New Hampshire Next for Constitutional Carry?

New Hampshire’s requirement for a carry permit was passed about a hundred years ago as “progressive” ideas swept the nation. Those laws are being repealed, as evidence accumulates that they did more harm than good. In the last two years, New Hampshire legislature has passed permitless “Constitutional carry.”

In 2016, the New Hampshire House passed the Constitutional carry bill 206 to 146. Both times the bill was vetoed by Democratic governor Maggie Hassan. Third time lucky? Now, early in the 2017 session, the New Hampshire Senate passed SB 12-FN with a healthy 13 to 10 margin, defeating two attempts at amendment, on January 19, 2017.

Needless to say, Republicans voted for the bill, Democrats against. The good news: Republican Governor Chris Sununu said he’d sign a Constitutional carry bill.

So it’s highly likely that New Hampshire will soon become the first state to move to permitless or “Constitutional carry” in 2017. As with the other 10 states that moved to CC, the Granite State’s “shall issue” permit system will remain in place for residents seeking reciprocity with other states.

New Hampshire is bordered on the east by Maine and on the west by Vermont. Both of those states have Constitutional carry. Massachusetts — the birthplace of the American revolution and a bastion of anti-gun legislation — lies to New Hampshire’s south. There’s little to no chance that the “may issue” Massachusetts will follow its neighbors’ lead into Constitutional Carry.

©2017 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included. Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar Shire-man says:

I just got a unintelligible rambling email about feelings and suicides back from one of my (D) reps about this bill when I sent out a request to them all to support it. After replying with a “thank you for making your position on the Bill of Rights clear” he shot back a snarky “my duty is to represent my constituents except you.” Thankfully his insanity is the minority voice in Concord and this should make it to Sununu’s desk no problem.

There aren’t enough pikes for all for the heads of all these tyrants.

1. avatar Joe R. says:

Stand-by, ghost-pike 3-D printing program will be open source soon.

Hang in there NH !!!

1. avatar NorincoJay says:

I’m going to be doing my own 80% lower next month. Got a hand held milling machine for Christmas. I’m going to us one of those 80% Lowers with easy jig. Wish me luck

1. avatar Sledgecrowbar says:

I would like to know more about “handheld milling machines”.

2. avatar barnbwt says:

I’m guessing he means a wood-router; the jigs they have now allow you to use the fairly powerful handheld tool to carve out a FCG pocket without as severe a risk of serious injury (so, slightly better than the previous drill-press-based systems)

2. avatar barnbwt says:

That kind of snotty remark from an elected official? I’d be shopping that letter to the local news outlets; one of ’em is bound to bite, even a fellow liberal.

3. avatar sagebrushracer says:

I think we could use the old 3 prong pitch forks, more economical.

4. avatar John says:

The “except you” comment was interesting. Who is the rep? That is a great line to quote in an editorial in a local paper.

5. avatar anonymoose says:

Should have replied that he is not getting reelected this time around and should just go back to NYC now.

6. avatar YAR0892 says:

You should forward copies of that email to every news outlet in your state…

2. avatar Ironhead says:

Except you????
    Ummmmm…no. you represent all people, not just the ones who think like you. That is bullsh!t.
    Time for him to pack his junk and go.

3. avatar Rick the Bear (now in NH) says:

And that’s why I moved from MA to NH.

Speaking of the Peoples’ Repubic, my son had to write to a legislator for a Scout merit badge. He wrote about gun control (that’s my son). The reply was something to the effect that we sometimes have to ignore the Constitution to uphold it.

And here I am in NH!

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Well, there’s another head for a pike pole.
      “Sometimes we have to ignore the Constitution to uphold it?”
      Shaking my head…

4. avatar Doc Samson says:

Giving people their rights back? What kind of craziness is that? I expect the blood to flow like it does in Chicago!

1. avatar anonymoose says:

The blood that flows because people have no legal rights in Chicago?

There’s little to no chance that the “may issue” Massachusetts will follow its neighbors’ lead into Constitutional Carry.

Some MA towns are de jure “may issue” but de facto “shall issue.” The others, including Boston, are more like “no issue” or maybe “go fvck yourself issue.”

6. avatar UpinVT says:

Oh great…now New Hampshire gets to endure the bloodshed and violence we deal with here on a daily basis in Vermont!

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Bloodshed & violence you deal with in Vermont? You mean doe-eyed brown cows, breaking out of fenced pastures and wrecking violence and mayhem upon small communities?

Oh, the horror!

2. avatar Nedd Ludd says:

I think DG missed UpinVT’s ‘sarc’ tags.
      Anyway…

Montpelier, the murder capitol of Vermont:
      Suspect sought in Vermont capital’s first murder in nearly 100 years

Diversity is our Strength!

7. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Alabama appears to be next on deck with ConCarry legislation.

8. avatar Big E says:

Restoration of freedom in New England! What is this country coming too!?!