New From Ruger: American Rimfire Target Model Rifles

Ruger has a winner on its hands with their American Rifle series. The guns are priced for value conscious shooters but punch above their weight with some fantastic features and good enough accuracy. I reviewed the original Ruger American Rifle back in 2012 and Tyler tested the original Ruger American Rimfire in 2014. Now they’re extending their rimfire line with the Ruger American Rimfire Target model.

The rifle comes from the factory equipped with a Picatinny rail, a slick looking laminate stock, and a threaded barrel for attaching the suppressor of your choice. Ruger started producing silencers within the last year so offering silencer-capable versions of their rimfire rifles only makes sense. The Target model’s $499 MSRP puts it in direct competition with CZ’s respected line of rimfire rifles.

Here’s the full list of features from their press release:

• Models chambered in .22 LR feature the patented, detachable, flush-mounted 10/22® BX-1 10-round rotary magazine and accept all 10/22® magazines, including the BX-25®, BX-25®x2 and BX-15®.
  • Models chambered in .22 Magnum and .17 HMR use the detachable, flush-mounted JMX-1 9-round rotary magazine.
  • Easy-to-use 10/22®-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.
  • Patent-pending Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.
  • Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds, allowing shooters to make that perfect shot.
  • Features a visible, accessible and easy-to-actuate tang safety that provides instant security.
  • Cold hammer-forged 0.860″ target barrel for exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. Factory-installed knurled thread protector protects the crown.
  • A 60° bolt provides ample scope clearance and the easy-to-use, receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.
  • Factory-installed one-piece Picatinny aluminum scope rail.
  • Black laminate stock features an Alexander Henry forend in addition to sling swivels front and rear, to help you steady your aim whether shooting off of sticks, a bipod, or sling. Rubber buttpad anchors the rifle at the rear.

comments

1. avatar Mark says:

It looks like the only thing its missing is a good set of iron sights.

2. avatar Jon in CO says:

If anyone from Ruger reads this, PLEASE make a 10/22 in 22mag or 17hmr. Preferably a takedown model as well. Also, the new Magpul X-22 Backpacker stocks for the takedown, please include those on a factory model. Thank you.

1. avatar PROUD chicano says:

OR how about a Mini 14 take down that would be SWEEEET.

2. avatar Cucamonga Jeff says:

It’s difficult to make .17HMR feed reliably in a semi-auto action and the chamber pressures are much higher than a .22LR so it takes a lot of work and most aren’t willing to do it. I love the .17HMR because it’s a natural tac driver but I wish there were more choices as far as rifles go for it.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Volquartsen still makes 10/22 Magnums and 10/17s, even in .17 WSM. No need to bug Ruger.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

Let me rephrase, I’d like one under $1k. Volquartzen makes awesome shit, don’t get me wrong, but it’s way over my budget for something just to play with.

2. avatar Neil Phillips says:

Best semi auto 17hmr I shot has been Savage. Cycles great.

3. avatar Rincoln says:

Check out the Savage A17 & A22. They managed to develop a delayed blowback system (more reliable) vs the straight-blowback of the 10/22 series (not exactly reliable, and also why they stopped making them).

3. avatar MarkF says:

The have made 10/22 in 22 mag some years ago. Even used they have a hefty premium on used market. Haven’t seen one for under 8-900 bucks in quite some time. Wish they’d release it again.

3. avatar strych9 says:

Looks a lot like their Gunsight Scout but without the irons.

4. avatar Vinny says:

Need a side by side to this and their take-down (Bull BBL) lite. Just curious.

5. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

a brawny bolt to contain all that rowdy rimfire… um, no.
    in magnum rimfires, i likey.
    me brudder (semper fi, korea) is enjoying his a17.

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

Do they still offer the rotary mags in .22 WMR?

6. avatar Donimator says:

Next please, similar rifle in their American center fire series in .223

7. avatar Doesky2 says:

Going CZ if paying that coin.

8. avatar Chadwick says:

Oh boy! About time they offered a 22lr bolt gun thats threaded. Now my question is when will the American predator come with a nice laminate stock option and can I get the threaded 22lr with a poly stock? Kinda seems backwards ruger. My American predator needs a better stock and a 22lr… I guess that’s a nice option but I’d rather save the money for what a little plinker gets used for. Also I see magazine options with this rimfire, but when the hell do I get an extended magazine for my american predator? Stop working backwards ruger.
    #makemyamericanriflegreatagain!

9. avatar bLoving says:

The Ruger American rifles get only one complaint from me:
    I’M LEFT-HANDED!!!
    Will you guys PLEASE make a port-sider option?

1. avatar Christopher says:

Port side…hilarious!!! I’m going to use that going forward!

1. avatar Henry42 says:

“Port sider” is not exactly a new term. A number of us nautical types use that term freely.

10. avatar ButtHurtz says:

Ruger rules! As normal.

1. avatar iunkman says:

My sentiments exactly. Except for a couple of misc. old shotguns, got rid of everything that did not say Ruger on it. Got rid of a bunch of broken promises from famous companies.

11. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

If HPA passes, I’ll buy one of these so fast…

12. A take-down version of this with irons would be epic.

13. avatar Kaban says:

Let me guess – bolt handle is only locking lug, like on 455?

14. avatar iunkman says:

I really wonder if it can be more accurate than my American w/ 22″ barrel? Use it for what I call ‘precision shooting’. We pick off 1/2″ & smaller objects from 50 yards with a 99% hit ratio. The accuracy is simply stunning with no expensive ‘match’ ammo being used. I am 100% satisfied with my numerous 100% American Made Rugers.