Kentucky Scalper Tells Judge ‘I Don’t Need A Lecture’: It Should Have Been a Defensive Gun Use

“After physically abusing [Marilyn] Stanley for nearly an hour, Gross urged his dog to attack the woman after she refused to drop a knife she had picked up in self defense,” fox19.com reports.

The dog tore off part of Stanley’s ear and scalp. Investigators say after the incident, Gross forced Stanley to look at herself in the mirror, ridiculing her appearance.

With a portion of her scalp in a plastic bag, Gross drove Stanley to her mother’s Union home and dropped her off in the front yard.

Hospital staff said 80 percent of Stanley’s scalp was completely detached from her head, according to police documents. The attack also left her with eyes swollen to the size of baseballs and a broken nose.

I recently wrote about a new study on guns and domestic abuse (The Truth About Guns and Domestic Abuse). That article focused on the astounding fact that guns were used in just 1.6% of 35,413 incidents studied.

That’s guns used by the abuser. What about guns used for self-defense against an abuser?

There’s no data on either the number of defensive gun uses by people facing domestic violence, or the efficacy of their use. But one thing’s for sure: every American facing an imminent, credible threat of grievous bodily harm or death is legally justified in using lethal force to stop the threat.

In this case, Ms. Stanley chose a knife to defend herself. A defense that proved woefully inadequate.

There’s no way of knowing if Ms Stanley would have been more successful if she’d had access to a firearm. No way of knowing if she would have used it (given the psychology of many abuse victims). And yes, there’s the possibility that Mr. Gross would have used the gun against her.

But it seems obvious that Mr. Gross needed shooting. If not, consider his response to his sentencing:

“I’m not asking for your mercy. Just give me the 20. I don’t need a lecture,” 31-year-old Zachary Gross said.

The judge went one better, sentencing Mr. Gross to 21 years in jail. How long before he’s out? Too soon. How long before more potential victims realize that they should take up arms in their defense? And be prepared to use them?

Not soon enough. It should have been a defensive gun use.

comments

1. avatar Joe R. says:

KY is the land of Mitch McConnell.

1. avatar Bosko says:

Did you have a point of some sort ????

1. avatar Joe Wright says:

Yes, he did have a point. Mitch McConnell ! The rhino from Kentucky.

1. avatar Ben says:

Rhino?

2. avatar J says:

RINO (Republican in name only)

3. avatar Joe R. says:

Republicans in need of ousting. But my commentary was on KY, they are KY Intense lately and we really don’t need the burning sensation, thank you anyway. There’s a lot of liberal crap spewing out of KY in the last ~ 4 years, and (“I already got paid for Globalism and Obamacare, so I gotta make it happen) McConnell is not even the pinnacle or titular head of it.

You got a lot of F’d up in you KY, You suck, better fix your stupid crap.

2. avatar BaconLovingInfidel says:

and Colonel Sanders and Wildcat hoops.

If they weren’t married, he should get extra time for non-spousal abuse while wearing a wife beater.

2. avatar Rabbi says:

Maybe if he was lectured a bit more when growing up he would not have been in that position. Bad parenting has consequences.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Lectured?

Rabbi, I don’t know what Jewish law regarding child-raising prescribes, is there anything along the lines of ‘spare the rod, and spoil the child’ in there?

2. avatar California Richard says:

Some eggs just hatch rotten. I know plenty of kids from plenty of families who weren’t treated any different, who were just “off” from the begining. I’m not claiming to know this guy’s life circumstances, but if you know something about him we all don’t, then please share.

3. avatar Aaron M. Walker says:

More Democratic/DNC/Militant Liberal Progressive, Social Engineering Projects! Suburban, and Urban experiments gone awry!

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I was thinking more along the lines of rural trailer park than urban/suburban. Hard to say.

Progressive social engineering experiments produce vast groups of people who are lazy, ignorant, entitled and lacking any sense of personal responsibility. But the vast majority of them don’t become downright evil like this dude.

Where such evil comes from, I don’t know.

2. avatar Michael B says:

In Kentucky ? Sorry but not likely.

4. avatar strych9 says:

On the one hand, Jesus that’s messed up.

On the other, kudos to the perp for taking the sentence. Most people wouldn’t be so cavalier when facing a 20 year sentence.

Too often people who do really terrible things manage to get off with an obnoxiously light sentence.

1. avatar rick3 says:

Seriously? “Kudos to the perp”…really? Seems like even if he was crying for mercy at that point, that doesn’t absolve what he did. He probably accepted it relatively easily because he thinks he’s tough enough to serve his time without a problem…

1. avatar anonymoose says:

How much you want to bet he gets raped and shanked in prison?

1. avatar David Keithid says:

He deserves to die and burn in hell. I wouldn’t welcome a piece of shit like this next door to me. There’s not a sentence long enough for this white trash to serve in order to pay his debt to our crumbling society.

2. avatar strych9 says:

Accepting the consequences of one’s actions is something a lot of people know exactly fuck all about.

This guy accepted them and apparently didn’t even try to get a reduced sentence or anything. That’s very unusual, and to some extent, laudable. At least he understood that he’d done something wrong and didn’t cry like a child or have his lawyer offer “extenuating circumstances” to try to get out of it.

He’s still a scumbag but at least he’s a scumbag that accepts the consequences of his actions.

1. avatar Paul says:

I think it’s more likely that he’s a scumbag with no respect for authority. He didn’t express remorse, he just didn’t want to sit through a lecture.

2. avatar Ranger Rick says:

He accepted responsibility to an extant, he is also well aware that he won’t do the full nut. If this s-bird does over a dime I’d be surprised.

3. avatar David Keithid says:

You clearly haven’t been around guys like this. He wasn’t manning up and accepting shit. He was acting tough. He needs time in solitary and we’ll see how tough he is.

5. avatar Vhyrus says:

Some people need killing. Whatever hell this man winds up in will ultimately be more comfortable than he deserves.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

This is one of those times where old-time eye-for-an-eye biblical justice should apply.

Wipe a raw steak all over him and sic a pit bull that hasn’t eaten in 3 days on his ass…

1. “An eye for an eye” was actually a restraint of issuing punishment. I wouldn’t restrict his punishment in this way. Fucker needs the chair. Or a 1oz, slug to the back of the head.

2. avatar Gunr says:

How about, “hasn’t eaten in six days”!

2. avatar PDW says:

“Some people need killing.”

Absolutely.

6. avatar Alex says:

He’ll probably be out in 7…

7. avatar smitty says:

Joe R
    “KY is the land of Mitch McConnell.”
    It’s also the state of Rand Paul.
    So big deal?
    You don’t live there so just shut TFU about it!

smitty

8. avatar James69 says:

yeah, nobody needs guns!

9. avatar surlycmd says:

Is there a go fund me page tied to Big Bubba’s prison canteen account? I would donate.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

Go knock off a bank in Kentucky if you like him so much, and that way you can spend the next few years serenading him with toilet wine while you two are cellmates.

1. avatar Scott says:

You realize that he wants Big Bubba to “take care” of this dirtbag abuser in prison, right? Being bent over by Big Bubba for 20 years isn’t something he would advocate for someone he actually liked.

1. avatar Lotek says:

Beat me to it; said it better

2. avatar California Richard says:

Depends on how well he handles himself in prison. He may be a “wolf in the flock” in prison and he very well may be other’s “big bubba”. We can dream about karmic justice, but for him going to prison may be him just going home.

10. avatar PDW says:

“Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy which produces real hatred of mankind.” Giocomo Leopardi 1798-1837.

I accurately fit the above description because of people like Zachary.

11. avatar Hank says:

Only 21 years? That’s a second crime.

12. avatar GS650G says:

Jailhouse justice will tune him right up. Cons aren’t too kind to rapists or Dicks who do that to women. I hope her family pays him a visit if he gets out.

13. avatar Mike Betts says:

She should have killed him AND his dog. However, I’d have felt sorry for the latter.

14. avatar Dave Lewis says:

He probably doesn’t need a lecture – I believe that God and man both give up on scum. He does need 230 grains (or whatever effective load you might choose) between the eyes and burial in an unmarked grave.

1. avatar Jeff K says:

A bullet costs more than this pile’s worth & why waste the ground. Rope & Incinerator.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

Somewhere in northern Nevada, I don’t remember precisely where, there is a rest stop along the freeway that has no running water. The solution for this was to install a series of composting latrines.

As I was driving that stretch of road one day I heard a guy on the radio propose that scum (such as the asshole mentioned in this article) should be tried, convicted, executed and cremated, then their ashes dumped in one of those latrines with a sign over the door so people would be able to choose who to visit.

15. avatar Soylent Green says:

Clearly the guy is a turd, and we should all take a vote to flush him. He’s not redeemable, will never add value to humanity, so why even waste the resources to keep him around?

Hell…flush him and spend the money that it would have cost to house him in prison on lunches and dinners for homeless veterans.

1. avatar junkman says:

Much better idea; the amount of $ wasted on housing unredeemable inmates could be put to much better use. Can’t say what I used to do, but did work for six prisons; what goes on there that never makes the news (people would vomit) is beyond any human comprehension. A lot of these things are the worst mankind has ever spawned. The influence of Satan in their miserable lives is evident.

16. avatar Lanny says:

Why do I hear banjos while looking at dis cracka???

1. avatar Paul says:

I doubt he has the smarts.

17. avatar Jim Macklin says:

She had a knife but was not prepared to use it, even to kill the dog. Gun or knife is only a thing unless you are prepared mentally to use it.

18. avatar Jerry says:

I would like to know if she passed a background check for that knife! Also, it sounds like he did not use it against her.

19. avatar Mikial says:

Here in Virginia we were able to put a bill through the Legislature that would consider a protective order for domestic abuse a temporary, and immediately effective concealed carry permit. No idea if our disgusting Democrat governor will veto it or not.

20. avatar Matthew the Oilman says:

Nobody besides Jim answered the question Robert asked. So I will, if you are not willing to use it , no weapon will work. She should have stabbed him, or at least the dog. A 16. Inch naval gun couldn’t help her if she won’t press fire. I can’t figure that out.

1. avatar Ben says:

We have some acquaintances, parents of a friend of our daughters, who are from Canada… The mother mentioned to my wife that my openly carried sidearm really made her nervous, and she saw no reason for me to carry it. My wife explained to her that bad things happen, and that I’m going to have a tool available so that I at least have an option to defend myself and my kids. My wife asked her what she would do if someone attacked her or her daughter, and she essentially denied that it could ever happen. “That just doesn’t happen…” was her answer… My wife said, so if someone broke into your house, and WAS going to attack you, you’d do nothing? Yep, that’s what she’d do, nothing. My wife said well, my husband would be fighting back with that gun on is hip. The friend said “Well, in that case, we can’t have our daughter staying at your place with guns around.” My wife said “That’s fine, but we won’t be having our kids stay at your place if you won’t lift a finger to protect them when you could, if they were attacked.”

I fail to see the logic in liberals’ thought processes, where they’d sit idly by as someone attacked them, rather than have the best tool with which to defend themselves. Do they HONESTLY believe that their own lives are worth less than a criminal’s? To be honest, I think just the opposite: I believe my life (and my family’s lives) is worth more than anyone else’s, because it’s MINE. If someone is going to try to take mine, I’ll fight to the death. Any other thought is simply ludicrous.

1. avatar Jeff K says:

I have friends that openly stated they would let themselves be killed rather that fight back, and some are gun owners. I find this reasoning incomprehensible.

2. avatar Big Lou says:

Gold for you. Let her die by the hands of another, but you fight to the end for you and yours.GOD BLESS.