How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Jacket: Just Thought I’d Leave This Here

A little link love for a fellow gun blogger, wherein The Firearm Blog’s James ruins perfectly good outwear to prove that you can indeed shoot a snubbie through a jacket pocket. At bad breath distance. But not a semi.

Personally, I like to carry my firearm in a holster so I can remove said gun and show it to the bad guy. To dissuade the perp or perps and have a much better chance of hitting someone posing an imminent, credible threat of grievous bodily harm or death.

One thing: don’t do this with a ported gun. The side blast would be extremely painful. And no, I’m not going to test it. Oh, and GET OFF THE X. Just sayin’ . . .

comments

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Actually, you can shoot a semi-auto handgun through a coat pocket.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you will most likely only get ONE SHOT because the coat pocket will probably interfere with the slide on the pistol when the slide tries to cycle after the shot.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

…unless you are pressing the semi-auto forward far enough in the pocket to move the slide back slightly, taking it out of battery. In which case you don’t even get one shot.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Good point!

2. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

More likely than the coat pocket preventing the slide from reciprocating, it probably prevents the empty shell from being ejected. The other potential peril is getting a nasty slide bite from not being able to get a proper grip inside the pocket.

2. avatar Jeff K says:

Tried it with 2 different jackets just to see; Ruger LCR .357 shooting Remington 38+Ps. Holes were impressive, didn’t care about the jackets.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Especially after the shots lol

3. avatar Gilbert says:

Thin cotton jacket = FIRE

4. avatar Jeff K says:

One cotton, one nylon, no fire.

1. avatar jwm says:

In the black powder days shooting from inside your clothing was likely to be more dangerous fire wise. I’ve heard accounts of muzzle flash setting peoples clothes on fire during those times.

5. avatar Chris says:

Viva la Kojak!

6. avatar Geoff PR says:

This result was a surprise?

1. avatar Matt says:

I’m surprised the hammer didn’t snag. What I tested with a hammer Smith, it snagged first shot every time.

IMO, shrouded or “hammerless” is the way to go if you really want this to be a viable multishot option.

7. avatar jwm says:

The best thing about the snubbie in the jacket pocket is you can talk to the person but have your hand on a functional gun without ever presenting it.

Even in a bad hood not every encounter requires a show of force.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

This is also one of the few advantages for purse carry.

1. avatar jwm says:

Gov. I didn’t know. Not that I’d pass judgement or nothing like that.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

No, the wife uses purse carry, not me.

The other advantages are that she can carry a heavier bulkier pist ol than on body and she doesn’t have to change her wardrobe. Of course these are all pretty well offset by the disadvantages that have been widely publicized around here.

2. avatar Swarf says:

I don’t know, jwm. Some guys around here seem to think that if you are not actively waving your dick in a potential aggressor’s face before eye contact has been made, you are a weakling and as good as dead. Forget keeping your gun concealed.

1. avatar jwm says:

Every situation plays out differently. I have displayed a gun when I thought it needed. Have fired a gun when needed. Never rushed into it, tho.

Backed a guy off real fast with a knife one night. Knives seem to scare the hell out of people moreso than guns.

8. avatar testu says:

that jacket come in a mens size?

9. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

If you’re going to shoot from your pocket, a compact revo lver is the better option. However if you’re going to pocket carry without a ho lster, my recommendation would be carry a semi-auto with the chamber empty. Odds of having to shoot through your pocket are much lower than the odds of having a nasty accident, even with a DA trigger.

10. avatar samuraichatter says:

Dude scares me. Totally has a hard on @ 3:20

1. avatar Ing says:

Of course I had to go look. (I think you’re right.) Sometimes I hate the internet.

1. avatar jwm says:

He’s got a gun in his pocket and he’s happy to see you. Shudder.

2. avatar pete says:

*notices bulge* OwO

11. avatar Warren says:

Your idea of a good jacket and my idea of a good jacket are two very different things. That is one of the worst jackets I’ve ever seen.

12. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

You have a strange definition of “perfectly good.”

Also, check out this very good video on the same subject by Paul Harrell on YouTube.

13. avatar Jeff82 says:

Go to Goodwill and get as many jackets as you need for testing.

14. avatar Robb says:

A) Skip to the 3:00 mark.

B) I’d like to see this replicated with a jacket with a slanted pocket; not the typical pocket shown here. Like most jackets most of us are gonna wear when we wear one. I wonder if the semiauto would function better in that pocket. Not that I carry a semiauto ‘naked’.

15. avatar James Reeves says:

Thanks for posting this, Robert – I know I don’t necessarily fit the TTAG mold so it’s appreciated. I agree completely on holster versus pocket (and, as an NRA instructor, I think I’m probably obligated to anyways) but I was surprised with the BG perforation factor with this particular method. Thanks again for the link love.