CapArms Question of the Day: GLOCK’s New Front Slide Serrations: Yes, No or Who Cares?

That there’s the new Gen 4 GLOCK 17 FS. The “FS” standing for “Front Serrations.” Yes, those ridges are such a big deal that the GLOCK 17, so equipped, gets its own model designation! I guess they couldn’t name the “new” gun after the steel sights. A Teutonic GLOCK SS might not fly so well in the U.S. market. Anyway . . .

What’s the point? To ruin the GLOCK’s deadly-dull aesthetics? No, of course not. You can use the front serrations to “pinch check” your firearm: pull back the slide to make sure there’s a cartridge in the chamber. (See: Jeff Gonzales: The Folly of the ‘Press Check.)

So, what’s your take? GLOCK front slide serrations: yes, no or who gives a sh*t?

If you’re in the latter camp, remember: first it’s front slide serrations. Next thing you know, you’ve got an extended mag release button and slide stop, a better trigger — why can’t they just leave Brittany alone?  I mean GLOCK.

comments

1. avatar Todd P. says:

Looks great. No reason to be upset, it’s just a special run, standard models are without.

2. avatar Missouri Mule says:

can’t see em anyway. Who cares?

3. avatar PK says:

I’m 100% behind having front serrations. I just wish it was available on the still-made Gen3 models.

Press-check? No interest one way or the other. I really like pistol optics like the RMR, and I prefer to not grab the optic when manipulating the slide.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

I love using the optic on a pistol to rack the slide! Karate chop that thing 🙂

4. avatar bobmcd says:

WGAS. I check my GLOCK by touching the extractor, which is also a loaded-chamber indicator.

5. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

It doesn’t do anything for me, but it’s nothing to get hung about.

6. avatar Henry C. says:

It’s as if Glock has the laziest design engineers. They could’ve angled the front serrations. These look ugly AF.

7. avatar zoss says:

Why don’t they just offer some sort of “custom shop” upgrade system for their product and include all sorts of nifty stuff besides just front serrations?

Stuff like custom stippling, sight upgrades, etc,etc?

I know Glock is the king of KISS, but why not?

1. avatar Justin Case says:

Because it would take another $2000 to make it pretty… and you’d end up with a Glock that looks like a 1911.

1. avatar zoss says:

Yeah, but you know how it is- the heart wants what the heart wants.

I’m sure loads of people would pay for a custom glock, done by glock…..

8. avatar Isaac says:

I love my Glock and all… but this seems like a marketing gimmick to keep sales up post Obama/Clinton.

9. avatar DDay says:

who cares

10. avatar Mr.Savage says:

it’s a glock, who cares. ugly with or without.

11. avatar pete says:

Nope. Don’t use ’em and it’s extra work and lines. It’s a minor thing, there’re a million other things I look at in a gun, but for what it’s worth I’m 100% against it.

12. avatar Sean says:

I don’t give a shit. But I don’t know if it going to change a customers mind over buying an XD, XDm, M&P, PPQ, Ruger American, CZ, Sig 320, or Canik. All of which I would buy before a Glock.

1. avatar Jeff k says:

No glock for me, at bottom of list for lots of reasons.

13. avatar Code3Patriot says:

They don’t detract from the pistol, and I find myself doing way more press checks since Jeff Gonzales told me not to. IMO, Glock is trying to do things (this and the MOS) to keep the sales strong until they eventually release the M/Gen 5 series to the public.

14. avatar MamaLiberty says:

Attempting to give a damn… FAIL… abort attempt to give a damn…

15. avatar JustMe says:

Too little, too late, from Glock. They could have done so much with that platform, and they’ve done so little. Look to other companies for innovation.

16. avatar Ed says:

Hey look! They managed to make it even uglier!

17. avatar Anthony O'Nan says:

Id like them if theyd put any kind of effort into their design, that 90° angle makes them look like last ditch glocks from the upcoming WW3. Would it have killed them to put them at any kind of angle or at least make them not look like a damn crosswalk?

1. avatar NineShooter says:

Yeah, because there’s definitely a “right” and a “wrong” way to do these.
      *eyeroll*

18. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

19. avatar K Maiden says:

Don’t care.
    One Glock is more than enough and its a gen1. Did I say don’t care?

20. avatar Gregolas says:

Front serrations are, as Jeff Cooper said on a different subject, “The answer to a question nobody asked.” They are a butt-ugly, useless affectation.

21. avatar dph says:

Who cares. I like the serrations on the M&P’s.

22. avatar former water walker says:

Is it PERFECT© now??

No — it’s More Perfecter than Ever Before! It’s Perfection Perfected!

1. avatar unknown says:

However coined ‘glock perfection’ was a moron.

23. avatar strych9 says:

Meh.

24. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

My semi-custom G-19 already has ’em. I like having them.

25. avatar Mark Horning says:

I have never used front serrations for anything, on any handgun. Mostly they just look stupid.

It’s a legacy of the old open class shooting disciplines where folks put optics on 1911s and thus couldn’t grasp the rear serrations. Hate them on 1911’s and they look just as stupid on Glocks.

26. avatar jwm says:

This is CA. Those serrations make it an entirely new pistol that has to be submitted, along with a fee, to be tested before it can be approved on our list.

1. avatar Bob in Calif says:

And we know that isn’t going to happen because of the micro-stamping BS. So many offerings in the market that we will never see here.

2. avatar NineShooter says:

Hell, in CA a different frame COLOR makes it an entirely new pistol that has to be submitted, along with a fee, to be tested before it can be approved on your list.

1. avatar twency says:

Hey, pink polymer means it might not be drop-safe, ok?

27. avatar I Am Not a Hero says:

i prefer the look without the front slide serrations, but if i ever saw a good deal on one with them, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker

28. avatar rt66paul says:

A left handed shooter just might want the front serrations because it would be easier to release the slide lock on the Glock. Or he can just buy and use a CZ that can be used either way. I have seen guys show how to use your index finger on the left hand to control the slide release or the index or middle finger to drop the mag.
    If that is your main 99% of the time shooting plastic, that is ok, but right handed handguns are not all the same, many of the buttons and levers are in other places that are covered by the fingers on you left hand, so there is a huge learning curve.
    being able the rack the slide from the front allows you the use of your right thumb to release it.

29. avatar Hippi says:

Its like putting power windows in a yugo

30. avatar Mr. AR says:

What’s the upcharge to have more steel taken out of the front of the slide?

31. avatar Noishkel says:

I’m pretty anti Glock in general. But that’s a good feature.

32. avatar LCpl Schmuckatelli says:

Whooooooooooooo carrrrrrresssssss?

Nobody.

Game Over.

33. avatar Boba Fett says:

Honestly, I never really saw the need for rear serrations either. I’ve never encountered a pistol with recoils springs so strong that I couldn’t just grip it and rack the slide. If I’m firing a new pistol, or one that I’m not familiar with, then I will occasionally do a “pinch check” (I didn’t know there was a name for it) just to make sure a round got chambered properly. But even then, if it doesn’t have front serrations, and my hands are oily or sweaty, I still don’t have trouble scootching the slide back half an inch to verify. But that’s just me; I’m sure there are dangerous men in muddy places who need serrations.

1. avatar Isaac says:

They’re helpful for clearing some jams (cheap aluminum cased shitastic ammo… never again split a couple cases). But also sometimes wet and/or freezing conditions (particularly when it’s snowing and I’m wearing gloves) they are really helpful.

1. avatar Boba Fett says:

That’s fair. I guess old people with arthritis or whatever could probably benefit from them too.

I’ve always hated the look of Glock pistols, which are as attractive as bricks with muzzles, but WOW! FRONT SLIDE SERRATIONS! My opinion is now completely turned around! Glocks are beautiful! I must have one!

/sarc

1. avatar adverse4 says:

If someone had a Glock pointed at me, last thing I would think of is to insult their pistol.

35. avatar RSic says:

One step toward perfection now replace trigger, sights, recoil spring, guide rod, change slide to stainless, change grip angle, strengthen polymer so it’s not so flexible, oh lower the price

36. avatar Matt says:

It’s not something i would have noticed. I don’t use them. Therefore i do not care

37. avatar skoon says:

Finally i can get that glock fssfmos model i always wanted

38. avatar Paul53 says:

WGAS. The rear grooves are about useless. Just put more useless features on it. If Glock had any imagination, they’d copy the trigger on my Buckmark.

39. I’m not going to say who cares because that is a question and someone might answer that, but I don’t care.
    I never touch the front portion of my slide so…can’t see the need for extra grip there.

40. avatar El Duderino says:

I’ll take what Glock does over SIG and Kimber with all of their weird colors and finishes.

41. avatar adverse4 says:

Front and rear, so you can jerk it both ways.

42. avatar J says:

Glocks with front serrations don’t interest me. If forward serrations were my #1 concern with a new pistol, I’d get a vp9/p30 (and i did). Gimme a gen 4 with fish gills, night sights and RTF texture or better yet, a 19m…..

43. avatar kap says:

GAS! who cares? another way to charge more!

44. avatar MLee says:

My P229 Elite has front serrations. It looks nice, but as far having any practical usefulness, I have found none.
    It’s like its Rosewood grips, they have no real practicality, they are entirely aesthetics. They don’t add a tacticool element, but rather an elegance.

45. avatar Hank says:

There’s nothing wrong with a Glock that a rounded or tapered slide profile, polished bluing and wood grips wouldn’t fix. Well all that and a decent safety. Oh, and a crisp trigger.