Mossberg Drop-In Trigger Patent Invalidated, Doesn’t Bode Well for Lawsuits

Drop-in trigger groups are hardly new…and that’s now a legal fact as of last week. Mossberg had been issued a patent on the idea of a drop-in cassette trigger in 2007. In 2016 they decided to start enforcing that patent more stringently by filing a lawsuit against more than a dozen drop-in trigger manufacturers including KE Arms, Timney, and Franklin Armory. Word now comes from a source close to one of those respondents that Mossberg’s patent has been invalidated, which will most likely mean the end of those suits.

The ruling states that through a combination of a couple existing patents Mossberg’s patent for their drop-in trigger was obvious and non-patentable. The biggest issue was a Taiwanese patent for a drop-in cassette trigger for the M16 platform, combined with patents for Jewell and others.

There’s no word yet as to what Mossberg will be doing in regards to their actions against the dozen or so trigger manufacturers. Stay tuned.

comments

1. avatar Madcapp says:

Shoulda called Darryl Isaacs.

1. avatar PW in KY says:

The heavy hitter!!!

2. avatar TCP says:

Dang, there goes my patent I was getting read to submit for a rotary magazine.

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

My patent for a touch tone magazine should still be good to go.

1. avatar Ozzallos says:

In for cellular magazine patent.

3. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Good. Moossberg can ES&D.

1. avatar Resident ct says:

Is that you Gov. Malloy?

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Unlike Gov. Malloy, I only wish corporate death on Mossburg. That was a dick move. I’m fine with all the other gun manufacturers.

1. What’s your beef with Mossberg and who do you hate worse, Mossberg or S&W?

2. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

I don’t hate S&W, I just kind of dislike them. They do things like making really pretty revolvers then ruin them by putting a Hillary hole right there in plain sight. It’s like looking at an otherwise beautiful woman who’s got a big hairy mole on her lip. Ewww.

My beef with Moss berg is they filed a bogus patent and tried to use it to run companies like Tim ney out of business. Dick move. It needs to blow up in their face.

3. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

That and this is an abomination. – http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/464-spx-lever-action-centerfire-rifles/

4. avatar Ing says:

Yes, it is. And I still kind of want one.

2. avatar Desert Dave says:

.30-30 is the new 5.56X45! Who knew?

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

7.62x51R (.30-30) is like 5.56×45 on steroids.

4. avatar PPGMD says:

My guess, Mossberg will dismiss the lawsuits and fight it out with the USPTO first. But this is hardly the end of the fight, as Mossberg can appeal the USPTO’s exparte decision.

5. avatar Vhyrus says:

Between this, trump as president, and the p320 contract, I think I need to go buy a PowerBall ticket.

1. Never was enamored with SS, but there is something copacetic about a p320 chambered in 357 Sig.

6. avatar Kapeltam says:

I think the unit the in the picture is faulty. Shouldn’t the sear be holding the hammer if the hammer is back like that?

1. avatar TommyinKy says:

The sear is located near the pivot point on the hammer and unseen. The disconnector is behind the hammer and is probably what you are confusing for the sear.

1. avatar Kapeltam says:

You’re right. My bad.

7. avatar Tym says:

Maybe now their service department will have time to finally respond to my e-mail

butt,

and it appears to be a real big butt, i doubt it.

1. My experience has been that emails go unanswered. Phone calls were handled satisfactorily.

8. avatar Geoff says:

I guess my electronic trigger is still good to go.
    If I could just make it work.

9. I invented a buffer tube that charged electronic devices on an AR15.
    Then I looked up the patent and it already exists. I think it was patented in 2009. Wonder why no one developed it.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Probably because nobody has invented a mount to attach your smart phone to your quad-rail.

1. Intelliscope did.
        And the electronic devices I was referring to are illuminated reticle scopes, red dot sights, and lasers.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

You need all of those things attached to your quad-rail as well. And don’t forget the bottle opener.

10. avatar Warren says:

Mossberg wasn’t issued the patent, they bought it off McCormick/CMC, because CMC felt like they didn’t have the funds to defend their patent. I used to follow CMC on instagram, and “patent infringement” was a very sore point for whoever managed that account for a while.