Florida Woman Shoots Ex-Boyfriend Armed With an AR: Defensive Gun Use of the Day

First, a little background on the the deceased, one Frank Harrison [via tampabay.com]. . .

In 2003, Harrison and Guinn [the woman who eventually shot Mr. Harrison] made headlines when 23-year-old Shane Lani Sampson took a fatal shotgun blast to the stomach at the Zephyrhills duplex where Guinn lived at the time.

Harrison went to Guinn’s home looking for a shotgun to settle an argument with another man, according to Tampa Bay Times coverage of the incident.

Authorities picked up Harrison a week later in Hillsborough County on unrelated drug charges. A state prosecutor added a third-degree murder charge.

Although it appeared he had not intended to shoot Sampson, Harrison, a convicted felon, could not legally possess a firearm.

State corrections records show Harrison has served several prison stints since 1991 for charges including robbery with a gun or deadly weapon and cocaine possession. He was most recently released from prison in August.

I guess 14 years in jail didn’t rehabilitate Mr. Harrison. Color me surprised.

According to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, Frank Harrison, 45, had reportedly made previous threats to his former girlfriend, 38-year-old Alejandrina Guinn.

When Harrison arrived at her home at 5547 Armstrong St. with the rifle [on Saturday], Guinn opened the door and fatally shot him in what appears to be a case of self-defense, officials said.

Appears? When an ex-con shows up at your door armed with a rifle, having made death threats, I think it’s safe to assume that shooting him is a defensive gun use.

Anyway, this is another case where it’s clear that the criminal justice system can’t keep you safe from a homicidal criminal. As if you didn’t know . . .

comments

1. avatar Ed Rogers says:

It makes me wonder, just how”law-abiding” this woman is. I mean, you’re known by the company you keep…

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Former girlfriend. Former.

From the context, I read this as he wanted her to take him back, she said no, he wouldn’t take no for an answer, and then ugliness happened.

If so, good on her, for choosing to leave, for recognizing the danger she was in, and for taking steps to keep herself safe.

1. avatar FedUp says:

After 14 years, most women will have moved on with their lives…

2. avatar Big Bill says:

“and for taking steps to keep herself safe.”

Did she have a restraining order? Because we know restraining orders are for just this type of situation,and will keep you safe.
        What? They don’t?
        Oh. Never mind.

2. avatar Jon in CO says:

This is sorta where I’m at with the story too. Granted, people do make bad decisions and fix it, so it’s possible she made one and fixed it.

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

I’d like to know what her weapon of choice was. What took down the mythical AR?

1. avatar Michael B. says:

She didn’t take down an AR. She took down the guy who had the AR.

2. avatar jwm says:

The weakness of the AR was the loose nut at the end of the stock. She shot him and the situation was over.

Doesn’t matter what kind of whiz bang gear the other guy has. Shoot him dead at first contact and your immediate problem is over.

Mike B. beat me to it cause I got long winded.

1. avatar Arod529 says:

Haha, that genuinely made me laugh.

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

This is true, but whatever she shot him with incapacitated him fast enough that he could not return fire.

1. avatar jwm says:

He died of natural causes. Its natural to die when you been shot.

2. avatar Big Bill says:

“He died of natural causes. Its natural to die when you been shot.”
          No, it’s natural to die of a gunshot would when you are a violent felon.

3. avatar Xspectre8 says:

I thought Omar got shot by a little kid in that convenience store. Guess not!

1. avatar The Rookie says:

I bet he was just lookin’ for some Honey Nut Cheerios…

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

no, he forsake those as well as “nut’n’honey” for the latest offering, “nuttin’, bitch!”

4. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yet another story with a happy ending.

1. avatar Hunter427 says:

I bet they voted Democrat too

1. avatar Michael B. says:

Just had to go there didn’t you.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

If I was a betting man, I bet they didn’t vote.

1. avatar Dan in CO says:

He’s dead now; he’s definitely voting democrap in the next general election.

2. avatar neiowa says:

If I was a betting man, I’d bet they each voted 5 times. Perhaps, without even going to the pols.

5. avatar Danny Griffin says:

I am continually amazed by the poor choices some people make in choosing a boyfriend, girlfriend, and spouse.

1. avatar jwm says:

Yep. I blame a lot of it on youth. We start making those choices when we’re too young and dumb to see the right way.

And our system doesn’t forgive youthful mistakes. Couple of bad choices at 19 and the system does not forgive or forget. Legal or love.

Legal adult age should be 25 and parents should have absolute life and death power over their kids.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

Abortion in the first trimester, abortion in the 102nd trimester?

1. avatar jwm says:

Retroactive abortions are more understandable than the other type.

I hope you understand I was windbagging a little, just a little, about the life and death thing.

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

Yeah, I knew. That doesn’t mean I could resist.

3. avatar neiowa says:

But you’re right. Not much cute about many PITA 18yr olds. If lucky you can occasionally get more work out of one than a 2month old.

2. avatar anonymoose says:

The hell with that. My dad tried to run me over with the truck when I was a kid for not playing good enough at a hockey practice. Some parents just need to be institutionalized.

1. avatar Big Bill says:

“Some parents just need to be institutionalized.”
          And if you’ve never seen such parents, you should probably get outside a little more.

6. avatar Docduracoat says:

I love happy endings!
    I would also like to know the weapon the woman used

7. avatar Klause Von Schmitto says:

Ah Zephyrhills. These are my peeps.

No one asks me why I carry a gun.

1. avatar Sian says:

I was surprised. You usually get this sort of thing in west Pasco, ZHills is pretty quiet. (Aside from the goddamn roosters)

So we’ve learned a couple of times in the last week that a rifle does not always beat a handgun (although that would be the way to bet).

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Clint Eastwood proved that like 53 years ago.

9. avatar former water walker says:

Good for her. How felonious dead homie didn’t get a life sentence (and stay in the joint) is beyond me…and now he HAS.

10. avatar The Duke says:

WTF?

The shotgun just magically went off in someone’s stomach? Must have been a Remington then

He didn’t intend to kill someone he just held them at gunpoint with a shotgun. So unless I’m mistaken you don’t point a gun at something you don’t intend to kill/destroy

Whoever wrote those statements is a moron, none of my guns magically go off (Remington’s included) and I don’t point it at people unless I’m under grievously bodily harm

1. avatar G says:

What i took from it was that he was looking for someone else but, shot someone else by accident. I highly doubt he had any kind of training. … Or Maybe he just got lucky and got the best public defender ever

1. avatar former water walker says:

There you go…dindu nuffin’?

2. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

You are mistaken. You aren’t willing to kill/destroy. If I’m pointing a gun at someone, I’m willing, but perhaps not intending, to kill/destroy them.

1. avatar The Duke says:

My point exactly, he claimed (or someone else did for him) that he never intended to kill that person yet he’s jamming a shotgun in their gut.

1. avatar TX_Lawyer says:

I’m just making the distinction between intending and willing. Intending means that the result was the goal. Willing means that the result was not the goal. It was likely to happen, perhaps even probable, but not the intended result.

3. avatar Big Bill says:

This is the news media, which never accuses anyone of anything (unless it’s to the media’s political advantage).
      Thus, even someone is filmed (videoed) doing something, the perp “allegedly” did something.
      So we hear talking heads tell us that it “appears” the person is shooting, or some similar pablum.
      So, in this case, the gun fired while it was merely being held. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

11. avatar SurfGW says:

This woman deserves a medal for not letting this thug with an assault rifle intimidate and abuse her!

1. avatar Big Bill says:

An AR is not an assault rifle.
      And it’s not even an assault weapon unless it conforms to a specific set of rules, determined by people who perfectly understand the parts of a firearm, including that shoulder thingy that goes up and the difference between a clipazine and a, um, whatever it is.

12. avatar Soylent Green says:

Imagine what society would be like if we had a justice system that worked?

13. avatar IYearn4nARnCali says:

As mentioned by others, this gem just struck out with dazzling stupidity like a diamond amidst feces:

“While Harrison held the shotgun, it went off, striking Sampson, a husband and father of a girl who was 14 months old at the time.”

That’s not how this thing called reality works, that’s not how it works at all. Finger on the trigger = guilty, finger pulls trigger = guilty, going to the house with the shotgun to confront another person = guilty for what transpires after, gun “GOING OFF” without human operation of trigger = continuing stupidity of negating the possibility of being sued for making factual statements, it pervades all these darn stories and it’s just laughably stupid.

14. avatar jwm says:

Hi Point? Lorcin? Jennings? Whatever it was it stamped “The End” on homey de clowns medical records.

1. avatar bLoving says:

I’ll be gracious and guess a SD9ve.
      Though Hi-points do “work”. This may have proved it.

1. avatar jwm says:

I got a sigma. While it’s my least favorite pistol, I much prefer a revolver and my Mak fills my semi auto needs, the ugly thing works. And works.

I’m in no doubt that it will go bang every time I pull the trigger.

15. avatar fteter says:

Thank you, Alejandrina Guinn, for upgrading the gene pool.

16. avatar Vitsaus says:

Looks like that woman just saved the taxpayers a whole lot of money.