Providence Police Confiscate 3 AK-47’s in 4 Years. Wait! Two! Just Thought I’d Leave This Here

It’s hard to believe that The Truth About Guns started in Providence, Rhode Island. While Little Rhody has a strong gun culture, the left-leaning capitol city has made The Ocean State yet another blue state black hole for gun rights. In the video above . . .

We learn that Providence cops confiscated three — count ’em three — AK-47s in the last four years. During two of those years, the PPD Gun Control Unit has been tracing confiscated firearms. Why? Hell if I know. Something to do with doing something. You know; about “gun violence.”

Does anyone else find it an odd not-to-say incredible that the Renaissance City’s cops confiscated an AK with 762 rounds of ammo? A misplaced period and an ignorant reading of the police blotter perhaps?

“How do we know what’s lurking around the corner with somebody who’s got that kind of firepower with them?” Detective Joe Hanley of the Gun Control Unit asks. “We don’t know what they’re up to.”

What does that even mean? More to the point, how many arrests has the GCU made in its two year’s of taxpayer-funded operation, ostensibly investigating 262 confiscated guns for straw purchases? With the lack of detail in the TV report, I’m thinking none.

So . . . what? Who cares where criminals get their guns? They’re gonna get guns, no matter what. Perhaps the GCU’s money should be spent on actual policing. Just a thought from a Texan who no longer funds this kind of inanity.

Oh and the mangled AK highlighted in the TV report was confiscated in Pawtucket. No showboating there, then.

comments

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

That’s a pretty clapped out Yugo SKS. 404:AK not found. Perhaps their inability to do basic identification on a firearm is part of their issue solving crimes.

1. avatar TruthTellers says:

Could also be that the serial numbers were removed. For a gun to be that modified I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

1. avatar Cam says:

IF you need a serial number to too the difference between an sks and an ak, maybe you need someone who knows more about guns.

2. avatar Reef Blastbody says:

“An AK-47 along with 762 live rounds of ammunition”… *shows SKS in a sawed off Tapco stock*

Bless their hearts. Good and hard.

3. avatar Mikele Deziell says:

What the $-#%@ does that even mean?? I have an Ak, an AR, shotguns, long guns, 1000s of rounds of ammo and I consider my collection small.
    I am always surprised by liberals who are agast that people of the gun actually own more than one gun and have more ammo than what fits in the gun at that moment.

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

Anti-gun people are very surprised how much ammunition we have and use. Some want a limit of 20-100 rounds per YEAR!

They are surprised when they ask about how much is really used. I would use 22-34 rounds in competition plus another 6-10 when sighting in every weekend. Which means an annual consumption of 1500-2000 rounds per year. Pistol shooters will often use alot more per match and per annum. I don’t tell them I make my ammunition by reloading the empty cases. I think their heads would explode at the thought.

1. Yea pistol matches are about 30-40 rounds per segment. Last match we shot 6 segments. 180-240 rounds in one day, OMG! I’m pretty sure if a lib ever laid eyes on my ammo room they might wet themselves and head to the nearest safe space.

2. avatar Steve says:

Its elimination of gun rights. So, the statement although stupid is like all the others, say it enough times and all the ‘good’ people will be clamoring for elimination of all guns. Can’t have them in the home cause little kids are taking them and can’t have them outside the home because police need to know the nothing is lurking anywhere …

3. avatar Big Bill says:

When the people in suits say this kind of thing, those people sitting in their easy chairs in front of the TV drinking their third beer of the night really don’t know what’s being said, but they know someone who is (supposedly) a lot smarter than them is telling them it’s bad.
      And that’s the purpose: Say stupid stuff, say it often, get the idea across that guns are bad, because we don’t know who will use them, but it’s bad when they do use them. So we need to get rid of them.
      Then, when POTG say, “What does that even mean?”, Joe Sixpack can say (with smugness), “It means guns are bad.”
      And thus the useful idiot makes himself superior, because even he knows that; how can you not?

4. avatar Danny Griffin says:

Did you see the police log? AK-47 in 5.56 (x 5 no less) and an AK-47 in .762 caliber.

Idiots.

1. avatar tmm says:

There’s a lot of “value” firearms listed amongst the AKs.

Also, the only “AK-47” that had the caliber right wasn’t classified as an “Assault Rifle,” just a “Rifle.”

1. avatar DaveL says:

I’m guessing that was the seizure made by the unit gun nerd.

2. avatar JK says:

I caught that as well… I guess ignorance is bliss. But stupid hurts.

3. avatar Big Bill says:

Those AKs in 5.56×5 are designed for use with suppressors; the rounds are subsonic, so no “crack”.
      The bullet leaves the muzzle at a blistering 73 fps. Super dangerous, because even Shotspotter can’t hear them. They need to be banned.

1. avatar Cam says:

Don’t you reload those by hot glueing a 209 primer to the back of a 55 grain bullet?

4. avatar Applo says:

Norinco made and imported an AK in .223 back in the 80’s.

Having a 5.56 AK listed in the ledger is feasible.

1. avatar Danny Griffin says:

AK’s in 5.56 are AK-74s, though, not 47s.

1. avatar Applo says:

“AK’s in 5.56 are AK-74s, though, not 47s.”

No, you’re thinking of 5.45x39mm.

The Norinco 84S was the civilian version of the Type 56-4, chambered in 5.56x45mm.

2. avatar Michael Clark says:

автомат калашников 74 or AK74 uses 5.45×39 mm cartridge any varient that is an authentic Machine Kalashnikov (not automatic but machine is literal translation) that is chambered in 5.56x45mm was of the 100 series which were produced after the “assault” weapons ban during Billery Clinton’s admin. If anything you are getting a sporting rifle that uses between 70-80% percent of the parts which if it is a Vepr than it was impoted before Obama’s admin embargo against Russia. That being said it is not a AK variant due to how many parts are removed to make it import legal. It is a sporting rifle not an AK but you call it that is due to pop-culture memes. An AK47 isn’t what most people think it is. If anything most people are familiar with the AKM but that does not stop them from differentiating a 74 or a Vz 58 from a “AK47” think of it this way for a law enforcement agency to call a semi-automatic weapon that uses a similar piston driven system, and recievers an AK would be the same as calling a Semi-automatic glock a machine pistol with out knowing what the word machine means in the firearms industry.

5. avatar tmm says:

Gun Control Unit? Please, these days it should be called the Gun Safety Unit.

6. avatar skiff says:

There is a part 2 to this “news story” that was aired tonight. It gets worst.

1. avatar Danny Griffin says:

So where’s the link to part 2?

7. avatar Alex Waits says:

That’s an sks. Ho lee fuk would have k own better.

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…nice airline reference!

8. avatar Alex Waits says:

*finishing video*

Lmao. Are these people for real? This isn’t some trolling or “punk’d” nonsense? The onion? The duffleblog? Wow.

9. avatar TruthTellers says:

“It’s state law to notify police of a missing or stolen gun. Most people don’t do it because they’re embarrassed.”

Oh please. Most people don’t do it because they know the police are going to grill them like they’re the criminal, not the perp that stole their gun(s) or possibly it was simple misplacement while going shooting at the range or camping/fishing.

I can see it now: Giuseppe Bapini from North Providence discovers that his prized Benelli Over/Under has gone missing. He goes down to the station and waits for 2 hours for a police Sergeant to bring him back to his office where he informs him of what happened. Then the cop asks if he has any other firearms to which Giuseppe says yes. The sergeant says will put this on file and they’ll do the best they can to find it.

Later that same day two members of the “Gun Control Unit” show up and tell Giuseppe that because he failed to secure the shotgun, they’re going to have to confiscate all his guns for “safekeeping” under some local ordinance statute or something.

That’s why people in RI don’t report a stolen gun, because they know the local pork chops will do whatever it takes to make themselves look good and not actually do any investigating or policing because that actually requires work.

1. avatar Ed says:

Giuseppe Bapini, didn’t he used to run book out of the green bar? Haha.

10. avatar Ed says:

I unfortunately have to venture to providence on business occasionally and,being in driving distance (albeit a long drive) I have carried permit-less in the city regularly. Do I carry a full size 1911 OWB? No, of course not. Do I realize that I am somehow gambling with my constitutional right to bear arms when I do so? As obsurd as the idea is, of course I do. Am I willing to go without a pistol in that crime ridden cess pool? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Even the cops are criminals (I know this from first hand experience) to various degrees and it’s beyond apparent that you, and you alone are responsible for your safety. I honestly don’t even think about it like I’m breaking a law, I just bet on the fact that if I did get caught with it somehow that the chances that the cop would rather take my gun home with him than fill out the paperwork and turn it in are pretty good. They just convicted a guy that used to work detail at a club I ran security at years ago on possession of two stolen guns, drug charges and witness intimidation and I know with him it had to be just the tip of the iceburg. Alot of the cops on that force are juice heads who love giving out beatings and that one cop was no exception. Providence is a great place to go do business during the day and get the hell out. Oh, and FYI there IS a provision in the state law providing for a out of state ccw, but the A.G. has publicly stated a refusal to sign off on any of the approved applications, so I carry anyway. They’d have to be doing their job to have a chance at catching me, and from the looks of it they still pretty much suck at their job.

11. avatar 10x25mm says:

Anyone else notice the nice Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer in the lead image? A valuable collectable undoubtedly stolen from its legitimate owner and not returned by the police.

1. avatar tmm says:

That comment made me think of a Steve Martin bit:

You know how some people put their names on their skis, so that if they ever get stolen, the thief know who they got them from?
      “Hello, Ted Robinson? Thank you very much.” [click]

12. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Barney Fife would be proud of them.

13. avatar uncommon_sense says:

How do we know what’s lurking around the corner with somebody who’s got that kind of firepower horsepower with them? We don’t know what they’re up to. — Detective Joe Hanley

Isn’t it fascinating how silly the whole thing sounds when we change the subject from firearms and firepower to vehicles and horsepower?

With that kind of logic, we should view every single vehicle and operator as a violent criminal who is about to spring into action.

14. avatar michael says:

Maybe they found the sks in the trash, because someone threw it away. Looks pretty damn used and abused.

15. avatar Rick the Bear (MA to NH!!) says:

Ah, Rogues Island. Gotta love the place.

From the hype in this “report”, you’d think that they po-po found a tactical nuke in a sewer drain. Oy!

Oh, and Tim, never leave the house with that shirt again unless you’re going to a BBQ.

16. avatar Bob Jones says:

Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts should be combined into the new state of Massofubar.
    Create the new states of East California and South Illinois to replace the small frys.

17. avatar HEGEMON says:

I lived in Massachusetts and had my Ruger 10/22 stolen in 1991. I dutifully reported it stolen to the police, whereupon they reported it to the DA who contemplated prosecuting me. Yeah, I was young and a bit naive. Compulsory reporting laws are a 5th Amendment violation. I am NOT anti-cop by any means, but the reality is that they WILL use anything that you say against you, especially anything involving firearms. Northeast liberals hate firearms and by extension firearm owners.

1. avatar Gman says:

Prosecuting you for what?

There once was a man from Pawtucket . . . .

1. avatar Zeke says:

There once was a man from Pawtucket,
      Who wanted to make a few ducats.
      To finance his fun,
      He stole someone’s gun,
      And invited the lawmen to suck it.

(Hey, at least it’s relatively clean!)

19. avatar Gman says:

Perhaps the owner was OCD. I’ll bet the rounds were stored in 39 containers.

20. avatar Sirtri says:

So 571 guns in four years. Divide that by the GCU annual operation cost x 4. Would it have been easier and cheaper to do a “buy-back”. I venture at that pay rate, you would probably collect more “guns” than 571. Maybe the GCU could troll for more teenagers to beat the guns out of them. http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150423/NEWS/150429635 . “Follow the guns…” after you have it?! Really??!! Increase in seizure in 2016 stems from “…more court authorized warrants…seizing weapons from the suspects home and their cars.” What were they suspects of? Failure to appear on a speeding ticket does NOT warrant seizure. Or anything other than a specified complaint in reference to weapon usage IMO. Also, I pose to you that if I was to say “threaten someone in my house with a knife”, would they go through the house and remove all knives? Let’s not forget the Swiss Army in the first-aid kit. Cops and their widget data chasing tASSk force. Taking more of your tax money and infringing on your rights all the while being indignant about protecting “US” – the public.

21. avatar Matt says:

That’s the perfect example of a GIGO db right there.

22. avatar JoeVK says:

Why do news shows call themselves “eyewitness news”? With that name, you’d expect them to be right there when everything they report on happens. But, just like police, they show up after the fact, question actual eyewitnesses, and make wild guesses as to what actually happened. The only thing they “eyewitness” is the words on the teleprompter.

And I only see 7 rounds with that butchered SKS. Obviously they meant 7 rounds of 62 caliber.