3 Handguns to Buy When You Win the Lottery

A lot of our readers — quiet sorts — don’t need to win the lottery to buy whatever handgun tickles their fancy. Otherwise, high-end gunmakers wouldn’t exist. But judging from the comments underneath reviews of $1k and up firearms, it seems some of you would need a radical change in financial circumstances to buy in. No shame in that. And no shame in owning these three astoundingly good handguns . . .

1. Bill’s Custom Automatics Master Grade 1911 – $6k

TTAG’s resident war hero Jon Wayne Taylor is our go-to 1911 guy. He’s shot a few. Reviewed a bunch. None of the 1911’s Mr. Taylor’s held in his XXL mitts has found more favor than Bill’s Custom Automatics Master Grade 1911. [Click here to read the review.]

The MG 1911 is not a flashy piece. Nor is Mr. Bill a famous maker — outside the rarefied air of people who know about such things. What captivated Mr. Taylor: the gunmaker’s fanatical attention to detail and flawless workmanship. Strike that. It’s the 1911 astounding accuracy.

This gun shot so well that, at 15 yards in slow fire on paper, I made a game of shooting through the hole caused by my first five-round group to shoot another target behind that one for the last three. When you have to come up with stupid games like that, you’re into serious fun.

A moment of zen, then. In fact, Jon’s only five-star handgun review. Bonus! You “only” have to wait 60 days from order to delivery. In the world of customized handguns, that’s a firearms femtosecond. What are you waiting for? Go buy that ticket.

2. Korth Super Sport .357 Revolver – Starting at $4,799

Smith & Wesson’s Performance Center revolvers are awesome (as in standing mute in the face of God). They’re as smooth as Sade. As accurate as a TAG Heuer Calibre 360. What’s more awesome than awesome? The German-made Korth Super Sport .357.

When I fired this gun at SHOT Show, Korth’s Roller Trigger shot holes in my idea of what makes a perfect trigger. If your idea of perfection differs from the factory setting, Korth American BFF Nighthawk Custom will gladly adjust the wheelgun’s trigger stop, trigger return, main spring, double-action trigger progression and sear adjustment to your specifications.

So what’s the Korth Super Sport for, exactly? Self-defense, hunting, target shooting, competition, inducing admiration or dry fire fondling? Yes. Yes it is. And if you want to save money on ammo, you can fit the Super Sport with Korth’s patented 9mm/.38 Special conversion cylinder. Oh, that costs extra . .

SIG SAUER P210 Legend Super Target – $3499

It’s hard to spend a lot of money — in lottery ticket terms — on a semi-automatic handgun. But not impossible, as Jim Barrett’s 2012 review of the SIG SAUER P210 Legend [not Super] Target pistol proves. And guess what? The price has risen by some $600 in the interim.

Your money buys you a 34.7 ounce now made-in-America semi with a slide fashioned from billet steel, sliding back and forth inside the frame rails, rather than on the outside. That and careful craftsmanship makes it tighter than OBSCENE SIMILE DELETED. Which makes the SIG P210 extremely accurate.

No P210 leaves the factory until a marksman puts five rounds into a two-inch circle at 50 yards. The walnut-handled handgun’s sights are fixed — unless you stump-up for the more expensive tactical version. Extra mags run $75. Chump change after those lottery numbers rock your world. You know, in theory.

comments

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

I’d add some form of Machine Pistol to the list, hell even a Glock 18. Perhaps a MAC-10 if I was being a bit less gung-ho about spending my winnings.

1. avatar Art out West says:

I’d also go with something full auto (or maybe a Barrett .50 BMG) rather than just buying a “fancy” handgun. Of course frugal (sensible) people like me don’t piss away money on the lottery any way.

Also, I’m the kind of guy who would much rather have 8 revolvers in the $600 range (Smiths and Rugers) of various calibers and configurations than one $4800 Korth. On the other hand, what do I know? I’ve never held or fired a Korth. It is perhaps hard to appreciate the finer things when you’ve never been exposed to them.

1. avatar Norincojay says:

Personally I think that is the ugliest revolver I’ve ever seen. It makes the Russian Nagant 1895 look down right gorgeous.

1. avatar Art out West says:

Ugly or tacky? Kind of looks both ugly and tacky to me. On the other hand Smith revolvers generally look pretty classy.

2. avatar Norincojay says:

Yeah could be tacky it’s the pic rail all over a revolver. Maybe it’s fugly. If some one gave it to me I’d still take it ?

3. avatar DrewR says:

I definitely wouldn’t go for that cheese grater, either. Their four inch standard style is appealing, though.

2. avatar Nanashi says:

You’re thinking small. Buy a congressman, get him to introduce NFA repeal.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Sure, for a million $ Nancy Pelosi would spend the weekend with you. Just be sure to show her the view from the 98th floor sometime in there.

1. avatar GS650G says:

Brings new meaning to the expression paying her to leave.

2. avatar Snake Plisskin says:

thanks…that’s a mental picture that I cannot un-see……

3. avatar Nanashi says:

A congressman’s largest sonar is typically sub-20,000 USD. Even if you want a committee chairman it won’t cost you 35,000

2. avatar Ostensor says:

Excellent idea!

3. avatar Snake Plisskin says:

World War 2 Era MP-40.

Always wanted one since I collect WW2 stuff. The ones on GunBroker that have seen regularly start at 15k plus or more if they have bring-back papers….when do show up.

4. avatar Jason says:

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. I’d have to buy a few guns in full auto & the glock 18 is a pretty good starting point.

2. avatar VillarPerosa says:

pfft, if you win the lottery why would you restrict yourself to handguns??? the first gun ANYONE who wins the lottery should buy is the FG42 of course.

1. avatar pg2 says:

Maybe a Galil .308?

2. avatar LKB says:

Feh. Gimme a Ma Deuce . . . .

3. avatar Vhyrus says:

Amateurs. M134 minigun.

1. avatar Scott C. says:

GAU 19B… nuff said

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

A-10 Warthog, BBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr….. mic drop.

4. avatar PeterK says:

That was my first thought, too. But I mean. After you buy your 30mm autocannon, you’re going to need something to go with it. A really pricy sidearm would be all kinds of fun.

Hence this list.

3. avatar Noishkel says:

Ehh. If I hit the lottery I’d be dropping money on things I can’t just save up and get anyway. I’d be trying to find a Beretta 93r, a MAC-10, or if I really want to go for something rare a select fire C96. And truth be told none of those handguns rustle my jimmies at all.

4. avatar BLoving says:

I’ll start surfing the gun shows and auction sites till I find the 4″ blued Python I need and not have to amputate my leg for it.
    Maybe get an FN Five-Seven to jack around with just because its a super-cool toy with little practical use for me.

1. avatar Norincojay says:

A colt snake revolver would be nice. I love my FNH 5.7 I’d carry it if Florida ever passed open carry. I busted my right wrist so I’m a little recoil sensitive. The civilian legal green tip has some decent velocity. It’s an accurate gun and flat shooting for a pistol cartridge.

5. avatar former water walker says:

Sure but that Korth is one fugly thing.

Hard to win the lottery when I’ve never played(that’s 42 years)…so you should send me one?

6. avatar Geoff PR says:

I’d shoot a Cabot Meteorite 1911 to *destruction*.

And then have ’em build me another pair.

(I won’t forget the little people who hang out in TTAG. Every regular gets a brick of .22lr…)

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

I was thinking if I won, that pair would immediately be on my want list. I’d find the guy who bought JFK’s garands and buy that too. The rest, would be belt fed, or select fire.

2. avatar peirsonb says:

Every regular gets a brick of .22lr…

Which, oddly enough, will run you as much as the 1911s.

7. avatar TommyJay says:

I was about to say ho-hum when I saw the P210 LST. Wow, what a great looking handgun. I agree with BLoving too; give me an FN 5-7 plus a couple thousand rounds.

8. avatar Cyrano says:

Heck why buy new when you can buy a Smith and Wesson Model 29-3 or a Colt Python Nickel Plated 6 inch barrel of the 69 to 74 vintage. Not going to make them again and only going to gain in value.

1. avatar Adub says:

I want a 29-3 but I’d want to shoot it.

9. avatar Frank in VA says:

If I won the lottery, I might more land, a new Cessna, a new truck, a new boat, etc. But I doubt I would own any handgun that cost much more than a thousand bucks.

Unless your shooting skills are already on the level of Jerry Miculek, any extra inherent accuracy or performance in a $4800 revolver vs. a Smith & Wesson, for example, is probably wasted on you. In such cases, as with the majority of Korth’s customers, what you have paid all the extra money for is a fetish item. Which is fine, so long as you are honest with yourself.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

*might buy more land…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

A new Cessna?

F*ck that. Plenty of turboprops are single-pilot flyable.

For a bush plane, the Pilatus PC-6 Porter is float capable and their sexy PC-12 is rough field capable.

And both can be flown off that extra land you’re buying… 🙂

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

Don’t forget the TBM 930!

2. avatar Frank in VA says:

I like the way you think. If I buy a high mountain retreat, the PC-6 would be a good choice. But there is no denying that airplane fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I have a certain nostalgia about Cessnas. For a nice flat patch of Virginia countryside, a Skylane would suit me fine.

10. avatar No one of consequence says:

Sorry .. I’m not that likely to drop almost $5k on a gun that looks like a prop from Dr. Who.

Of course I say that without having held and fired said Korth. If what I’ve read about them is at all accurate, then I probably don’t want to because I would then probably want one.

11. avatar AlanInFL says:

What? No Mark 23?

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Available for immediate delivery from Davidson’s? For under 2 grand? Wrong crowd, my friend. 🙂

12. avatar J says:

Beretta APX

Glock 20 gen 4

Glock 19 gen 5

Maybe a sw642

Cause that’s all I want currently

13. avatar Norincojay says:

Pre WW2 German Luger

Colt Python 4″ blued

Colt single action army

14. avatar alaninmn says:

Meh, only $75 for a mag? MBX 140mm for my 2011 run $129…

15. avatar ColdNorth says:

Manurhin MR 73 in .357 Magnum

ASP 9mm

Colt 1911 Royal Air Force contract in 455 Webley Auto

16. avatar Accur81 says:

I’d take a Colt Python over that hideous Korth, and a number of Ed Brown, Cabot, Wilson Combat or even Dan Wesson 1911s over the pick here. I’ve never shot a Sig 210, but it would be be that or a Sig X5 or X6 Supermatch. Probably the Supermatch – it’s just a much better looking gun than the 210 and probably pretty close in the accuracy category.

17. avatar Anonymous says:

Like your daddy always said – a product is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

18. avatar pwrserge says:

Meh… I want a select fire machine pistol. A old .32 caliber scorpion would just about fit the bill.

19. avatar Anonymous says:

I.E. – be quiet about the price of these guns in this article!

Lol.

20. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

for that same $14,298 you could wrangle free one hundred and ten hi- points.
    keep one just about everywhere, like reading glasses.

21. avatar Mark says:

Perhaps it isn’t spendy enough, but for a paltry $4K you can get a .50 1911 long slide. And they also have a .50 Glock conversion kit.

22. avatar matty 9 says:

A Nepoleon 6 pounder brass cannon circa 1810-1815. I can get the brass ingot on line, just need to find a machinist with a big enough lathe. The carriage, I think I can handle. The drawings are easy to come by.

Once I get a pair if them, I can’t wait to be the crazy old man down the block blasting them off on July 4.

23. avatar Me says:

The SIG is probably the nicest looking in that bunch, I agree with most here, I’d be chasing a few vintage, or full autos, or suppressors to accessorize everything I have, and would have. Maybe one of those military tanks that cruises at lol 65mph or something crazy like that, call it my commuter car.

24. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

I don’t care how much that Korth costs or even how well it shoots, it looks like an attempt to dethrone the Chiapppa Rhino as the world’s ugliest revo lver.

25. avatar O2HeN2 says:

H&K P7M8

Always wanted one!

O2

26. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Personally I’d have gone with a Barrett M82A1, Colt 1877 Gatling gun and maybe a high end double rifle in something H&H myself.

27. avatar Libertarian says:

Mateba Autorevolver in 454 Casull

What, no Jennings J-22?

29. avatar 27 Words says:

I would probably pay that price for a P210 legend if I could actually find one….as it’s kind of my holy grail of guns. Unfortunately, it’s a unicorn…only ever seen pictures of them.

30. avatar Jon in CO says:

If we’re talking what I want right now, realistically, that aren’t easily obtainable at the moment:

X95 Tavor
    SCAR 17
    PS90 SBR

Lottery toys?
    G18, don’t care how, I want it.
    Barrett 107
    MG42
    Thompson A1, I don’t like the long ones.
    There’s a MK19 on the registry, supposedly the only one, guy wants $450k. Maybe.

31. avatar Mr. Woodcock says:

AC 130 Spectre gunship fully loaded with crew.

32. avatar Curtis in IL says:

If I win the lottery, I’m hiring a 19-yr-old bikini model to do my shooting for me.

In between massages.

33. avatar Higgs says:

I have thought about this before. Sorry to go off topic but my ballistic dreams are larger. I really don’t want any specific pistol. But I would start purhasing a number full, compact, and even some sub compacts in matched pairs mainly in 9mm and 380 calibers. Various 12 Gauges , both pump and semi auto. AR pattern rifles in 556,300 blackout, and 308. Finally some lever guns in 30 30 an 357.

Would buy some land where I could practice using these any time I wanted.

34. avatar jwm says:

Funny you should mention hitting the lottery………

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“Funny you should mention hitting the lottery………”

JWM, have I ever told you what an awesome, generous and cool guy you are? 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. avatar jwm says:

Not in those exact words, no.

35. avatar skiff says:

Colt Boa. What’s that?

36. avatar ACP_arms says:

“That and careful craftsmanship makes it tighter than” Hillary Clinton’s fist after losing on November 9.

37. avatar samuraichatter says:

If we are truly “ballin” then I am going Dave Chappelle on this one. I am buying entire gun factory – preferably the sweatshop variety. I could have my own island in the Philippines where I make 50 dollar 1911’s and sell them for 99. And if they get out of line I’ll cut of their feet – THEIR FEET!

* Notice proper use of the word “I’ll” 🙂

38. avatar tmm says:

1. Whatever
    2. The Hell
    3. I Want

39. avatar Jm says:

H&h double rifle in something cool lik .460 rigby.
    Hire Tom in Oregon to take me on safari with it.
    A real Mp5Sd
    Barret 107
    The land to shoot it on.

40. avatar Ironhead says:

You guys think too small….
    Iowa class battleship. That should satisfy all your shooting needs.
    Nothing says good morning like popping off a 2700 lb ap shell.
    Also got the ma deuce, ciws, tomahawk and harpoon missiles, the 5 inch dp guns…. and not to mention the armor….

1. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

41. avatar Chris says:

Maybe first buys should I win the lottery will all be NFA items. Who doesn’t need a mini gun

42. avatar anaxis says:

If I won the lottery, I’d pay Ian to set about tracking down as many obscure guns as he can from his website, and pay him to “curate” them. There needs to be a Forgotten Weapons Museum, with shootable examples.

Hmmm…. I wonder how much it would cost for a G.11 and to roll my own caseless ammo.

43. avatar tiger says:

Novak custom Renaissance Hi-Power. MRI BFR .45-70. And a Artillery Luger

44. avatar strych9 says:

Guns are cool and all but I feel like if I actually hit a lotto jackpot I’d buy actual artillery.

Nah, screw that. I’d buy a smallish defense contractor so I could play with whatever I wanted. Like, buy a bunch of used cars and shoot them with Javalins and RPG’s.

45. avatar jwtaylor says:

I still think about that 1911 made by Tim. I have yet to find any gun the matches the Perfection of its function.

46. avatar Mmmtacos says:

WHEN I win the lotto (you’re so optimistic, Farago) I’ll probably find YouTuber LifeSizePotato and buy out his collection.

47. avatar Nynemillameetuh says:

If more gun retailers offered financing, none of those would be true “lottery” guns. I’m not by any means wealthy and already own a real Korth, amongst other boutique handguns. It’s all about priorities and saving. You know how people like new cars? Ditch those and plenty of gun options open up. Fancy sidearms don’t depreciate as much, either.

My lottery gun list is as follows:
    1. Holland and Holland 16 gauge sxs
    2. Holland and Holland 470 NE sxs
    3. Janz revolver with a briefcase full of caliber conversion kits.

48. avatar Chris says:

FIRST three handguns only?

1. CZ 75 TS Czechmate
    2. Dan Wesson 715 Revolver Pistol Pack
    3. Wilson Combat EDC X9

Of course, that’s just how I feel at this moment, and with money in hand I would likely buy a lot more than three at once.

49. avatar Scotty C. says:

I have no doubt that this Sig deserves all the praise you give it. But the much-criticized Beretta 92 met that standard in 1983. It still does:
    “The 92FS consistently bests the US military requirement of a 10-shot (not 5-shot…) group of 3” or less at 50 meters (just short of 55 yards).”
    That accuracy one of the reasons why the Army chose it. Soldiers who have criticized the gun failed to appreciate a very important thing: They were issued severely worn-out guns, and it’s the wear, not the gun, that made them lousy.
    Wilson Combat will upgrade even that accuracy, along with the sub-par trigger feel and safety, and you can add some real purty wood grips, and you’ll have a gun that costs half as much as this particular Sig and is just as good or better.
    And no, I don’t own any Berettas or work for Beretta.

50. avatar Scotty says:

P.S.: I should have mentioned that you can get the equally-accurate Beretta for six or seven hundred dollars, not $3499.

51. avatar John says:

Serious question- no disrespect: Why is Jon Wayne Taylor your resident war hero? I keep reading this and have always wondered of it’s meaning.