DoubleStar Releases Slim, Lightweight “Mortar Plate” AR Stock

Some rifles need a good fat shaming — thin is beautiful for guns you need to haul around all day. The AR-15 is already a design that strips down the firearm to the fewest constituent components possible, but there’s always something to slim down. DoubleStar has found a way to reduce the profile and the weight of the rifle’s buttstock just a little bit further with their new “Mortar Plate” AR-15 butt plate.

Here’s the presser:

Winchester, Ky. (January 2017) – DoubleStar Corp, manufacturers of high-quality, US-made AR components, rifles and pistols, is now offering an entry-type butt stock for rifles called the Mortar Plate. Fitting both commercial and military spec receiver extension tubes, the Mortar Plate is US-made, machined from rock-solid billet 6061 aluminum finished in Type III hard coat black anodize.

Sleek and simple, the Mortar Plate has more to offer than just a resting place for your shoulder. It has a small section of Picatinny rail on the base for mounting monopods and there are five (5) Quick-Detach Sling Swivel pockets for a variety of sling and carry styles. Extend the length of pull by adding the .5″ or 1″ Recoil Pad. MSRP is $64.99.

We’ll be looking for one to test out at SHOT Show next week.

comments

1. avatar strych9 says:

Do you want a bruised shoulder and PTSD? Because that’s how you get a bruised shoulder and PTSD.

1. avatar NorincoJay says:

On a .223/5.556? Battle Arms has a very similar product.

1. avatar strych9 says:

Of course I’m talking about .223 and 5.56mm. No other calibers will bruise your shoulder and give you PTSD.

Gersh Kuntzman has studied this extensively (and very scientifically). His report on the subject is definitive.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

Okay… I almost thought you were serious.

Hey, it’s tough on the internets.

1. avatar strych9 says:

I considered a sarc tag but I just figured people knew about that idiot.

For those who don’t you can read all about the horrifically dangerous, shoulder bruising PTSD inducing attributes of the AR-15 platform here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

3. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Well, only if you’re writing about such things for a large urban-area newspaper.

2. avatar Brian says:

Too expensive.

3. avatar Anonymous says:

This… For $64? If I’m getting less I’d like to pay less.

4. avatar Buzz Word says:

I can see this as useful in certain situations but I find having a stock I can cheekweld to helps accuracy to a great degree. The ergonomics of the traditional AR are superior to the new ‘furniture’ changes. The more an AR is like a rifle and less like a pistol the better for me ergonomically.

5. avatar WRH says:

MFT Minimalist has this market cornered. Oh, and it actually covers the buffer tube like a normal stock. Edit: And it maintains adjustability.

1. avatar Freeheel says:

And for half the price.

6. avatar Joshua D Feola says:

Stop fat shaming my ar. Real guns have curves. If you can’t handle a rifle all day because of 3 ounces then maybe you should man up or find a different hobby/career.

1. avatar Joshua D Feola says:

Also, how are you going to butt-stroke some one if it gets hand to hand.

1. avatar strych9 says:

It’s made of metal… should work as well or better than a plastic adjustable stock.

7. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

I really like their stocks. I have a full length fixed ACE stock and I’ve been wanting to use their entry stock.

But this shit… Way overpriced.

8. avatar Dan l says:

I have two of these, there spendy, but there is no liter stock option out there for ar’s:

I luv jt / doublestar, this design is nifty, i like the rail for a monopod. Im gonna put a small rail on the bottem of my smokes.

And to prevent ptsd and bruises you can tape some foam to the back….i did and luv it

9. avatar Mark N. says:

The LOP is…umm…kinda short. Is it a youth stock?

1. avatar ACP_arms says:

I think it’s meant to be used with a loaded with crap you don’t use tactical plate carrier.

10. avatar Blake says:

Why not just use a rifle-length buffer tube with a butt plate screwed to the end? Cheaper AND lighter. Or just go with the MFT Minimalist, a superb stock, for $50.

I find cutting weight in the stock throws the balance of the rifle off too much. This is aimed at people that would be better served cutting weight by removing all the tacticool stuff from their, probably, full length rail system.