Quote of the Day: The ‘Living Embodiment’ of Why People Shouldn’t Have Guns in Their Homes

“Mrs. Green, you are a living example of why people should not have guns in their house. And I’m not saying that just to you. I say it to myself, too. I was an assistant prosecutor, and assistant United States attorney, defense lawyer and a judge for 30-some years, and I never owned a gun. And I never owned a gun was because . . .

“when I was a prosecutor, early in my legal career, I was trying a homicide case and there was a murder in the first degree, and the man who had been killed when these young people walked in his store to try to rob him, he tried to go for his gun and they killed. And the detective, I said to him,

“‘I should get me a gun.’ And he said to me, ‘Dalton, you don’t need a gun in your house because if someone comes into your house, or contacts you on the street, if you go for the gun you end up getting killed.'” – Judge Dalton Robertson in Judge to Detroit mother in You are living example of why people should not have guns at home [via clickondetroit.com]

comments

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

“… if you go for [your] gun you end up getting killed.” – Judge Dalton Robertson

Can someone please link the reliable data which shows people who resist violent crime have WAY lower injury rates?

1. avatar jwm says:

We just had still another dgu reported here within a couple of days ago. Old guy being jumped by 2 young guys. Beating him and had their gun out. He shot the one with the gun.

Happens all the time. Maybe the judge should amend his statement to cover only the crooks not having guns. Will ensure they live long enough to stand in front of the judge.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

jwm,

There is a highly credible source of extensive data which conclusively shows that victims who resist violent crime have a higher survival rate and lower injury rate.

2. avatar jt says:

I’m pretty sure the detective had correctly sized him up as a man, and the advice was meant specifically for him.

He, not realizing the insult, took it mean that NO ONE is capable of protecting themselves… which is some sort of projection.

1. avatar Swarf says:

There it is.

2. avatar Eli2016 says:

Yes. Agreed.

3. avatar Richard Kennedy says:

Couldn’t have said it better.

4. avatar jwm says:

Spot on.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Uncommon sense, IIRC that is FBI data which comes out each year, likelihood of injury if you defend yourself with a gun, with a different weapon, with no weapon, or do not attempt to defend yourself. Every time I’ve seen it reported, the least injuries were in the “defend yourself with a gun” category, even lower than the “just give it up” category.

3. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

There is a study showing that. I think it was done by a federal agency, during the Obama administration. There might be some reference to it in “FACTS ABOUT GUNS” link at the top of the page, but I didn’t see anything that stood out as definitely that.

4. avatar Higgs says:

No but I can link to this sumary-

of this CDC research

The report presents a lot of facts. It then try to dispute some of it with conjecture orr a need for more research, probably because the fact do nt match there theory.

5. avatar Daily Beatings says:

That would be research done by Florida State Professor Gary Kleck:

Kleck, Gary and Jongyeon Tark. 2005. “Resisting Crime: The Effects of Victim Action on the Outcomes of Crimes.” Criminology 42(4):861-909.

Kleck, Gary and Marc Gertz. 1995. “Armed Resistance to Crime: the Prevalence and Nature of Self-defense with a Gun.” Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology 86(1):150-187.

2. avatar Hellguard says:

I know better than everyone else… so my opinion is obviously fact. Love that mentality.

1. avatar Patrulje68 says:

“Appeal to authority” is a common logic fallacy.

1. avatar MouseGun says:

“Respect my authoritah!”
        -Eric Cartman

1. avatar Ed says:

Judge Dalton Robertson, You are a living example of why one person should not be able to pass judgement on any other one person. Idiot.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I don’t really object to a lot of the common logical fallacies. If an authority I trust says something, I’m going with it.

That said, “a cop” isn’t an authority I’m going to trust.

2. avatar Mr. Pierogie says:

I believe it was Plato who called it the ‘supercilious schmuck’ fallacy. I could be wrong though.

3. avatar Accur81 says:

Gotta “love” that fighting advice from someone who’s no good at fighting. I wonder what the response would be if you said cops and soldiers shouldn’t carry guns for the same reason.

3. avatar Gman says:

So we little people are far better off defenseless and reliant upon the good will and charity of criminals because we are all too stupid or incompetent enough to keep and use firearms safely and effectively. Yep, that’s the liberal progressive party line sure enough.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Obviously true, given the well known fact that criminals as a rule go to school for years and years to become invincible experts in the offensive use of all firearms, in between their classes in breaking and entering, raping and murdering, etc. This is why they never enter the criminal world as professionals until their 40s.

4. avatar TyrannyOfEvilMen says:

Well, by that logic, I hope the judge doesn’t have a grandchild and a swimming pool.

5. avatar Missouri_Mule says:

I guess he has never heard of self defense training….

Clearly not WISE enough to be a judge.

6. avatar Shire-man says:

Goddamn that’s a whole lotta unintelligible nonsense. Somebody check that judge for a McCain tumor.

7. avatar Wiregrass says:

That detective probably gave that advice based on personal knowledge of this judge more than anything else.

8. avatar Pwrserge says:

You see this? This is why we have the 2nd amendment.

1. avatar Dan Zimmerman says:

You might say he is the living embodiment of why we have the Second Amendment.

2. avatar Swilson says:

^This, hell yea.

9. avatar Luke Yarasheski says:

I sure hope he walked to court then. Shouldnt use an automobile. Way too dangerous. And why the hell would you need a gun in Detroit in the first place…. Oh yeah. Gangbangers running around left and right and a 45 min response time for police. Public service and the justice system at its finest

10. avatar JeffR says:

“If that’s the case, detective, why do you carry a gun?”

1. avatar Chris. says:

Cause I’m highly blah blah blah; and yearly qualifications prove that blah blah blah.

11. avatar slimjim says:

One word. Coward

12. avatar scooter says:

Wow… I’m… wow. Bright enough to be a judge, but not bright enough to Google “defensive gun uses” or “armed self defense” I suppose.

1. avatar Jomo says:

You actually don’t have to be very bright to be a judge. In some locations it is just another elected office. And passing the bar isn’t mathematics or science, it’s rote memorization.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

” And passing the bar isn’t mathematics or science, it’s rote memorization.”

Here’s something to scare you – Getting your MD is over 90 percent “rote memorization.”

“The ‘Doctor’ will see you now…”

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

Passing the bar is not rote memorization. You have to memorize rules and then apply those rules to fact patterns.

That said, I know some stupid lawyers.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

And some really smart ones.
          I’ve relied on a couple through the years. The list is short.

13. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Judge Dalton, your are a living example of why we need the Second Amendment. Because there will always be people like you, in positions of power in government, who think you know what’s best for me or what tools I should possess for my own security.

Our founders knew we needed the Second Amendment because of people like you.

14. avatar Hayabusa says:

Hey, I heard this anecdote one time about some guy who crashed his car and it caught on fire, and he couldn’t get his seatbelt undone and he died. So no one should ever wear seatbelts.

/So much stupid.

15. avatar Stoney Man says:

Judge is a racist. He thinks that minorities shouldn’t own guns and holds himself up as an example.

16. avatar jwtaylor says:

He just as well told every rape victim to just lay back and enjoy it.

1. avatar Slab Rankle says:

Correct.

If the victim is armed, then it’s possible that two people may get hurt, rather than just one.

Don’t you find that logic compelling?

Moral equivalence colors every aspect of liberal ideology.

17. avatar Mad Max says:

Without situational awareness and firearms practice, maybe he shouldn’t have a firearm.

18. avatar MontieR says:

Says the twisted mentality that it is morally superior to be unarmed and DEAD than armed and ALIVE. I choose life, MY life.

1. avatar Desert Dave says:

Even armed and DEAD, having tried to defend yourself, is better than being unarmed, cowardly and what ever plus dead. Maybe giving your life and having removed the perp from the mortal realm.

19. avatar Mike Oergon says:

If a person can say ” Guns are bad because they make killing people to easy.” Then can follow that statement with” Self defense with a firearm is too difficult for most people.” That person is a moron.

20. avatar Snatchums says:

Owning a gun, without the will and knowledge to use it when necessary, absolutely is a far greater danger to yourself than being unarmed.

I’d let my mother keep one of mine in her house if I thought that there was ANY chance of her actually using it to put down a bad guy intent on doing her harm.

As it stands IF she got to a gun in a DGU (and that’s a really big if) there’s nearasdamnit 100% chance it’s going to just be taken from her without firing a shot.

She’s the living embodiment of why a gun shouldn’t be kept in the house (of some people).

21. avatar HandyDan says:

So one guy gave him some anecdotal advice 30 some years ago and he isn’t embarrassed to be spreading that today? I’m embarrassed for him.

1. avatar Serpent Vision says:

When it’s advice that happens to support your prejudice, it’s a solid foundation.

2. avatar Big E says:

Obviously you weren’t paying attention- he said a detective told him that. A DETECTIVE! Case-closed, can’t argue with that.

22. avatar JDH says:

The stupid is strong in this “judge.”

23. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH) says:

YMMV

24. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Well, bless his heart.

25. avatar million says:

If victims fight back, then they’re just making it worse for themselves.

26. avatar Peter says:

There is no T in his last name, it’s Roberson, you know, son of a robber. 😉

1. avatar Ollie says:

Well, now he has to release all of them on low/no bail because they all know he is unarmed and an easy target for retribution.

27. avatar Andrew Lias says:

If more criminals got shot or got out of the profession due to the risk, it’d put him out of a job.

28. avatar Joe R. says:

He just blurted out why he should have recused himself from every case he’s ever tried involving a gun, and from every case he might ever try.

He should have just said “you know why I became a judge? Because it suits me.”

PACK YER SH_T AND GO THE F HOME STUPID.

29. avatar Docduracoat says:

Some things are worse than death
    It is worth risking death by “going for your gun” than to have your family raped in your own home by a home invader criminal with a gun
    A real man fights back
    Even if he gets killed

30. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Because that store owner wasn’t up to it and some idiot told him he wouldn’t be competent, he assumes no one else would be either. Besides, all the “gun safety” people tell him he’s incompetent so why shouldn’t he believe he’s incompetent?

31. avatar former water walker says:

I guess ANY one can be a judge in DE-troit. Duh…

32. avatar DerryM says:

Ironically, the cited article continues reporting the Detroit Police Chief is urging Detroit Homeowners to “arm-up” and analyzing the incident as not accidental. The Chief implies the incident could have been prevented by training.

Apparently, neither Ms. Green, nor the “Judge” paid sufficient heed to the Police Chief’s advice. In that Ms. Green was negligent and the “Judge’s” admonition embarrassingly dimwitted. There are many things one can form an opinion about based on one experience, or one piece of advice, but this is not one of them, particularly when living in a lawless situation like Detroit.

33. avatar H says:

You left your child unattended and he gets into your lubes. Really this is TMI.
    Maybe secure the toys. Or do you want Bloomberg to outlaw them? Different cuffs my friend. Background checks for Astraglyde? You can only purchase one “novelty” per month? Oh that would make you unhappy. Took your rights away?!!!

34. avatar Sian says:

Note to all criminals: Judge Dalton Roberson of Detroit has made it public record that there are zero guns about his home or person.

35. avatar DaProf says:

What a maroon.

Having a gun doesn’t guarantee you a win. Just gives you options to survive you wouldn’t have otherwise.

Nor does this “judge” respect the Constitution, it seems.

36. avatar J says:

A prime example of why detroit is detoilet.

37. avatar SigFan says:

So one guy screws up and gets himself killed 40 years ago and that means no one should own a gun. Makes sense to me!

38. avatar Publius says:

So, according to this detective, cops and soldiers don’t need guns because having guns would get them killed.

“Dalton, you don’t need a gun in your house because if someone comes into your house, or contacts you on the street, if you go for the gun you end up getting killed.”

Give that judge a gun! Please!

40. avatar Dan Cancellieri says:

That dufus seems to be saying: If someone breaks into your house, just lay down and die.
    I don’t think so, I will die in a pile of hot brass before I do that……………

41. avatar OldLawProf says:

The best source for accurate data regarding crime and firearms is

42. avatar Paranoid prepper says:

Second one out of the holster usually loses a gunfight. That being said, I feel like most criminals aren’t planning on armed resistance when comitting a crime. I’ll take my chances

43. avatar G says:

It would be reasonable to assume most gun owners are not trained in any way. However, it is equally unreasonable to believe that the average criminals has any training either. So the odds are really in the untrained civilians favor considering hes probably been to a shooting range at least a couple times, wheres a criminal likely never fired his gun before.

44. avatar BLoving says:

Normally, I’d like to tag a comment earlier, but I got here late. It did give me a chance to look over everyone else’s comments and to notice that seemingly no one has clicked the link and read WHY this judge was lecturing this person: she left a loaded gun in her purse and her kid found it and shot himself in his hand.
    Whatever else we may think of this judge, the woman he was lecturing was by no means a great example of a gun owner.

1. avatar Paranoid prepper says:

I think most of the comments were in response to the judges anecdote. However I agree, terribly irresponsible of her. Her kid is 9, he definitely should have had some firearms safety classes by now.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I don’t disagree with you that this woman shouldn’t have a gun, but by the same reasoning, she also shouldn’t have children. A nine year old is plenty old enough to know better than to shoot himself.

I’d really need more information to come to an opinion either way on this.

45. avatar bob300 says:

More proof that a college education does not make a person smart.

46. avatar Timmy! says:

Y’r honor, with all due respect, go f*ck yourself.

47. avatar AFGus says:

Soooo glad that I don’t live in Detroit if he’s an example of the Justice System there.