says:

Yup. You’re right. Make like John Wick and shove the gun barrel in the guy’s throat. One reason I liked that movie is he uses the gun as an impact weapon when he had contact range. After punching the guy in the throat, he shoots him in the head.

At contact range with a non-functional weapon, you resort to martial arts and weapon retention. Only once you’ve got a chance to move back a couple feet at least do you try to bring the gun back into action, especially if you’re out or it’s malfunctioned.

If the gun is functional at contact range, you should be shooting, of course.

It’s really not complicated.

21. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

Primary (Glock 26 or 30S) almost always appendix, with a spare mag for it. I do carry an LCP as a secondary pretty much all the time accessible by my off (left) hand, either in a left hand pocket or, in street clothes, IWB at 8 o’clock. A LEO suggested that placement as your primary hand might be 1) hurt, 2) grabbed, or 3) grappling with someone where you can’t use it to access the primary.

Again, like most things related to the carriage of arms, I do it that way not because I think I’m absolutely positively gonna need two firearms – I carry that way because I can, easily. Some marginal increase in benefit with no additional labor on my part.

1. avatar Kristensdad says:

I agree. I carry one full size concealed 9mm and on other side an extra mag and a Ruger LCP. Better safe than sorry. North Carolina law allows multiple guns when you have a ccp.

22. avatar Ryan says:

Like some of the above folks have mentioned in certain states such as mine here in New Mexico it is illegal to carry two concealed firearms, so that leaves me either breaking the laws of my state or carrying a quality firearm and plenty of ammo.
    Most days I carry either a Ruger LCR or a GLOCK 19 and always have at least 15 extra rounds handy.

23. avatar Gregolas says:

Winter in the UP of Michigan ? Fine. Easy to carry an extra gun. Alabama most of the year ? Unlikely. And ankle carry doesn’t meet the time parameters you’ve set in the article for a useful reload. Actual chance of mag failure ? 26 years with the same G19 and rotating 11 (including the 2 original) mags without a single malfunction tell me the chance of mag failure is zero point nuthin’ ! Yes, sometimes in winter the G43 is nice in the right breast pocket (for a left-hand draw, never know when that dominant hand will be put out of action) of my “carry coat” as a back up. But waist carry with a spare 15-Rd mag is about all you can humanly do in this climate.

1. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

I guess it depends on what you’re wearing, but if you’re wearing standard business-casual dress, a .380 like the LCP or Kahr easily fit in the pants pockets. Same is true for most casual shorts that I have (and the same goes double for cargo pants/shorts.)

I’ll allow that female fashion tends to be harder to work around.

24. avatar Steve P says:

If it’s about guns and from NY, you can keep it.

25. avatar DC Hannah says:

Different strokes for different folks; carry what works for you and master it.

I carry a Ruger reload: a GP100 .44Spl to back up my LCPII.

26. avatar former water walker says:

I’ll consider it. 2 handed gunfight sounds fun?

27. avatar ActionPhysicalMan says:

I carry two. Over time I just keep tooling up more. It is kind of like drinking I suppose.

28. avatar Darkman says:

Always remember that regardless of your plan. All plans go out the window when the first shots are fired. Carry what feels right. Practice as much as possible. Be aware of your surroundings. Follow the advice of General Madus. Be Polite Be Professional. Have a plan to Kill everyone you meet. That doesn’t mean you need to kill everyone just have a plan.

1. avatar James Drouin says:

“Mattis”, not “Madus”.

29. avatar Mikeoregon says:

My main carry piece is a M&P40pro 5″ with 2spare mags and a M&P40c on the other side, this balances well and gives me 27 chances to stop the threat, with 2 backup mags that will fit either pistol. I suppose if 57 rds. doesn’t get it done, well at least I had a chance.

30. avatar CEricks says:

NY reload just makes me think of the cost Billy Connoly wore on Boondock Saints….

31. avatar Ollie says:

Why is it called New York Reload ??? I thought ordinary peons couldn’t carry one pistol, much less two, in New York, unless you paid some big bribes to several officials.

32. avatar CLarson says:

Maybe TTAG should do an anonymous survey and we could indicate how many guns we carry, calibre, type, capacity, and etc.? It might be fun and useful to see how we all compare.

1. avatar Grump says:

GREAT idea.

33. avatar Grump says:

If you complain about weight, you’d better have almost no body fat. Some guy who’s thirty pounds heavier than he ought to be and who complains about a knife that weighs over six ounces is hysterical.

I carry a gun under my left armpit. That means I can reach it with with my right hand. Instead of a mag, I carry another of the same gun under my right armpit. That means I can reach it with my left hand. It also means I can draw and fire with either hand right NOW, regardless of which arm is holding someone off or being held by someone else.

I’ll never need to, I’m paranoid, yadda, yadda, yadda. You do your thing, I’ll do mine.

34. avatar Bob says:

lets see, would I like a Felony possession of an illegal firearm or chance the rare instance of a mag failure at less than 10 feet to bad guy?

Pa is a NO GO for carrying more than one firearm, unless you are hunting with a hunting licence AND a CCW.

Think I will pass on the backup gun, would be nice, not sure the logic behind it not being legal unless the big wigs thought you would go rambo on them for some reason…..

1. avatar Johannes Paulsen says:

There is no such limit in Pennsylvania.

2. avatar Mad Max says:

Which section of PA law specifies that you can’t carry two guns with a LTCF?

1. avatar Bob says:

You have to know how to read law text, its not a specific sections but the wording of the license.
        The license is to carry A firearm, not firearms, A!!! Singular.
        To back that up in the text for your hunting license they specifically state a second firearm may be carried for personal defense as long as you have a valid firearm permit with your hunting license and the defense weapon is not an obvious hunting weapon.

Again, interpretation of the law will be what makes or breaks your court case.

The law is conflicting however, as your license states “license to carry firearms” but the written law says “A firearm”

35. avatar Richard Steven Hack says:

Well, obviously, folks, if it’s ILLEGAL to carry two guns concealed where you live, then you don’t do it.

In that case, you’d better be carrying at least one more magazine than the one in the weapon.

And a good fighting knife you have some idea how to use (unless that’s illegal, too – welcome to California…)

36. avatar Mad Max says:

I do both; two guns and spare mags.

37. avatar BBMW says:

With revolvers, especially J-frames, I buy this. Autos? Nope. Make sure your gun is reliable before carrying it (and there after at the range.) Buy good quality magazines, and test them. Maybe don’t abuse your carry mags (Don’t do free fall reload drills with those.)

You’ll be fine.

38. avatar Gunr says:

I don’t see why more folks that only carry one gun, don’t carry NAA magnums for a back up gun. They weigh so little, you don’t even know it’s there. I carry mine in a holster in my front pocket 24/7

39. avatar Gunr says:

The author talks a lot about magazine malfunctions. I’ve never yet had a mag malfunction with my Ruger LCR in 38special +P. Only 5 rounds you say? That;s why I carry speed loaders and extra rounds, + an NAA mag for back up.

1. avatar Zebra Dun says:

I have, I fixed a Taurus TCP 738 by simply buying a magazine made in USA for the factory supplied one made in Brazil.
      Bought the pistol half price because the owner thought it was the gun not the magazine that failed.
      I never had a magazine fail on my S&W M-640 LOL

40. avatar Zebra Dun says:

There is a point to the argument.
    Carrying an extra magazine for say a Beretta Pico is the same as carrying another PIco with the extra magazine in it.
    I draw the line at three though.

41. avatar Phil Wong says:

…OK, according to your quote from Louis Awerbuck,

“[I]t will take approximately half a second before it sinks into your brain that you have a mechanical malfunction or have run out of ammo. Bearing in mind that your assailant has already closed distance by six feet in this half-second…and you have not physically even begun to fix the mechanical problem, it is obvious that at contact distances you don’t have a snowball’s hope in hell of neutralizing your incoming attacker with that firearm….”

Perfectly reasonable and realistic statement, and I certainly won’t dispute it.

But then, Mr. Paulsen immediately posits this scenario:

“If your only option is to do a malfunction drill when a determined enemy’s within three yards…English fails me. ¡Ay! ¡Qué fucked!”

Considering that:

– It’s pretty much axiomatic nowadays that an able-bodied “determined enemy” can cover SEVEN yards(21 feet) in 1.5 seconds or less;

– Per Mr. Awerbuck above, your reaction/comprehension time will eat up 0.5 seconds of that reactionary gap;

– In order to successfully shoot a determined enemy within 3 yards per your scenario, with your “New York Reload,” you need to have the ability to draw and fire your first shot on target with your second gun from its(presumably concealed) holster in UNDER 1 SECOND. And, unless that backup gun is holstered where your dominant hand can reach it quickly and easily, you’ll have to do that successfully WITH YOUR NON-DOMINANT/WEAK HAND. Unless you’re literally Bill Jordan/Jerry Miculek fast, AND your backup gun is in a belt-mounted speed holster, I don’t see where you’ll have enough space or time to pull it off successfully – if that backup gun is in a pocket, or, Gawd forbid, an ankle holster – fuggedaboutit…

I carry two spare magazines for my Glock, because I have the room for them on my belt. I also carry a backup J-frame, because I have the room for it in my front pocket. At close-range/contact-distance, I know better than to try using either of them in a fight against one or more “determined enemies” without first using either bare hands or a contact weapon to attain positional advantage first…

42. avatar Phil Wong says:

FYI, this video shows that even under ideal conditions, a “New York Reload” takes just as much time, if not slightly more, than a speed-reload when using a semi-auto pistol: https://youtu.be/pieiIbfl8SI

About the only scenario where dropping the first gun to immediately draw a second makes sense is shown here by Massad Ayoob, where the first gun happens to be a snubby revolver or a subcompact pistol that is not compatible with spare magazines already on the belt: https://youtu.be/aUxYXwbP3nI

43. avatar Kevin B. says:

New Mexico carry laws permit you to carry one concealed handgun. Not two. New York reload is out.