Quote of the Day: Portland Mayor Isn’t Assigning Blame or Judgement in Black Teen Shooting

“Anytime there’s a shooting, that’s concerning. When an officer-involved shooting involves a death, it’s even more so. And when the person who is killed is a black teenager it taps into deep historical wounds. We can’t sit here today and ignore what’s happening across our country. I’m not assigning blame. I’m not assigning judgment today. What I am doing is this: I’m affirming that the events that happened here in Portland are happening all too often.” – Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler in Police: teen killed, homeless man wounded had fake guns when shot [via foxnews.com]

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

In other words. “I give the orders to the cops. But if they follow them I throw them under the bus.”

1. avatar DY says:

“And come election time, don’t you dare hold me accountable for the actions undertaken by those who ultimately do what I tell them to!”

2. avatar Jim says:

More liberal whining. Blacks are more involved in crime than any other race. but they want a pass on every thing they do or its racism.

1. avatar Cam says:

They are more involved in crime in every country they are.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Laws prohibiting robbery, rape and murder are RAY ciss! Probably drugs, too!

3. avatar dm says:

I read this as the mayor actually waiting for facts and an investigation prior to rendering a decision on whether or not there was misconduct. More respectable than most other mayors who have been placed in similar situations IMO

1. avatar Naz says:

I thought so as well.

2. avatar Jomo says:

If he had come out and said, ‘let’a wait for the investigation,’ I would agree. What he did do was repeat the BLM party line that ‘this is happening too often’ when black people are actually disproportionately UNDER-represented in OIS incidents. In spite of blacks committing violent crimes out of proportion to their population, you’re statistically far more likely to get shit as a white male. This was the conclusion of a black Harvard scholar. For this guy to say that ‘it’s happening too often’ IS throwing cops under the bus.

1. avatar great unknown says:

Saying these events are happening too often can also be understood as saying that too many people of color are committing crimes which puts them at risk of getting shot.

Somehow I don’t think that’s what Mr. Mayor meant. But it is a brilliantly ambiguous statement which is a social Rorschach Test.

1. avatar Cloudbuster says:

It’s a dog whistle. It will be heard only one way by the left. And on the right, well, we know how the left will hear it.

Because the alternate interpretation, that too many black kids are engaging in violent crime and being justifiable killed for it, that’s not something a prog will ever come out and say.

4. avatar Omer Baker says:

How hard is it to understand that it’s still a violent crime to rob someone at gun point even if the gun is fake or real and unloaded. How is a victim or cop to know if a gun is a replica or unloaded? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

2. This exactly. Don’t pull stupid shit in the first place.

3. avatar Chadwick says:

Some people like to be the contestants on “let’s win a few rounds from the fuzz”. Nothing more, nothing less. Its like being mad after receiving your “brand new car!” when you spun the wheel.

4. avatar Cliff H says:

If they had been arrested for the act, rather than shot, they would still have been charged with the crime of armed robbery, even if the pistol was carved from a bar of soap and painted black with Shinola.

Why the surprise then if they are shot in the act while carrying a replica pistol that actually looks like the real thing.

5. avatar mk10108 says:

Ah the magic word salve so BLM doesn’t torch their city…you know…walking back room to destroy.

1. avatar Charlie Mike Mike says:

Why would the Bureau of Land Management torch Portland?

1. avatar mk10108 says:

They hate concrete

1. avatar Chadwick says:

Probably just because it isn’t their jurisdiction. “oh man I can’t hassle this law abiding subject right here! Shucks, I suppose I’ll go back to checking the contents of every red solo cup in my area of oppression.” This only funny if you’ve actually spent a bit of time around the blm people.

2. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Hedging his bet, just in case.

6. avatar DrewR says:

If you don’t want to be shot, don’t point guns at people, even if they are fake.

7. avatar DerryM says:

Another Democrat Mayor deflecting the failure of Democrat rule.

8. avatar Curtis in IL says:

“the events that happened here in Portland are happening all too often.”

This is what politicians say when they don’t understand the real causes and have no feasible solutions.

1. avatar mk10108 says:

Policy of appeasement

9. avatar Robert T Foy says:

@#$% THE WEST COAST THERE IS NOTHING LEFT OUT THERE ASIDE FROM THE LEFT.

1. avatar Slick says:

Repeat after me, “Large population centers are not the entire state!”

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I have repeated that often.
        It certainly applies to California, New York and Illinois.

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

No, but of course large population centers tend to run states. In some cases (like PA) it’s somewhat balanced. In CA and NY, not at all balanced.

3. avatar DerryM says:

and those living outside the large population centers, physically and/or philosophically, are left with no representation and effectively disenfranchised. That’s how it is in California anyway.

10. avatar Andrew Lias says:

I’ll wait out the investigation for final judgment but this isn’t looking good on the part of this yout. I think odds are above average he played a stupid game, and won a stupid prize. If he’s robbing people at gunpoint (real or fake) he certainly takes the risk of getting shot.

Do you think he passed a UBC to get that fake gun? Just wondering if it prevented him from getting shot, or prevented him from robbing someone.

11. avatar Swilson says:

Whatever *yawn*

12. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Ted Wheeler is a joke. Almost as big of a joke as the governor.

13. avatar Mike Betts says:

“I’m affirming that the events that happened here in Portland are happening all too often.” No doubt about it. There are FAR too many people doing stupid things and making stupid comments about them. Some of them are even mayors.

14. avatar Hannibal says:

He is engaging in the classic politician past time of saying as little as possible with as many words as possible to take up as much time as possible to prevent as many questions as possible before he has to leave for another engagement as fast as possible.

His statement is meaningless. Traffic fatalities happen with alarming regularity but if you’re getting up to a podium to bleat about it at least have an idea or two about how to do something.

15. avatar Joseph says:

Mr. Mayor, that was a cute way to say please don’t burn down my city because I don’t have the balls to back up my cops.