Blue Force Gear Quote of the Day: Checked Guns in Airline Baggage Better Than The Alternative?

“What would I tell a person surprised about carrying a firearm in a checked bag? I would ask them if they’d rather I’d keep it in my carry-on bag.” – Former Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson in Before Florida Shooting, Guns in Checked Bags Raised Few Concerns [via nytimes.com]

comments

1. avatar Mark says:

One of the major papers in Minnesota has already brought up this security issue. They had to go back 45 years to find a similar occurrence,

“This is not the first shooting using weapons in checked baggage. In 1972, three members of the Japanese Red Army terror group retrieved guns and grenades from their bags after landing in Tel Aviv, Israel, and killed 26 people.”

1. avatar Shire-man says:

Toss that through the reality grinding lens of MDA and you get “50 Airport Massacres Every Day”

2. avatar TStew says:

Leave it to the good progressives at the Red Star-Tribune… Did they bother to mention that security was pretty much non-existent at the time or just cry for someone to DO SOMETHING?

I’d click on the link and read for myself, but have written that paper off altogether.

3. avatar anonymoose says:

Yeah, but they were communists who were pro-Palestine, so that makes it all okay. 🙂

2. avatar Soylent Green says:

The only reason they harp on gun availability is to cover the fact that they gov has zero idea of who’s dangerous and where they are at and what they are doing.

3. avatar Matt.n says:

I’d personally rather it be in my carry on bag. Or better yet, on myself.

1. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH!!) says:

“I’d personally rather it be in my carry on bag. Or better yet, on myself.”

I’d probably lean towards in my carry on while seated in those small seats. Then replace it on my belt after debarking.

As I’ve had 2 issues with my pistol in my checked bag, on or near me would make me much more comfortable.

4. avatar Mark says:

I suppose it depends on your source,

“On that day, 40 years ago, three inconspicuous Japanese men dressed in business suits disembarked Air France Flight 132 from Rome and strolled into the baggage claim area. After retrieving what appeared to be violin cases, the men pulled out machine guns, opened fire and threw grenades indiscriminately at the crowds of people.”

5. avatar B says:

I freaking love Patterson. Wish he had beat Paxton, but at least we got rid of Dewhurst. Baby steps.

1. avatar texanhawk says:

He chose not to run for Land Commissioner that year. Ran for Lt. Gov instead and lost to Patrick.

6. avatar Shawn says:

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Well. Let’s hope he doesn’t do it more than one time. If he does, we will know he’s insane.

7. avatar former water walker says:

And the circus continues on the TV. Trotting out effing Debbie Wasserman Schultz. THIS crazy boy broke all the “rules”. “If it saves one life-for the children”. Ban shoes,ban liquids ,ban GUNS.

1. avatar jwm says:

Ban airports. For the children.

Ban children. Then we won’t have to ban anything for the children. Problem solved.

1. avatar Swilson says:

Oh, I like that!

2. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

On a scale of zero to Ralph, I give that idea a Ra…Oh, Hi, Ralph!

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

I’d rather ban Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz.

8. avatar Carrucan says:

This issue. CNN anchors were crying that “we” need to stop allowing guns in checked bags, or not allowing bullets to be in checked luggage, etc. The fact that this issue occurred at an airport baggage claim is irrelevant. The airport baggage claim is essentially any public place without security. Period. This guy walked off a plane, left the security zone, entered a public space, acquired a gun (it’s really irrelevant that he acquired it from his luggage), and shot some people. Anyone in Ft. Lauderdale could have driven up to the baggage claim and committed these same acts. To tie this issue into an airport issue or checked luggage issue is political theater. By checking his gun through luggage, the only real advantage he had, was one of surprise, as he only had to retrieve his bag and walk into the nearest bathroom. Still, anyone could secret a Walther PPS into the baggage claim of any airport with public, curb-side access and do the same thing. Leave it to DWS to make a big deal about this.

9. avatar Jay in Florida says:

See me as mean spirited. But Ive had enough of this for the children crap.
    I don’t want to see any innocent victim. Child, white, black what difference does it make??
    Keep up these gun free zones and that’s where these mass shooting will occur.
    Keep me from having my gun with me in these so called Gun Free zones. This crap will still keep happening.
    Now why didn’t the Feds or the State of Alaska report this guy??
    His family who knew he was hearing voices.
    They must have known he possessed a gun or 2.
    Its not my gun rights that are to be blamed.
    After all aren’t all these anti gun laws For the Children??
    F$%g useless. As is DWS.

10. avatar Racer88 says:

I can’t believe I’m the first firearms pedant to ask, “What the hell kind of grip is that?” 🙂

1. avatar TexTed says:

You’re not.

“Maybe so. But for gods sake somebody teach him a proper grip before he looses a thumb.”

Shawn said it up above at 9:52 am.

1. avatar Racer88 says:

Haha… missed it. Well, that just supports my disbelief (that I would be the first)! 😉

11. avatar tiger says:

How come nobody takes the bus??? Or a train?? Seriously, what is the point of flying cross country to shoot up a baggage claim in FL? And go to the trouble of checking in??? Take a Greyhound. No Tsa. No taking off shoes. No xray. No lists. Personally, charter is the only way to fly.

12. avatar LHW says:

You should be able to carry on your person without any problems with security. But, I guess the little people can’t be trusted with our own security.

13. avatar Dan in CO says:

Jerry Patterson, people’s opinions and feelings do not hold sway over my rights. On a separate note, why are you squinting while aiming?

14. avatar Roymond says:

Wait — “the alternative”?

I can think of several, some of which may actually occur to some anti-gunners. The most ridiculous would be to not let guns on planes but require them to be shipped to a licensed dealer.

15. avatar Jerry Patterson says:

I wish I had never released that photo! BTW, I have 3 1911’s, fired expert with a .45 in the USMC over a dozen times, and never hurt my thumb. I’ve probably fired 1000 rds thru the .45 I’m holding in the picture. Jerry Patterson

16. avatar Jerry Patterson says: