Montana Democrat Defends Gun Rights Record By Shooting a TV With a Lever Gun

Montana Democrat and country singer Rob Quist is running for The Treasure State’s sole seat in the House of Representatives (it’s vacant because Rep. Ryan Zinke is now Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke). His opponent, Republican Greg Gianforte, has targeted Quist’s gun rights record. And why not? Quist wants to establish a federal gun registry for “assault rifles.” Like this [via meanwhilemontana.com]:

“They’re only meant to kill people,” he said. “So maybe there should be some legislation to register those types of things. You register your car to drive, why not register guns. I know that’s a touchy subject for a lot of people, but I think we definitely have the right to bear arms and as I say I’ve been on many hunts myself where I’ve brought home an elk that fed our family and that’s an important thing for Montanans.”

Gianforte — portrayed as an interloper despite having lived in Bozeman for 24 years — capitalized on Quist’s gun registry proposal with the ad above. Quist fought back against his portrayal as a “gun grabber” with his own Joe Manchin style “I’m Elvis You’re Robert Goulet” ad:

Notice that Mr. Quist shoots the TV with a lever gun, not a semi-automatic rifle, and that there’s no mention of that deeply unconstitutional gun registry idea of his. Not to mention the fact that Mr. Quist isn’t wearing ear or eye pro, and that he’s chicken winging that long gun.

Yeah, that’s not going to do it. Or is it? We shall see.

comments

1. avatar michaelb says:

But who picked up the debris? I’m betting Quist left that old tube TV, ruining public land shooting for all.

2. avatar J says:

He’s a FUDD. Hope Gianforte stomps an electoral mud hole in that ass.

3. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Rob Quist is just like the democrats from the 1960’s and before. He thinks only he should have guns.

1. avatar painlessbob says:

Yes, and all the Republicans then, too, and half of them still.

4. avatar Hank says:

He’s a democrat. That’s synonymous with Dirt Bag. Well, and… Communist, Traitor, theif, scoundrel, Muslim Supremacist, facist, and Rapist.

1. avatar Aerindel says:

Man, you really make gun owners sound like scum with comments like that. Not helping the cause.

1. avatar NorincoJay says:

He just sounds like a dem. They seem to be the ones that sling words around. But nothing wrong with calling a duck a duck.

2. avatar Jon in CO says:

However he/she may appear to look, is solely on them. They don’t make me look bad, or sound bad, or anything of the type. We say one whack job doesn’t mean the rest of us are bad, so why does this comment make the rest of us look bad?

1. avatar Aerindel says:

Because every comment posted here is part of the gun community. And yes, a certain part of the gun community are hateful, bigoted, evil people. Obviously, that isn’t true of most of us but when that minority spouts off there wacko views they aren’t accomplishing anything but making all of us look just a little worse. Guilt by association, its not fair but its real. Just as this person is judging all democrats by the actions of a few, so will we be judged.

2. avatar Katy says:

The all too common refrain is that there aren’t enough Muslims calling out the terrorists. That there aren’t enough good cops calling out the bad ones. If we don’t call out the racists and bigots who purport to support gun rights, haven’t we implicitly given them our approval?

There is good and evil in all stripes. There are good who don’t realize they associate with evil and evil that knowingly hiding amongst the good. Anybody who believes that any group wholly and uniquely has claim to being wrong is misguided at best.

3. avatar Hank says:

How I am a bigot? I said democrats are Muslim Supremacists. This is true. They favor the religion of Islam over all religions, while demeaning all other religions. Prove me wrong?

3. avatar Hank says:

Glad I hurt your feelings. You just get back from your Hillary cry in safe space protest snowflake?

5. avatar John Boch says:

FUDD.

John

1. avatar Rick Hess says:

I’m not sure I’d let him rise to that level.

6. avatar NorincoJay says:

I guess he believes he should be the one who decides which guns us serfs can use to defend and feed our families. Registries lead to confiscation. The 86′ compromise bill forbids a gun registry on the national level for semiauto guns.

7. avatar Joe R. says:

Whoa, get some moderation for your moderation there. There wasn’t even a spark in the last post, much least a delete-able flame.

Can’t call me wrong, I gave you the source quote.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Really, no, really?

1. avatar Joe R. says:

a potato maybe, but c’mon.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

oh, ok.

I’ll click less.

8. avatar Mr. AR says:

I would like to have seen Montana….

1. avatar MLee says:

Instead of bleeding out on a sub? Don’t blame you there. However, it’s nice, I was born there.

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

I still live here. Quist is a joke. He earned $29,000 last year (half of that was Social Security). At one time he was $15,000 arrears in back federal taxes, stiffed a hospital and doctors on some medical care…the question Montana should be asking: Do we want a successful business man who has created over 500 jobs and takes care of his personal and corporate finances…or, do we want a “good ole boy” who can’t handle his money or plan for his future to represent us in Congress? This shouldn’t even be a contest…but, a lot of the homies and Libs will vote for him just because…

9. avatar rc says:

Yeah, Harry Reid and Obama used to shoot guns in front of cameras too….

10. avatar Gordon in MO says:

“and that he’s chicken winging that long gun”

That may be what you call it, but that is the exact form the Marine Corps taught me in bootcamp…and I shot high expert.

1. avatar Aerindel says:

The real problem is his trigger discipline.

1. avatar painlessbob says:

Yes, while chambering and then while mounting, but he is using Hornady LEVERevolution ammo.

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Agreed. Nothing wrong with his form. Just his statist attitude.

I feel like shooting my TV with a lever gun every time I see Chris Matthews.

12. avatar FB says:

I still wouldn’t vote for Democrat. Period!

13. avatar ACP_arms says:

Until he shoot’s a TV with an AR-15 the ad is a wast of money in my opinion. And no, I am not voting for him.

14. avatar Jeff K says:

Just remember ONE thing, a Democrat CAN NOT be trusted, EVER.

1. avatar Chris Mallory says:

No member of either party can be trusted. They are both just different sides of the same progressive NeoCon coin.

1. avatar `Jeff K says:

Basically true, but it seems the D’s are far worse. Yes, there are traitor R’s.

15. avatar FedUp says:

Montana Democrat sounds like he’s no more pro-gun than the civil rights vetoing governor.

16. avatar Chris Mallory says:

I have sold every AR I ever bought. I still own my lever guns though. They are more fun to shoot. I have also sold every plastic, striker fired pistol I have ever bought and used the money to buy more 1911’s.

Liking or not liking a particular model or style of firearm means nothing.

1. avatar Marco says:

Agreed, but this isn’t about liking. This is about political ADVERTISING.

New rule: any politician that makes an ad showing them shooting anything but a handgun or a semi-auto (at least- Cruz and Greitens used machine guns) is a FUDD at best, or an Anti like Obama, trying to fool people long enough to do heinous things.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

It’s not about liking or not liking, it’s about telling people what they can and can’t own.

This video is a political message. His choice in messaging matters.

3. avatar Jomo says:

Are you advocating that people who DO like ARs and not lever guns have to register THEIR choice? That’s what this guy is doing. There’s a world of difference there, and this imbecile seems to conveniently forget that 1) the 2nd amendment doesn’t guarantee the right to hunt with an archaic weapon and 2) lever guns were once weapons of war with the sole purpose of killing people (Henry and Soencer rifles of the Civil War).

17. avatar Bruce says:

Will, of course, vote against him in the upcoming special election. But, it does show that you have to at least appear to be pro-gun/pro-2nd Amdt in order to be elected to statewide office in MT. The lever gun was a nice touch (despite all the naysayers here). It reminds everyone of the state’s frontier past and cowboy/out west present. Funny thing is that you probably see as much civilian open carry of old style revolvers as you do semiautomatics, as contrasted with AZ where we spend the other half the year, and where open carry almost entirely involves black plastic semiautomatics.

This reminds me of an old guy who has a store maybe 15 miles east, up river from us in NW MT. He carries an old style six shooter openly, but in a modern holster. And, has several lever guns on the wall behind the counter. He has a sign for “ammo” in one direction, and “guns” in the other, plus some horses and longhorns out back. The horses are corralled to keep them from wandering off, while the cattle are not. They know where their food is, and that is sufficient to keep them around – until they become part of the merchandise he sells there.

1. avatar Yellow Devil says:

You are mostly correct about the open carry choices in AZ, although I still see some “cowboys” open carry revolvers. I had my parents come out to visit one time from back east, and although he is no big fan of firearms, he was absolutely tickled with fancy over someone open carrying their revolver in their ranch outfit.

For the record, I don’t normally open carry, but if I do, it will be one of those newfangled black semi-automatic handguns.

2. avatar Jomo says:

We’re pounding on this guy not for his choice in firearm, but for his use of said firearm as a prop to hide some really negative intentions. I don’t think anyone would be irritated with his FUDD attitude if he was willing to leave the rest of us alone. Unfortunately this loser wants to register all the ugly non-wooden guns that he doesn’t like so they can be collected later.

18. avatar Serpent Vision says:

Couple of amateurs. If you really want to take out television sets, use a school bus (skip to 4:01 if you have poor taste in music):

1. avatar Ing says:

Wow. Did not expect that hair, that body, or that music. Pretty badass.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

she visited gil fisher at the scuttle butt lodge in melonville forest, but i can’t find the part where she “blowed up real good.”
        but i know she did.

19. avatar Nynemillameetuh says:

I’ve been a Montana resident (not a Montanan) for only a few years and he does not speak for Montana. We don’t want a registry, although we are fine with killing televisions.

1. avatar Katy says:

No proof he killed that TV. The shot and strike are cut together, my guess is he fire once and then had someone who cares about guns actually make the shot.

20. avatar Louis says:

So how is getting Nancy Pelosi one step closer to being in power pro gun? That’s one of the big problems with pro gun Democrats. No matter how pro gun they claim to be, they still end up contributing to putting people like her into power.

21. avatar Quagmire86 says:

I have no skin in the game as far as Montana politics are concerned but I am puzzled that a politician vying for a seat there would even mention gun control in the form of a registry. I could understand if the geographic location was an urban setting to the east, but not a western state such as Montana.

I am surprised that Quist is using the tired comparison of registering one’s vehicle just like registering firearms. Especially where he even mentions his ranch there in Montana. Does he not see the hypocrisy in such a statement? Surely he realizes that any vehicle he drives on his ranch needs not to be registered or insured if it is only driven on the ranch property? If he drives his truck into town, yes, it has to be registered. But if any of his vehicles are solely for ranch use…well, I’m sure it is unlicensed. Ask him that question.

22. avatar LHW says: